Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

7's finished for 2020.

Wonder if Connacht would take another look at Jordan Conroy, Jack Kelly or Billy Dardis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    7's finished for 2020.

Wonder if Connacht would take another look at Jordan Conroy, Jack Kelly or Billy Dardis.

Would be keen on Kelly personally. Looked a decent player and was a captain under carolan. Can play 13,14,15

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Wegians89 wrote: »
    If an 8 and wootton were signed I’d be pretty excited with the squad. Think they’ll struggle in parts next year but it’d be a very young squad. Would need the likes of de buitlear, mcnulty, Booth DTM and Dunne to step up from the academy too

we really need this ball-carrying n°8..
    Then Butler would be 7/back-up 8
    Oliver back-up 7
    And Booth 3rd choice, which is very good for a 20 y.o

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    Wegians89 wrote: »
    If an 8 and wootton were signed I’d be pretty excited with the squad. Think they’ll struggle in parts next year but it’d be a very young squad. Would need the likes of de buitlear, mcnulty, Booth DTM and Dunne to step up from the academy too

Wootton is listed on Munster's squad page for 2020-21. I'm fairly sure a move is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Barring being blessed with injuries or younger players delivering beyond what could be reasonably expected I can’t see next season being anything but a struggle to be honest.

• Advertisement

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Barring being blessed with injuries or younger players delivering beyond what could be reasonably expected I can’t see next season being anything but a struggle to be honest.

Or 2 signings

You have to note based on points, we are above BOTH Dragons and Glasgow.

Won't matter if it's 8 pools of 3, but could have mattered with 6X4, to be Pot 3

Anyway good to notice

European games have to be played in a wider Stadium

if there's restriction this winter, we cannont play in front of 2500...
    Pearse? Thomond? Aviva? it is "just" 2 home games, we could do something...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone
    That news is weeks old I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/dragonsrugby/status/1278297898778796033?s=19

Big man alright, wouldn’t know from watching him play though

• Advertisement

On the Connacht zoom call this evening.
    Andy and Willie both said that they expect the Connacht squad to be bigger next season, when compared to this season.
    Expect some announcements this week

Pro14 due to start back on Oct 3rd - no picture of fixture list
    Quietly confident that it will be a 24 team Heineken Cup next season, but not confirmed yet

Communication expected to go out tomorrow/next 48hours relating to season ticket holders for 19/20 season
    Further communication due (approx. next week) relating to season ticket holders 20/21

€20m Funding still exists for the upgrade of Sportsground
    - timing of development might get delayed, but vision remains the same

Home against Ulster in August, and then away against Munster. Both in the Aviva
    Benefit of being the home team, means our advertisers are on display

Andy Friend giving off an extremely confident vibe, and keeps saying how excited he is with the squad for next seaosn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

24 team Heineken Cup very interesting news. Presumeably it will be more French and English teams in it! Unlikely to be more Celtic Italians allowed play?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Granny15 wrote: »
    24 team Heineken Cup very interesting news. Presumeably it will be more French and English teams in it! Unlikely to be more Celtic Italians allowed play?

The talk is 8 from each, nothing confirmed and with the way this year is panning I wouldn’t take anything as given.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    All the players that were released would have been released regardless of Covid. Ruane said players have have to be told by March each season if they are being retained or not.

One for Connachta Murray has bulked up during lockdown from 104 kg to 110kg according to Friend.

Boyle Conor fitz and Conor dean are others be mentioned have bulked up. Marmion is apparently back to his best fitness wise.

Mentioned Dowling as being signed for the 2nd row not the back row.

On the Connacht zoom call this evening.
    Andy and Willie both said that they expect the Connacht squad to be bigger next season, when compared to this season.
    Expect some announcements this week

YeaaaaH :D:D:D

Pro14 due to start back on Oct 3rd - no picture of fixture list
    Quietly confident that it will be a 24 team Heineken Cup next season, but not confirmed yet

Communication expected to go out tomorrow/next 48hours relating to season ticket holders for 19/20 season
    Further communication due (approx. next week) relating to season ticket holders 20/21

€20m Funding still exists for the upgrade of Sportsground
    - timing of development might get delayed, but vision remains the same

Home against Ulster in August, and then away against Munster. Both in the Aviva
    Benefit of being the home team, means our advertisers are on display

Andy Friend giving off an extremely confident vibe, and keeps saying how excited he is with the squad for next seaosn

Better and better...:D:D

KBurke85 wrote: »
    All the players that were released would have been released regardless of Covid. Ruane said players have have to be told by March each season if they are being retained or not.

One for Connachta Murray has bulked up during lockdown from 104 kg to 110kg according to Friend.

Boyle Conor fitz and Conor dean are others be mentioned have bulked up. Marmion is apparently back to his best fitness wise.

Mentioned Dowling as being signed for the 2nd row not the back row.

Can't be better, this time !!!

110k this is still light for a 2m02 guy
    but not the same issue than last season !

Bigger squad then last year means 3 more signings:pac::eek:
    (10 came 12 left for now)

Dowling seen mainly as 2nd row means obviously a back-row

Wootton not coming means a surprise back-3

And the 3rd? My own guess would be a 10/15

EW Viljoen released by Leicester, covers 15, 14, 13, move to Stormers aborted

A new Poolman?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

connachta wrote: »
    EW Viljoen released by Leicester, covers 15, 14, 13, move to Stormers aborted

A new Poolman?

Noel Reid released also

Cheap option for a year even at that age ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭b.gud

Noel Reid released also

Cheap option for a year even at that age ?

Primarily a centre, who can in a stretch cover 10. Not really the areas we need signings. Good player though and would definitely be a good addition to many teams

b.gud wrote: »
    Primarily a centre, who can in a stretch cover 10. Not really the areas we need signings. Good player though and would definitely be a good addition to many teams

Is he (still) a reliable kicker to the posts?

Leicester will probably release a n°8 too

it will be Taufua, and if not,
    Irishman Jordan Coghlan

I know some would be underwhelmed (I would be a bit too as I think we should put our money on a big n°8) but if we have few...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Leicester will probably release a n°8 too

it will be Taufua, and if not,
    Irishman Jordan Coghlan

I know some would be underwhelmed (I would be a bit too as I think we should put our money on a big n°8) but if we have few...

Don't think there'll be anyone else released, was just the 5 players who didn't sign up to contract extensions with pay cuts. If anyone else hadn't agreed by now they'd have been named with the others.

Don't think there'll be anyone else released, was just the 5 players who didn't sign up to contract extensions with pay cuts. If anyone else hadn't agreed by now they'd have been named with the others.

Not really what is rumoured on their forum

+ if both stay, they have 3/4 n°8, doubt they can afford this

Coghlan is not a massive improvement to McKeon, nevertheless not a loss either. And 1 year younger. So OK for me if we're stretched on budget..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Taufua was one of the original players who didn’t extend their contract

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Can't be better, this time !!!

110k this is still light for a 2m02 guy
    but not the same issue than last season !

James Ryan listed at 112

• Advertisement

Lucas44 wrote: »
    James Ryan listed at 112

Why on earth everybody does quote J.Ryan ?

He's an exception of athletism.
    Yes he is a lean 20 y.o lock

1 to 495 professional 2nd rows who are between 115 and 120k, + between 28 and 34 y.old

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement