Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Audi e-tron

Options
  • 01-07-2020 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,669 ✭✭✭✭

I dont see an audi etron thread so im starting one!

I am eagerly awaiting collection, hopefully next week so starting a thread to see if there are any other owners and chronicle my experiences.

First off why an etron, well it was pretty simple, i needed something large for the family, i had a 2017 GLC to trade and i had a certain budget. Given that we only run one family car at the moment preference is for it to be within a manufacturer warranty.

Tesla model 3 was too small, model s and X dont really do it for me, and trading against them and getting warranty etc is difficult.

Left me with the EQC, Etron and I pace. All in full fat variants were too expensive, then i noticed audi were doing a lower power version which would just about be doable with a decent trade in.

The etron 50 has a range of 250-300km weather dependent and driving depending (bjorn has it at 270 winter range and 300 summer range v 330 and 370 for the 55). The 50 makes do with 313PS and 540Nm of torque v 360Ps and 561NM for the 55 (which also has a 10 second overboost to over 400bhp for the 0-60 run).

Anyway the 50 is plenty quick compared to a GLC220 and it will be nice to be in a quick car again after the last few diesel family mobiles!

We live in Dublin in the burbs, the range will cover 90%+ of our driving with ease and the 55 would likely need a top up on longer trips anyway so range not so much of a concern.

Spec i chose was the Etron sport (you get the nice valcona leather, 20" wheels and a few other bits and pieces) in typhoon grey with the black pack and factory tinted rear windows.

Yesterday i had electric ireland out to install my home charge point, went with the eo mini pro. Its a neat install with the cabling to the fuseboard hidden behind utility room cabinets and out through the wall low behind the washing machine. They used armoured cable so that the cable could be run along the wall at the side of the house where there is a stoned section to the side of our side access path. The unit is then hidden in behind a rain drain, if it wasnt for the isolation switch it would be very stealthy!.

E tron is due to be collected next week, so i have the charger in, maingau, electric ireland and chargepoint rfid cards, moved to day night rate with energia, so i think im ready to go.

Pics of the charge point ill post later if anyone is interested and car and first impressions next week.

Update:

Charge point installed, pics below

This is my install for anyone interested, KN OBO Electric Ireland, EO Smart home.

Smart hub beside the fuse board (and underneath the alarm gubbins)

8jtuHUL.jpg

View from the front of the house

UBlEG2B.jpg

Where the point is installed

upes4pW.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Well wear and can't wait for your updates when you get it!

The e-tron 50 is a bit of a bargain, smart move from Audi to bring the price down significantly. I personally know several people who were in the market for a car like the e-tron and EQC, but were baulking at the price, and rightly thinking the fuel savings will never be enough to cover the extra money these cars cost compared to similar petrol / diesel offerings from the same makes

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

unkel wrote: »
    The e-tron 50 is a bit of a bargain

Hmm, €81,320 + options.

Does the standard spec have 2 zone aircon or one?

700 for the side acoustic glazing looks worth considering.

I reckon I could keep it to around 85k-ish with a bit of restraint (non-black paint, audio upgrade, acoustic glazing, tow hitch).

edit: looks to be about 5% more expensive than a diesel A6 Allroad.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

There were a few here and there, but no proper e-tron thread. Great buy, the e-tron seemed like a really nice car when we went to check one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,669 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Lumen wrote: »
    Hmm, €81,320 + options.

Does the standard spec have 2 zone aircon or one?

700 for the side acoustic glazing looks worth considering.

I reckon I could keep it to around 85k-ish with a bit of restraint (non-black paint, audio upgrade, acoustic glazing, tow hitch).

edit: looks to be about 5% more expensive than a diesel A6 Allroad.

the prices are quoted without the grants.

so my spec was circa 86k, with grants and discounts it netted to 72k or so.

just specced an allroad with metallic paint, 50 designation and same interior and its over 90k

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Cyrus wrote: »

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

Seriously, that's about the same as a Model 3P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Daharmaster

Does anyone know if you can practically fit 3 child seats in the back of this model. Appears to be only two outer isofix, is there sufficient width for a third seat? Say one baby seat and toddler seats.

Like in most cars, it depends on what child seats they are. Bring your seats to the dealer and try them, is your only way to find out :)

Does anyone know if you can practically fit 3 child seats in the back of this model. Appears to be only two outer isofix, is there sufficient width for a third seat? Say one baby seat and toddler seats.

I’ll let you know next week but it’s definitely noticeably wider across the back v the glc

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

I test drove the 55 yesterday and really enjoyed the drive. It’s quick and among the comfiest cars I have ever experienced with air suspension.

I like how the Sportback looks. I might even be tempted by a demo 55 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭MarkN

I put two child seats in the back of one and you'd fit a small adult in the middle but not a third full seat. You may fit a lower booster. I can't remember off the top of my head, there may be an isofix in front passenger too.

Screenshot-2020-07-01-at-22-36-21.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Best of luck with it Niall.
    Looking forward to the pics when our collect it.

Will you be leaving it with anyone for a ceramic or similar coating?
    Considering it’s brand new, it’s the best time to get it done and should require little to no paint correction making it also the cheapest time to get it done.

Gumbo wrote: »
    Best of luck with it Niall.
    Looking forward to the pics when our collect it.

Will you be leaving it with anyone for a ceramic or similar coating?
    Considering it’s brand new, it’s the best time to get it done and should require little to no paint correction making it also the cheapest time to get it done.

I’ll probably get it lightly polished and waxed straight away but hasnt thought about ceramic . Things have moved on a bit on that front I think.

I can’t leave it with someone for a few days so that probably rules that out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

EO installation looks really nicely done! Very minimal. Nice job.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,358 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Love the EO! It's so neat.

Neat small charge point, tucked behind the rain pipe. But that AC disconnect stands out like a sore thumb. Was there really a need for one? There seems to be confusion over this amongst electricians themselves.

There is no ambiguity any more i believe, you have to have one,

certainly if you use electric ireland & KN.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

just specced an allroad with metallic paint, 50 designation and same interior and its over 90k

Seems like a great option, appreciate the M3P is a different buyer but I'd buy the eTron.

Would you mind me asking how you got it to €72K with a trade in. PM me if you want as I'd consider this myself.

AmberGold wrote: »
    Seems like a great option, appreciate the M3P is a different buyer but I'd buy the eTron.

Would you mind me asking how you got it to €72K with a trade in. PM me if you want as I'd consider this myself.

hi no big secret :)

the etron sport is 80,320 (includes 1k for delivery :rolleyes:)

Add metallic paint 1,377 :rolleyes:
    Black pack and privacy glass 1,591
    Service pack (includes set of tyres) 1,000

gets you to 84,288

VRT rebate & SEAI Grant is 10k

74,288 and i got 3,500k off the list price left me at 70,788. (thought it was 72, but better then!)

my trade in was set already in that they have this app where they goto traders and take the best offer (audi werent going to retail my GLC) so that was set at 35k, the discount is either a top up on that or off retail whatever you prefer to see it as.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Neat small charge point, tucked behind the rain pipe. But that AC disconnect stands out like a sore thumb. Was there really a need for one? There seems to be confusion over this amongst electricians themselves.

There's no confusion, you must have one. It must be within 2m (I think) of the EVCP and it must be outside where the public can access it. Our installation was randomly audited and had to be tweaked a little.

markpb wrote: »
    There's no confusion, you must have one. It must be within 2m (I think) of the EVCP and it must be outside where the public can access it. Our installation was randomly audited and had to be tweaked a little.
    Mine does not have this.

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    Mine does not have this.

when was it installed?

when was it installed?
    There's a visible fuse switch in the unit but I do not have the standalone "big red off" switch.

ELM327 wrote: »
    There's a visible fuse switch in the unit but I do not have the standalone "big red off" switch.

dunno, presume something changed in the past 2 years that necessitated this then,

i agree it looks crap so ill figure something out, either paint it black or get a black box that fits over it

I think the standards changed in the UK alright very recently. Not quite sure about here though, it has been discussed but I can't remember if there was any conclusion made. I doubt you are allowed to fit a box over it, if the disconnect (on the outside of the house) was a requirement in the first place.

I think the standards changed in the UK alright very recently. Not quite sure about here though, it has been discussed but I can't remember if there was any conclusion made. I doubt you are allowed to fit a box over it, if the disconnect (on the outside of the house) was a requirement in the first place.

im sure im not but who is going to police that :D

i think in the UK you need an earth rod which is a pain as well

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Matt black spray paint, 30 seconds, over and done with

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Enjoyed a test drive last week in a etron, trouble is that its a wide beast and nearly as big as A model S and REALLY THIRSTY. I have a heavy right foot and even with trying to be economical I don’t think its possible to get under 20kwh / 100km. At 120 (ish) you can visibly see the state of charge drop alarmingly. Audi were not really into doing a decent deal with price or trade in so not for me.

I just put a deposit down for a EQC, not much difference to the etron to be fair with equipment and comfort but EQC felt like it had more tech. I felt it handled a bit better and didnt show the weight of the car like the etron, the EQC was certainly nippier off the line. Mercedes were more open to negotiation and a good trade in value for the M3 which sealed the deal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The old electrical regulations (ET101) have been now superseded by an IS standard (IS10101:2020) so it may have been in line with that update.

We have had some alterations in our inspections in work particularly around wiring for fire alarm systems.

krissovo wrote: »
    Enjoyed a test drive last week in a etron, trouble is that its a wide beast and nearly as big as A model S and REALLY THIRSTY. I have a heavy right foot and even with trying to be economical I don’t think its possible to get under 20kwh / 100km. At 120 (ish) you can visibly see the state of charge drop alarmingly. Audi were not really into doing a decent deal with price or trade in so not for me.

I just put a deposit down for a EQC, not much difference to the etron to be fair with equipment and comfort but EQC felt like it had more tech. I felt it handled a bit better and didnt show the weight of the car like the etron, the EQC was certainly nippier off the line. Mercedes were more open to negotiation and a good trade in value for the M3 which sealed the deal.

Congrats look forward to your opinion when you get it! After 3 years of a glc the eqc just didn’t feel different enough for me nor could I afford it !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Congrats look forward to your opinion when you get it! After 3 years of a glc the eqc just didn’t feel different enough for me nor could I afford it !!

You highlight an interesting point, the GLC platform was designed for ICE and 5+? years old so the clearly as an EV it will be compromised and no way if I was a ICE GLC owner would pay the premium for the EV version. My last Merc was a CLS before I switched to EV so I am happy to get back into a merc again.

Advertisement