Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion in Ireland: 2 years on

Options
  • 30-06-2020 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Now that we've all had time to collect our thoughts, I was hoping to gather some opinions on what people in this country think of the longterm effects Health (Regulation of Termination of Pregnancy) Act 2018 have been. With the benefit of hindsight, is there anybody who would have changed their vote?

For full disclosure, I voted No in the referendum, which was apparently a pretty odd point of view for 21 year old Trinity student, who was otherwise not particularly right-wing. I would not change it.

But the argument from the Yes side (made by most lobby groups) that I found most convincing is that legalising abortion would not change the raw number of abortions but only the locations. This has turned out to be completely untrue.

The number of abortions was 6,666 last year (2019). In 2017 (which was quite a high year) there were 3,061 abortions linked to Ireland in the UK. It seems to me (but maybe not you) the public have been misled. Would this have changed your vote?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Would this have changed your vote?

In my case, no it wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

No, I would have still voted to repeal. Absolutely, 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 32,246 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Voted yes and would still 100 percent vote yes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

Voted to repeal and would do so again without hesitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Why would it?

I voted yes so women had access to abortion, they do so where’s the issue??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,616 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Voted to repeal and would do so again, it's a womans body and as a man my only role is to facilitate whatever choice a woman wants to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Hey look, a Trinity student...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

The sky hasn't fallen in yet, has it.

It just means slightly less trauma for many girls, women & families quietly in the background. Let them have that small peace, don't be re-hashing the same old ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

The number of abortions was 6,666 last year (2019). In 2017 (which was quite a high year) there were 3,061 abortions linked to Ireland in the UK. It seems to me (but maybe not you) the public have been mislead. Would this have changed your vote?

I would guess that not every Irish woman getting abortions in the UK would have divulged all of their information. Therefore, the numbers in 2017 are probably under represented.

If you really want an abortion something like a short and inexpensive trip to the UK wouldn't put you off the idea. It's something you would think long and hard about too; the fact that proximal distance is shorter in 2019 than in 2017 wouldn't sway your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 downinbigsmoke

Sorry, I only mentioned that because it's Ireland's most liberal university.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,690 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Serious posts only please.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The number of abortions was 6,666 last year (2019). In 2017 (which was quite a high year) there were 3,061 abortions linked to Ireland in the UK. It seems to me (but maybe not you) the public have been mislead. Would this have changed your vote?
    Where did that 3,061 come from though?

My understanding is that previous to 2019, this data was collected from UK statistics based on the home address of women who had obtained abortions there.

Which means that realistically 3,061 is a minimum figure. How many women didn't give an Irish home address? How many gave a local address so as to remain anonymous? How many went to other places in Europe - EU citizens would probably go to their home country to get an abortion rather than go to England.

It doesn't seem to me that the Irish public have been misled. Far from it - that 3,061 is an honest figure - "These are the women that we know about, who are going to the UK". Where they could have done all sorts of extrapolations and manipulations, they didn't.

It now seems likely that the numbers we had underestimated the number of abortions by more than 50%.

Would I change my vote? Nope. Absolutely not. This even solidifies further for me that it was the right thing to do.

The number of 6,666 last year is statistic zero. It is the first time we have an actual, traceable number for the number of Irish residents getting abortions.

If it shoots up next year, you might have a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd still vote no, I thought it would lead to wholesale abortion and I wasn't happy that potential fathers have no rights. Those figures pretty much reinforce my reasons for voting no.
    No issue if it's for medical reasons but that's not what the vote was on.
    I'd like to see the data behind the figures to see who's having them, if it's girls who don't have the means or feel they don't have support it's a travesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,616 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'd still vote no, I thought it would lead to wholesale abortion and I wasn't happy that potential fathers have no rights. Those figures pretty much reinforce my reasons for voting no.
    No issue if it's for medical reasons but that's not what the vote was on.
    I'd like to see the data behind the figures to see who's having them, if it's girls who don't have the means or feel they don't have support it's a travesty.
    The vote was on removing the constitutional ban and allowing the government to govern as they see fit.

Potential fathers is an emotive issue but if you look at it logically, you cannot control the woman's body. If she doesnt want it and you do, what do you propose to do, enforce her to carry to term?

Also, frankly, it's none of anyone's business why they are having terminations. The people voted, the law was introduced, no reason is needed up to 12 weeks. To be honest, I'd be in favor of a 24 week timeframe like the UK. Or, no timeframe at all. If a woman wants an abortion, she should have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

Now that we've all had time to collect our thoughts, I was hoping to gather some opinions on what people in this country think of the longterm effects Health (Regulation of Termination of Pregnancy) Act 2018 have been. With the benefit of hindsight, is there anybody who would have changed their vote?

For full disclosure, I voted No in the referendum, which was apparently a pretty odd point of view for 21 year old Trinity student, who was otherwise not particularly right-wing. I would not change it.

But the argument from the Yes side (made by most lobby groups) that I found most convincing is that legalising abortion would not change the raw number of abortions but only the locations. This has turned out to be completely untrue.

People accessing abortions in UK often put down UK addresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Your post is a bit ingenious.
    There were a lot of people who gave birth where the foetus was not viable. They did not go to England to have an abortion for a number of reasons.
    That option is now available to them.

Have you figures for that? Absolute figures is not the right way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

We don't know what the number was in the past. Not all women would give their correct address. Some women from Ireland go to countries other than the UK such a sc the Netherlands.

Would I change my vote. Not a chance. I voted yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭crossman47

I voted yes, partly at least because of the case doctors made that it created difficulties for them. Now that I see over 6,000 abortions, I would have to consider changing my vote. That number is horrific when only a small number were on genuine medical grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

seamus wrote: »
    Which means that realistically 3,061 is a minimum figure. How many women didn't give an Irish home address? How many gave a local address so as to remain anonymous? How many went to other places in Europe - EU citizens would probably go to their home country to get an abortion rather than go to England.

I wonder if we should add to that list of questions "How many women performed some DIY or equivalent, or self medicated it away, on Irish soil and were therefore not included in any statistic either who are now able to access a legitimate option".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Voted yes, would do so again.

Women were also going to Amsterdam and other locations for abortions, or unsafely ordering abortion pills online.

There’s no reason to believe the actual numbers of abortions has dramatically increased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

If those numbers are to reduce we need decent sex education and easy access to affordable contraception which I believe we were told would happen but seems to have been placed on the long finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

As a father of two young kids both under the age of 3, I would absolutely still vote yes tomorrow.

On a separate note, the religious crackpots are going to go nuts over that specific 6666 number.

eviltwin wrote: »
    If those numbers are to reduce we need decent sex education and easy access to affordable contraception which I believe we were told would happen but seems to have been placed on the long finger.

Any truly anti-abortion activist would be very much in favour of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

It was a no from me and remains so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭FionnK86

I would vote to repeal, as I did 2 years ago. Like above posters, I'm a man & have no right to say what a woman can do with their body just as much as when the missus tells me to stop drinking guiness because of the farts and the beer belly, I can tell her to mind her own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭quokula

I wasn't living in Ireland at the time, I think I would have voted yes but I was on the fence and I certainly would have put more research and thought into it if I was at home and did have a vote. I don't see it as a straightforward black and white issue. Fundamentally we're saying that there is some specific day, and before that day a developing human has no rights, and after that day they do. Whether that is at 12 weeks, 24 weeks or at birth, it is a pretty significant decision. Which is why I would have educated myself more if I was going to vote.

One thing I did notice amongst friends (who were pretty much 100% yes) is that pretty much every article and argument shared prior to the referendum was about women with serious medical conditions being denied life saving healthcare because of the baby (which I don't see how anyone could possibly argue against), then the day after the referendum that seemed to go out the window in favour of state-funded on demand abortion for anyone in any circumstances (which is of course more controversial)

It seemed a little disingenuous looking on from a distance. I'm not sure I even know what the state of the actual law is now as it hasn't personally effected me or anyone I know of - which is the reason I'd most likely lean towards yes as it is perhaps not my place to dictate.

As a father of two young kids both under the age of 3, I vote absolutely still vote yes tomorrow.

On a separate note, the religious crackpots are going to go nuts over that specific 6666 number.

It is a weird number though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,690 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Trolling posts and responses deleted. A user has been banned. Please bear the charter in mind when posting.

Thanks.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

quokula wrote: »
    I wasn't living in Ireland at the time, I think I would have voted yes but I was on the fence and I certainly would have put more research and thought into it if I was at home and did have a vote. I don't see it as a straightforward black and white issue. Fundamentally we're saying that there is some specific day, and before that day a developing human has no rights, and after that day they do. Whether that is at 12 weeks, 24 weeks or at birth, it is a pretty significant decision. Which is why I would have educated myself more if I was going to vote.

One thing I did notice amongst friends (who were pretty much 100% yes) is that pretty much every article and argument shared prior to the referendum was about women with serious medical conditions being denied life saving healthcare because of the baby (which I don't see how anyone could possibly argue against), then the day after the referendum that seemed to go out the window in favour of state-funded on demand abortion for anyone in any circumstances (which is of course more controversial)

It seemed a little disingenuous looking on from a distance. I'm not sure I even know what the state of the actual law is now as it hasn't personally effected me or anyone I know of - which is the reason I'd most likely lean towards yes as it is perhaps not my place to dictate.

I agree with you. There was way too much focus on the difficult cases when in reality most women don't have those reasons. It was a bit dishonest

• Advertisement

quokula wrote: »

You obviously weren’t paying close attention. The government made it very clear well in advance that they were going to legislate for abortion on request up to 12 weeks.

Advertisement