Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway light rail, my idea for a route

• 01-07-2020 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hello,

With more time on my hands recently I drew on a map what I thought would be a useful route for light rail in Galway.

I feel the majority of traffic in Galway is people coming into the city to work/study and to also shop. Therefore I think there should be another solution to decrease future traffic other than just a bypass.

This route focuses on providing three Park&Ride facilities in Oranmore (for Oranmore, Kinvarra etc), Briarhill (for M6 and Claregalway/Carnmore) and Tuam Rd (for Tuam etc).

The route also passes through some of the key places people work e.g. Parkmore, Liosban, NUIG and UHG.

I'm more familiar with East side of city. Therefore I'm not sure if the route west of city is going to the right places.

There would be a high frequency bus connecting Ceannt station and station at the Cathedral.

Places that are not served on the route e.g. Renmore, Mervue/Ballybane, Ballinfoyle and Salthill could be connected to the light rail route up with bus routes.

What do people think of the route?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I think you need it to be a continuous line. If I had to go from east to west, having to get 2 trains and a bus I would just take my car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭blueshark2

Have you seen the research that came out of NUIG on possible routes for a single line? Galway is quite rectangular, so a single line may be suitable.

You would definitely want to replace that bus link in the middle and join up east and west, otherwise the commuter routes between Knocknacarra and Parkmore would be impractical with rail-bus-rail.

Well done for exploring ideas!
    It would be great to have some kind of interactive city infrastructure design map where the general public or academics could collaborate on designs. Something with some inbuilt traffic models or journey data would be excellent... find a solution to minimise the total daily journey time.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 averagejoesgym

I have a version drawn onto google maps but I was having difficulty uploading it.

I think that second image I uploaded is very low quality. It must be hard to make out.

Thanks for the reply. I agree it would be much better if it could run through city centre as one line. I think the old train from connemara used to cross corrib near NUIG and go through a Tunnel under Bohermore and arrive at Ceannt station.

I was thinking it would be great if that could be done again. But there must be a lot of buildings built blocking that route now.

blueshark2 wrote: »
    Have you seen the research that came out of NUIG on possible routes for a single line? Galway is quite rectangular, so a single line may be suitable.

I hadn't came across that research before. Thanks for pointing it out to me. The rectangular shape makes sense how it would suit a light rail line.

• Advertisement

I would ditch the extension to Oranmore train station and try run the single line near Ceannt station, external rail passengers could join there. I'd then route the east of the line up by Boston Scientific, around the back of the racecourse to Parkmore and from there out to a big Park & Ride at the airport.

Clever city-wide public transport ticketing should allow train users to come from Oranmore and join the light rail on the same ticket.

In the west I'd extend out further to a car park too. There is an existing council car park behind Texaco on the Barna Road that is very quiet Mon-Fri. Go from there, up the Cappagh road and across Knocknacarra.

I hadn't came across that research before. Thanks for pointing it out to me. The rectangular shape makes sense how it would suit a light rail line.

Their research was very mathematical, there might be other practical considerations to feed into an improved route. From what I remember it didn't the cross-city commuting well.

I would ditch the extension to Oranmore train station and try run the single line near Ceannt station, external rail passengers could join there. I'd then route the east of the line up by Boston Scientific, around the back of the racecourse to Parkmore and from there out to a big Park & Ride at the airport.

Clever city-wide public transport ticketing should allow train users to come from Oranmore and join the light rail on the same ticket.

In the west I'd extend out further to a car park too. There is an existing council car park behind Texaco on the Barna Road that is very quiet Mon-Fri. Go from there, up the Cappagh road and across Knocknacarra.

Yeah Galway Airport Park&Ride makes sense as it is very close to the M6 junction for Oranmore/Claregalway.

I also thought a Park&Ride on the West side would be a good idea but I just couldn't decide how far to extend the line. That's a good location you mentioned.

I have found a route through city centre that allows a single continuous line west to east. The corner building (old 2 story building) highlighted in yellow would need to be knocked down but the rest is along existing road.

The route would follow the same path as old railway bridge over corrib.

I have found a route through city centre that allows a single continuous line west to east. The corner building (old 2 story building) highlighted in yellow would need to be knocked down but the rest is along existing road.

The route would follow the same path as old railway bridge over corrib.

You'll have an issue with the hill. Its why there use to be a tunnel there for the old clifden line

https://goo.gl/maps/BdS28YLhL6uHfTHm8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,667 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Their research was very mathematical, there might be other practical considerations to feed into an improved route. From what I remember it didn't the cross-city commuting well.

Cross city commuters don't want to go through the city centre. But in a city of 80k people it's very hard to afford both orbital and thru-the-centre-routes: there just aren't enough passengers for both.

I remain sceptical about how many Knocknacarra to Parkmore commuters there really are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Hello,

With more time on my hands recently I drew on a map what I thought would be a useful route for light rail in Galway.

I feel the majority of traffic in Galway is people coming into the city to work/study and to also shop. Therefore I think there should be another solution to decrease future traffic other than just a bypass.

This route focuses on providing three Park&Ride facilities in Oranmore (for Oranmore, Kinvarra etc), Briarhill (for M6 and Claregalway/Carnmore) and Tuam Rd (for Tuam etc).

The route also passes through some of the key places people work e.g. Parkmore, Liosban, NUIG and UHG.

I'm more familiar with East side of city. Therefore I'm not sure if the route west of city is going to the right places.

There would be a high frequency bus connecting Ceannt station and station at the Cathedral.

Places that are not served on the route e.g. Renmore, Mervue/Ballybane, Ballinfoyle and Salthill could be connected to the light rail route up with bus routes.

What do people think of the route?

Great route & hitting the good population spots but I would not break it up with buses, also id go back farther west to Barna & take in Salthill too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Barring the fact that a city of 80k is much too small for a light rail, bus connections make it completely unworkable, so remove them. With the money you'd spend on a light rail, you could have an extremely efficient bus service. Those living in Ballybane/Mervue or attending GMIT won't be too enticed by a bus-rail-bus-rail connection to get to NUIG/UHG.

There's no real capacity issues on the bus services in Galway, I'm not sure why you'd build a light rail. Traffic reasons? Lots of road solutions before you spend absurd amounts of money on a vanity project. Most arguments I've seen seem to boil down to a "Dublin has it so we should have it".

I'm all for regional development, and while I'd love to see a light rail in Galway, the cost and benefit of such a project don't correlate well. Thankfully, it's not really given the time of day by those who have a say.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    With the money you'd spend on a light rail, you could have an extremely efficient bus service.

Very true.

A high frequency bus route over and back the city might allow a lot of two-part journeys to combine to one. We would need bus lanes at the pinch points though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

There's no real capacity issues on the bus services in Galway, I'm not sure why you'd build a light rail. Traffic reasons?

There's a massive problem with quality of service with the buses. One good thing with a train is that it's mostly automated and not susceptible to a driver decided he couldn't be arsed and just driving past the stop. With an automated system they can also accurately report on delays. There would be much more room for wheelchairs and bikes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Wompa1 wrote: »
    There's a massive problem with quality of service with the buses. One good thing with a train is that it's mostly automated and not susceptible to a driver decided he couldn't be arsed and just driving past the stop. With an automated system they can also accurately report on delays. There would be much more room for wheelchairs and bikes too.

You'd address those quality issues for a fraction of the cost of a rail based solution, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

donvito99 wrote: »
    You'd address those quality issues for a fraction of the cost of a rail based solution, though.

Or so you'd think....

They put the signs above the bus stops and either don't have them on or show they don't have data. The not bothering to pick people up is cultural, can't change that easily. Buses don't operate on an always on rail with sensors so some of the real time data can't be automated and reliable. Will require operation from a Bus driver and for points already raised, they hasn't and likely won't work in future.

Scrap the bus companies, sack everyone and start again? How much would that cost?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

. With the money you'd spend on a light rail, you could have an extremely efficient bus service.

AND CYCLE system

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Wompa1 wrote: »

Bendy buses have nearly all this...

The Bus Lanes today don't carry the same amount of people the car lanes do...

I would prefer to see some testing to see if Galway people would actually take the bus... Not trying to be smart, but before we plough money into this, how about we rent a few buses and try somethings out during the quieter times of the year...

For Example... We have an undisrupted cycle lane from Knocknacknacarra to Ballybrit. How much people do we see actually cycling to work?

Also where are the bus timetables for the east of the city published?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

CowboyTed wrote: »
    Bendy buses have nearly all this...

The Bus Lanes today don't carry the same amount of people the car lanes do...

I would prefer to see some testing to see if Galway people would actually take the bus... Not trying to be smart, but before we plough money into this, how about we rent a few buses and try somethings out during the quieter times of the year...

For Example... We have an undisrupted cycle lane from Knocknacknacarra to Ballybrit. How much people do we see actually cycling to work?

Also where are the bus timetables for the east of the city published?

Bus eireann website, same as the other city timetables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Keep it light rail.
    There are other threads for buses and bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,667 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Bus eireann website, same as the other city timetables.

NTA website is better, 'cos it lists all companies.

www.a-b.ie

OBumble don't post in this thread until Sunday

biko wrote: »
    Keep it light rail.

You closed the other main traffic thread 3 days ago...?

You're right. Main traffic thread reopened.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,092 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

To be honest, bus timetables in Galway don't matter a jot as they are not followed. It's 2020 and still we have to have the system of 'wait at the stop and hope a bus shows up soon'.

A light rail system would follow a timetable though.

Light rail would "always" be on time since it has a dedicated track etc.

When I lived in Adelaide they still had the old school trams, they'd fit in with Galway too.

ad13.jpg

Keep it light rail.

This is a pie in the sky thread surely anything goes

It does not.
    Please stay on topic in every thread.

• Advertisement

It does not.
    Please stay on topic in every thread.

Has funding been granted or a proposal been actually drafted for a light rail? Does anyone actually hand on heart think Galway will have one in the next 30years?

Advertisement