Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Perry Mason [HBO]

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,307 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Now I really don't like Alice's mother.

I'm sure there'll be more killing next week in an attempt to cover things up.
    Should be a good finale.

Noticed the editor of this week's episode must've been sleeping on the job. when Pete was going through that protest march, they reused shots. Like Pete ran into the same guy with the purple hat twice and the other guy passed the purple hat guy a couple times as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,677 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Between this and The Alienist the Alienist is winning hands down (very similar storylines)

I just cannot get in to Perry Mason at all (find myself bored watching it), just a bit all over the place for me with the story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,897 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The season has gotten better as it went on although it is missing something I just can't put my finger on.

I'd agree The Alienist is a show that deserves more attention Dakota Fanning is outstanding and for sure and I'd have it over Mason as well.

The season has gotten better as it went on although it is missing something I just can't put my finger on.

I'd agree The Alienist is a show that deserves more attention Dakota Fanning is outstanding and for sure and I'd have it over Mason as well.

Yup exactly - dunno if its expecting a reboot of the original or there is just something missing.
    Mason while being the shows titular character isn't really that much the focus of the show most of the time (and the reveal just felt kinda well we guessed that where's the surprise)

The Alienist is a much more engrossing show for me

I feel there's too much focus on the church and its activities. Like showing services and then the whole thing about the resurrection weren't all needed. I know the case is focused on the church but think they could've still could've done that without so much of it.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I feel there's too much focus on the church and its activities. Like showing services and then the whole thing about the resurrection weren't all needed. I know the case is focused on the church but think they could've still could've done that without so much of it.

Wouldn't surprise me if the script was peddled as a murder/mystery (nothing to do with Mason) and someone higher up said ohhh look lets make it about Perry Mason to get viewers (reboots being the "in" thing at the moment")

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,897 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

An ok season finale for me nothing more.

Compared to The Alienist’s season finale which was brilliant.

Mason will get the all plaudits because it’s a HBO show even if it is bang average story wise.

I liked it for what it was.
    The fact he didn't exactly win his first case was a good thing.
    Would like to know if there was a retrial.
    So your one is a hand model which is why she's wearing gloves all the time?
    I'm assuming the Chinese killing the detective was due to him killing one of their girls.
    Della not looking to cheat her way to being a lawyer like Perry.
    Thought Perry was going to offer Alice some kind of job at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 WhymeWhynot

what the deal with the lady thats always wearing gloves?

Hand model protecting her assets.

I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Really enjoyed this season. Nice pacing and character development to hopefully setup plenty more seasons. His aviator "girlfriend" is some woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,675 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Average enough ending for what was a good series I thought.

Anyones guess when we will see a second series with everything held up due to corona.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I finished it off there tonight. I thought it was just ok and found a lot of the characters quite unlikable/unsympathetic. A real hard-boiled kind of show. Though the immersion in the period was incredible, another fantastic production by HBO.

A few people mentioned the Alienist and how they preferred it. Are they talking about season 2? I watched season 1 on Netflix (I don't think season 2 has gone up there yet) and was bored off my face for most of it.

I finished it off there tonight. I thought it was just ok and found a lot of the characters quite unlikable/unsympathetic. A real hard-boiled kind of show. Though the immersion in the period was incredible, another fantastic production by HBO.

A few people mentioned the Alienist and how they preferred it. Are they talking about season 2? I watched season 1 on Netflix (I don't think season 2 has gone up there yet) and was bored off my face for most of it.

Yes season 2 - has a baby story as well in the same vein. I personally found the first season a little dragged at the start but picked up and season 2 found very enjoyable but then you know the characters

The finale of PM was very lackluster for me - as this was supposed to be a one off special I'm not sure how the story even made it out of the writers room. I'll give the second season a go with the first episode but I just find it kind of dragging to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I liked it , finale felt a little flat but I can live with it .
    I also like the alienist and enjoyed season 2 but don’t get the folks comparing it to PM , the shows are very very different especially in tone and other than both having a dead child the comparison is very tenuous .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

In Catchup.

7: Jeez that opening scene
    with Alice, the mother and yer man!
    :eek:
    Big story seems to be mostly revealed now.

Guessing the last episode is gonna be
    to get the mother out of jail.

• Advertisement

Finished! Overall, a really well made show. Kinda Boardwalk Empire styled Private Detective / Courtroom combo. Main director had worked on Boardwalk Empire so makes sense. Also just noticed at the end that husband and wife combo Robert Downey Jr. and Susan Downey were both producers.

8:
    A mistrial felt the proper way for this to go. I wasn't expecting Ennis to get done like that. Big moment in the episode for me was Perrys closing remarks. Real emotional moment.

I wouldn't mind watching a second season if it gets one.

Slydice wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind watching a second season if it gets one.

News Alert - it's been renewed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,568 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Tatiana Maslany not returning

Probably for the best. I'm sure she could've done both it and She-Hulk if schedules were right.
    But if she was in the next season it would seem a bit forced.
    Not a fan of series that keep characters around just because they were fan favourites or the actor is liked while bringing in new characters.
    That's how you end up with too many characters and trying to find stuff for everyone to do.

Of course if Tatiana can't do it, I'm sure she knows a few women who look exactly like her that can do it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Trailer for season 2 is up and of HBO's usual standard. Starts on March 6.

It has been a fair aul minute since I've seen Matthew Rhys on screen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,568 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ah.. ok. Haven't watched more than the first few minutes of season 2. Seemed grand but they released in the middle of busy season. Maybe the show is expensive otherwise they might just be going a bit hard on themselves.

Advertisement