Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gazzler82

py wrote: »
    Found it thanks. You might explain the rows (some are self explanatory) to me in simple terms if you get a minute :)

System Size
    Degradation factor
    annual deg factor
    Cost incl grant (minus fig)
    % Used
    Start enegy cost (in cents)
    energy cost increase (% in decimal)
    FIT (in cents)
    FIT increase per annum (% in decimal)
    Discount Rate
    Energy use increase (%indecimal)

Sure. Which ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

oakshade wrote: »
    10 panel, 3.5kw system with hot water diverter, cost to me just under 5800 inc vat.
    Price excludes 2 ber inspections. Thoughts?

Waiting on other quotes

Sounds steep, my guys included the BER.
    I think you can find better valu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭py

Gazzler82 wrote: »
    Sure. Which ones

Thanks in advance.

System Size - size of install in KwH
    Degradation factor - degradation of solar panels?
    annual deg factor - annual rate of above
    Cost incl grant (minus fig) -
    % Used - annual percentage use of solar generated?
    Start energy cost (in cents)
    FIT (in cents)
    FIT increase per annum (% in decimal) - do we think this will be a thing?
    Discount Rate - unsure what this is
    Energy use increase (%indecimal) - unsure what this is

Also unsure what "discounted value" is in column C.
    Any details around the assumption on replacing inverter every 7 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 NDB

Hi all, been skulking around here for a couple of weeks trying to suss things out.

I'm looking to get pv but I'm not sure what exactly I need to be looking for so the number 1 thing I'm looking for is advice.

Using about 9Kw a day on average over the last year. There's someone here all day at least 4 days a week and if wife continues to work from home post Covid then there could well be someone here every day during the day.

Hot water is from gas, but running costs of that is minimal due to recently upgraded boiler and Nest controls. Can't see any benefit from using excess electric to heat water. Had a BER last year and house is B2 rated. Would love to get up to A rated if possible. Don't have an electric car at the moment but it is a strong consideration in the near future.

So i guess my questions are what capacity system should I be looking for? Is there enough benefit in a battery to warrant the expense? Am I right in thinking there's no value to the hot water?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gazzler82

py wrote: »
    Thanks in advance.

System Size - size of install in KwH
    Degradation factor - degradation of solar panels?
    annual deg factor - annual rate of above
    Cost incl grant (minus fig) -
    % Used - annual percentage use of solar generated?
    Start energy cost (in cents)
    FIT (in cents)
    FIT increase per annum (% in decimal) - do we think this will be a thing?
    Discount Rate - unsure what this is
    Energy use increase (%indecimal) - unsure what this is

Also unsure what "discounted value" is in column C.
    Any details around the assumption on replacing inverter every 7 years?

Degradation factor. In 25 years time you won’t be getting the same power from the panels today. Every panel sheet I’ve seen always say what this will be. So whatever number is on your panels stick in here

%used. You aren’t going to use all the power you generate. The more experienced members of the forum suggest >50% used

FIT. Apparently eu reg from 2021. Greens in government would also suggest it will come in!!
    You can always put this at 0

Discount rate. Don’t worry about this. Leave as is.

Energy use increase. Was trying to capture somehow the increase of electricity consumption in my house. I have small kids so expect as time goes forward our use will increase. So In theory we should use more of our own power.

Discounted value. That’s just the future values in today’s money.

Replacing inverter. The panels have a 25 yr life. The inverters have 10. So you will have to replace them at least twice over the panel term. This is cash you will have to pay out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭championc

Surely there must be a broadly average percentage of your original electricity bills that can be used as a rough guidance for payback ?

My gut feeling is around a third to at absolute best, a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭KCross

championc wrote: »
    Surely there must be a broadly average percentage of your original electricity bills that can be used as a rough guidance for payback ?

Not really. Everyone is different....

Do people work from home during the day to soak up the free power
    Do you have an EV
    What orientation are the panels
    Do you have any smart devices and diverters
    What other high energy devices do you have like a heat pump
    Are you adding a battery, if so, how big.

Broad averages are meaningless really as everyone will answer the above questions differently.

For payback figures you need to monitor your usage and then you can take a swag at what your self consumption will be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,071 ✭✭✭✭unkel

All true, KCross, but a lot of people would have no idea how to even start measuring any of that let alone put it into figures. And for those people, who just seem to take the generous promises from the installer as granted, a back down to earth very rough rule of thumb for a large install of a third, maybe half at best if you have a battery, isn't a bad starting point.

unkel wrote: »
    All true, KCross, but a lot of people would have no idea how to even start measuring any of that let alone put it into figures. And for those people, who just seem to take the generous promises from the installer as granted, a back down to earth very rough rule of thumb for a large install of a third, maybe half at best if you have a battery, isn't a bad starting point.

You'd need to put some assumptions in there though when you make that statement.

No EV, no heatpump for house heating. Average Ireland household that uses <4000kWh/year.

An EV and a heatpump could/would treble your electricity usage compared to the national average so your "half at best" starting point is going to be way off in that case.

As you have alluded to, the sales literature is usually very misleading. They assume 100% self-consumption (via a diverter) and they compare it all to non-discounted day rate electricity. A complete scam.

Agreed. That rule of thumb would only work if no heatpump and no EV. And diverting to heat hot water doesn't count as self consumption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbUleZq1Nko good video on using the myenergie hub... Found it helpful for non techie such as myself !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭py

Gazzler82 wrote: »
    Degradation factor. In 25 years time you won’t be getting the same power from the panels today. Every panel sheet I’ve seen always say what this will be. So whatever number is on your panels stick in here

%used. You aren’t going to use all the power you generate. The more experienced members of the forum suggest >50% used

FIT. Apparently eu reg from 2021. Greens in government would also suggest it will come in!!
    You can always put this at 0

Discount rate. Don’t worry about this. Leave as is.

Energy use increase. Was trying to capture somehow the increase of electricity consumption in my house. I have small kids so expect as time goes forward our use will increase. So In theory we should use more of our own power.

Discounted value. That’s just the future values in today’s money.

Replacing inverter. The panels have a 25 yr life. The inverters have 10. So you will have to replace them at least twice over the panel term. This is cash you will have to pay out.

Many thanks for that.

How have people factored in a battery and/or iboost when it comes to the %used figure?

Can anyone offer data that a battery pays for itself?
    Or even demonstrate round trip efficiency?

Can anyone offer data that a battery pays for itself?
    Or even demonstrate round trip efficiency?

It’s a bit of a controversial one in here Sir Liam! I’m with you though!

I’m waiting for the biggest battery there is... the grid (FiT).

It's only controvertial because nobody measures the effin' lumps.

Power out / power in = efficiency.

Fit two meters

I work on batteries and alternative power all day most days and I've never seen a storage system come close to competing with utility prices.
    I'll tell you another thing I can get li-ion results from lead except lightweightedness and footprint for half the investment.

Get solar, if you have any change in yer pocket get more solar. Now you've 200% green power, instead of 75% extracted from a battery after system losses.

There's only one reason people went for the SEAI install with a battery - you got €2,400 extra subsidy (last year). A battery costs €900 + VAT and a hybrid inverter costs €700 + VAT more than a normal inverter (and it takes no more than an extra hour to fit the battery, say €100 + VAT, in total so €1900 incl VAT)

In other words, if you were not being completely ripped off by the installer and they added just €500 extra profit (!) for fitting the battery (big if in this country), then you got the battery pretty much for free (courtesy of the tax payer)

You could rip it out the next day and sell it on eBay and easily get €800 for it, so at that stage you would actually have a cheaper install than someone opting for the non-battery option.

In other words, Sir Liamalot, the efficiency of the battery doesn't matter a damn. If it never saves you even a single cent, it still makes sense to get it installed.

It's only controvertial because nobody measures the effin' lumps.

Power out / power in = efficiency.

Fit two meters

I work on batteries and alternative power all day most days and I've never seen a storage system come close to competing with utility prices.
    I'll tell you another thing I can get li-ion results from lead except lightweightedness and footprint for half the investment.

Get solar, if you have any change in yer pocket get more solar. Now you've 200% green power, instead of 75% extracted from a battery after system losses.

You'll see my battery setup is about 80% efficient based on my data posted in the Solar PV Performance Thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058050685

Lead and li-ion are in the high 90s efficiency, Chargers and inverters are much lower. the whole lot together is a waste of time if you have wires.

I had some words with the SEAI about how futile teeny domestic batteries are in the grand scheme of things. A few months later they axed the subsidy. Fair play.

The battery is reducing solar power to the grid. Without them we'd be burning less bogs and dinosaurs.

There's only one reason people went for the SEAI install with a battery - you got €2,400 extra subsidy (last year). A battery costs €900 + VAT and a hybrid inverter costs €700 + VAT more than a normal inverter (and it takes no more than an extra hour to fit the battery, say €100 + VAT, in total so €1900 incl VAT)

In other words, if you were not being completely ripped off by the installer and they added just €500 extra profit (!) for fitting the battery (big if in this country), then you got the battery pretty much for free (courtesy of the tax payer)

Or another reason is that people believe the sales literature BS and your fairytales about free batteries! ;)

The reality is it doesn’t add up financially or environmentally on the current(or previous) grant system. It’s a fact based on real world quotes/prices. Your hypothetical figures are irrelevant no matter how many times you post it.
    You could rip it out the next day and sell it on eBay and easily get €800 for it, so at that stage you would actually have a cheaper install than someone opting for the non-battery option.

In other words, Sir Liamalot, the efficiency of the battery doesn't matter a damn. If it never saves you even a single cent, it still makes sense to get it installed.

weird statement. So it makes sense if you rip it out and sell it on eBay at the taxpayers expense. That says it all.

For a guy who regularly complains about his taxpayers money being wasted you seem a bit blinkered around battery systems.

For all of those curious observers divide your payback time by 0.8 < 0.7 for battery coupling.
    Had you gone with double solar it could've been /2.

Batteries don't produce energy they reduce it.

• Advertisement

In all fairness, posts by Unkel about the cost of kit, are costs taken from the retail prices on websites like midsummer.ie and solartricity.ie

Typically, a trade customer would be paying less in total than the ex Vat retail price, so installers are getting about a 25% discount at least on the retail prices.

I do feel that 2.4kw batteries are a complete con. They will basically save at most 30c each day (they are fully charged by solar) if discharged replacing full rate electricity. So that's saving about €100 AT BEST per year.

Note to all collecting quotes
    It's therefore not hard to price up a system for yourself, with the majority of installers buying from the two mentioned companies. Maybe allow an additional €500 for cabling, mountings connectors and disconnects.

In all fairness, posts by Unkel about the cost of kit, are costs taken from the retail prices on websites like midsummer.ie and solartricity.ie

Whatever they are paying, the only price that actually matters is the price on the invoice that you, as an end user, is paying.

If you want to price up a system yourself from one of the wholesalers then its a DIY job with no grant and not what most people on this thread are looking at.

The gap between a battery quote and a non-battery quote is at best €1500 and in most cases more than that. Dont believe me, just look at the quotes on the thread.

A 4.3kWp system with no battery can be had for ~€4500. The cheapest battery quote is €6k+. Do the math on that and the battery doesnt make sense unless its just the geek factor you are after.

KCross wrote: »
    The reality is it doesn’t add up financially

What part of the big IF did you not get? :D

It does work financially, if the installer is not ripping you off.

I agree with you though about capital subsidies, they never end up where they were intended to. Dunno why the government keeps handing these out. Back with the first time buyers grant of IRP3000 that was supposed to help people buy their first home, it went straight into the developers pockets. To the EUR10k subsidy on an EV, went straight to the car manufacturer. The solar grant of €3.8k or what ever it is this year, goes mostly to the installer. And, this one especially for you, the EUR10 million we gave to the ESB for super fast charging hobs, seems to have gone into their already bulging salary and pension pot :p

A nudge in the form of a feed in tariff would work much better than a subsidy like we have it now

And for the record, I have not claimed a cent in any PV subsidy. All my installs are DIY with very little professional help. I do have a battery system, but I bought a second hand inverter for that and the batteries were also second hand and destined to be recycled, I re-use them instead before they eventually will be recycled

And if I could install more PV, I would. Literally every square meter of any of my roofs (shed, kitchen, house) apart from the bit facing north, is covered with panels. East, south and west facing. If panels got a bit cheaper again, I'd even consider covering my north facing roof with them...

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

What part of the big IF did you not get? :D

It does work financially, if the installer is not ripping you off.

I agree with you though about capital subsidies, they never end up where they were intended to. Dunno why the government keeps handing these out. Back with the first time buyers grant of IRP3000 that was supposed to help people buy their first home, it went straight into the developers pockets. To the EUR10k subsidy on an EV, went straight to the car manufacturer. The solar grant of €3.8k or what ever it is this year, goes mostly to the installer. And, this one especially for you, the EUR10 million we gave to the ESB for super fast charging hobs, seems to have gone into their already bulging salary and pension pot :p

A nudge in the form of a feed in tariff would work much better than a subsidy like we have it now

And for the record, I have not claimed a cent in any PV subsidy. All my installs are DIY with very little professional help. I do have a battery system, but I bought a second hand inverter for that and the batteries were also second hand and destined to be recycled, I re-use them instead before they eventually will be recycled

And if I could install more PV, I would. Literally every square meter of any of my roofs (shed, kitchen, house) apart from the bit facing north, is covered with panels. East, south and west facing. If panels got a bit cheaper again, I'd even consider covering my north facing roof with them...
    Panels can be got from Chinese companies that have warehouse in Germany so all duties are paid= I was thinking of getting a pallet of 30 and self install! Do you think these are reasonable ?

Full black mono 300w: 0,24 EUR/Wp

Black frame mono 310w: 0,235 EUR/Wp

Poly 280w: 0,22 EUR/Wp

The gap between a battery quote and a non-battery quote is at best €1500 and in most cases more than that. Dont believe me, just look at the quotes on the thread.

You can get over 20kWh of lead for €1500, why is that laughed at?...oh me aching back....

Incentive pricing is all that is. Install costs hit the sky since the grant.

Does anyone think quality went up with it? A market flooded with green cadets charging a premium?

They hop in bed with a brand and only fit that.

Is it because the products are good or because they get a good deal on them?

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    Panels can be got from Chinese companies that have warehouse in Germany so all duties are paid= I was thinking of getting a pallet of 30 and self install! Do you think these are reasonable ?

Full black mono 300w: 0,24 EUR/Wp

Black frame mono 310w: 0,235 EUR/Wp

Poly 280w: 0,22 EUR/Wp

EUR72 for a 300W panel including shipping costs from Germany (so incl. German VAT)? That's pretty damn good.

Whatever they are paying, the only price that actually matters is the price on the invoice that you, as an end user, is paying.

If you want to price up a system yourself from one of the wholesalers then its a DIY job with no grant and not what most people on this thread are looking at.

The most frequently asked question on this thread is "am I being ripped off" or "is this good value" ?

So the point I was making was that people can get a decent idea of a DIY cost and allow installer costs on top. So those looking at embracing Solar PV can very quickly see as to whether the quote is good value or outrageous.

The most important point of this is that people can understand the basis behind comments.

EUR72 for a 300W panel including shipping costs from Germany (so incl. German VAT)? That's pretty damn good.

Pm me a link please Unkel. My recently comissioned £50 G83/2 used SB1700 inverter I put on a 13a plug needs more input, I haven't pegged her yet.

The most important point of this is that people can understand the basis behind comments.

My most important point is forget the bleedin' batteries. They're not doing anyone any favours. Measure the system, payback's a b*t##.

Pm me a link please Unkel. My recently comissioned £50 G83/2 used SB1700 inverter I put on a 13a plug needs more input, I haven't pegged her yet.

Old inverters come up at ridiculously good prices from the UK regularly, I got a few myself over the years :D

And who needs all that fancy wifi / app reporting and data logging anyway? Not me. Nice to have as a gimmick, but I wouldn't pay any decent money for it

That link wasn't mine, it was from gomamochi1. Maybe they will come back and throw up a link here. You UK based or in Ireland these days?

• Advertisement

Maybe they will fingerscrossed.gif It's a very good price. I'd nearly take a pallet
    I've an acre for ground mounting, two rooves and a truck to cover in silicon.

Yurp Uk solar is so far ahead of this country they're throwing GTIs away.
    I'll hard wire it proper later...when it suits me. I was gonna fit an AC isolator...then I realised the socket had a switch and embraced the quick and dirty.
    I fit DIN rail meters. Link above.
    Spare me the cloud.
    Besides I like to have meters not affialiated with the device they're metering. Far more Honest.

I'm in Tipperary! Centre of the world!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement