Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Perry Mason [HBO]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Back in 2013, NBC and Universal Television attempted to bring a Raymond Burr drama series into the 21st century... only for it to be cancelled after four episodes. :o

HBO and RDJ ought to do better here, though. They haven't *completely* re-imagined Mason, for starters - and they've kept the setting, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,794 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

First look of Matthew Rhys as Perry Mason.

perry-mason-matthew-rhys.jpg

Trailer and starts June 21st.

While the rest of the country struggles through the Great Depression, this city is booming! Oil! Olympic Games! Talking Pictures! Evangelical Fervor! And a child kidnapping gone very, very wrong. Based on characters created by author Erle Stanley Gardner, this drama series follows the origins of American fiction’s most legendary criminal defense lawyer, Perry Mason. When the case of the decade breaks down his door, Mason’s relentless pursuit of the truth reveals a fractured city and just maybe, a pathway to redemption for himself

• Advertisement

For Sky Atlantic and NOW TV it is on Monday June 22nd

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Strong trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,784 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Really looking forward to this, big fan of Matthew Rhys from the Americans & have seen some of the original black and white series and the 1980s TV movies on CBS Justice recently.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Starts next Sunday,
    The cast and creators of Perry Mason discuss how they took the legendary defense attorney character back to his gritty roots as a private investigator and recreated 1930s Los Angeles for a new kind of Perry Mason story.

Well it sure don't feel like Burr's Mason :p another True Detective installment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Can't say I watched the original and I've only seen the later tv movies. But gonna check this out.
    Will also try Equalizer but that's a different thread when the time comes.

A stunning looking episode not sure about the story yet however it was only the opening episode.

Wonder when we'll get a PI that's not a heavy drinker.
    Was a good show. Didn't realise it was going to be a season long story.
    A lot of recognisable faces in it.

Could do with a warning about the baby. I know of some who wold turn it off after seeing that early scene.

I really shouldn't have looked up why I recognised the mother. Couldn't see her as anyone but Sheila the She-Wolf when I found out.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Wonder when we'll get a PI that's not a heavy drinker.
    Was a good show. Didn't realise it was going to be a season long story.
    A lot of recognisable faces in it.

Could do with a warning about the baby. I know of some who wold turn it off after seeing that early scene.

I really shouldn't have looked up why I recognised the mother. Couldn't see her as anyone but Sheila the She-Wolf when I found out.

I did not expect either the male nudity and food sex scene

Gayle Rankin as the grieving mother Emily Dodson stood out in the top notch cast for me

• Registered Users Posts: 17,226 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Another remake using the name for nostalgia and totally changing the story

The first episode was plodding and all over the place.
    Like someone said above True Detective comes to mind
    At only 8 episodes I'll continue but unless there is development on the actual story I'll probably be out after the next episode

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I haven't seen any of the previous Perry Mason stuff and there has been a lot!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_Mason_(disambiguation)

Sounds like it'll be ok to get into though when it's described as:
    set before Mason's legal career

1: Strong opener. The show could go up or down depending on the story and direction. One thing stood out though was Matthew Rhys is putting a lot into it.
    That scene in the morgue when his face reacts to what he sees!

Not lost on me that Jefferson Mays (George Hodel in I Am the Night) is playing the guy working in the morgue!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Well that wasn't at all the sort of show I was expecting! Far more dark, gritty and brooding. Dunno why I was expecting a kind of fun courtroom detective type show :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Is it any good?

Missed the first episode.

Is it any good?

It's dark nothing like courtroom Burr's Mason, felt it more like another True Detective installment

Thought this was a really good episode as well. Seems pretty well paced. Over an hour long but didn't feel it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Is it any good?

Ditto. caught the second episode last night. Top notch production and witty dialogue. If you are squeamish beware of some visceral scenes including a shocking 'suicide'. Best HBO production since 'Boardwalk' ?

This even has a couple of Boardwalk Empire actors as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Nearly finished the first episode and like it. I don't know why it had to be linked to the Perry Mason name unless they plan on some serious character progression. It could have been called anything. As mentioned more like True Detective without the philosophy.

Love the 30's setting. Made me want to rewatch LA Confidential and re-read some James Elliot. Usual HBO sex, swearing, fantastic production values etc.

Will defo give ep.02 a watch. Lots calling it boring, plodding etc. I find it quite engaging. I've never seen the Americans or any film that Matthew Rhys has been in but I think he's pretty damn good here. And of course John Lithgow and T-1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

ep 2 what was in that persons mouth?

Watched some of it.. So he's gay and he smokes... Not reminiscent of The Burr Perry Mason :pac:

Not very gripping either

ep 2 what was in that persons mouth?

If you mean
    the guy who's face was half shot off from the shotgun, it looked like upper false teeth, or at least half of them. The reason it was significant was because the cop found the other half in the alley meaning it was the guy who fell from the roof and the dirty cop moved him to that house and staged the scene

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

2: Some damn gory scenes in this episode!

Well made again. I can guess the plot will be
    for Mason to eventually meet up with Officer Drake and they can piece together that yer man wasn't a suicide.

Thought the Church speech was done really well. The music in the background with the drums had me thinking about Terminator music.

The composer is Terence Blanchard and it looks like the soundtrack is being put up here:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBKadB95sF46Vk3HxiX1ohJ7sDkbFa0HL

Haven't gone through it yet though to see if the drums are in one of the songs.

I like to see Tatiana Maslany getting work since I thought she was brilliant in Orphan Black, though I need to go back and finish that at some point

Thought we would have to wait longer to see who was responsible for the murder of the kid, unless there is another twist in the story yet to come out.

• Advertisement

Watched some of it.. So he's gay and he smokes... Not reminiscent of The Burr Perry Mason :pac:

Not very gripping either

Didn't seem too gay when he was shunting the wan that wants to buy his farm :pac:

Advertisement