Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you make any assumptions based on the brand someone uses?

Options

Comments

I am afraid I do even though I know my assumptions are unfair. My guilty reading pleasure is the Daily Mail App for God sake and I have been known to watch an episode or twelve of RHOOC. Then there's my love of craft beers.

Anyways. My list:
    Michael Kors wearers. It's not an assumption as such that I make more of a "hmm how tasteless".
    This isn't really a brand but parents who give their babies those ready made dinners. It only takes a few minutes to cook and mash up some veg. Why would you give your child processed stuff?
    Men who wear grey tracksuit bottoms that have elasticated ankles. I immediately think they are a 'ne'er do well'.
    Anyone who has a designer logo covering most of their body. It looks tacky and ridiculous.

Most of the assumptions I make though aren't associated with particular brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

stoneill wrote: »
    Anyone that wear anything with the brand name emblazoned across it will always be sub-human.

To be brandless without exception tho is the same as wearing a brand tho...some brands of clothing partic designer clothing make their brandless designs even more expensive than their branded ones ...people will pay extra to get the same thing with without the logo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭quokula

Arghus wrote: »
    I hear conflicting things about this. One one hand people I know who work with anything at all involving graphic design or audio/visual shooting and editing seem to prefer Apple products.

But anyone I know who works with development or programming seems to hate Apple products.

So are Apple products "superior" - and, if so, why?

As a developer, Apple make it more difficult for you to do nasty things like spy on users and install all kinds of malware. This means you have to jump through several hoops that can make life awkward when you want to do genuine things like conduct user tests. Android is like the wild west where you can put out any old crap that messes up people's phones and it's all totally fine.

Which is why a 5 year old iPhone will still run like new (apart from battery degradation, though the EU got onto them about that so it may not be an issue with their new devices) while a typical 5 year old android device that hasn't been meticulously maintained by its owner is only fit for the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

stoneill wrote: »
    Anyone that wear anything with the brand name emblazoned across it will always be sub-human.

Yeah. Why would you want emblazoned when you can get your favorite brand name tattooed, or better yet, scarified.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Yeah. Why would you want emblazoned when you can get your favorite brand name tattooed, or better yet, scarified.
    What if they rebrand , change up their logo???:(

Maybe you could auction yourself off as a rarity in that case!

• Advertisement

Yes I do.

When i see a girl carrying a box of Durex I take here to be a slut.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,410 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

sweet_trip wrote: »
    Audi -Middle aged man with greying hair, massive ego, thinks theyre great drivers but are actually dire and drive dangerously because they think it makes them cool.

Apple - sheep. Doesn't know how restricted their devices are, and how much theyre being ripped off for subpar devices.

Not a brand but notice a lot of people are addicted to buying useless ****e from amazon they don't need. Addicted to consuming and buying worthless plastic junk while they spend all day just looking at the amazon app. Very sad.

Same people will also complain they can't afford xyz and are struggling financially.

Calling Apple users "sheep" is the most sheep like behaviour I have seen in the last few years.

sweet_trip wrote: »
    Oh yeah I forgot to mention. It's all about the look for apple users.
    Nevermind you're forced to use their ****e software and their compatibility with other computers is terrible, and their phones let you do nothing in terms of accessing their files easily without all the useless itunes and apple software they force you to install, and nevermind the fact their macbooks have such ****e hardware you'll end up paying an extra 1000 euro vs an actual useful computer.

It all boils down to look. I have an apple product therefore I look like I have money and in my eyes that makes me cool.

Brainwashed by marketing.

The anger that from non-Apple users over people that use Apple is baffling to me.

Also filled with errors, you don't need iTunes or any Apple software to use them.

I don't think anybody uses iPhones for the 'look'. Yes, when they first came out but nowadays they're so commonplace that nobody takes notice and the majority are in cases anyway.

Just let people buy and use any phone they want, it has no impact on your life whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Ush1 wrote: »
    Aldi sell most of the things you listed.

Think the German stores are more basic, they had to adapt for the Irish market.

Not a particular brand but I know a good few lads who would buy the cheapest sh1te and chuck it away after a few years because they can't be arsed looking after it and like to have something brand new in their hands. Drives me mad to see this carry on. The fella getting the cheap gutless daysul Golf on the Puckleberry-P and 'ah shur just trade it in 3 years time' would be one of them.

Also anyone who buys an Alexa or an OK Google is a sheep who doesn't mind being spied upon

I use Alexa, and I love it.

I can use voice to play any music I want. I can play any radio station I want.
    I have routines set up to control lights and switches.
    It's great for setting multiple timers when cooking.
    That's just a few uses.

So go away with that stupid sheep comment.

As for spying, you're right I don't care and also don't really believe it happens.
    Even so , my life is not that interesting and nor have I noticed targeted advertising based on conversations I've had.

Really, just put the tin foil hat away and let people enjoy their smart speakers.

What if they rebrand , change up their logo???:(

Maybe you could auction yourself off as a rarity in that case!

Yes, if you may have to wait it out sometime when brands fall out of favor.
    That's why it is better to stick with old favorites like "Mother" rather than Adidas in the universe of tattoos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,075 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Any time I see someone at the gym with Lynx Africa, I think to myself "now there's a guy with a bit of class".

Christian Lacroix, absolutely fabulous!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,830 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

murpho999 wrote: »
    Calling Apple users "sheep" is the most sheep like behaviour I have seen in the last few years.

The anger that from non-Apple users over people that use Apple is baffling to me.

Also filled with errors, you don't need iTunes or any Apple software to use them.

I don't think anybody uses iPhones for the 'look'. Yes, when they first came out but nowadays they're so commonplace that nobody takes notice and the majority are in cases anyway.

Just let people buy and use any phone they want, it has no impact on your life whatsoever.

I think people have no issues about people using Apple or whatever phone... they just get sick to their back teeth of the absolute nonsense and white noise some Apple geeks, sheeple, nerds, gimps go on with when you just casually mention how much you are enjoying your new S10... “ohhh but the iPhone has xxx, ohh but you can’t do xxx with the Samsung, ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Steve Jobsssss shît, tissue please”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I don't use ketchup myself but if I see somebody uses Chef ketchup or a non Hellmans mayonnaise in their kitchen I assume they are broke and I exit before they can ask me for a loan.

Apple users I assume are not technically astute.

Red bull and monster energy drinkers cheat on their partners

Fulfill protein bar I assume you will lose your money in a pyramid scheme or timeshare scam in your early 40s

Not really a brand but Shirts with a different colour collar and cuff I assume are a-holes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

I get some laugh outta the defenders of apple and how they band together to protect poor apple :D

Honestly if you can't see apple is overpriced nonsense and flash, then there's nothing that can be done ! No one minds if it's personal preference fair enough but don't cod yourself thinking you couldn't get other brands that out perform there products for a fraction of the price.. especially when talking about PC's !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Yes I do.

Strong neckbeard vibes off this post.

Strumms wrote: »
    I think people have no issues about people using Apple or whatever phone... they just get sick to their back teeth of the absolute nonsense and white noise some Apple geeks, sheeple, nerds, gimps go on with when you just casually mention how much you are enjoying your new S10... “ohhh but the iPhone has xxx, ohh but you can’t do xxx with the Samsung, ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Steve Jobsssss shît, tissue please”

Funny how you say that but you don't think Samsung users go on and on about their phones.

Also the idea that Samsung and Google are benevolent companies who are only interested in your benefit and not interested in profit at all.

It's almost cult like.

Cupatae wrote: »
    I get some laugh outta the defenders of apple and how they band together to protect poor apple :D

Honestly if you can't see apple is overpriced nonsense and flash, then there's nothing that can be done ! No one minds if it's personal preference fair enough but don't cod yourself thinking you couldn't get other brands that out perform there products for a fraction of the price.. especially when talking about PC's !

Well I'm not talking about their PCs as I've never had one as they're beyond my budget.

Also I wasn't defending Apple in anyway.
    I called out false statements about iTunes being required.

No doubt Apple is not cheap but neither are Samsung or Google for their flagships.

But if you look at the standard iPhone 11 or the SE you get a lot of phone for the money but you'll ignore that of course.

Anyhow the cheap phones that outperform them for a fraction of the price are found not to be so good in actual testing.

I don't use ketchup myself but if I see somebody uses Chef ketchup or a non Hellmans mayonnaise in their kitchen I assume they are broke and I exit before they can ask me for a loan.

Apple users I assume are not technically astute.

Red bull and monster energy drinkers cheat on their partners

Fulfill protein bar I assume you will lose your money in a pyramid scheme or timeshare scam in your early 40s

Not really a brand but Shirts with a different colour collar and cuff I assume are a-holes

Mmm,I use Chef as I simply prefer the taste over Heinz, and it's an Irish product.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

As for buying clothes etc if you're an attractive looking Man or Woman have a great figure and look after yourself you could wear anything that fit's and still look better than any gannets or jocks on a Saturday night.

I know some men and women who could pull up in a Toyota starlet beside an Audi or BMW and walk up a street and they stand out better than Mr and Mrs Termsnconditions...

Feck it some guy's can look as well in a pair of braces Polo t-shirt, fitted jeans and Doc martens and a shaved head or a nice suit or middle class Jock uniform.

Unfortunately some Plebs spend their life away to emulate something they'll never be..

I've loads of shirt's from my Jock phase and they're coming back again into fashion or are being sought after on websites where people like retro style shirt's and jeans.

Any guys interested in Gloria Vanderbilt jeans PM me ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

A lot of people going off on apple here as useless. I've had my mac since 2017 and it is just as good as the day I got it. I have a friend who got a mac in 2009 and only switched last year. I know computer scientists, designers, architects, engineers use them. And all of them swear by Apple Mac as being reliable, stable and capable of handling heavy projects no problem.

I went through 2 laptops in 5 years. And they were crippled by slowness, overheating, hardware/software compatibility issues. You can all wail and cry about Apple and how pricey their products are but you do pay for what you get in as so far as laptops.

"You can get better for the money you pay" I'm sure you can, but I can justify spending over €1,000 on a piece of technology that will still be going strong half a decade later.

The Iphones are a different story. How people are buying a new phone on the basis of one small change every year is just pathetic. That's where the brand/status thing comes into play. If you are getting into debt over a phone and have a payment plan to pay it off over a year or two you need to have a look at yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,395 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Why do all these threads end up as Apple -vs - Android?

How can anyone argue passionately about a phone/tablet/laptop/pc?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,830 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Funny how you say that but you don't think Samsung users go on and on about their phones.

Also the idea that Samsung and Google are benevolent companies who are only interested in your benefit and not interested in profit at all.

It's almost cult like.

I’m a Samsung user, well my phone is Samsung but I don’t go on about my phone. Apart from contributing to this discussion there is nowhere else I can be found partaking in dialogue re: android devices... for example...I’ve never contributed to or posted in the Consumer Electronics / Android devices forum.

I don’t think Samsung and google are not interested in profit. That would be a foolish assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Why do all these threads end up as Apple -vs - Android?

How can anyone argue passionately about a phone/tablet/laptop/pc?

Wow.

What an Android user thing to say. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yes I do.

Do you see this as a positive or a negative thing?
    Why?
    What do you think when you see a man with a box of Durex?
    Why?
    Also, what is a slut, in your opinion?

Yes I do.

Are other brands ok?

Asking for a friend.

Do you see this as a positive or a negative thing?
    Why?
    What do you think when you see a man with a box of Durex?
    Why?
    Also, what is a slut, in your opinion?

Any woman or man or other walking hand in hand with a man holding a box of Durex in the other hand. Note, I didn't say in the other's hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

We went to a 5 star all inclusive in the Canaries before. Nice resort, not that cheap for us. It was obviously on sale on the UK travel site as it was chock full with skangers, every single one wearing Moschino stuff out in the disco every night. Belts, t-shirts, kids matching, horrific stuff. I didn't know much about the brand before I went there but now it has an unpleasant association with drunken rowdies in my mind.

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Any woman or man or other walking hand in hand with a man holding a box of Durex in the other hand. Note, I didn't say in the other's hand.

What?

• Advertisement

Well I'm not talking about their PCs as I've never had one as they're beyond my budget.

Also I wasn't defending Apple in anyway.
    I called out false statements about iTunes being required.

No doubt Apple is not cheap but neither are Samsung or Google for their flagships.

But if you look at the standard iPhone 11 or the SE you get a lot of phone for the money but you'll ignore that of course.

Anyhow the cheap phones that outperform them for a fraction of the price are found not to be so good in actual testing.

I phones are more expensive than other products with the same spec and abilities. They are also more restricted.

That's just reality. Yes Google and Samsung are pricey at the high level but compare the price and the spec, you get more bang for buck with them

I will say that the new iPhone 11 has a fantastic cpu by all accounts.

Advertisement