Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Price of barbers

  • 01-07-2020 2:53pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭ Tilikum17


    I got the thatch sorted yesterday at a particular barbers.

    €31 which is ridiculous. Just wondering what other barbers around the city are charging.


«134567

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭ smurf492


    Fat Tony's Barna is 25


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,329 ✭✭✭✭ ben.schlomo


    Tilikum17 wrote: »
    I got the thatch sorted yesterday at a particular barbers.

    €31 which is ridiculous. Just wondering what other barbers around the city are charging.

    Where? €31 is nuts, it was €11 for me pre Covid. Turks Barbers is €23 for wash and cut as per their booking app.


  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭ Breaston Plants


    Reggie Healy barbers only charging €16.


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 55,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Gremlinertia


    Major Fader yesterday was 14 euro


  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭ RicketyCricket


    Tilikum17 wrote: »
    I got the thatch sorted yesterday at a particular barbers.

    €31 which is ridiculous. Just wondering what other barbers around the city are charging.

    31 quid? Where the hell was this? Did you get a 3 course meal with your haircut?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭ flazio


    Out in Ballinasloe my barbers was €7.50 for a dry cut.
    Gone up to €10


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭ DaCor


    Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Fat Tony’s across from the hospital

    Well, I paid €5 when booking online. Then €26 when I was leaving. I was told by a lad in work that’s what they were charging. Unless they have the booking fee back? Which I just checked, they haven’t. I was also wearing my own mask

    Beard trim included in that?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭ Tilikum17


    DaCor wrote: »
    Beard trim included in that?

    ****e lads, I just looking at the card. It was €21 he charged me plus the other €5

    That would make it €26 same as the Barna shop.

    €26 is still scandalous


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭ unhappys10


    31?!! Even 25 is mental.
    Regular Major Fader customer here, I wouldn't go anywhere else, always a great job and reasonably priced.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭ Tilikum17


    unhappys10 wrote: »
    31?!! Even 25 is mental.
    Regular Major Fader customer here, I wouldn't go anywhere else, always a great job and reasonably priced.

    Sorry it’s was actually €26


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭ Bazzy


    Place I go to in gort was €9 now €15 price gouging is alive and well !


  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators Posts: 81,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭ biko


    I assume they're trying to recoup months of earning losses.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ JJJackal


    Tilikum17 wrote: »
    ****e lads, I just looking at the card. It was €21 he charged me plus the other €5

    That would make it €26 same as the Barna shop.

    €26 is still scandalous

    They are only booking in 2 an hour i think? They were probably doing 3-4 per hour pre COVID


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭ skinny90


    Certain barbers have been charging feck loads before covid. I won’t name and shame simply because there’re quite good and attentive, I liked the service and became a loyal customer. There are places you can go for less. That’s the power of choice


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,589 ✭✭✭✭ pjohnson


    Where was the €26?

    I got a booking for Friday and wanna make sure I've enough on me hahah


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭ Tilikum17


    pjohnson wrote: »
    Where was the €26?

    I got a booking for Friday and wanna make sure I've enough on me hahah

    Fat Tony’s across from the hospital


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭ Tilikum17


    biko wrote: »
    I assume they're trying to recoup months of earning losses.

    Sure that’s not our fault. €26 is ridiculous. I had my own mask as well. What exactly are they charging me more for?

    Trying to recoup months of losses? That’s called tough ****, sure every single business out there could be doing it. I’d imagine they’ll lose quite a few customers over this. Two lads I work with have cancelled their appointments to go into another lad that’s charging €15


  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭ lapua20grain


    €26 for me and my son in my local barbers Roches in Baldoyle they put it up by €2 no biggie


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭ flazio


    Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Sure that’s not our fault. €26 is ridiculous. I had my own mask as well. What exactly are they charging me more for?

    Trying to recoup months of losses? That’s called tough ****, sure every single business out there could be doing it. I’d imagine they’ll lose quite a few customers over this. Two lads I work with have cancelled their appointments to go into another lad that’s charging €15
    The extra disinfectant needed to wipe down the seats between clients isn't free, nor are the face shields on the barbers, the rates haven't gone down but the amount of clients they can handle in an hour has. It's not all revolving around you, you know. The beauty of competition is that if you don't like it, you can go somewhere else.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭ Darc19


    18.50 for me in Kildare and I gave €25

    Cut normally takes 20-25 min

    I'd hate to pay €10 as they'd have to do 5/6 cuts an hour to pay costs and make a living and you'd just be butchered.

    It's simply uneconomical at some of the prices some places charge.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,778 ✭✭✭✭ Aadhya Early Silencer



    If you do a bog standard machine all over 2 or 3 or whatever but a lot of us get more complex hair cuts than that. I can only find specific barbers able to get the cut I want never mind doing it at home.


  • Registered Users Posts: 72,647 ✭✭✭✭ colm_mcm


    Bazzy wrote: »
    Place I go to in gort was €9 now €15 price gouging is alive and well !

    €9 was probably a bit on the cheap side to start with. You’d want to be doing a lot of haircuts non stop to make a living out of that.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭ Homelander


    I'd have no problem with a few euro increase for obvious reasons but €26 is far too high for a standard cut.

    All well and good to argue they have to make their money back post Covid, or they have additional costs, but where do you draw a line there. Pints in pub being €8? Cinema tickets being €18? Meal out costing €25?

    No issue with a few € on top of the normal price but €26 is taking the piss.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭ Bredabe


    Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Sure that’s not our fault. €26 is ridiculous. I had my own mask as well. What exactly are they charging me more for?

    Trying to recoup months of losses? That’s called tough ****, sure every single business out there could be doing it. I’d imagine they’ll lose quite a few customers over this. Two lads I work with have cancelled their appointments to go into another lad that’s charging €15

    I have a lot of family in the biz and they have heard a lot of this over the years, ppl move onto cheaper cuts and then breeze back into them after a few months complaining that their hair isn't 'right', one even said his head must have changed.

    Cheap cuts not necessarily good cuts.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭ Homelander


    €15 isn't a "cheaper cut" though. It is a fairly standard price pre-Covid.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭ skinny90


    Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Sure that’s not our fault. €26 is ridiculous. I had my own mask as well. What exactly are they charging me more for?

    Trying to recoup months of losses? That’s called tough ****, sure every single business out there could be doing it. I’d imagine they’ll lose quite a few customers over this. Two lads I work with have cancelled their appointments to go into another lad that’s charging €15

    Thats the joys of being a consumer with plenty of choice. Learn from it, vote with your own two feet where you want to go for your next cut


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭ skinny90


    Homelander wrote: »
    I'd have no problem with a few euro increase for obvious reasons but €26 is far too high for a standard cut.

    All well and good to argue they have to make their money back post Covid, or they have additional costs, but where do you draw a line there. Pints in pub being €8? Cinema tickets being €18? Meal out costing €25?

    No issue with a few € on top of the normal price but €26 is taking the piss.

    As I said earlier there is a well known barber who was charging 25 pre covid. For many people that sounds crazy but this particular barber has a loyal customer base, gives attention to detail when chopping and provides a great service. I dont always go there but when i do I know I am leaving with a great cut.

    If its not for you its not for you, there is little gained giving out about it online


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ Jurgen Klopp


    Not Galway, but a friend got a haircut in Limerick yesterday, normally €12, was charged €22


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭ testtech05


    I see both sides of the argument obviously their costs are higher etc now than they would be before and less people can be seen when it is appointment based and also of course a better cut is worth a few extra quid aswell and appointment based means less waiting for the customer also worth a couple of quid I think personally.

    But as others have said you have to draw the line somewhere. One of the barbers mentioned on the thread (I would use them myself but not all the time) if you get a hair cut and beard trim now it will cost you 42e, I think that is a little steep even with all things considered personally!


Advertisement