Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Ireland lagging behind the world in cannabis legalisation / decriminalisation?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ladystardust

Partake in what exactly?

Oh for goodness sake what are we talking about? Cannabis. The pendants are out en force tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Read my post like a good kid.

I gave NL as one specific example. The US, Canada and Portugal and other jurisdictions also meet the description.

Thats not the whole world is it. Its fully legal in just a handful of countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_cannabis#/media/File:Map-of-world-cannabis-laws.svg

Also, while acknowledge that abuse of marijuana (particularly in a developing adolescent brain) can be damaging to individuals, AFAIK it is virtually impossible to overdose on it. There is some conjecture that in people with pre existing conditions, it may act as a trigger (for example cardiac problems) however there is no concrete proof of this that I am aware of. I have known a handful of people to abuse it, and it has indeed been detrimental to their lives, mainly socially and mentally. Although it is nothing close to the amount of people I have seen abusing alcohol which has ripped a hole right through my family and the family of many of my friends. If we take any of these arguments that claim how dangerous it is to heart, we also have to look at alcohol which is a big problem for lots of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Oh for goodness sake what are we talking about? Cannabis. The pendants are out en force tonight.

Just say it then, we're all grown adults here.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

Decriminalisation only
    Through the last few months of lock-down the emergency services have had a dramatic decline in alcohol related injuries and a lower than average case of assaults in regards to pubs being shut down. When the pubs open up across the country and especially night clubs, you will see a dramatic rise in alcohol related cases of injuries and assaults, this is a basic fact that alcohol is the most toxic substance of which causes misery for the many as a lot of folk just cant handle alcohol.

I do find the Irish government FF/FG especially to be a very backward collective when it comes to cannabis, these politicians sit in the dail bar drinking while at work thinking that alcohol is just a natural cure for all of lifes issues while denouncing a natural herb of this planet of which has numerous benefits to people if the herb is grown naturally in a professional way, non contaminated.

Look now behind the scenes. At this stage right now the government basically legalised heroin for personal use. If a heroin addict is stopped now on the street with a small amount of heroin the gardai with descretion can allow the person to go and the gaurd will not take their heroin if the addict says that they are on their way to the clinic. Basically, heroin in this way is allowed while cannabis is treated as more detriment to society.

Alcohol in my opinion is 1 billion times more destructive to people than cannabis herb, but that's just my opinion on it as basic as it is.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Legalise it and you'll be moving the power from one bunch of scumbags to another bunch of scumbags. Only with better pr and much bigger reach.

We have enough problems with cigarettes and alcohol.

If you need your fix, just continue buying it off knackers and funding criminal activity from prostitution to slavery.

It's not like it's stopping you now, is it? So why should I give a fook what someone like that thinks in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Sarcozies wrote: »
    Just as I'm sure the average drug dealer won't resort to robbing people's dwellings and stabbing people because cannabis is legalised.

Maybe they might start dealing something else , it's a bit a leap to go from dealing cannibas to stabbing people /burglary.

Just say it then, we're all grown adults here.

My God, I wasnt being coy, we were talking about a drug, I said they would partake of it. But maybe you are right, 'big dirty spliff' might have been needed to clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

Decriminalisation only
    Gradius wrote: »
    Legalise it and you'll be moving the power from one bunch of scumbags to another bunch of scumbags. Only with better pr and much bigger reach.

We have enough problems with cigarettes and alcohol.

If you need your fix, just continue buying it off knackers and funding criminal activity from prostitution to slavery.

It's not like it's stopping you now, is it? So why should I give a fook what someone like that thinks in the first place?

A very narrow minded view on the subject.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

My God, I wasnt being coy, we were talking about a drug, I said they would partake of it. But maybe you are right, 'big dirty spliff' might have been needed to clarify.

I was hoping for midgets and cocaine TBH.

• Advertisement

I was hoping for midgets and cocaine TBH.

That's a different thread I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Keep it banned
    Legalise it and the tax it and then use some of the revenue generated to treat drug addicts as addicts and not criminals like they are currently treated in the justice system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Through the last few months of lock-down the emergency services have had a dramatic decline in alcohol related injuries and a lower than average case of assaults in regards to pubs being shut down. When the pubs open up across the country and especially night clubs, you will see a dramatic rise in alcohol related cases of injuries and assaults, this is a basic fact that alcohol is the most toxic substance of which causes misery for the many as a lot of folk just cant handle alcohol.

I do find the Irish government FF/FG especially to be a very backward collective when it comes to cannabis, these politicians sit in the dail bar drinking while at work thinking that alcohol is just a natural cure for all of lifes issues while denouncing a natural herb of this planet of which has numerous benefits to people if the herb is grown naturally in a professional way, non contaminated.

Look now behind the scenes. At this stage right now the government basically legalised heroin for personal use. If a heroin addict is stopped now on the street with a small amount of heroin the gardai with descretion can allow the person to go and the gaurd will not take their heroin if the addict says that they are on their way to the clinic. Basically, heroin in this way is allowed while cannabis is treated as more detriment to society.

Alcohol in my opinion is 1 billion times more destructive to people than cannabis herb, but that's just my opinion on it as basic as it is.

It's actually a bit different "behind the scenes " during the pandemic, a significant amount of addicts no longer had to attend thier clinics on a daily basis because of thier methadone being collected and being brought directly to where were placed I.e. hostel , cocooning service.
    Its actually illegal for anyone to have methadone bar wo its prescribed to normally but at the moment the HSE , Gardai are happy with the way it's being moved about.

A very narrow minded view on the subject.

No. It is exactly the opposite.

Some bloke cares more about getting off his tits than all the criminal activity it directly supports.

Said bloke would rather be drugged without having a guilty conscience, hence the push to legalise. But being drugged is more important, that's the self-evident priority. He'll be getting his fix off the local knackers no matter what.

So, again, why should I care about someone with such priorities?

The answer is that I shouldn't. And don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Decriminalisation only
    I have to say I'd love some weed.
    My appetite returns, i walk better and feel good. CBD oil hasn't a patch on herb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Decriminalisation only
    It’s a dirty and dangerous drug that is causing a huge spike in young men presenting at psychiatric facilities with life-changing cases of psychosis.

Yup another valid point in why it should be legalised. If you could source weed in a legal way you would know what you're getting and what's put in it.

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Yup another valid point in why it should be legalised. If you could source weed in a legal way you would know what you're getting and what's put in it.

Do you buy illegal drugs now?

Where do you get them from, if so?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Lyan

Decriminalisation only
    The "I know loads of people who are/do X and consume cannabis" argument has a major flaw. Your social group is made up of a certain type of people and you are not exposed to the majority. Using that logic one could say a lot of people who consume tobacco are working professionals, but we know that the middle-upper class is non-smoking, and even anti-smoking in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Decriminalisation only
    Do you buy illegal drugs now?

Where do you get them from, if so?

I use the internet, bitcoin etc.

I use the internet, bitcoin etc.

Well the other bloke disappeared.

My point is that the opinion of a person who's number one priority is getting stoned should not be trusted when they start bleating about all these supposed benefits for others.

All these things like getting rid of criminality associated with drugs...its not exactly stopping them now, is it? It's not their priority now, is it? They don't care.

It would be nice for them to have a guilt-free drug, but when it comes to the shove, it doesn't matter to them anyway.

Talking out of their hole, in other words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Decriminalisation only
    Well the other bloke disappeared.

My point is that the opinion of a person who's number one priority is getting stoned should not be trusted when they start bleating about all these supposed benefits for others.

All these things like getting rid of criminality associated with drugs...its not exactly stopping them now, is it? It's not their priority now, is it? They don't care.

It would be nice for them to have a guilt-free drug, but when it comes to the shove, it doesn't matter to them anyway.

Talking out of their hole, in other words.

Loads of just regular people have a grow setup and sell a bit to friends etc. It's pretty harmless in many cases.

Loads of just regular people have a grow setup and sell a bit to friends etc. It's pretty harmless in many cases.

It's a drop in the ocean.

And even then, supposed small time dealers that are just growing drugs in the attic... https://volteface.me/feature/aiding-human-traffickers-drug-policy/

But does anyone care enough to stop getting high? No.

Will they use the very thing they themselves ignore as an excuse in order to make it "handier" to get their fix? Yes.

Lyan wrote: »
    The "I know loads of people who are/do X and consume cannabis" argument has a major flaw. Your social group is made up of a certain type of people and you are not exposed to the majority. Using that logic one could say a lot of people who consume tobacco are working professionals, but we know that the middle-upper class is non-smoking, and even anti-smoking in general.

My point was only that it's not fair to generalise re: the typical smokers profile. It is also not fair to imply that the drug use is causative in their socio economic status perceived 'worth" to society by middle class and upper middle class, educated people. At the end of the day, like alcohol, it is a drug. With any drug abuuse (and I do mean abuse not just using it once or twice) particularly in a developing brain there are always going to be sequelae associated. Realistically it is a relatively benign drug, arguably significantly more so than alcohol. Just because alcohol is socially acceptable in the upper echelons of society and marijuana is not ,( maybe it is I dont fall into this socio economic bracket myself) is not a reason to condemn its use. The reason for that is complex and multifaceted. A lot of it is probably the fact that it is illegal and with that comes reticence to break the law to procure but also a moral high ground that has little to do with the effects of the drug itself. If it were to be legalised who knows what that would do to the profile over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Decriminalisation only
    Ireland isn't lagging behind "the world" like your thread title suggests. Marijuana is only fully legal in 4 countries, Uruguay, Canada, New Zealand and South Africa.

It is illegal but decriminalized in Australia, US most of South America and a handful of european countries, Italy, Portugal, Holland, Czech republic and Estonia.

It's pretty much full-blown illegal in pretty much every country in Africa, Asia, the Middle East, Western Europe and Eastern Europe.

Cannabis is legal in 11 US states, 2 territories and the District of Columbia. It has been decriminalized in multiple countries and enforcement is highly variable elsewhere:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_cannabis

It is certainly full-blown illegal in the United Arab Emirates which should be a source of the darkest humour imaginable in Ireland given some individuals we know who reside there at the moment.

The current policy wastes Garda time and enriches appallingly dangerous people. In Canada we legalized it and we are still here.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭nice bit of green

Decriminalisation only
    Would love to see it legalised. Benefits outweigh the negatives.

Username checks out

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Keep it banned. Enough idiots in the world without turning more into idiots.

Keep it banned. Enough idiots in the world without turning more into idiots.

Well if that's the depth of your opinion, I'd like to see alcohol, football and reality TV banned also please.

Decriminalisation only
    Ok, first off, let's get the myth out of the way.

Legalising won't impact the drink industry. If people want to drink, they drink. If people want to smoke, they already do.

Legalising will not remove it from criminals. Importing, licensing, taxing and regulating costs money. The Criminals won't worry about that so will stay in business. Cigarettes and alcohol are still smuggled and sold illegally. It will be the same.

Legalising will save Garda and customs time and effort. Well no. Licensing and regulation takes both money and time. It may become more cost neutral but it won't reduce it. Crimes will still exist as well. If anything I would suggest Gardai and customs would spend more time on the issue.

Now that's out of the way. You won't stop people smoking. Even in countries with very strict drug laws and pretty easy laws overall, drugs are big business.

At least if we give people a legal option, it's safer for them to not interact with Criminals and the product may well prove healthier. May not as well but I suspect it will.

The one caveat would be that being in possession of unlicensed weed carried penalties.

I think society as a whole needs to be met halfway on this one. It's ridiculous how many excuses you hear from smokers that buy on Moore street. Those sellers aren't saints people. They are Criminals who work for bigger and far nastier people as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Benefits - ?

Negatives - addiction, lung cancer, mental health issues, ...

Advertisement