Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

You've got a Friend in me
    Lebute wrote: »

I have heard hes retiring from professional rugby due to constant injuries.

Would be a shame but understandable. He's had a rough 2 years. By all accounts he's an intelligent and qualified lad so I'm sure he'll thrive in his next chapter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

I see Josh Strauss was let go by the Stormers even after taking a big pay cut. Would be worth a punt for 2 years on small money until things settle down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    FACECUTTR wrote: »
    I see Josh Strauss was let go by the Stormers even after taking a big pay cut. Would be worth a punt for 2 years on small money until things settle down.

It was the Bulls he was with. I'm not sure on him. Not the same player he was

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd be surprised if any team offered him a contract now beyond Currie Cup, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

macslash wrote: »
    It was the Bulls he was with. I'm not sure on him. Not the same player he was

My apologies I did get mixed up. No I do agree but playing for your livelihood and playing for a big wage are different things. He was very good, quick powerful 8 and that is what we are looking for. Could he be any worse than the No.8 that just left ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    FACECUTTR wrote: »
    My apologies I did get mixed up. No I do agree but playing for your livelihood and playing for a big wage are different things. He was very good, quick powerful 8 and that is what we are looking for. Could he be any worse than the No.8 that just left ?

No I hear ya! And if it was a case of him or nothing then ya I'd be happy to go for him. I'd just be hopeful of a better signing.
    I'm not clued into AIL really but is there any standout BR near enough the step up who could be called upon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Mul, it's over
    No I hear ya! And if it was a case of him or nothing then ya I'd be happy to go for him. I'd just be hopeful of a better signing.
    I'm not clued into AIL really but is there any standout BR near enough the step up who could be called upon?

Ronan Foley, the UCD 8, has been in and around Leinster 'A' matchday squads for Celtic Cup games.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Does anyone know what the story with Luke Cahill is? Former cork con 8, was far and away the best player in Ail two years ago but didn’t play last year not sure if he got picked up elsewhere, he is phenomenal

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭RuPi

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the story with Luke Cahill is? Former cork con 8, was far and away the best player in Ail two years ago but didn’t play last year not sure if he got picked up elsewhere, he is phenomenal

I think it said on the club scene podcast that he had moved to Australia. He was a very impressive player at AIL level.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Lebute wrote: »

I have heard hes retiring from professional rugby due to constant injuries.

Hope you are wrong but I doubt it... He is a class player who deserved a break...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

https://dementedmole.com/2020/06/26/connacht-locks/

A very interesting analysis, which confort my intution Murray is not the "real" solution for lock this season

The article does not take Dowling into account but Gallagher, so it doesn't change much, you can't count both covering 5 AND 6. It's one or the other, if you count both you just admit Boyle won't be rested in his blindside spot. And don't say SOB, because it's just moving the issue to n°8, even with the new signing to come, we need a cover there too.

We're just short, because young players should be expected to play 5 games and reinforce themselves, not 10-15 games..

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

connachta wrote: »
    https://dementedmole.com/2020/06/26/connacht-locks/

A very interesting analysis, which confort my intution Murray is not the "real" solution for lock this season

The article does not take Dowling into account but Gallagher, so it doesn't change much, you can't count both covering 5 AND 6. It's one or the other, if you count both you just admit Boyle won't be rested in his blindside spot. And don't say SOB, because it's just moving the issue to n°8, even with the new signing to come, we need a cover there too.

We're just short, because young players should be expected to play 5 games and reinforce themselves, not 10-15 games..

Murray was really really impressive at Ail this year albeit in 2b he physically dominated bigger players in defensive collisions despite giving up 5-10kgs.. may not be the a game changer next year but expect him to overtake Gallagher by the end of the year and push thornbury hard come two seasons time.. best prospect Connacht have developed in a while

Gallagher, not much seen because of injuries, never have desappointed.
    If you want a tackler, he is (22 made 0 missed vs Leinster)
    + he can play TH and LH lock,
    he's way closer to a normal 115K (maybe he is after lockdown)
    It could be his year

It may be ok if, for once, our 3 main second-rows have a normal season

assuming there will be 25 games : 4 european games, 21 pro14

any of Thornbury/Roux/Dillane are expected to start half of the season, it's reasonable :

so 13 starts (70 min average), 4 benches (25 min average), 3 rest-weeks, 5 "injury weeks" ;

Around 1000 min each, 3000 in total

You have 25 X 80 min X 2 locks : 4000 minutes to be played there in the season

That's about 1000 minutes to be shared between Gallagher, Dowling and Murray

Sounds ok by the look of it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Compelling argument to disband the province forever tbh.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1277631212295684098?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    Clegg wrote: »

Disbanding is too good for them. They should be relocated to Wales

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭b.gud

Clegg wrote: »

I blame Ulster for this monstrosity

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

b.gud wrote: »
    I blame Ulster for this monstrosity

He was o.k. when he left here.......:D:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

jacothelad wrote: »
    He was o.k. when he left here.......:D:D.

Ye said that about the titanic too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

salmocab wrote: »
    Ye said that about the titanic too

That also was true.......:P

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over
    niyi adeolokun leaving connacht?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    niyi adeolokun leaving connacht?

Yep, was announced a good while back.

Booth confirmed as moving to Connacht by Sale Sharks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over

It was confirmed by Connacht 3 weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone

Ya he was included in the academy announcement a few weeks ago

Bazzo wrote: »
    It was confirmed by Connacht 3 weeks ago

I know, that's why I found it weird Sale made the announcement today....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Is booth a natural 7?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Is booth a natural 7?

yep.

yep.

Maybe Butler will be kept to n°8 if we're unable to sign anyone.
    Not happy to have just Oliver and a 20 y.o openside flanker...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    If an 8 and wootton were signed I’d be pretty excited with the squad. Think they’ll struggle in parts next year but it’d be a very young squad. Would need the likes of de buitlear, mcnulty, Booth DTM and Dunne to step up from the academy too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement