Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Western IQ's plummeting - Why?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Because now we make our problems someone else's or get a machine to do the solving for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

How do we know what average IQs were in victorian times?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Eugenics ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

The reason is obviously whatever axes I have to grind with modern society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

splashuum wrote: »
    There's been many articles published recently suggesting that IQ's in the west are dropping at an alarming rate. According to a study published by the University of Amsterdam, westerners have lost 14 IQ points on average since the Victorian
    age.

NBC highlighted some of the potential reasons as mentioned below:

"it was suggested that average intelligence is being pulled down because lower-IQ families are having more children. Alternatively, widening immigration might be bringing less-intelligent newcomers to societies"

Previous research has also found that women of higher intelligence are having fewer children, meaning women of lower intelligence are driving population growth.

How can we counter the "Dumbening" :D ?

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/iq-rates-are-dropping-many-developed-countries-doesn-t-bode-ncna1008576

https://www.dailysabah.com/science/2018/06/14/dramatic-drop-in-peoples-iq-levels-since-1975-study-reveals

Weird that you chose to quote that paragraph on immigration but not this one which immediately follows it:

“However, a 2018 study of Norway has punctured these theories by showing that IQs are dropping not just across societies but within families. In other words, the issue is not that educated Norwegians are increasingly outnumbered by lower-IQ immigrants or the children of less-educated citizens. Even children born to high-IQ parents are slipping down the IQ ladder.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Not much need for any data here to backup your statement, Trump & Boris Johnson are elected to run 2 of the most powerful nations in the world.

I’ll say it again, take the “Do Not Drink” warning off the bottles of bleach, IQ will then rise once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The immigrants are simultaneously stupid and stealing all the jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

kowloon wrote: »
    Not mine obviously, but maybe yours.

I jest!

begbysback wrote: »
    Not much need for any data here to backup your statement, Trump & Boris Johnson are elected to run 2 of the most powerful nations in the world.

I’ll say it again, take the “Do Not Drink” warning off the bottles of bleach, IQ will then rise once again.

There's probably truth in what you say, society has baby proofed itself against morons where as years ago morons killed themselves off doing stupid stuff

• Advertisement

While getting free houses and welfare, quite an achievement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

They both steal everyone's jobs and don't work and claim the dole. It's Current Affairs Schrodinger's cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Yep, its Quantum Immigrantobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

KiKi III wrote: »
    Even children born to high-IQ parents are slipping down the IQ ladder.”

I blame social media!
    I used to be genius level, now after years on forums and social media an orangutang could score higher IQ points than me and probably have better posts.

There's probably truth in what you say, society has baby proofed itself against morons where as years ago morons killed themselves off doing stupid stuff

And ask yourself, who breeds more, the dumb or the intelligent?

We’re fcuked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

I would think it's pretty simple: the high IQ are overworked and overtaxed, meaning that they are no longer having as many children. Provision of welfare in Western countries means that this is no longer an issue for lower IQ people.
    A generalisation of course, but I believe it goes a long way towards explaining it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This thread is evidentof riding iqs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Yup diversity quotas and tax advantages press native small business owners into the ground where they are already over taxed.

This thread is evidentof riding iqs

Recording this before it’s edited

All work and no playboy.

No energy left for fun.

• Advertisement

Yup diversity quotas and tax advantages press native small business owners into the ground where they are already over taxed.

Do please give us a few examples of "diversity quotas" and "tax advantages", if you would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

All the clever people realise that the world is messed up, everything is absolutely pointless and that there's no point continuing on in this charade we call life so they end it. Nothing we do matters and they just enter eternal bliss...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

That's very interesting. I could only guess the reasons in children, are they reading less that would effect performance in IQ tests.

Easy enough... social media and the convenience of the Internet.

Few people bother to work out problems themselves anymore. Instead, they jump on to google or ask a friend online.

Lazy brains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Odhinn wrote: »
    Do please give us a few examples of "diversity quotas" and "tax advantages", if you would.

https://www.ihrec.ie/download/pdf/achieving_equality_in_intercultural_workplaces.pdf

Myself and Mrs Skooter are heading out. get back to it later

https://www.ihrec.ie/download/pdf/achieving_equality_in_intercultural_workplaces.pdf

No other boardsies need risk asking for an update from ye so

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Laziness and having someone else to solve problems for you. The quality of young people entering the workforce is shockingly low. Degrees coming out their eyeballs but couldn't figure their way out of a wet paper bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Were there IQ tests in victorian times ?

It would be remiss no to mention that for most of history lads were just rounded up off the street to conscription , prisoners were conscripted etc. so some enforced natural selection was taking place . Which the richer more highly educated people were at no risk, they would be officers etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

The evidence in the link, and other links I have looked at, is that it is in fact a reduction in educational standards. And probably a reduction in reading.

• Advertisement

Theres no "quotas" set in that, though it does refer to discrimination with Women, Travellers and the rest.

Advertisement