Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Of Us 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Although for the most part the game is quite good at subtly implying where the point of no return is.

Yea I honestly never had an issue with being gated off from an area I hadn't finished exploring. Leaving permanently usually involves lifting a door or pulling a chain which require you to told triangle. It also can be large drops that you clearly can't get back up from.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,114 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

You're about halfway, may a little under.
    Markitron wrote: »
    You are almost exactly halfway. I think I got to that point at about 14 hours and I finished it at 28 hours

A little under halfway?! This game is far, far too long. End of Seattle Day 3...
    Ellie in the Aquarium felt like it was building to a natural crescendo, not a half-time break.

Been years since I played TLOU but I feel it must be about half the size of this.

Bigger isn't always better!

J. Marston wrote: »
    A little under halfway?! This game is far, far too long. End of Seattle Day 3...
    Ellie in the Aquarium felt like it was building to a natural crescendo, not a half-time break.

Been years since I played TLOU but I feel it must be about half the size of this.

Bigger isn't always better!

You should reserve your opinion until you finish the game, the length is perfect for the story they tell, just like the last one. Also the second half of the game has some of the best sequences.

The actual crescendo and everything around it is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

You should reserve your opinion until you finish the game, the length is perfect for the story they tell, just like the last one. Also the second half of the game has some of the best sequences.

The actual crescendo and everything around it is amazing.

Have to admit, it took me a couple of hours to be convinced that what happens halfway through was a good idea but as the story developed I really enjoyed where it went and there is a couple of great set pieces in the second half.

Have to admit, it took me a couple of hours to be convinced that what happens halfway through was a good idea but as the story developed I really enjoyed where it went and there is a couple of great set pieces in the second half.

On the whole, I think the second half is better, but the best sequence of all is Day 2 in the first half. Christ that was just non-stop.

• Advertisement

On the whole, I think the second half is better, but the best sequence of all is Day 2 in the first half. Christ that was just non-stop.

I thought all of Day 2 was great. Some amazingly tense stuff in it.

I think I should be finished it this evening.
    Back in control of Ellie and fighting to keep it vague enough
    - looking forward to seeing the very end.

I thought all of Day 2 was great. Some amazingly tense stuff in it.

I think I should be finished it this evening.
    Back in control of Ellie and fighting to keep it vague enough
    - looking forward to seeing the very end.

You are in the endgame section, and it is shorter than any of the previous days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Spoilers for near end game below..
    So I've just left the farm to go and finish the job. And now I'm suddenly back playing as Abby again. I feel like they may have allowed us to play just as her for a little too long. But I have to say, I hated her in the beginning. Then I warmed to her. Then after the game makes you attack Ellie, and she beats Ellie to a pulp, I was very much back in the "I hate her" category. So now that I'm back as her again, I feel its a little jarring to now try and empathise with her again. I dunno. Maybe this section of her isn't that long, but I'd have probably preferred to play as solely Ellie from here on out.

I'm 20 hours in, so I assume I probably have about 4 to 5 hours left?

On a side note: did Dina produce the worlds cutest baby?

Spoilers for near end game below..
    So I've just left the farm to go and finish the job. And now I'm suddenly back playing as Abby again. I feel like they may have allowed us to play just as her for a little too long. But I have to say, I hated her in the beginning. Then I warmed to her. Then after the game makes you attack Ellie, and she beats Ellie to a pulp, I was very much back in the "I hate her" category. So now that I'm back as her again, I feel its a little jarring to now try and empathise with her again. I dunno. Maybe this section of her isn't that long, but I'd have probably preferred to play as solely Ellie from here on out.

I'm 20 hours in, so I assume I probably have about 4 to 5 hours left?

On a side note: did Dina produce the worlds cutest baby?

I am going to sound like a parrot here, but just reserve judgement on this until the end. I really like how this sequence of events came together in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Fighting Ellie was the dumbest thing a videogame ever made me do. I must have died seven or eight times before I realised I was going to have to go through with it.

Sales have dropped 80% week on week but apparently that's not unusual for a game that sold so well initially

• Advertisement

I am going to sound like a parrot here, but just reserve judgement on this until the end. I really like how this sequence of events came together in the end.

For sure. Either way, I've loved it. And its a shame people refuse to play this game. Its incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,505 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm past day 3 A, and i ****ing love it. I'd say I'll be finished up tonight but don't want it to end.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Fighting Ellie was the dumbest thing a videogame ever made me do. I must have died seven or eight times before I realised I was going to have to go through with it.

Sales have dropped 80% week on week but apparently that's not unusual for a game that sold so well initially

I thought that was brilliant, ballsy ballsy move but they pulled it off imo, so many mixed emotions.

gimli2112 wrote: »

I am overwhelmingly positive about the game, but I would actually agree with that one. I don't think I had a problem
    with the fight itself, but they made it unnecessarily fiddly. Any time I tried to sneak up on her she caught me.The last 2 times I got her it was cos the game spawned me in a good spot while she was rooting in her backpack. I must have died 5 times in that section and about 3 times at most in the entire rest of the game
    For sure. Either way, I've loved it. And its a shame people refuse to play this game. Its incredible.

I have no doubt whatsoever that people who refused to play this were either A) never going to play it anyway or B) played it anyway and just wanted to whine

I'd be willing to bet some decent money they have some very strong opinions about The Last Jedi as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I actually died more than I care to admit on normal.
    Once with the 2nd Ellie bloater fight as he ran into a not too cleverly placed mine. Once with the first Ellie bloater fight when a runner surprised me and the bloater grabbed me. I turned it off but actually I hadn't died as Joel saves you there.Several times (3-4) with the Abby hammer fight, I couldn't get the hang of it. Also 3-4 Abby deaths for carelessly falling to my death (some of these were intentional). Ratking (sigh) He's too fast, it's too dark, ohk madness. 5 times I reckon. I did start getting amused by the death animations. Maybe 3 times as Abby v Ellie. Once in the Abby fight when your stuck in the house with clickers and runners and Lev and the sister let you out. Now I think of it only one Ellie death and many many Abby deaths.

Poisoned by a scrambler as Ellie on the second run which really annoyed me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I am pretty late in the game now, so be warned reading this.
    Just fighting Ellie as Abby.
    I am enjoying it but I wish they took more risks with playing as Abby. She basically is like playing Joel in the first game right down to the same weapons. The fear of heights was cool but there wasn't enough new, I was hoping the dog would join Abby so you could order it around to flank enemies. Owen is incredibly unlikable, for a Naughty Dog game I swear as a character he barely has a redeemable quality and he isn't a villain. You go to the aquarium where he is hiding after getting someone killed, says he wants to flee on his pregnant girlfriend and everytime you go out he never joins you. In comparison Manny, Yara and Lev were decent characters, when Yara tells you about Lev I was like is this another thing that people are offended by.
    I felt they breezed past character deaths a bit too quick. I know you are often being chased but Abby doesn't really reflect on them after. I'm in the minority but I didn't care for the Rat King boss fight. Just a big bullet sponge and when everything is so dark it I accidentally ran into him a few times. I despise instant kill moments like that fight had. The stalker afterwards was annoying too as I was very low on ammunition, encountered a weird bug as when I went to shoot first the gun pushed upwards, don't know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,114 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The upgrade system makes me laugh a little. Excuse me while I upgrade my hearing...

giphy.gif

Just finished it..... Jesus, what an amazing ****ing game. I loved Ellie and
    Abby
    equally and the endgame was so great. The whole experience has blown me away. Need to digest it properly.

I still don't know why people were freaking out over the leaks/story.

Just finished it to. Really thought it was a fantastic experience. Love the last couple of scenes. Found certain parts of the game quite emotional and I never feel that way about videogames ever.

Got all the collectibles so just need to upgrade all weapons fully and get all character upgrades for my new game plus run and then the plat is mine. So glad I took my time first time round - the collectibles clean up didn't take long and only had to replay 1 or 2 long stretches. Would hate to have to get everything on new game plus

btw Anyone wanting to do the same make sure you make a manual save after completing the game and do not delete it. Every time you go into chapter select it erases any progress from that chapter onwards and the only way to bring it back is by loading the completed game save. So it you lose that manual save you won't have access to chapter select or new game plus.

I brought this up earlier; it's an issue with most linear games with big open areas. Although for the most part the game is quite good at subtly implying where the point of no return is.

How do you make the manual save? I have autosave and autosave backup 1. Do you mean from the save files in storage? Don't want to mess up progress as i have collectibles from every chapter to get.

• Advertisement

Just finished it. Holy ****. What a game. Loved it from start to finish. One or two minor issues but nothing worth writing home about. Unreal. Looking forward to having a second play through.
    Last fight scene with Abby was so brutal. I genuinely didn’t want to kill her at the end, I’m glad Ellie left her go.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Finished it for the second time last night. I like this game a lot.
    Ending:
    Seeing Lev and Abby on those pillars at the end was a real gut punch. Harrowing stuff. I'd love the next game to really focus on them. I want them to be ok!

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    Ending:
    Seeing Lev and Abby on those pillars at the end was a real gut punch. Harrowing stuff. I'd love the next game to really focus on them. I want them to be ok!

Ending chat
    Neil hinted that they made it to the Fireflies and the new menu screen is their boat on the Firefly island.

Agree, it was tough seeing Abby on the pillar. After the credits, first thing I did was buy models of Abby in Santa Barbara and also the pillars just to compare.

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    Ending:
    Yeah, that's the direction I'd like to see it take as well.

Yeah, that's the direction I'd like to see it take as well.

The internet crybabies would go mental, and it would be glorious
    Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Ending chat
    Neil hinted that they made it to the Fireflies and the new menu screen is their boat on the Firefly island.
    Have only seen the screen once but it looked like the exact place where the final fight took place to me, you can see the round building you were searching for as Ellie in the background.

IIRC when you beat the game you should have a 'complete' auto save. In a separate slot make a manual save version of that. (The game actually prompts you with this to warn what will happen but I can't remember how I got the prompt.) Don't overwrite or delete this manual save whatever you do. If it has been done successfully when you load the 'complete' manual save it should show
    the new title screen
    and chapter select in the story.

The way it works is you go into a chapter to get the collectibles you need. Once you've got the collectibles needed you quit to the main menu and load the complete manual save again which will have updated collectibles. Repeat as necessary.

Okay, so this is finicky. I had to reload the epilogue chapter, make a manual save and finish the game again. Then I was able to start new game + on a new save file as I have a ton of collectibles and upgrades to get. But now, I think I will just do chapter select for the collectibles needed and If I can finish upgrades along the way great but if not, then start new game +.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,279 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Okay, so this is finicky. I had to reload the epilogue chapter, make a manual save and finish the game again. Then I was able to start new game + on a new save file as I have a ton of collectibles and upgrades to get. But now, I think I will just do chapter select for the collectibles needed and If I can finish upgrades along the way great but if not, then start new game +.

I think for the platinum you have to do NG+ to a certain point anyway as there aren't enough parts/pills for all upgrades in one playthrough (replaying the chapter won't spawn any parts/pills you already collected).

Penn wrote: »
    I think for the platinum you have to do NG+ to a certain point anyway as there aren't enough parts/pills for all upgrades in one playthrough (replaying the chapter won't spawn any parts/pills you already collected).

Yupp, no easy way but at least it's easier than TLOU 1 :)

Advertisement