Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Electricity supplier

Options
  • 03-07-2020 12:11pm

Looking around again and it seems Energia has slipped a few ranks.

Energia are charging around 20.9 Cent Day and 10.5 Cent Night and with the drop in energy costs I find that pretty poor, now I don't know if they are showing the so called discount you get but they don't show anything on my bill except units used, the cost and the total bill etc.

This is a new one for me ?

https://www.iberdrola.es/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Discounts expire. You need to renegotiate or change supplier. I have read some nightmare stories about iberdrola, some here on boards.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

JPA wrote: »
    Discounts expire. You need to renegotiate or change supplier. I have read some nightmare stories about iberdrola, some here on boards.

I've heard them too, but it didn't stop me signing my MIL up to them. Good rates to be fair, and not had to ring them as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

I went with Maingau :pac: 30 cent / kWh for home and 25 cent / kWh for the car in the whole of Europe. :pac:

I called up Energia and haggled and got a cheaper rate.

18.32 Day
    8.79 Night

I'm going to be using a good bit more now since I no longer have work charging. I'd consider Solar PV if there was a FIT, no point having solar PV when the excess goes to the grid for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Check bonkers.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭eagerv

I called up Energia and haggled and got a cheaper rate.

18.32 Day
    8.79 Night

I'm going to be using a good bit more now since I no longer have work charging. I'd consider Solar PV if there was a FIT, no point having solar PV when the excess goes to the grid for free.

I am not at home at the moment but I thought our Energia prices were about 15.5/7.4 incl VAT.

We changed to them sometime in March/April

eagerv wrote: »
    I am not at home at the moment but I thought our Energia prices were about 15.5/7.4 incl VAT.

We changed to them sometime in March/April

I don't think so, their rates are a good bit higher than that without haggling.

Perhaps you got lucky but check your bill and check that rates after VAT, that's what I'm getting above inc VAT.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Energia as advertised on their website https://www.energia.ie/products/price-plans.

14.47c/kWh and 6.94c/kWh, including VAT.

The only discount you might miss is the 3% new customer discount which makes it 15.19c/kWh and 7.29c/kWh.

I don't think so, their rates are a good bit higher than that without haggling.

Perhaps you got lucky but check your bill and check that rates after VAT, that's what I'm getting above inc VAT.

The missus did an awful lot of checking (Incl Bonkers) and haggling at the time. Will check when get home, but afaik prices have come down slightly since we got.

liamog wrote: »
    Energia as advertised on their website https://www.energia.ie/products/price-plans.

14.47c/kWh and 6.94c/kWh, including VAT.

Show me because I can't see it, if I find it I can cancel my current offer based on 14 day cooling off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Show me because I can't see it, if I find it I can cancel my current offer based on 14 day cooling off.

Found this via Bonkers

518753.png

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

What filters are you entering on that page? Enter it, then click update.
    You should then see the 3 offers with an option to view rates.

Yep I see it and I called them up and they won't put me on that cheap rate because it's for new customers only so I told them to cancel my last update to the account which would put me on another years contract and I'll get the missus to sign up as a new customer.

I said to them this is unfair to treat existing customers like this. So I will cancel and get herself to set up new AC haha.

Will be a decent saving to us because of the face we use so much electricity and even more so now I no longer have free work charging.

Also bear in mind there may be a limit of useage before you go into a slightly higher rate. Bonkers will work that out for you.
    Ours was worked out at I think 3000 kWh night rate which may not be sufficient when we get our second EV. I also notice a lot more stuff working in our house now at night rate.

Also bear in mind there may be a limit of useage before you go into a slightly higher rate. Bonkers will work that out for you.
    Ours was worked out at I think 3000 kWh night rate which may not be sufficient when we get our second EV. I also notice a lot more stuff working in our house now at night rate.

Mine probably won't go over 3000 Kwh at night, even if I did it resets the next month so it wouldn't be that big a deal.

According to the bill from my own meter readings I used 1,127 night Kwh and 502 day from 1st May to 2nd July.

Next bill well see a full 2 months of driving on my own electricity so I expect this to be a good bit higher around 1500 maybe on night.

Mine probably won't go over 3000 Kwh at night, even if I did it resets the next month so it wouldn't be that big a deal.

According to the bill from my own meter readings I used 1,127 night Kwh and 502 day from 1st May to 2nd July.

Next bill well see a full 2 months of driving on my own electricity so I expect this to be a good bit higher around 1500 maybe on night.

I'm talking of per year..

I'm talking of per year..

Sorry I’m lost, are you saying the limit is 3000 per bill or year on night rate ?

Sorry I’m lost, are you saying the limit is 3000 per bill or year on night rate ?

No, but after that it goes up by about half a cent I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,389 ✭✭✭✭zell12

New supplier Bright has below average unit pricing but lowest standing charge
    https://brightenergy.com/roi/about/ourtariff

Customers will not be tied into a long-term contract and there are no exit fees if customers decide to leave.
    https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/new-player-in-electricity-promising-big-discounts-39334427.html

Saw that Energia offer alright - It looks pretty good. We are paying €16.5c/kWh at the moment - contract is up in about two months.

We have a heat pump so a lot of our energy usage is during the day from October to March. Heat pump is more or less off bar heating water from April to Sept.

We average about 20/22kWh per day for those six months, most usage is during the day.

12-14kWh for April-Sept

Charge the car at work (when covid allows us to go back in to work..) mostly. Might charge it once a month at home.

Availability of charging at work was becoming a little tight as more EV's began to crop up in January.

In the current environment - car is charged once a week on average as we are getting back out of lockdown.

Will probably stick with standard 24h due to the heat pump being thirsty for 6 months :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Nedved85 wrote: »
    We have a heat pump so a lot of our energy usage is during the day from October to March. Heat pump is more or less off bar heating water from April to Sept.

We average about 20/22kWh per day for those six months, most usage is during the day.
    Will probably stick with standard 24h due to the heat pump being thirsty for 6 months :)

Have you checked how much the heat pump and the rest of your house is consuming at night?

I'd be amazed if its not in your interest to use night rate.

Its also possible to shift some of the heat pump usage to night rate.

KCross wrote: »
    Have you checked how much the heat pump and the rest of your house is consuming at night?

I'd be amazed if its not in your interest to use night rate.

Its also possible to shift some of the heat pump usage to night rate.

So currently the heat pump is more or less off at night, bar heating the hot water if it goes below a certain threshold (Early shower in the morning would kick it off)

The rest of the house is ticking over at 200 watts only.

I could change up my heat pump usage slightly to start off in the moring at say 6am to 8am and that would do a lot of the start of the day and it would kick in again in the evenng for another few hours. (I know people are not meant to micro manage heat pumo usage..)

We could also use the washing machine, dryer and dishwasher at night, no problem there.

And if we did have nught rate I would probably just charge the car at home for pure convenience instead of watching out for a free slot at work.

I think this calls for a sreadsheet :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just did my annual math, Energia the cheapest for me via Bonkers.
    14.22c day inc VAT
    6.82c night inc VAT

Night capped at 2,000units per bi-monthly billing cycle so I will breach that, even still they are the cheapest...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    14.22c day inc VAT
    6.82c night inc VAT

Night capped at 2,000units per bi-monthly billing cycle so I will breach that, even still they are the cheapest...

That's big mileage! I've not even used 2k kWh since I've got an EV

14.22c day inc VAT
    6.82c night inc VAT

I probably won't even breach the 2000 Kwh limit driving 140-152 Kms a day.... lol

Even if you do it's not too expensive and it resets each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That's big mileage!

2000 units per 2 monthly cycle is 12MWh per year

In a Tesla Model S say you average 20kWh / 100km, so that is 60k km per year just from your night rate home charging (presuming your other night rate use for your home is immaterial compared to your car charging)

Do you really do that sort of mileage per year, slave1?

unkel wrote: »

In a Tesla Model S say you average 20kWh / 100km, so that is 60k km per year just from your night rate home charging (presuming your other night rate use for your home is immaterial compared to your car charging)

And he's got free supercharging.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

unkel wrote: »

Do about 26k in the Leaf, probably similar in the S then don’t forget dishwasher, washing machine, immersion and electric shower in mornings, all night rate

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Do about 26k in the Leaf, probably similar in the S then don’t forget dishwasher, washing machine, immersion and electric shower in mornings, all night rate

Yeah I got all that and much higher mileage than you and no longer free work charging lol. + can't see you hitting 2000 Kwh at night.

Advertisement