Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Didn't realise the €9 meal in bars was a fad

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

We prepared for the surge period by locking down the country and nationalising private hospitals.
    That was months ago. We are on phase 3 of re opening and seeing only a tiny number of daily cases.

Wait till Joe and Mary and little delillah come back from their summer holidays with more than just a sun tan!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

It will take a brave guard to shut down a pub. And an even braver judge to turn down a licence renewal.

My local pub employs over 50 staff and is a favourite watering spot for the local guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

You were lucky. We were only ever served slop. It was usually a dodgy “chicken” curry or a stew of some description with who knows what in it. On the rare occasion we were upgraded to cheap deep fried sausages and soggy chips. Good time’s though.

Chefs drip tray surprise.

• Administrators Posts: 13,772 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I felt it was a way to stagger the openings, the two places i went to were strict enough about the food but i felt perhaps not about the time

I think the time thing is a bit of a red herring too. I assume the main reason for setting a time limit is to be able to clear one group out to let another group in. If there's not another group waiting/booked to come in then there's no point in moving the other group out. Pubs/restaurants are in the business of making money and it would seem idiotic to move paying customers out after a specific time frame to then be left with an empty establishment.

Some places will be busy and popular. Some won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Wait till Joe and Mary and little delillah come back from their summer holidays with more than just a sun tan!

Hey there Delilah whats it like in New York city?

Its riddled Seamus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭I see sheep

So went into a bar/restaurant for the first time today, expected to have to pay €9 for some sort of food or meal before we were allowed to order drinks

When we arrived everybody was sitting at their tables full of drinks, not a meal in sight, in fact the chefs were at the bar serving drinks not food!

Not one word mentioned about ordering food, literally you were allowed walk right up to the bar and order as many drinks as you want and sit anywhere, no food menu or mention of food anywhere :V

Then about twenty mins later a guard walked in, went upto the bar and said something to the owner or waiter, then walked back out.

After we went to a nearby restaurant for dinner we walked past and the place was still packed full of drinkers.

Why the hell do the irish government keep saying there's certain rules and not enforcing them?

Is this €9 meal thing just bull or what

You are fake news

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭All that fandango

Theres a pub in my locality that is purely a pub in that it never served food and doesnt have a kitchen. They teamed up with a local cafe a stones throw away from them to have hot food delivered up to them to serve to customers. Has anyone heard of this happening where they are and would it be considered bending the rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Glad to say that any bar I have been in since they reopened has been doing a brilliant job at sticking to the rules. Table service only, they advise about the requirement for ordering food and the time limit when booking the table and overall it's a very pleasant easy experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Theres a pub in my locality that is purely a pub in that it never served food and doesnt have a kitchen. They teamed up with a local cafe a stones throw away from them to have hot food delivered up to them to serve to customers. Has anyone heard of this happening where they are and would it be considered bending the rules?

I've seen a good few places doing this, I don't think it's a problem, they're just outsourcing the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

So went into a bar/restaurant for the first time today, expected to have to pay €9 for some sort of food or meal before we were allowed to order drinks

When we arrived everybody was sitting at their tables full of drinks, not a meal in sight, in fact the chefs were at the bar serving drinks not food!

Not one word mentioned about ordering food, literally you were allowed walk right up to the bar and order as many drinks as you want and sit anywhere, no food menu or mention of food anywhere :V

Then about twenty mins later a guard walked in, went upto the bar and said something to the owner or waiter, then walked back out.

After we went to a nearby restaurant for dinner we walked past and the place was still packed full of drinkers.

Why the hell do the irish government keep saying there's certain rules and not enforcing them?

Is this €9 meal thing just bull or what

You mean you went to a pub?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭ax530

The government issue guidelines up to people to make what they wish of them. Focus on each person self responsibility at this stage.
    The confusion around 'not allowed' and 'not recommend' causes people a lot of stress.
    I think if someone is happy to go into a pub sit on a high stool have pint that would be allowed. Said customer may have washed hands on entry& exit and not touched face or spoken to other.
    A group eating, drinking but moving from table ect (observing guidelines) could be sharing food, laughing at others face.
    If people not comfortable with procedures in place to somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Went to a similar establishment but you were not allowed to order at the bar. You were given a table and drinks were brought to you. No stools at bar and no pressure to order food. The goal to keep a social distance was achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭fawlty682

We just don’t do rules in Ireland. This dithering about flying abroad is ridiculous too. Safer in Costa del Sol where beaches are monitored and most of ones eating/drinking is Jin the open air, mask wearing in close spaces compulsory than here with our sad attempt at masks etc. Spanish health service far superior too. Change of Government at bad time as Martin/Donnelly terrified to make decisions. Leo was more decisive in fairness to him, if I would not support FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

It also gives publicans a financial leg up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Homelander

I've only been to one pub since they re-opened but it was being fairly strict with distancing, table service, and ordering food. Was there 2 hours before leaving and nothing was said but in general the place was making a good effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Virus cases have fallen off a cliff in Ireland. The epicenter has long moved away.
    People are denying the reality that we are far along in this journey. The leg work is done

I would agree, if we weren’t getting tourists in from the UK and the US

• Registered Users Posts: 18,884 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's a catch 22 for the pubs, and restaurants. If they follow the guidelines then they won't survive, margins were already tiny now with Covid regulations their costs have substantially increased and their capacity massively decreased, and if they ignore them they loose possibility their licence at renewal.

I read several articles about a cafe ignoring the law a few weeks back by allowing sit down meals, but it's that was OK as it was for the Gardai and barristers! , yet if a pub ignores regulations for the great unwashed its in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

lawred2 wrote: »
    Well it's premise was utter bullsh"t anyway. What anti viral qualities does paying for food have?

If they were serious, the pubs wouldn't be open.

Stupid nonsensical baseless and unenforceable rules like this get ignored quickly.

The mandatory meal is to stop people getting smashed on an empty stomach and getting into fights on a night out. Granted the majority of people won’t go around fighting anyhow, but it’s a catch all precaution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    The mandatory meal is to stop people getting smashed on an empty stomach and getting into fights on a night out. Granted the majority of people won’t go around fighting anyhow, but it’s a catch all precaution.

And the 9 euro minimum ? 😆

People with a tenner in their pocket won’t throw punches ? 😆

The “rules” are a load of rubbish.
    It’s amazing it was ever put on paper officially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

I thought it was because only restaurants were allowed open, and pubs that serve food said they should be allowed too? The €9 thing was to stop the peanuts and a pint meal- if they’re opening and serving food it needs to be real meals

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Vestiapx wrote: »
    In the 90s I was powerlifting, so I needed loads of high calorie high protein food. My source was blagging nightclub tickets. Nightclubs at the time had to supply a meal and since hardly anyone wanted it I collected the tickets on ladies night . (Ladies were free and had no interest on the food so they handed over their tickets no bother ) and got a weeks burger, sausage and chips for free in one go.

It was dark and noisy. Most of the patron's were at minimum half drunk. So they just served slop. The food was a biohazard. That's why no one wanted it. I'm surprised you survived it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

That sounds like the most miserable existence , from a food pov. The stuff served in clubs then could barely be considered edible

Different times.

My aunt used to work in the restaurant at Thomond College back in the day. They used to put the food that wasn't sold in a clean black bag and put it in the large bin/skip outside. There be students taken the bag of food out to help themselves.

blade1 wrote: »
    Place I was in the other night were selling pizza's for €9.
    Pubs would be crazy not to do it.
    Some killing to be made.
    And no real cleaning up afterwards.
    Probably about 50 pizzas came out from bar while I was there.

There is a pub in Limerick City that is very popular with pizzas. They have a large floor area, can have a separate entrance to exit the facility, that be ideal having customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

YFlyer wrote: »
    There is a pub in Limerick City that is very popular with pizzas. They have a large floor area, can have a separate entrance to exit the facility, that be ideal having customers.

It’s closed for renovations currently isn’t it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

have been in a few pubs in Dublin this week and every one of them demanded a food order within about 5 minutes of us sitting down

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I was in a bar on Thurs, I was asked to you want order food now or wait a while. I ordered food and a pint as I was actually hungry. When my glass was near empty the lounge girl offered another and another and another. I said nothing, and another.

I left after 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

That sounds like the most miserable existence , from a food pov. The stuff served in clubs then could barely be considered edible
    Absolutely shocking food but that story is entertaining as heck. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭lickalot

ted1 wrote: »
    Pubs aren’t open, those with restaurant licences are

Don't be so naive, half the country pubs are open. My two locals who never served food laminated the local take away menu and we can drink away if we like.

We don't have to order food or anything. In my local area the gaurds don't give a feck and same with a lot of the country pubs. We can stay 12 hours if we like.

It’s closed for renovations currently isn’t it?

I just heard that. Most likely opening up the floor space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Too right, I remember doing some bouncing in a club in Limerick around this time, and they were serving chilli con carne from the cloak room. It was the nastiest of stuff.

Advertisement