Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LeVar's Walrus - The Reveal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

It's been used in Breaking Bad
    when Jesse is driving a Go-kart while having a mental breakdown
    , and the Wikipedia page suggests it's cropped up in a few other places too.

Of all the songs I submitted this one is my favourite, a song that still gives me goosebumps when I hear it for the first time in a while. Would've hoped for a better score here but at least it's well clear of the bottom three!

I love that song! Never knew it was the Vikings theme, that might even make me watch it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

8th and getting 18 points is
    lassykk

Remy Zero - Save Me

Was one of my favourite theme songs back in the early '00s and still holds up. It was actually probably the best thing about Smallville now that I think of it - probably only kept watching that show as long as I did to hear the theme song every week, back in the days before you could just magic a song up at the tap of a few buttons. Excellent choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

In 10th place with 15 points is
    cj maxx

Joey Scarbury - Believe It Or Not ; The Greatest American Hero

It's an undeniably catchy song, and it really gets you in a good mood when you hear it. Didn't expect it to rank so highly in this round, but for feelgood reasons it continuously crept up the table. I knew the song, and was familiar with the show, although I've never actually seen it.

Totally forgot about this classic. Thats well in my head now for the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

In 18th place with 7 points is
    Reberetta

Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet - Having An Average Weekend ; Kids In The Hall

Wasn't familiar with this at all. I've heard the name Kids In The Hall, but no idea what the show is or what it's about. The theme itself is a great instrumental piece that grew on me quite a bit on repeated listens.

8th and getting 18 points is
    lassykk

Remy Zero - Save Me

Was one of my favourite theme songs back in the early '00s and still holds up. It was actually probably the best thing about Smallville now that I think of it - probably only kept watching that show as long as I did to hear the theme song every week, back in the days before you could just magic a song up at the tap of a few buttons. Excellent choice.

Another forgotten tune. Nice choice. Surprised Liz didnt pick it, id imagine its right up her alley.

7th and getting 19 points is
    Electric Nitwit

Oh Wonder - All We Do ; Unforgotten

Knew the song, discovered it a few years ago and absolutely love it. Never heard of Unforgotten though, so had no idea that it was a TV Theme Tune, but an excellent choice.

19th and getting 6 points is
    Irish Aris

Lalo Schifrin - Mission Impossible Theme ; Mission Impossible

One of those scores that everyone is familiar with, whether you've seen the TV Show and the Movies or not. If I'm ever trying to do something sneakily or stealthily I often hum or whistle this to myself for motivation, which usually ends up just making me very obvious and entirely unstealthy, but it does make me feel really cool doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,498 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

In 10th place with 15 points is
    cj maxx

Joey Scarbury - Believe It Or Not ; The Greatest American Hero

It's an undeniably catchy song, and it really gets you in a good mood when you hear it. Didn't expect it to rank so highly in this round, but for feelgood reasons it continuously crept up the table. I knew the song, and was familiar with the show, although I've never actually seen it.

I'm glad this got in, was one of my finalists

Joined in 6th place and getting 21 points each are
    fixXxer
    and
    Sawduck

Jason Paige - Gotta Catch 'Em All ; Pokémon

I Wanna Be The Very Best! Was really hoping someone would enter this one, and obviously two of you were picking up on my thoughts. Not much needs saying about it, it's simply epic and great fun to sing during a sing-a-long.

• Advertisement

20th and getting 5 points is
    phatkev

Tom Waits - Way Down In The Hole ; The Wire (Season 2)

Great theme song from an equally great show, and I feel bad having it way down in this round, but it really was so tough ranking this round in general. I did love how The Wire had a different version of the theme every season, and I think the Tom Waits version really suited The Docks season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Joined in 6th place and getting 21 points each are
    fixXxer
    and
    Sawduck

Jason Paige - Gotta Catch 'Em All ; Pokémon

I Wanna Be The Very Best! Was really hoping someone would enter this one, and obviously two of you were picking up on my thoughts. Not much needs saying about it, it's simply epic and great fun to sing during a sing-a-long.

What you want there is a bit of 'changes'... Now there's a choon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzwHs9PhJwY

One of my favourite childhood albums.

No one picked Police Squad..... Im saddened

In 5th place with 22 points is
    Gru

Bon Jovi - Wanted Dead Or Alive ; Deadliest Catch

Amazing choice. By far my favourite Bon Jovi song and I had forgotten was the theme song to Deadliest Catch. Vaguely remember watching an episode a couple of years ago, but not very familiar with the show. It was a nice surprise for this round for sure.

In 5th place with 22 points is
    Gru

Bon Jovi - Wanted Dead Or Alive ; Deadliest Catch

Amazing choice. By far my favourite Bon Jovi song and I had forgotten was the theme song to Deadliest Catch. Vaguely remember watching an episode a couple of years ago, but not very familiar with the show. It was a nice surprise for this round for sure.

Love the track, a great karaoke number of mine, though had no idea it was used as a theme song.

• Advertisement

21st and getting 4 points is
    RasTa

The Blind Boys Of Alabama - Way Down In The Hole ; The Wire (Season 1)

After the Tom Waits version, this would be my favourite of the other Wire theme songs, but as I said about that one, it was really hard to rank this round and they both got a bit lost against some excellent competition unfortunately.

In 4th place with 23 points is
    Necro

Nerf Herder ; Buffy The Vampire Slayer Theme ; Buffy The Vampire Slayer

I'm a big Buffy fan in general and this theme song is the anthem of my fellow Buffyverse nerds. Lots of guitar, lots of energy, and it gears you up for lots of kick-assery and vampire slaying. Fantastic choice.

20th and getting 5 points is
    phatkev

Tom Waits - Way Down In The Hole ; The Wire (Season 2)

This version was released in 1987, Year of the Rabbit.
    A Tom is a male cat.
    Allowing for Roman numerals, the numbers I and L are in the title.
    Jesus and the devil are both mentioned in the lyrics, as is thunder.
    Now I just gotta find some black ancestry for Mr Waits and I'll be claiming my bonus point. ;)

Which means the Top 3 and Bottom 3 here in the final round are (alphabetically)... beakerjoe, Clarabel, Kolido, quickbeam, the purple tin, and tusk

this is bad. this is very bad

• Advertisement

This version was released in 1987, Year of the Rabbit.
    A Tom is a male cat.
    Allowing for Roman numerals, the numbers I and L are in the title.
    Jesus and the devil are both mentioned in the lyrics, as is thunder.
    Now I just gotta find some black ancestry for Mr Waits and I'll be claiming my bonus point. ;)

The deadline for that was 1pm, and while I may allow the other things, I and L being used as roman numerals is far too far a stretch.

giphy.gif

22nd and getting 3 points is
    beakerjoe

Inner Circle - Bad Boys ; Cops

It's an enjoyable song, but up against the standard in this round it just didn't have much of an impact and failed to leave much of an impression at all on me sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I never got to the last six

giphy.gif

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Another forgotten tune. Nice choice. Surprised Liz didnt pick it, id imagine its right up her alley.

I forgot completely about Smallville when getting my picks together for tv theme tunes

In 3rd place with 24 points is
    Kolido

Jimi Jamison - I'm Always Here ; Baywatch

Not just one of my favourite theme songs, it's genuinely one of my favourite songs. I entered this recently for Green&Red's Walrus, so shouldn't surprise anyone who was paying close attention to that reveal, that I'm a fan of the song. Baywatch, Lois & Clark, Gladiators, and Blind Date were Saturday Night TV for me back in the day, so lots of fond memories associated with this one.

The deadline for that was 1pm, and while I may allow the other things, I and L being used as roman numerals is far too far a stretch.

Ah but did you specify which timezone?

Because it's not yet 1pm in America, the home of Liberty Bald Eagle Waits; the first black man to prove that Roman numerals should be valid, who was also great-great-great grandfather to Tom. :cool:

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Love the track, a great karaoke number of mine, though had no idea it was used as a theme song.

Me either, is it also from Young Guns?

In 23d place with 2 points is
    the purple tin

The Mar-Keys - Last Night ; Bottom

Don't think I've ever seen Bottom but I had heard the theme song once or twice over the years. I liked it, and it was nice to have something a bit quirky, but ultimately was just a bit too repetitive and didn't stand out against the competition.

I punched way above my weight in this comp, happy with my finish.

Oh no

• Advertisement

Don't think I've ever seen Bottom
    :eek::eek::eek::eek: funniest show ever!

Ah but did you specify which timezone?

Because it's not yet 1pm in America, the home of Liberty Bald Eagle Waits; the first black man to prove that Roman numerals should be valid, who was also great-great-great grandfather to Tom. :cool:

giphy.gif

I really should have actually tried here :(

2nd and getting 25 points is
    Clarabel

Agnes Obel - Familiar ; Cardinal

I've never heard of Cardinal, but I'm very familiar with Familiar. They used it in an episode of the first season of Dark, which had a pretty epic soundtrack as it was, but this song stood out as being especially brilliant. It's a really beautiful song which I never expected to show up in this round. I'm likely to watch Cardinal purely based on the assumption it must be a great show if this is its theme song.

giphy.gif

I'm just going to interpret that gif as the number of bonus points I'll be getting. :p

If you watch Bottom, I'll watch Dark.

In 24th place and getting 1 point is
    tusk

W. G. Snuffy Walden - The West Wing Theme ; The West Wing

The West Wing was a great show, but to be honest I was never overly impressed by the theme song. Maybe it's because I associate it with the patriotism of 'Murica due to the US flag flowing in the opening credits, and I'm not a patriotic American. It's grand, just not at the same standard as the rest of this round for me. Sorry.

ShaneU wrote: »
    If you watch Bottom, I'll watch Dark.

Done

Top of the pack here in 1st place and getting 26 points is
    quickbeam

Eagles - Journey Of The Sorcerer ; The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

I never knew this was an Eagles song. I'm a big Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy fan and always loved the theme song, but had never looked up the full version. An absolutely epic piece of music. Nothing came close to knocking this off the top spot. Great pick. It was actually my favourite song of the entire Walrus.

• Advertisement

In 24th place and getting 1 point is
    tusk

W. G. Snuffy Walden - The West Wing Theme ; The West Wing

The West Wing was a great show, but to be honest I was never overly impressed by the theme song. Maybe it's because I associate it with the patriotism of 'Murica due to the US flag flowing in the opening credits, and I'm not a patriotic American. It's grand, just not at the same standard as the rest of this round for me. Sorry.

I basically searched for theme songs in Spotify and spotted this one instantly. Had great memories of binge watching it a few years back and as soon as I heard it it gave me chills so said ah go on. :pac:

Top of the pack here in 1st place and getting 26 points is
    quickbeam

Eagles - Journey Of The Sorcerer ; The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

I never knew this was an Eagles song. I'm a big Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy fan and always loved the theme song, but had never looked up the full version. An absolutely epic piece of music. Nothing came close to knocking this off the top spot. Great pick. It was actually my favourite song of the entire Walrus.

We'll convert you yet :D

Which means we have a three-way tie in first place, and means we have multiple Winners of this Walrus, who are...
    Clarabel and mustang shelly and Irish Aris

name R1 R2 R3 R4 R5 R6 R7 Total
    Clarabel 26 24 19 15 25 2 25 136
    mustang shelly 23 23 26 17 18 21 8 136
    Irish Aris 18 19 25 26 26 16 6 136
    Necro 25 21 17 13 23 9 23 131
    Gru 16 16 18 21 19 19 22 131
    Kolido 13 2 15 19 22 20 24 115
    Trigger 24 13 5 14 11 25 17 109
    Sawduck 14 6 23 16 17 11 21 108
    lassykk 3 10 24 20 9 24 18 108
    quickbeam 19 4 21 8 12 14 26 104
    fixXxer 21 9 20 4 2 23 21 100
    tusk 10 20 22 18 15 13 1 99
    beakerjoe 12 25 13 6 13 26 3 98
    Electric Nitwit 1 26 7 7 14 22 19 96
    Zaph 5 14 2 24 24 10 17 96
    cj maxx 17 8 6 11 20 17 15 94
    JP Liz V1 6 22 3 9 22 18 13 93
    ShaneU 8 18 16 22 8 5 12 89
    Homer J. Fong 22 5 9 23 10 8 10 87
    phatkev 15 11 14 25 5 6 5 81
    osh 11 17 10 3 7 1 14 63
    y0ssar1an22 4 7 1 5 16 15 9 57
    Rothko 20 1 4 2 4 12 11 54
    the purple tin 7 15 8 12 1 3 2 48
    RasTa 2 12 11 10 3 4 4 46
    Reberetta 9 3 12 1 6 7 7 45

I hadn't expected there to be a tie when I set 7 categories for this Walrus, but its quite fitting it should end this way seeing as Clarabel topped the overall leaderboard for Rounds 1 & 2, mustang shelly for Rounds 3 & 4, and Irish Aris for Round 5 & 6.

I had all categories ranked last week before I had input any scores into the leaderboard, and I didn't add the scores for the final round until earlier this afternoon, so didn't know it would play out this way myself. With 26 players (the most of any Walrus thus far I believe) and 7 Rounds, it was a well fought contest so a big congrats to the three winners. Well played.

Also, shout out to Gru and Necro, who both also had an impressive run and were only a few points behind the Winners.

Commiserations to those at the bottom of the table, we just weren't in sync when it came to these particular song categories unfortunately. There wasn't much separating the bottom three either, but its Reberetta who's walking away with the Wooden Spoon on this occasion.

Thanks everyone for playing, it was great having all that music to listen to. Hope you all enjoyed it and discovered (or re-discovered) some new songs along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Cheers Levar, no surprise where I finished considering I only heard of one song out of all your picks for each round

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Congrats Clara & Shelly & Irish Aris!

Nice work LeVar.

Chuffed to have come top in one of your categories. Was bricking it there at the end :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

In 12th place with 13 points is
    JP Liz V1

Sonny Rhodes - The Ballad Of Serenity ; Firefly

Browncoats unite and sing the song of our people! Love this theme and Firefly should never have been cancelled so early in its run. Tough competition for it here, but middle of the pack in this particular round is still very good going.

what a song, what a show, what a pity :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Great job LeVar

Well done LeVar, very smooth Walrus hosting there. 7 rounds with 26 contestants is no easy feat, hope you enjoyed the experience. :)

Gonna throw one last plug in for my Surlaw, for those of you with a Walrus-shaped hole in your life! It's the perfect weekend to listen to and score 20 tunes, so please do play if you haven't already:
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/113930289

You know I count it as a personal failure if you already know a song I submit :p
    Knew the song, discovered it a few years ago
    Alright, no need to rub it in :pac:
    7th and getting 19 points is
    Electric Nitwit

Knew the song, discovered it a few years ago and absolutely love it. Never heard of Unforgotten though, so had no idea that it was a TV Theme Tune, but an excellent choice.
    Glad to hear you love it. Since entering it here I've added it to the little one's bedtime playlist so I hear it every evening and I love it more and more each time.

Unforgotten is good too, if you're curious. Slow paced, cold case detective drama with a lot of emphasis on character development. It's not spectacular though, you're not missing out!

Congrats to Clara, shelly and Aris, a fine triple whammy! :D

And fair play LeVar - that many songs in such a tight time, just an insane effort! :)
    E3RC8ND.gif

Hope you enjoyed it too. I've got a lot of catching up to do...!

• Advertisement
Advertisement