Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

PSNI 18 Recruitment Waiting Room

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 acnipsni123

Was speaking to recruitment today and by the sounds of it, those that failed their PCA but got a pass by the new standards (under 4:30) will progress as normal and if they are appointable by new intake it all goes by merit list order so another slight setback for us waiting at the higher end.

I’m sure yous all got the email about them recommencing PSNI managed stages today so looks like things should start to speed up again anyway!

I’m gonna be near retirement age by the time I enter GV at this rate fs haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭NornIron74

Was speaking to recruitment today and by the sounds of it, those that failed their PCA but got a pass by the new standards (under 4:30) will progress as normal and if they are appointable by new intake it all goes by merit list order so another slight setback for us waiting at the higher end.

I’m sure yous all got the email about them recommencing PSNI managed stages today so looks like things should start to speed up again anyway!

I’m gonna be near retirement age by the time I enter GV at this rate fs haha

Well that's more crap news, as if today wasn't bad enough.
    People that are currently appointable should get called first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Thechaser123

GV is only allowing for a 50% intake due to covid. Rest assured that if there hadn’t been a lockdown we would for sure have been called by now, most probably with a few weeks of GV under our belts! We’ll get there, hang in gang!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Anon1810

Hey. ML mid 300s. Think I'm appointable... that's the question.

Had an appeal (driving offences) away for months and got an email to say I'd completed vetting this week.

Does that mean I'm all done and waiting for my letter or a call about dates?

Anon1810 wrote: »

Had an appeal (driving offences) away for months and got an email to say I'd completed vetting this week.

Yes if you have all 5 psni stages completed then you are appointable and waiting on the call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gonzo94

NornIron74 wrote: »
    Well that's more crap news, as if today wasn't bad enough.
    People that are currently appointable should get called first.
    That is a pain. Hopefully there aren't that many who failed the PCA. Totally agree with NornIron74. I'm all for candidates being appointed in merit order providing they have passed every stage the same as everyone else. I do think it's a bit unfair that people who have failed the PCA twice could be appointed before those who have passed everything.

Not much we can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭W221

Anon1810 wrote: »

Well done on beating the vetting and congratulations! Yeah as already said you’ll definitely be in the calls for the September intake now. It’s definitely and call and not a letter or email by the way. I’m early 400s and was waiting 9 months on my vetting to clear. I made it in to the July intake. I’ll see you in GV later in the year I’m sure!

Give recruitment an email or a call to confirm you are now appointable because they won’t tell you without you prompting them.

Gonzo94 wrote: »
    That is a pain. Hopefully there aren't that many who failed the PCA. Totally agree with NornIron74. I'm all for candidates being appointed in merit order providing they have passed every stage the same as everyone else. I do think it's a bit unfair that people who have failed the PCA twice could be appointed before those who have passed everything.

It’s certainly a strange move from PSNI but, as has been discussed elsewhere, it doesn’t make much odds as far as the role goes. We’re taken to GV to be trained and developed and fitness is part of that. We need to show progress rather than go in and be like The Terminator. We certainly don’t know anything about policing, that’s for sure.

I’m agile enough for my age (extremely close to 37) and passed the PCA with 49 seconds to spare so it’s not as if I’m saying this for my own benefit.

I do believe that the PCA is geared up for people of a certain physique though. It’s not fair on people who are really tall and equally not fair for people who are really small. I know two people, one from each end of that scale, who failed initially. The small person failed by a few seconds owing to having to redo the crawl and jump because, for want of a better description, they have wee legs! This person also had a quad injury at the same time. The very tall person failed because they had difficulty making their body small for parts of the PCA that required it. That person failed by one second. Both young and very fit people.

The tall person did the retest and passed on his own steam and was a bit pissed off at the new rule too. The small person has been waiting to retest whilst recovering from injury, and as of recently has passed anyway.

There’s many ways to look at the various stages. Me for example, waiting 9 months on vetting for no reason other than a financial question that could have been sorted a long time ago. I also waited 3 months for my medical to pass, that included me failing, having to appeal and undergoing treatment at the same time. I watched loads of people succeed before me, people at 700+ on the ML. Yes, I was a wee bit envious of them but I was happy to see them go through. At the end of the day it was my problem that held me up. It’s a tough process as we all know and I wanted to jack it in many many times but with support from a few folk on here, one in particular who’ll see this, I’m still in and thankfully I’m starting in July. I never thought I’d make it, the odds were massively against me, but I did. Sit tight people. It’ll come.

W221 wrote: »
    Well done on beating the vetting and congratulations! Yeah as already said you’ll definitely be in the calls for the September intake now. It’s definitely and call and not a letter or email by the way. I’m early 400s and was waiting 9 months on my vetting to clear. I made it in to the July intake. I’ll see you in GV later in the year I’m sure!

Give recruitment an email or a call to confirm you are now appointable because they won’t tell you without you prompting them.

Cheers, been on this morning and they used that magic word... "Appointable" so we'll see. It's a slow old process, especially with an appeal but it's worth it now that I know. Hope you all get the word too.. as soon as I hit class I'll be checking who's on the forums and usernames to see who I've chatted to over the last 20 odd months! Good luck all!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Nhs2018

Gonzo94 wrote: »

I failed once as was injured and was awaiting my retest. Not everyone failed twice and everyone’s circumstances is different. I was automatically progressed due to the latest update. Nothing unfair about it. My ML is higher and that’s it. W221 has a low ML and was delayed due to vetting and going in with those 100s down the list due to that. Others delayed due to medical. Others delayed due to covid. Everyone has had some sort of setback but at the end of the day a job is a job and everyone is entitled. The AC was your test.

• Advertisement

Nhs2018 wrote: »
    I failed once as was injured and was awaiting my retest. Not everyone failed twice and everyone’s circumstances is different. I was automatically progressed due to the latest update. Nothing unfair about it. My ML is higher and that’s it. W221 has a low ML and was delayed due to vetting and going in with those 100s down the list due to that. Others delayed due to medical. Others delayed due to covid. Everyone has had some sort of setback but at the end of the day a job is a job and everyone is entitled. The AC was your test.

Yep plenty of setbacks all round, including covid affecting everyone’s progression in some way. We will all get there in the end though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 peters1987

anyone have any knowledge on the medical / BMI criteria? I know it says 30 BMI on the recruitment pages however I read somewhere on here they aren't that strict and take into consideration a lot of other factors. I 'm about 31 BMI but have muscle mass - just wondering how it works.

peters1987 wrote: »
    anyone have any knowledge on the medical / BMI criteria? I know it says 30 BMI on the recruitment pages however I read somewhere on here they aren't that strict and take into consideration a lot of other factors. I 'm about 31 BMI but have muscle mass - just wondering how it works.

You'll be grand lol... I'm not under 30BMI... Probably closer to 40 with a bit of weight so don't panic

There is no BMI criteria. They do weigh and measure you but it’s not part of anything. And when I say measure, I mean height and that’s it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 peters1987

W221 wrote: »
    There is no BMI criteria. They do weigh and measure you but it’s not part of anything. And when I say measure, I mean height and that’s it.

even though it says 30 on the recruitment pages? Was Panicking a bit!

Really angry & frustrated to know a couple of recent graduates (thereby from the 2018 campaign) have thrown away their career because of sheer stupidity!!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Si_zx10r

Did they get sacked? Article didn't actually confirm this

Si_zx10r wrote: »

I know it doesn’t, but what might be the likelihood that someone on probation, discharging their firearm, being arrested and brought to criminal court might still get to stay in post? It’s crazy.

Si_zx10r wrote: »

Yeah didn’t say it article I read but I can’t imagine they’d get to continue as an officer after that. I assume they were at a party drunk and showing off but that’s only a guess.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the rebrand proposal as well? I quite like the ‘silhouette’ crest on uniform and vehicles but I think the money could definitely be used to fund other things instead. Seems a lot of people in an uproar over the presumed removal of “Northern Ireland” and just having “Police Service NI”, does not bother me one bit

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭SMS19

Not a huge fan

Think the blue on the vehicles looks terrible and the new branding looks like its been done by a GCSE student. Don't mind the change from Northern Ireland to NI.

Wouldn't mind seeing the new uniforms, hopefully, they are moving away from shirt and tie.

• Advertisement

Anyone else to be added to the appointable list?

Acpsni123 730 - 750 ML
    d9427 730-750 ML
    Thechaser123 750-770 ML
    R2024 770 - 820 ML
    Norniron74 880 - 900 ML
    Sms19 890 - 910 ML

Moi, ML 350-450

Anon1810 350-450 ML
    Acpsni123 730 - 750 ML
    d9427 730-750 ML
    Thechaser123 750-770 ML
    R2024 770 - 820 ML
    Norniron74 880 - 900 ML
    Sms19 890 - 910 ML

even though it says 30 on the recruitment pages? Was Panicking a bit!

Yeah, I found that out at the medical. They said they can’t use BMI because it’s not an accurate representation of someone’s health. The example used was a big rugby player who’s fit and muscular might have a BMI of 35.

They certainly do calculate it there and then but it doesn’t matter. Mine was 27.4 or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 JC535

I’ve just become appointable, merit list 700-730!

JC535 wrote: »
    I’ve just become appointable, merit list 700-730!

Congrats, were you just waiting on medical/SMT?

Congrats, were you just waiting on medical/SMT?

Yeah, I had done the medical just before lockdown but had to go back again because of a dodgy shoulder last week. The wait was killing me!

JC535 wrote: »
    Yeah, I had done the medical just before lockdown but had to go back again because of a dodgy shoulder last week. The wait was killing me!

Nice to get it all sorted now, hopefully see you in September

Nice to get it all sorted now, hopefully see you in September

Fingers crossed!

• Advertisement

Congratulations JC535!
    Welcome to the worst/hardest part of the process :rolleyes:
    Hopefully, September calls go out the first week of August if not sooner.

Advertisement