Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct Provision to be Abolished

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Minister for Children, Disability, Equality and Integration Roderic O’Gorman of the Green Party will now take responsibility for the system.
    That's it, we're screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

The change will be made over the lifetime of the next Government and a white paper on the way forward for the international protection process will be drawn up by the end of the year.

Anyone else think it's ironic they have to draw up a "white paper" ?

Anyways, I don't understand how non-EU citizens get permanent status.
    It should be conditional on a periodic review, eg. every 5 years.
    If they commit crimes or fail to get a job, then they should be deported.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

I've googled the sh*t out of "International Protection accommodation policy" and can find absolutely nothing on it. Have they actually given a name to a plan that hasn't been formed or defined yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭Varik

biko wrote: »

Who knows, could back fire.

No more being able to buy up space in some rural hotel and trying to sneak in when no ones looking.

They're going to have a long drawn out process to house them themselves if in dedicated developments, and loads of criticism for housing for X when you're not for Y.

Maybe the social housing in that former RTE donnybrook development will go to them, then RTE will have another source of interviewees other than the canteen nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

I've googled the sh*t out of "International Protection accommodation policy" and can find absolutely nothing on it. Have they actually given a name to a plan that hasn't been formed or defined yet?

The main issue is that right now the centres are run for profit by private companies and now they won’t be. There’s something like €260 put aside for every asylum seeker every week right now, of which €220 goes to the private company and the person gets €39 to live off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,282 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/new-department-of-children-to-be-responsible-for-direct-provision-1.4290769

The article is quite vague. It gives some suggestions at the end of what will be done to improve conditions at present but it is being replaced with “ending the Direct Provision system and will replace it with a new International Protection accommodation policy, centred on a not for profit approach"

What is International Protection accommodation policy?

Something that will benefit buy to let landlords, the class type who are setting Green policy.

biko wrote: »

It's like putting Thatcher in the Dept of Social Welfare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Once refugees enter Ireland they should be given priority listing for housing and proper assistance in getting them up to speed in employment, language and finance. Its disgraceful the farce of DP was let carry on for as long as it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Once refugees enter Ireland they should be given priority listing for housing and proper assistance in getting them up to speed in employment, language and finance. Its disgraceful the farce of DP was let carry on for as long as it did.

I thought you were nuts previously, now I'm hoping that you're a troll.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

KiKi III wrote: »
    The main issue is that right now the centres are run for profit by private companies and now they won’t be. There’s something like €260 put aside for every asylum seeker every week right now, of which €220 goes to the private company and the person gets €39 to live off.

that's irrelevant to what I am asking, they have announced DP is being abolished and replaced with this new policy which they have named "International Protection accommodation policy" which will not be for profit...so what is it? If a new 'policy' is announced surely to god they have a very clear definition of what kind of system will be in place within the policy.

• Advertisement

:D

Over egging the pudding.

You'll be rumbled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

if you land here and say the word asylum they should offer them 10 grand in cash and a flight to any country of their choosing. It would be incredible value for money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

that's irrelevant to what I am asking, they have announced DP is being abolished and replaced with this new policy which they have named "International Protection accommodation policy" which will not be for profit...so what is it? If a new 'policy' is announced surely to god they have a very clear definition of what kind of system will be in place within the policy.

The new government hasn’t even met yet.

There’s probably lots of stuff in the PfG that they’ve agreed on but haven’t worked out the details of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭Damien360

there would be a great deal of sense in that statement if we actually dealt with refugees and not just economic migrants with zero qualifications or use to our economy. Refugees are few and far between.

If you have a skill the country requires, no problem, come in and integrate. If you are a genuine refugee, then we should welcome you and you integrate. Become more Irish than the Irish themselves or f**k off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Damien360 wrote: »
    there would be a great deal of sense in that statement if we actually dealt with refugees and not just economic migrants with zero qualifications or use to our economy. Refugees are few and far between.

If you have a skill the country requires, no problem, come in and integrate. If you are a genuine refugee, then we should welcome you and you integrate. Become more Irish than the Irish themselves or f**k off.

I know it's poe's law that he could be real, but he's obviously taking that stance in bad faith. Let someone else who really believes free houses for economic migrants be the one you waste your time replying to. He already knows it's mental

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

TomTomTim wrote: »

Almost certainly is, theres no way somebody could be that against their own people to even give priority to immigrants

Yes, and as part of this new policy I would like to suggest a clause be added if no housing is available, you find the first person who currently resides in a house and is the same age and has the same initials as the refugee and you kick them out and the refugee gets their house. This will prevent any type of ghetto areas forming in the suburbs, it will be total pot luck, Ahmed Mamoud 53 years old could end up living on Shrewsbury Road for instance.

if you land here and say the word asylum they should offer them 10 grand in cash and a flight to any country of their choosing. It would be incredible value for money

Its awful that that is the reality, we should pull out of offering asylum altogether, almost all of the claims that arrive here are fake and we’re not the first safe country anyone lands in.

And what happens to those who fail or drop out of educational programs? Or fail to learn enough English to hold a conversation at an adequate level for professional employment? Or don't/can't get work?

After all, I assume (perhaps wrongly) that you want these migrants to gain good jobs in the country rather than minimum wage or end up on welfare....

Is there a time-limit for your generosity, and what happens with those who fail to meet standards?

I know it's poe's law that he could be real, but he's obviously taking that stance in bad faith. Let someone else who really believes free houses for economic migrants be the one you waste your time replying to. He already knows it's mental

You have to presume he is not real but there are so many like him now on the modern left that are like that but more vicious and snobby in approach.

God I miss the left when it was somewhat aligned to the average person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Its awful that that is the reality, we should pull out of offering asylum altogether, almost all of the claims that arrive here are fake and we’re not the first safe country anyone lands in.

the truly destitute could never hope to make it to ireland

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    the truly destitute could never hope to make it to ireland

We dont even have the workflow and facilities in place to get our own poor educated and keep them away from crime, what hope do we have for anyone who doesnt even have a vauge grasp of the language. By the sheer corelation between poverty and crime, any asylum program is going to result in importing criminals so its not fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The Greens will be even more hated when this comes to pass, it will make this country even more attractive for illegals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

dont see the harm in speeding up the processes as long as those refused are deported but i doubt that will happen.

TomTomTim wrote: »

What makes me a troll? That I disagree with you?

Damien360 wrote: »

That's not helping people though. All you're doing is basically pointing a gun at them and forcing them to give up their ethnic or religious identity. It's insanity.

And what happens to those who fail or drop out of educational programs? Or fail to learn enough English to hold a conversation at an adequate level for professional employment? Or don't/can't get work?

After all, I assume (perhaps wrongly) that you want these migrants to gain good jobs in the country rather than minimum wage or end up on welfare....

Is there a time-limit for your generosity, and what happens with those who fail to meet standards?

Then we offer them alternative assistance or programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Probably the fact that you think non citizens get first choice on housing when it becomes available.

If thats your opinion its a strange one indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I'd like to think that only a troll could believe in such a discriminatory practice of putting refugees ahead of natives who are already on the housing list. Maybe I'm being naive, but it seems insane even for a modern day progressive.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Once refugees enter Ireland they should be given priority listing for housing

And within a few years you'll be on here wringing the hands when a hard core anti immigration party will finally take a foothold in Ireland. May as well go all out and over turn the anchor baby referendum, really make a job of it and give them a majority government

Advertisement