Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭theintern

I've definitely heard there's a benefactor involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

JJJackal wrote: »
    No doubt about that at all. You would wonder if Munster (rather than a benefactor) are paying all their wages though?

More luck to them if they found one. Leinster did with Sexton when he came back from Racing. Hopefully it something we can do in the near future as the profile of the club keeps rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Niallof9 wrote: »

erm at the moment its quite clearly the case. Munster and Leinster have dedicated elite performance centres/headquarters. And i'm guessing perhaps better medical facilities. I mean its just a wild guess. Hopefully Connacht will soon

https://cdn-static.connachtrugby.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/21125144/The-Sportsground-%E2%80%93-Inspiring-a-New-Connacht.pdf - "High Performance Training Centre – This will include an indoor rugby training facilities along with strength
      and conditioning, medical, nutrition and administrative facilities. These facilities are essential to maintain
      the Professional Rugby Squad"

It gives the two a clear edge, most likely in terms of prestige and the ability to point to them and say stay here look at this. THe latter has been pointed out by a good few players who had futures up in the air. Its a big advantage.

If anything Connacht fans should be demanding quicker redevelopment not denying there is a gap.

The indoor training indicates there may be a small pitch, thats something i don't think Leinster and munster have so thats good.

To be clear, I get where you are coming from. But you make it sound like Connacht train in a field and their staff are sub-par. You noted that players would be put off by joining Connacht because of poor facilities and staff. It simply isn't the case. Connacht's facilities and staff are of a high level.

While Leinster and Munster have an edge, and are better facilities. There is no indicator their staff are light years better, or that Connacht's facilities are poor. As they are not. Are they at the same level of the two mentioned. No. But are they poor? Far from.

The gym for example has a 100m track, top of the line gym equipment, physio rooms, briefing rooms, an all weather pitch, etc.

1. Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

To be clear, I get where you are coming from. But you make it sound like Connacht train in a field and their staff are sub-par. You noted that players would be put off by joining Connacht because of poor facilities and staff. It simply isn't the case. Connacht's facilities and staff are of a high level.

While Leinster and Munster have an edge, and are better facilities. There is no indicator their staff are light years better, or that Connacht's facilities are poor. As they are not. Are they at the same level of the two mentioned. No. But are they poor? Far from.

The gym for example has a 100m track, top of the line gym equipment, physio rooms, briefing rooms, an all weather pitch, etc.
      the track isnt 100m in the gym and gym equipment, physio rooms are fine but all weather training area doesnt allow too much work to be done to be fair

2. Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
      Have ye not seen Rocky IV? Feck the fancy equipment

3. Advertisement
    4. Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Bazzo wrote: »
      Have ye not seen Rocky IV? Feck the fancy equipment

I believe the other 3 provinces based their training Centres on Dragos one, theres a running track With a punch ball every 20 yards and lots of computers with blinking lights.

5. Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
      salmocab wrote: »
      I believe the other 3 provinces based their training Centres on Dragos one, theres a running track With a punch ball every 20 yards and lots of computers with blinking lights.

I'm sure I saw John Muldoon pegging it up that big hill in Bohermore in a leather jacket back in the day.

6. Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Bazzo wrote: »
      I'm sure I saw John Muldoon pegging it up that big hill in Bohermore in a leather jacket back in the day.

He’s not a man he’s a machine

7. Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Lucas44 wrote: »
      Kenny’s a better player than aungier, would have mcnulty at fb over debuitlear who imo was very lucky to be kept on

Read what I said mcnulty is a far better player and should be playing at 15 can’t afford to be restricting his development with de buitlear at 15 giving he’ll be likely gone by end of next year

8. Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
      Read what I said mcnulty is a far better player and should be playing at 15 can’t afford to be restricting his development with de buitlear at 15 giving he’ll be likely gone by end of next year

Is it a bit harsh writing off a young lad who’s been out for a full season already?

9. Advertisement
    10. Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
      I seem to remember de Buitléar doing well in his appearances for the senior team?

11. Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone

Is De Buitlear not more of a winger. That’s where’s he played for the senior team before and like others have said he did well before his serious injury. The way things are looking there could well be plenty of opportunities for both

12. Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

KBurke85 wrote: »
      Is De Buitlear not more of a winger. That’s where’s he played for the senior team before and like others have said he did well before his serious injury. The way things are looking there could well be plenty of opportunities for both

there's much room for both in the Eagles team, one on the wing, one at FB, that's what I listed, but he misread I guess

13. Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Wegians89 wrote: »
      Is it a bit harsh writing off a young lad who’s been out for a full season already?

Is it? He’s in his 4th year in the academy and hasn’t exactly lit the world alight, may have last year who knows just personally think he lacked the speed of a top end winger before the injury and can’t imagine tearing an Achilles will help. Pro sport is a shrewd business that changes overnight, to say he’ll likely be gone next year may be harsh but it’s highly probable.. Connacht weren’t willing to sign him to a development deal so they obviously are on the fence about him. Big save for their salary cap too if he does see some time

14. Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Kyle Godwin has signed for Western Force.

15. Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

16. Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
      Lebute wrote: »

That’s good news. Bit of a concern around how thin squad will be stretched after last season but still rather be in it of course.

17. Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Hell YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Take that Burkie (from my ignore list)

Fairness and basic logic matter in the end

"The decision to make the existing tables the cut-off point is because the 2019-20 Pro14 will be completed with a mixture of both scheduled and unscheduled derbies, the net effect being that Benetton and Zebre would meet four times rather than three, and ditto the two Scottish sides and two South African teams."

Can help us a lot to sign the couple we need : N°8 and utility back-3

18. Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I wonder what the net financial gain is, assuming the group stages are played behind closed doors. I think we’ll seriously struggle to compete on two fronts, even if we have relatively few injuries (like in 18-19). If we face one of our seemingly typical crises, we will be in huge trouble.

19. Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

I wonder what the net financial gain is, assuming the group stages are played behind closed doors. I think we’ll seriously struggle to compete on two fronts, even if we have relatively few injuries (like in 18-19). If we face one of our seemingly typical crises, we will be in huge trouble.

TV rights still better shared by unions for Champions Cup competitors than if we were in Challenge Cup I guess

It's a huge gain long-term : exposure, fame, make us more attractive for NIQ even on low money, and more "undisbandable" for IRFU

20. Advertisement
    21. Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Mul, it's over
      Dunno if I'm just predisposed to be negative about everything at the moment but with our current squad we could be looking at some seriously grim results. With all the academy promotions the challenge cup might be no harm. That being said we try and fail to make champions cup so often we'll take it

22. Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
      connachta wrote: »

"The decision to make the existing tables the cut-off point is because the 2019-20 Pro14 will be completed with a mixture of both scheduled and unscheduled derbies, the net effect being that Benetton and Zebre would meet four times rather than three, and ditto the two Scottish sides and two South African teams."

Can help us a lot to sign the couple we need : N°8 and utility back-3

The reason we are in is because of the expansion of the CC. We are still in fourth and if it had been a 20 team CC we would have had a play off against the dragons.

Also, serious lack of class in that post

23. Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You've got a Friend in me
      connachta wrote: »

For months you have been saying that there is a giant conspiracy against Connacht.

Now both the Pro14 and EPCR have fixed it very nicely for Connacht.

You're the one in the wrong here.

24. Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over

I would be surprised if crowds aren’t back relatively early next season, barring a ‘second wave’.

It seems like Pro14 and champions cup will start around November, can’t see matches being behind closed doors at that stage.

25. Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Redo91

You've got a Friend in me

Maybe I’m being overly positive here but I’d be hopefully that fans will be at games by the time next seasons Pro 14 gets under way on the 3rd October as scheduled. That’s a long way away yet.

Completely agree with the concerns about the squad but hopefully we can add a few more bodies now that there is a bit of certainty. I certainly rather be in the Champions Cup if given the choice.

26. Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
      Great news. You would hope a few more might be added now with that certainty. We're a more attractive proposition now definitely. We certainly need 2/3 more but could probably do with a few others on top of that. Might this news boost sponsor investment now do ye think?

27. Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
      Definitely one back three player and one backrow. Maybe someone who can cover 10? Possibly another loosehead

28. Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
      macslash wrote: »
      Great news. You would hope a few more might be added now with that certainty. We're a more attractive proposition now definitely. We certainly need 2/3 more but could probably do with a few others on top of that. Might this news boost sponsor investment now do ye think?

Cannot see any increases in sponsor money. Lot of companies dealing with a large hit due to Covid so retaining existing sponsors is likely the priority

29. Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
      macslash wrote: »
      Definitely one back three player and one backrow. Maybe someone who can cover 10? Possibly another loosehead
      Don’t think another loose head would be coming in, with 4 senior loose heads already in the squad

30. Advertisement
    31. Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
      Wegians89 wrote: »
      Don’t think another loose head would be coming in, with 4 senior loose heads already in the squad

You're right. I wasn't thinking. I suppose it's more an area I would be worried about with injuries

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement