Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of barbers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Bredabe wrote: »
    I have a lot of family in the biz and they have heard a lot of this over the years, ppl move onto cheaper cuts and then breeze back into them after a few months complaining that their hair isn't 'right', one even said his head must have changed.

Cheap cuts not necessarily good cuts.

Nor does an expensive cut mean it will be good. €26 and blending in job on mine is like a beginner cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

skinny90 wrote: »
    As I said earlier there is a well known barber who was charging 25 pre covid. For many people that sounds crazy but this particular barber has a loyal customer base, gives attention to detail when chopping and provides a great service. I dont always go there but when i do I know I am leaving with a great cut.

If its not for you its not for you, there is little gained giving out about it online

Did that particular chap use to have 2 shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Esse85

Why can't you name the business? It's not like they are breaking the law here. They are entitled to charge what they want, as you are entitled to make the decision before hand whether to accept you'll pay that price or not.

As others already said, if your not happy to pay that amount then find a cheaper barber.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Esse85 wrote: »
    Why can't you name the business? It's not like they are breaking the law here. They are entitled to charge what they want, as you are entitled to make the decision before hand whether to accept you'll pay that price or not.

As others already said, if your not happy to pay that amount then find a cheaper barber.

They've been named twice!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

They've been named twice!

3 times a lady

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Did that particular chap use to have 2 shops?

Yes indeed. There are also other barbers with similar offerings in galway all charging give or take the same rates -/+ a 5er

Anyone else just get used to getting the hair cut at home during the lockdown?

Its not as good as the barbers but its good enough for me

The wife has gotten pretty good at it so I'm happy enough to settle for a saving of a few hundred a year and give up waiting for ages in the barbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Not Galway anymore, but in Cork I go to a barber who charges €30 and it's worth every euro to me. He is an exceptional barber, the experience is great and the end result is fantastic. I haven't had a haircut since early March and his last haircut has grown out really well which proves value for money. I also know that this guy spends money on his own training to keep upskilling. I used to go every 6 weeks, but would be glad to extend it to every 7/8 weeks now I know how it grows out.

I've been to Fat Tony's and other spots in Galway that have charged me €20-25 per cut. The last straw for Fat Tony's was a shocking haircut for €20 or so that I had to get fixed three weeks later in Cork. I've also been to the dirt cheap places and it was an awful experience. One of the €10 places kept tugging and pulling at my hair with dull scissors and blades.

You get what you pay for. You can pay as much as you value your haircut. I, personally, value having a nice haircut and having a great experience so €30 is worth it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Esse85

Not the first time skinny90 won't mention who it is, saying "I won't name and shame"

What are you afraid of?

Anyone else just get used to getting the hair cut at home during the lockdown?

Its not as good as the barbers but its good enough for me

The wife has gotten pretty good at it so I'm happy enough to settle for a saving of a few hundred a year and give up waiting for ages in the barbers.

I haven't cut it since before lockdown, appointment for Saturday morning. Wouldn't chance a home hair cut unless it was a machine all over which isn't a style I like (on me I mean).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

flazio wrote: »
    Out in Ballinasloe my barbers was €7.50 for a dry cut.
    Gone up to €10

I was charged €12 in Petie Walsh's older barbers in Ballinasloe today. I usually go to Topman's on Society St but that was pretty busy, the haircut in Petie's was good though.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Not the first time skinny90 won't mention who it is, saying "I won't name and shame"

What are you afraid of?

What are you on about? Why would I name and how am I shaming?
    And why am I afraid?
    This thread is about people who seem to think they have some sort of entitlement to pay a price they think is reasonable. And while they seem to have some level of reason to a price increase due to covid. if the price is above they anticipate it’s a big issue worthy of a thread. How about some sort of positivity about how they can reopen and we all get a chop!?
    Honestly there are bigger issues to be online giving out about. If you don’t want to pay the price which is set by the barber then don’t pay it, end of. They can charge what ever they want and are entitled to do so, if people are willing to pay it great. If your not one of those people then go figure.

This went down hill fast

This went down hill fast

It was never going uphill!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I've a friend that used to be a barber in a high end outfit and got some pointers. There's YouTube honest tutorials available.

Dry cutting mens hair with a machine, scissors, water sprayer and comb is is very very simple after a wash (with no conditioner). I've done my older boys fades and my wife has done my hair after looking at me experimenting successfully with the boys. You do need a proper sharp scissors and a bit of confidence.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I've a friend that used to be a barber in a high end outfit and got some pointers. There's YouTube honest tutorials available.

Dry cutting mens hair with a machine, scissors, water sprayer and comb is is very very simple after a wash (with no conditioner). I've done my older boys fades and my wife has done my hair after looking at me experimenting successfully with the boys. You do need a proper sharp scissors and a bit of confidence.

And I’ve had my gf done my hair and I can’t complain in fact I’m greatful for it. We laughed praised at how she winged it and I didn’t have to shave it all off as a result. But if I want a chop so I look the bees nez il go to a barber...And if i have to pay 20-30 euro to look it I will. If I don’t value that il look for some where else.
    I just don’t get this thread and why it was created in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Pre covid paid 8 euro for no.3 all over including eyebrows.
    Not been back since.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

And I’ve had my gf done my hair and I can’t complain in fact I’m greatful for it. We laughed praised at how she winged it and I didn’t have to shave it all off as a result. But if I want a chop so I look the bees nez il go to a barber...And if i have to pay 20-30 euro to look it I will. If I don’t value that il look for some where else.

I think it was created for perceived overpricing. Like you, I'd happily go back to a barber for the lack of hassle. I also like the atmosphere and the chat in my local barbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

What is a good cut? Unless you have roots going in every direction or tresses a cut is a cut and you get to keep your ears-a bonus but not chargeable for.Where's me coffee and cake by the way.

beachhead wrote: »
    What is a good cut? Unless you have roots going in every direction or tresses a cut is a cut and you get to keep your ears-a bonus but not chargeable for.Where's me coffee and cake by the way.

Il let ya know after 10 as I’m booked for 9. Again that’s your view which is 100% fine. I’d argue that a cut is not a cut and il only go to a few places in Galway to get cut. Granted hair is hair and it will grow back in a few weeks I’d rather have it done to the way I wanted. And there is no cake and coffee, just beer and whisky!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Not Galway anymore, but in Cork I go to a barber who charges €30 and it's worth every euro to me. He is an exceptional barber, the experience is great and the end result is fantastic. I haven't had a haircut since early March and his last haircut has grown out really well which proves value for money. I also know that this guy spends money on his own training to keep upskilling. I used to go every 6 weeks, but would be glad to extend it to every 7/8 weeks now I know how it grows out.

I've been to Fat Tony's and other spots in Galway that have charged me €20-25 per cut. The last straw for Fat Tony's was a shocking haircut for €20 or so that I had to get fixed three weeks later in Cork. I've also been to the dirt cheap places and it was an awful experience. One of the €10 places kept tugging and pulling at my hair with dull scissors and blades.

You get what you pay for. You can pay as much as you value your haircut. I, personally, value having a nice haircut and having a great experience so €30 is worth it to me.
    You don't always get what you pay for particularly in the service industry.

kippy wrote: »
    You don't always get what you pay for particularly in the service industry.

Well I did, paid 26 Euro in total for a cut. I was booked in for 9am and left at 9.45.
    It was great to get back, caught up with my barber like we hadn’t seen each other in years, had some laughs and on top of that attention to detail is worth every penny

Well I did, paid 26 Euro in total for a cut. I was booked in for 9am and left at 9.45.
    It was great to get back, caught up with my barber like we hadn’t seen each other in years, had some laughs and on top of that attention to detail is worth every penny

If your happy paying and he’s happy charging what harm is been done. I’m looking forward to catching up with my waxer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Never knew till now how heavily people emotionally invested in their barbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,631 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Prices across the board for barbers as a joke. It's as if the trade got together and decided the customers should cover the last 3 months of losses not withstanding the fact these guys were collecting he covid payment no doubt.

Having a laugh with across the board increases of 7 to 15 euro.

Madness. It will back fire.

What's clear is there's barbers in this thread.

Never knew till now how heavily people emotionally invested in their barbers.

I just want it cut right, simple.

Its been butchered many a times and would rather it done right. :o

listermint wrote: »
    Prices across the board for barbers as a joke. It's as if the trade got together and decided the customers should cover the last 3 months of losses not withstanding the fact these guys were collecting he covid payment no doubt.

Having a laugh with across the board increases of 7 to 15 euro.

Madness. It will back fire.

What's clear is there's barbers in this thread.

Any business is entitled to charge what they want, or even increase the price even it is only a small fee of 7-15 euro.

I am not sure why I feel I need to point this out

If ya dont like it, do your custom elsewhere, or better still buy a clippers and scissors

Place I go is going from 17 to 20 euro. Not sure if that applies to walk ins though or just the bookings. Being able to book is brilliant though I hope it stays for good, tired of going down and sitting there for an hour and getting which ever random barber is free next when your time comes. Now can book the lad I want and arrive at the time I'm to have my hair cut.

Up until moving to the current place I go I never paid more than a 10er.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Place I go is going from 17 to 20 euro. Not sure if that applies to walk ins though or just the bookings. Being able to book is brilliant though I hope it stays for good, tired of going down and sitting there for an hour and getting which ever random barber is free next when your time comes. Now can book the lad I want and arrive at the time I'm to have my hair cut.

Up until moving to the current place I go I never paid more than a 10er.

That's one huge benefit to come out of this alright. Choosing a barber and having an alloted time should improve everyone's experience. And maybe it'll be a wake up call to some of the hair pulling, ear nipping hacks in town to up their game.

I'll await skinnys reply.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Mine was 15. Very happy.

Advertisement