Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Someone is after coming out to check the boundary and not a word now in over a week. Is this normal? The whole thing has been excruciatingly slow. My offer was accepted in February and it has just been delay after delay. Problem is there is someone living in the house (not the owner) and they have nowhere really to go as such if the place is sold and the the seller and the estate agent and their solicitor seem to be stretching the absolute fook out of the transaction

Boundaries are checked as part of the original survey. What does it say in the report about it? If the visit was separate to the survey I'd be wary of that. Boundaries are brutally slow, it takes the land registry weeks and weeks just to produce the original maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Someone is after coming out to check the boundary and not a word now in over a week. Is this normal? The whole thing has been excruciatingly slow. My offer was accepted in February and it has just been delay after delay. Problem is there is someone living in the house (not the owner) and they have nowhere really to go as such if the place is sold and the the seller and the estate agent and their solicitor seem to be stretching the absolute fook out of the transaction
    Maybe that is not by accident
    A good conveyancing solicitor can speed up or slow down a transaction to whatever timeframe you give them
    Often the solicitor on the other side will know what is happening and there is nothing they can do about it as they have probably done the exact same thing for previous clients

Glory83 wrote: »
    Try to get an inexpensive small flat or house and then save up more and later on search for a larger one. Maybe at that time, you will have a partner then to do a joint mortgage :)

I don't think this is as helpful it was intended it to be. I don't think anyone should put off their life plans because they're single - nothing wrong with staying that way either.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭lir6777

I don't think this is as helpful it was intended it to be. I don't think anyone should put off their life plans because they're single - nothing wrong with staying that way either.

I get where you're coming from true-or-false. I'm a single buyer too and even though I'm on a decent enough salary, I'm very limited in my options on 3.5 times that. Given that I'm mid-30s I don't want to buy something tiny or rundown just to buy something, I want somewhere where I'll want to stay for a good few years, and I have as much right to that on my own as people do in couples. Buying alone is particularly difficult and it shouldn't be such a huge discrepancy. I agree there was no harm meant in that message but it had jarred with me a little too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

lir6777 wrote: »
    I get where you're coming from true-or-false. I'm a single buyer too and even though I'm on a decent enough salary, I'm very limited in my options on 3.5 times that. Given that I'm mid-30s I don't want to buy something tiny or rundown just to buy something, I want somewhere where I'll want to stay for a good few years, and I have as much right to that on my own as people do in couples. Buying alone is particularly difficult and it shouldn't be such a huge discrepancy. I agree there was no harm meant in that message but it had jarred with me a little too.

Second this, I'm in the exact same position myself. I have also had people telling me to just buy any old piece of crap like that's all a single person needs/is entitled to. It is really condescending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Get on tinder and stick in your bio that you're only interested in buying a house with someone, go halves on something nice

Genius

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Get on tinder and stick in your bio that you're only interested in buying a house with someone, go halves on something nice

Genius

This was literally my bio for the last 2 years I was on it :D. Actually works quite well:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Just got word through the grapevine that the house im bidding on has a tenant that is refusing to move out and has an ongoing case with the RTB and wishes to buy the house themselves but cannot afford to increase on the bid any more.

Firstly I'm not in a position to buy a house with a tenant that will not move and i do not wish to get involved in any legal proceedings etc and besides the bank will not approve the mortgage with these issues.

Question: Can a tenant get in trouble for contact a bidder directly? If I tell the auctioneer will that affect their case legally etc? over.

Leaving out a lot of details here so just wondering how careful I should be when wording the email to the auctioneer. I don't want to upset anybody.

I'm also concluding that the other investors i was bidding against were infact phantom bidders aka family of the tenant and also that i got a bit over my head in how much i was willing to pay for the house. So I'm not upset myself really and feel like actually, i just saved myself €20,000 because i got too invested in the bidding.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭guyfawkes5

Seems very, very messy and if you're just not that much into the house, it might be a blessing in disguise. You don't need any reason to pull out of the purchase before contracts, although you might have to live with losing some solicitor or surveyor fees depending on how far along you are with the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Buying alone essentially halves your buying power. In a market with limited availability and high demand, couples will almost always be able to outbid you.

It's a free market system; shouldn't and want don't come into it. Your options are essentially; wait and save a higher deposit, find some way to increase your income or change employers and move to where property prices are within your price range, buy further away and commute or buy something that is less than you want and teach yourself some skills and make it into what you want.

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    Buying alone essentially halves your buying power. In a market with limited availability and high demand, couples will almost always be able to outbid you.

It's a free market system; shouldn't and want don't come into it. Your options are essentially; wait and save a higher deposit, find some way to increase your income or change employers and move to where property prices are within your price range, buy further away and commute or buy something that is less than you want and teach yourself some skills and make it into what you want.

If my post made it seem that I didn't understand that more money=better then my mistake. My actual issue isn't with that must basic of economical facts however, it's with aspects of buying which make it difficult for a single person to buy DESPITE good earnings. For example, the HTB is a fantastic help as we all know saving a deposit is painfully slow with rents as they currently are, but it's specific to new builds, which are inevitably more expensive than their equivalent in secondhand. Even though I'm on a very good salary alone, 3.5 times that is not enough to buy a new build, which makes the HTB almost useless to me and I'd imagine many single FTBs. I can look for an exemption but many banks won't grant them to single people- I've even been told by one lender that were I part of a couple that was earning COMBINED what I currently earn alone, I would get an exemption no problem, but as I'm one person, no go. It is factors like these which I was referring to, although I know I didn't go into detail in my last post. I know that two people=less risk, even if they don't necessarily earn more money than me, but that's surely what mortgage protection is for. It is just hard to swallow that as a person who works hard for my money, I seem to be expected to accept less in return for it than I could if I was in a couple. I don't expect sympathy or even for people not in this position to understand, I was just telling the previous poster that I understood his/her frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

which makes the HTB almost useless to me.

I'm also looking at second hand homes as a first time buyer, not because of price but I want a big garden. The HTB grant increased the price of new builds and removed lots of the buyers from the second hand market. I think it did better for the second hand market then it did for new homes. Obv if you're struggling with a deposit that's different but it did a lot for the second hand market.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭guyfawkes5

If my post made it seem that I didn't understand that more money=better then my mistake. My actual issue isn't with that must basic of economical facts however, it's with aspects of buying which make it difficult for a single person to buy DESPITE good earnings. For example, the HTB is a fantastic help as we all know saving a deposit is painfully slow with rents as they currently are, but it's specific to new builds, which are inevitably more expensive than their equivalent in secondhand. Even though I'm on a very good salary alone, 3.5 times that is not enough to buy a new build, which makes the HTB almost useless to me and I'd imagine many single FTBs. I can look for an exemption but many banks won't grant them to single people- I've even been told by one lender that were I part of a couple that was earning COMBINED what I currently earn alone, I would get an exemption no problem, but as I'm one person, no go. It is factors like these which I was referring to, although I know I didn't go into detail in my last post. I know that two people=less risk, even if they don't necessarily earn more money than me, but that's surely what mortgage protection is for. It is just hard to swallow that as a person who works hard for my money, I seem to be expected to accept less in return for it than I could if I was in a couple. I don't expect sympathy or even for people not in this position to understand, I was just telling the previous poster that I understood his/her frustration.
    Very well said.

Also to the 'it's just the free market' point, there are lots of structural assumptions and rules baked into both government and banking processes that reward couples like tax credits for judging income. This isn't to say those things are wrong or should be stopped, and it's not the only assumption that's present (the HTB will tend to help rural and more well-off buyers disproportionately to their size of the market), but to pretend the current housing market system is just the absence of rules is plain wrong.

Zenify wrote: »
    I'm also looking at second hand homes as a first time buyer, not because of price but I want a big garden. The HTB grant increased the price of new builds and removed lots of the buyers from the second hand market. I think it did better for the second hand market then it did for new homes. Obv if you're struggling with a deposit that's different but it did a lot for the second hand market.

Yeah I'm sure on a wider and longer-term scale there have been many effects of the HTB, I was just referring to my own current attempts to buy and have a deposit together. I don't mean to diss it as a whole, it's a good effort in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I got all of that in your original post. I fully understand your position, and sorry if you think my reply was a bit harsh, but it's the way things are. I understand wanting a nice place that would suit you for years to come, but that's not what I bought first off. Having described it previously, I get the impression 95% of people on here wouldn't dream of buying such a kip, but I'm not as fussy and it got me on the ladder and now I don't live in a kip.

Have you been on an overseas holiday in the last 3 years?

cnocbui wrote: »
    I got all of that in your original post. I fully understand your position, and sorry if you think my reply was a bit harsh, but it's the way things are. I understand wanting a nice place that would suit you for years to come, but that's not what I bought first off. Having described it previously, I get the impression 95% of people on here wouldn't dream of buying such a kip, but I'm not as fussy and it got me on the ladder and now I don't live in a kip.

Have you been on an overseas holiday in the last 3 years?

I don't know where this is going so I'm going to politely exit any potential debate here😆 I respect your opinion and hear your points; sounds like you did what's right for you and that's all any of us want to do. All the best with it :)

Turns out the house I was looking at has a problem tenant that is refusing to move out and called me threatening all this that if i bought the house i'd have a problem on my hands, quite angry bordering abusive tbh.

Big story about how she can't afford to bid on the house herself and all of this stuff and now there's going to be a big case and according to the auctioneer it might take several months or even years to resolve and if i bougth the house there's no guarantee they'd vacate it or leave it in a decent condition.

Either way, she outbid me by a substation amount (€23,000 more than initial price) and according to her on the phone "I CANT AFFORD TO BID LIKE THIS!".

So now I backed out and she's left as the highest bidder for now so good luck.

I'm not buying somebody elses problem.

Worst part is shes a guard :rolleyes:

sweet_trip wrote: »
    Worst part is shes a guard :rolleyes:

Don't know why this is the worst part?
    Or even why it is relevant?

bubblypop wrote: »
    Don't know why this is the worst part?
    Or even why it is relevant?

Don't worry about it.

Don't worry about it.

I'm not.
    Don't know why you would

• Advertisement

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    Fk me thats unreal. When she takes off the badge shes one of the people she deals with.

Really?
    Explain?
    What relevance does her job have to do with it?

Really?
    Explain?

So you have absolutely no problem with a guard making angry and abusive calls to a person who is just bidding against them on a house?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ladystardust

Really?
    Explain?

Its relevant because garda follow (or should follow) a strict code of ethics both inside and outside of their work environment. It includes things like, act with integrity, respect peoples right to privacy, take responsibility when there is a conflict of ethical codes in their personal life that may have an effect on peoples views of garda on the whole.

So thats why the OP probably thought her horrible actions made it that much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭8-10

How would she have contact details, let alone know who another bidder is?

I would report the phone call and inform your solicitor. Just to have a record of everything if this drags on for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

Love this post! I also understand the basic concept of more money = better property :D I totally understand your frustration, and am in the same boat. I think it's crazy how much of our lives are spent thinking and planning and saving for a deposit these days, and I am one of the "lucky" ones who can live at home and has family help with the deposit. Living at home well into your 30s -> later having babies (if ever) -> much older generation of parents in a few years.

It is 10x harder if you're single, because your options are minuscule compared to couples. Sometimes you just want to let off some steam on here, not be told over and over again "well that's just how it is"- yeah I know. I'm not saying I want to be able to borrow 6x my salary to get a house. I just think the effect that the housing market is having on the mental health of so many people is corrosive, and it's a terrible thing.

You shouldn't have to spend 3-4 years of your life in your late 20s/early 30s living at home, saving every single spare penny towards a deposit. What are the solutions? Who knows.

Markitron wrote: »
    So you have absolutely no problem with a guard making angry and abusive calls to a person who is just bidding against them on a house?

I would have an issue with anyone making angry & abusive calls to anyone.
    Doesn't matter what their job is.

I would have an issue with anyone making angry & abusive calls to anyone.
    Doesn't matter what their job is.

So you see no potential difference between receiving angry abusive calls from a guard and receiving them from, say, a nurse or a bus driver?

8-10 wrote: »
    How would she have contact details, let alone know who another bidder is?

I would report the phone call and inform your solicitor. Just to have a record of everything if this drags on for a while

She got my number from local talk, friend's of friends of family etc. I don't live too far away from said house.

Anyway, I don't have a solicitor as I've yet to buy a house. I'll go get one when I go sale agreed somewhere. I don't think there's anything I could do in terms of reporting it.

Spoke to the auctioneer and he knows all now, as will the landlord, my family, friends and everyone else locally.

I pulled out of the sale as I was threatened. I cant afford to buy a house with a problematic tenant in place and get involved in an ensuing legal mess.

I could have doubled down but it's so not worth it. I dodged a bullet.

Also as much as a nutcase I think she is, I don't know her life circumstances. We're in the middle at a pandemic, and a housing crisis so who knows what's going on. It's hard enough for people to get housing in the country at the moment. She's entitled to her RTB case and all that.

The auctioneer us going to keep me informed of what the outcome is but in the meantime I need to just move on.

She got my number from local talk, friend's of friends of family etc. I don't live too far away from said house.

Anyway, I don't have a solicitor as I've yet to buy a house. I'll go get one when I go sale agreed somewhere. I don't think there's anything I could do in terms of reporting it.

Spoke to the auctioneer and he knows all now, as will the landlord, my family, friends and everyone else locally.

I pulled out of the sale as I was threatened. I cant afford to buy a house with a problematic tenant in place and get involved in an ensuing legal mess.

I could have doubled down but it's so not worth it. I dodged a bullet.

Also as much as a nutcase I think she is, I don't know her life circumstances. We're in the middle at a pandemic, and a housing crisis so who knows what's going on. It's hard enough for people to get housing in the country at the moment. She's entitled to her RTB case and all that.

The auctioneer us going to keep me informed of what the outcome is but in the meantime I need to just move on.

Sounds like the sensible thing to do

• Advertisement

Shelga wrote: »
    Love this post! I also understand the basic concept of more money = better property :D I totally understand your frustration, and am in the same boat. I think it's crazy how much of our lives are spent thinking and planning and saving for a deposit these days, and I am one of the "lucky" ones who can live at home and has family help with the deposit. Living at home well into your 30s -> later having babies (if ever) -> much older generation of parents in a few years.

It is 10x harder if you're single, because your options are minuscule compared to couples. Sometimes you just want to let off some steam on here, not be told over and over again "well that's just how it is"- yeah I know. I'm not saying I want to be able to borrow 6x my salary to get a house. I just think the effect that the housing market is having on the mental health of so many people is corrosive, and it's a terrible thing.

You shouldn't have to spend 3-4 years of your life in your late 20s/early 30s living at home, saving every single spare penny towards a deposit. What are the solutions? Who knows.

Thank you! :)

Advertisement