Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE does comic relief

• 17-06-2020 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

As the title suggests RTE stars are doing comic relief for charity. I see the line up and I predict it will be a pile of carp. What do others think.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

As the title suggests RTE stars are doing comic relief for charity. I see the line up and I predict it will be a pile of carp. What do others think.

What’s the line up? Haven’t seen this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

RTE and comedy in the same sentence is enough to make me break out in hives.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Will people be requested to donate money to make it stop? Could be a serious fundraiser if that was the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,506 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

twirlagig wrote: »
    What’s the line up? Haven’t seen this

Jason Byrne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Jason Byrne

Followed by an extended 'Funny Friday' hosted by Joe Duffy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The only relief will come when it ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Some people enjoy that kind of thing. These chaps look happy:

CarpPile.jpg?w=620&crop=0%2C0px%2C100%2C9999px

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Here ya go

Hosted by Deirdre O'Kane, Nicky Byrne, Jennifer Zamparelli and Eoghan McDermott,

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0609/1146299-rte-announces-emergency-comic-relief-fundraiser/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Comic relief with the RTE Concert Orchestra? and the Normal People crew? that wasn't funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭Glebee

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Here ya go

Hosted by Deirdre O'Kane, Nicky Byrne, Jennifer Zamparelli and Eoghan McDermott,

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0609/1146299-rte-announces-emergency-comic-relief-fundraiser/

Hilarity will ensue. lol. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Here ya go

Nicky Byrne and Eoghan McDermott? If they ran out of funny people before they recruited the four hosts I don't have high hopes for the rest of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Here ya go

Those last 2 names bring images of torture rather than comic relief to my mind.

Zig and Zag are set to get dusted off and have their moth holes repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Here ya go

The list of hosts says it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,997 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just answer me one question, will Spittle be on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

NIMAN wrote: »
    Just answer me one question, will Spittle be on it?

Was thinking the same when I read this yesterday, but didn’t want to be accused of “misogyny” by virtual signaller E, when he strays from his beloved “scat thread”.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

This is a hilarious premise, if it were an idea for a satire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Zig and Zag are set to get dusted off and have their moth holes repaired.

I think thats Twink and Linda Martin you are thinking of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

God this sounds horrendous. If the list of people involved is accurate itll be tragic to watch. If they were performing outside my window then I'd close the curtains.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Sounds like a long misery slot.

RTE does Misery Relief.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Here ya go

They told me in January Eoghan McDermott was going to Australia

https://evoke.ie/2020/01/28/showbiz/radio-presenter-eoghan-mcdermott-quits-rte

What's the delay? He's still on everything - that concert thing a few months ago, pretending to shave his hair on the LLS for charity and now this

Is he saving up for the ticket? Can I make a donation? Times are hard enough without seeing him on the television over and over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Oh great, it looks like Jason Byrne is on board. Aarrgghhhhhhh. My only relief will be filling a bucket with vomit and tears at the death of comedy.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Skid X wrote: »
    They told me in January Eoghan McDermott was going to Australia

https://evoke.ie/2020/01/28/showbiz/radio-presenter-eoghan-mcdermott-quits-rte

What's the delay? He's still on everything - that concert thing a few months ago, pretending to shave his hair on the LLS for charity and now this

Is he saving up for the ticket? Can I make a donation? Times are hard enough without seeing him on the television over and over again.

Reports on clickbait sites aside, where did he explicitly state he was going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,429 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Will be interesting how many of them try to plug their own wares while they 'wurk' this gig.

Eoghan went to Australia to do their Love Island voiceover only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Oh great, it looks like Jason Byrne is on board. Aarrgghhhhhhh. My only relief will be filling a bucket with vomit and tears at the death of comedy.

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Acosta

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Eoghan went to Australia to do their Love Island voiceover only

I'd consider paying the licence if he stayed there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

• Advertisement

RTÉ will air a special episode of Normal People this Friday, June 26, to raise funds for Comic Relief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,113 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The "stars" of the gig would raise more money for charity if people paid for them to shut up.

Here ya go

the unfunniest of them all imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,429 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

With no studio audience they will have to laugh at their own jokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,259 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

The Pointless thread is thataway —————>

:o:o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

With no studio audience they will have to laugh at their own jokes.

So your saying Jason Byrne is happy that nothing has changed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Can’t stand Deirdre O’Kane. Her voice is so annoying, horrible thicko Meath culchie accent. She was absolutely awful when she was hosting the 6 o’clock show, no matter what anyone would say she would always talk about herself. And if you are gonna be an interviewer you cannot be a narcissist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Hopefully they use the same joke writer as they do for Dancing With The Stars.

Can’t stand Deirdre O’Kane. Her voice is so annoying, horrible thicko Meath culchie accent. She was absolutely awful when she was hosting the 6 o’clock show, no matter what anyone would say she would always talk about herself. And if you are gonna be an interviewer you cannot be a narcissist.

I thought when Appliances Delivered went tits up, I wouldn't have to listen her goose like honking tones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,259 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Will the Liveline Funny Friday crew be taking part?

I could do with a chuckle :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,501 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Here ya go

I noticed in the blurb for the show that it mentions that its for "much needed" money for charities. Well were the weekly donations on the LLS (which many of the celebs lined up for this were carted out for as well) not enough for these charities? If anything, each charity will receive less this time around than they did for the one show focus, because I am as sure as heck not contributing another cent to see that muppet McDermott claim to do something "hilarious" for charity all to keep up his social media existence.

• Advertisement

she should be put down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

How many of ye will be hate watching this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Christ no, you’d need to have a fetish to be watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,452 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I noticed in the blurb for the show that it mentions that its for "much needed" money for charities. Well were the weekly donations on the LLS (which many of the celebs lined up for this were carted out for as well) not enough for these charities? If anything, each charity will receive less this time around than they did for the one show focus, because I am as sure as heck not contributing another cent to see that muppet McDermott claim to do something "hilarious" for charity all to keep up his social media existence.

Is it not all a bit 1980s/Live Aid/Smashee and Nicey/Charidee?

Would not RTE be better off doing a few hard interviews with politicians to ask why so many essential services depend on charitable donations in the first place?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

No chance, Brentford vs West Brom is on at the same time. Thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Do these 'comedians' get paid for appearing or are they doing their bit for charidee for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I don't mind Deirdre O Kane, can take or leave her stand up but she's a pretty good comic actress. The rest on that list I'd happily have dropped from a helicopter at a great height especially that Zamperelli one. There is something deeply unlikeable about her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

RTE churns out a lot of crap but every now and then they can produce some funny stuff. Recently rewatched Paths to freedom which was very good and Deirdre O'Kane was great in it. When J.Zamparelli was J.Maguire she had some great pisstake interviews on (I think) Republic of Telly. Naked Camera/The Fear/the Savage Eye/Irish Pictorial Weekly had some very funny moments. So feck the lot of ye, I'm going to give them a chance - wish me luck!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

God, if only there was a way to harness all the hatred towards RTE on this site and turn it into renewable energy, climate change wouldn't be an issue then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Approaching this with an open mind. Some of the people involved would have tempered
    my expectations ..... But lets wait and see.

• Advertisement
Advertisement