Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You know God exists. Now thats either true or its not. Your opinion matters.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

Ah, the old deathbed conversion myth again...

What reason is there to believe that anything in the bible is true? We know much of it to be false, and much else to have been written decades after the events described by people relying on hearsay, then very selectively edited later still.

So, apart from the circular "it's true because it says it is" argument, do you have anything at all to go on?

Yes many things in life are still a mystery to us, but that is no reason to pick any particular unsubstantiated explanation over any other. This is why atheists often refer to the thousands of gods that you don't happen to believe in, and what your basis for rejecting those gods is when your own god fails the same tests.

How do you know much of it is false? Certainly Jesus is not. Yeah there will be this and that debate about whether he existed in here but I won’t engage with that. He clearly existed because the world was so irrevocably changed by him that the human race still actually use his birth as our calendar.

In the end he converted the Empire that had him sentenced to death destroying their polytheistic faith with incredible thoroughness. You can still visit the Temple of Saturn today in Rome but who worships Saturn now? Even Jesus own people and the fanatical Pharisees that led them were utterly destroyed within a generation after his crucifixion. Only in the last generation have they returned to Judea as the Bible prophesied..Too many things line up for me to believe he never existed or was a fraud of some sort...As CS Lewis writes Jesus was either a bad man, a mad man or the Son of Man. People will talk about the other religions but no religion comes near the widespread appeal, the sheer egalitarianism of Christianity.

As regards the mysteries of life, I suggest you read Eugene Wigner “ The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Mathematics in the Natural Sciences”

God is clearly a mathematician and in his own image he made us. Which is why we can perceive tantalising glimpses of his engineering in our studies of physics and mathematics but ultimately our understanding breaks down at any meaningful level.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I never knew that!

Was her [supposed] skull still around in the 1830s? It is still around now?

Ah now you are putting my memory to the test.

As I recall it, the story was that her bones were on Clare Island (there is a tomb there which legend is her's but I don't think it is for reasons I won't go into as it all academic blah blah yada yada), I can't remember why her bones were exposed but the old wan's O'Donovan was talking to said local women used to go to Clare Island and rub Gráinne's skull when they wanted to conceive.
    But, raiders used to come from the Scottish Western Isles to raid and they took all the bones and ground them up to use as fertilizer.
    And - this is my favourite bit - wasn't that fair enough as Grainuaile raided them often enough.

I read it in O'Donovan's letters in Westport library many many years ago so I may have some of the details wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,202 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    .. . . If the authors of the Gospels were educated men (and they would have been men) the probability is they would have dictated to scribes, and given the time period the likelihood is those slaves would have been Greek. Which could have informed the 'colloquial' Greek you referred to having been used.
    A thought occurred to me on this *conjecture warning* - it may have been that 'Mark' chose to have his narrative in what he considered to be the language of 'the common man' to make it more accessible and may have learned it from listening to Greek slaves/scribes.

Similar to what Lady Gregory did when translating the Ulster Cycle, her Cuchulain of Muirthemne is written in what she called 'Kiltartanese' after her homeplace. She employed the local English dialect which contained a lot of Gaelic syntax in an effort to reach a wider audience. Gregory herself would have had an 'Ascendency' accent and may have felt if she wrote in this it would not be 'true' to the material and/or alienate her audience.

Some like it but personally I find it patronising and fairly annoying tbh, but then I am not the audience it was aimed at.
    Still more conjecture coming up - and ignorant conjecture, since you know much more about this than I do. But that doesn't usually stop me . . .

I'd assume that a slave/servant/secretary taking dictation was expected to write as dictated, and not to paraphrase into his own style/dialect/argot. Thus most stylistic choices would be attributed to the author, not the scribe.
    Presumably many or most of the literary works we have from antiquity were dictated by their authors and transcribed by slave-secretaries. Do many of them feature a literary/linguistic style more characteristic of the slave-secretary class than of the slaveowning-author class? I wouldn't have thought so.

If Mark is written in a casual, demotic style , it seems more likely that the explanation for this is that (a) this was Mark's usual style , or (b) as you suggest, it was a style he thought would suit his intended audience, or possibly (c) both of these.

Which raises the further thought, if Matthew is written in much more formal, more elegant Greek, does this suggest that Matthew himself was a better-educated, more Hellenised person, or that he was writing for an audience with these characteristics, or both?

Usually when people write or speak using a register which is not their own, they get it wrong - just think of an English comedian trying to imitate Irish speech. It may sound Irish to an English audience, but all we hear is where he gets it wrong, and it sounds really jarring. Lady Gregory's works may have been well-received in Dublin and further afield, but I don't know what they thought about them in Kiltartan. And I think something similar may hold here - Matthew and Mark needed to be competent and experienced in the registers they wrote in, or what they wrote would sound false to their intended audience. And, while we don't have any first-hand evidence of how it did sound, the fact that their gospels were received and eventually canonised while so many others were rejected and largely forgotten might suggest that they are more likely to have got it right than wrong.

pearcider wrote: »
    How do you know much of it is false?

this is the very definition of the argument debunked three posts up.
    Certainly Jesus is not. Yeah there will be this and that debate about whether he existed in here but I won’t engage with that.

this is literally "because i say so" reasoning.

He clearly existed because the world was so irrevocably changed by him that the human race still actually use his birth as our calendar.

thor, odin and others have days named after them fyi

In the end he converted the Empire that had him sentenced to death destroying their polytheistic faith with incredible thoroughness. You can still visit the Temple of Saturn today in Rome but who worships Saturn now? Even Jesus own people and the fanatical Pharisees that led them were utterly destroyed within a generation after his crucifixion. Only in the last generation have they returned to the Judea...Too many things line up for me to believe he never existed or was a fraud of some sort...As CS Lewis writes Jesus was either a bad man, a mad man or the Son of Man. People will talk about the other religions but no religion comes near the widespread appeal, the sheer egalitarianism of Christianity.

many civilizations in history have toppled in their time.

no verifiable evidence of magic is attributable to any such event

As regards the mysteries of life, I suggest you read Eugene Wigner “ The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Mathematics in the Natural Sciences”

"read this" is good when you are asked for recommendations. it is bad when you have been asked to make an argument.

God is clearly

lol
    a mathematician and in his own image he made us. Which is why we can perceive tantalising glimpses of his engineering in our studies of physics and mathematics but ultimately our understanding breaks down at any meaningful level.

opinion

He clearly existed because the world was so irrevocably changed by him that the human race still actually use his birth as our calendar.

No, it doesn't.
    According to the Jewish calendar this year is 5780.
    For the Chinese it is 4718.
    For Muslims it is 1440.
    The Japanese have a calendar I am not even going to pretend to understand but it aint the Western one.

And Western is what you are claiming the 'human race still actually use' - that is demonstrably incorrect. The West and those regions colonised by Europeans use it. There are nearly 1.5 billion people in China who do not use it. There are 1.9 billion Muslims many many of whom live in the 45 countries defined as 'Islamic' and date from Mohammad not Jesus.

You stating a thing as fact does not make it fact.

• Advertisement

No, it doesn't.
    According to the Jewish calendar this year is 5780.
    For the Chinese it is 4718.
    For Muslims it is 1440.
    The Japanese have a calendar I am not even going to pretend to understand but it aint the Western one.

And Western is what you are claiming the 'human race still actually use' - that is demonstrably incorrect. The West and those regions colonised by Europeans use it. There are nearly 1.5 billion people in China who do not use it. There are 1.9 billion Muslims many many of whom live in the 45 countries defined as 'Islamic' and date from Mohammad not Jesus.

You stating a thing as fact does not make it fact.

Everybody uses the Christian year. You’re demented if you think otherwise. Or your hatred of Christianity knows no bounds. Probably the latter. It must be gut wrenching to see how Christianity is still so popular throughout the world and almost nobody cares about your esoteric beliefs.

Still more conjecture coming up - and ignorant conjecture, since you know much more about this than I do. But that doesn't usually stop me . . .

I'd assume that a slave/servant/secretary taking dictation was expected to write as dictated, and not to paraphrase into his own style/dialect/argot. Thus most stylistic choices would be attributed to the author, not the scribe.
    Presumably many or most of the literary works we have from antiquity were dictated by their authors and transcribed by slave-secretaries. Do many of them feature a literary/linguistic style more characteristic of the slave-secretary class than of the slaveowning-author class? I wouldn't have thought so.

If Mark is written in a casual, demotic style , it seems more likely that the explanation for this is that (a) this was Mark's usual style , or (b) as you suggest, it was a style he thought would suit his intended audience, or possibly (c) both of these.

Which raises the further thought, if Matthew is written in much more formal, more elegant Greek, does this suggest that Matthew himself was a better-educated, more Hellenised person, or that he was writing for an audience with these characteristics, or both?

Usually when people write or speak using a register which is not their own, they get it wrong - just think of an English comedian trying to imitate Irish speech. It may sound Irish to an English audience, but all we hear is where he gets it wrong, and it sounds really jarring. Lady Gregory's works may have been well-received in Dublin and further afield, but I don't know what they thought about them in Kiltartan. And I think something similar may hold here - Matthew and Mark needed to be competent and experienced in the registers they wrote in, or what they wrote would sound false to their intended audience. And, while we don't have any first-hand evidence of how it did sound, the fact that their gospels were received and eventually canonised while so many others were rejected and largely forgotten might suggest that they are more likely to have got it right than wrong.

My knowledge is sketchy as best - It was the 'reading' art part I was there for tbh - but I suppose (:eek:) that generally the scribe/slave was simply a secretary writing down what the boss had dictated.

But, more supposing (:eek::eek:), much would depend on the relationship between owner/slave as it would between boss/secretary. There can be huge variation.

I am on a surer footing here :p : Keep in mind the Roman view of a slave was not the one we would be familiar with which is the race based bondage of African Americans. Roman's never claimed their slaves were less than full humans for a start. Greek slaves -especially ones who could write - were highly valued and trusted with a lot of important work.
    Which could lead us to conjecture that Mark was not poor, or even middle income. He seems to have been a well educated man with access to a high value slave who could write in Greek.

Constantine hadn't shifted the Empire east to Byzantium yet meaning Rome was still very much the powerhouse centre so we can be somewhat certain that the scribe was a man in Rome who spoke and wrote in Greek. Scribe was, as I said manual labour, so unlikely to be a freeman, far more likely to be a household slave who acted as secretary.

It is not outrageous to posit that educated Mark could have learned both 'classical' Greek and 'colloquial' Greek from slaves in the household he grew up in - perhaps had a Greek tutor which was the thing to have. Being a Roman fluent in Classical Greek during this period was the sign of high status/wealth.
    We can be certain he wasn't a slave himself as he was educated.

He may also have had the kind of relationship with his scribe where he could ask for advice on how to make the narrative more palatable for common folk.

Now we can all contemplate Mark saying in perfect Classical Greek “Behold, I send my messenger, and he will prepare the way before me.” and the scribe doing intake of breath before saying 'bit posh... how about “I will send my messenger ahead of you, who will prepare your way.” Punchier innit". :pac:

this is the very definition of the argument debunked three posts up.

this is literally "because i say so" reasoning.

thor, odin and others have days named after them fyi

many civilizations in history have toppled in their time.

no verifiable evidence of magic is attributable to any such event

"read this" is good when you are asked for recommendations. it is bad when you have been asked to make an argument.

lol

opinion

Nobody worships Thor or Odin anymore. Nor did anybody ever beyond a few hundred thousand savage warriors who converted to Christ as soon as His words came into contact with their “culture” many centuries ago. So what is your point exactly? Read Wigners book and come back to me. You are the definition of a boring and uneducated troll. I won’t be responding to you again.

Everybody uses the Christian year. You’re demented if you think otherwise.

MOD

Pearcider, this is exactly the sort of post that earned you a break from this forum during which you were requested to consider what is meant by:

3. While posting of controversial questions to stimulate debate is acceptable, soap boxing, i.e constant repetition of a single viewpoint while refusing to entertain discussion on it, is both disruptive and annoying, and will not be tolerated. You are expected to contribute something other than placard proclamations.

If the only comeback you have to verifiable facts is to dismiss it as 'demented' than it would appear you have learned nothing.

Either up your game, improve your posting disposition, and engage in actual discussion or your next enforced holiday will be longer than the last.

MOD

Pearcider, this is exactly the sort of post that earned you a break from this forum during which you were requested to consider what is meant by:

If the only comeback you have to verifiable facts is to dismiss it as 'demented' than it would appear you have learned nothing.

Either up your game, improve your posting disposition, and engage in actual discussion or your next enforced holiday will be longer than the last.

It’s the year 2020 just accept it. It literally says it in the top right hand side of your post.

• Advertisement

Nobody worships Thor or Odin anymore. Nor did anybody ever beyond a few hundred thousand savage warriors who converted to Christ as soon as His words came into contact with their “culture” many centuries ago. So what is your point exactly? Read Wigners book and come back to me. You are the definition of a boring and uneducated troll. I won’t be responding to you again.

Firstly Temple of Thor under construction In Iceland

https://www.thestatesman.com/world/iceland-will-soon-have-temple-to-thor-odin-as-followers-of-nordic-religion-grow-1502664942.html

Secondly:
    MOD

Pearcider is taking another holiday from this forum.

Nobody worships Thor or Odin anymore. Nor did anybody ever beyond a few hundred thousand savage warriors who converted to Christ as soon as His words came into contact with their “culture” many centuries ago. So what is your point exactly? Read Wigners book and come back to me. You are the definition of a boring troll.

i. appeal through popularity? pass.
    ii. how many "worship" jhwh? it's not just a subjective test, it's an entirely subjective term. pass.
    iii. conquest determines fact? pass.
    iv. my point is that you are offering nothing more than very tired tropes that depend entirely on your wishing to believe them but are acting as if they are more than subjective statements (incorrect as shown)
    v. "read this" is good when you have been asked for recommendations, and bad when you are oh look we covered this.
    vi. boring? the discussion is boring. that's no reason to allow you unchallenged.
    vii. troll? on what possible basis? weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,202 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

My knowledge is sketchy as best - It was the 'reading' art part I was there for tbh - but I suppose (:eek:) that generally the scribe/slave was simply a secretary writing down what the boss had dictated.

But, more supposing (:eek::eek:), much would depend on the relationship between owner/slave as it would between boss/secretary. There can be huge variation.

I am on a surer footing here :p : Keep in mind the Roman view of a slave was not the one we would be familiar with which is the race based bondage of African Americans. Roman's never claimed their slaves were less than full humans for a start. Greek slaves -especially ones who could write - were highly valued and trusted with a lot of important work.
    Which could lead us to conjecture that Mark was not poor, or even middle income. He seems to have been a well educated man with access to a high value slave who could write in Greek.

Constantine hadn't shifted the Empire east to Byzantium yet meaning Rome was still very much the powerhouse centre so we can be somewhat certain that the scribe was a man in Rome who spoke and wrote in Greek. Scribe was, as I said manual labour, so unlikely to be a freeman, far more likely to be a household slave who acted as secretary.

It is not outrageous to posit that educated Mark could have learned both 'classical' Greek and 'colloquial' Greek from slaves in the household he grew up in - perhaps had a Greek tutor which was the thing to have. Being a Roman fluent in Classical Greek during this period was the sign of high status/wealth.
    We can be certain he wasn't a slave himself as he was educated.

He may also have had the kind of relationship with his scribe where he could ask for advice on how to make the narrative more palatable for common folk.

Now we can all contemplate Mark saying in perfect Classical Greek “Behold, I send my messenger, and he will prepare the way before me.” and the scribe doing intake of breath before saying 'bit posh... how about “I will send my messenger ahead of you, who will prepare your way.” Punchier innit". :pac:
    Couple of points, in no particular order.

There were educated slaves. As you point out, there were high value slaves, trusted with important work. And of course there were slaves who could write (and, necessarily, read). There were slave-tutors. All of that points to a class of slaves who were educated to an above-average degree. (Above average not just for a slave, but for the community at large.) Mark was educated, but that’s not inconsistent with him being a slave. (Though, so far as I know, we have no reason to think he was a slave.)

I agree that Mark could have been comfortable in two (or more) registers of Greek, and indeed in other languages. I don’t think that would have been at all unusual at the time. This doesn’t necessarily mean that Mark would have been a high-status person who acquired a demotic register from contact with slaves; he could just as well have come from relatively humble origins but acquired a socially superior register from contact with/dealing with higher-status people, and because it was useful to him. (Think of all those stereotypes of well-spoken household servants in “Upstairs Downstairs”-type shows, or young men who rise in their careers partly because they can speak proper.)

I take the point that the Roman elite had household slaves who would write, and take dictation. But as you point out many more people could read than could write, and there must have been a significant class of people who weren’t wealthy enough to own highly-skilled slaves but who had occasion to write letters or documents from time to time, on matters of business or family affairs or whatever. Hence it must have been possible to retain the services of a scribe on an occasional basis, in much the way that we might hire a plumber or a mechanic to do work that we aren’t competent to do ourselves. (In my case, this is a very wide range of work.) My guess is that those scribes-for-hire were probably still slaves, owned not by the persons doing the dictating but by someone running a business that (among other things) would provide scribes-for-hire.

Another possibility is that a slave-secretary might have been permitted to earn a few shillings on the side by doing occasional jobs for others. Even if you own a slave-secretary and are entitled to demand his full-time attention and/or to take from him any money he does come by, it’s generally in your interests that he should be happy, feel well-treated, remain motivated, etc. Often slaves were permitted to do things like this, so long as it didn’t interfere with the performance of their duties to their master.

Finally, specifically in the case of Mark, it’s not impossible that he could have been provided with a scribe for the purposes of writing his gospel by being loaned one by a wealthier member of the Christian community. Paul depended on patrons to support his mission, as indeed did Jesus; so why not Mark?

All-in-all, I don’t think we can draw too many inferences about Mark’s wealth or social status from the fact that he is the author of a gospel written in a demotic register. It is plausible that this gospel could be the work either of quite a high-status person or of someone in a more humble position.

Couple of points, in no particular order.

There were educated slaves. As you point out, there were high value slaves, trusted with important work. And of course there were slaves who could write (and, necessarily, read). There were slave-tutors. All of that points to a class of slaves who were educated to an above-average degree. (Above average not just for a slave, but for the community at large.) Mark was educated, but that’s not inconsistent with him being a slave. (Though, so far as I know, we have no reason to think he was a slave.)

I agree that Mark could have been comfortable in two (or more) registers of Greek, and indeed in other languages. I don’t think that would have been at all unusual at the time. This doesn’t necessarily mean that Mark would have been a high-status person who acquired a demotic register from contact with slaves; he could just as well have come from relatively humble origins but acquired a socially superior register from contact with/dealing with higher-status people, and because it was useful to him. (Think of all those stereotypes of well-spoken household servants in “Upstairs Downstairs”-type shows, or young men who rise in their careers partly because they can speak proper.)

I take the point that the Roman elite had household slaves who would write, and take dictation. But as you point out many more people could read than could write, and there must have been a significant class of people who weren’t wealthy enough to own highly-skilled slaves but who had occasion to write letters or documents from time to time, on matters of business or family affairs or whatever. Hence it must have been possible to retain the services of a scribe on an occasional basis, in much the way that we might hire a plumber or a mechanic to do work that we aren’t competent to do ourselves. (In my case, this is a very wide range of work.) My guess is that those scribes-for-hire were probably still slaves, owned not by the persons doing the dictating but by someone running a business that (among other things) would provide scribes-for-hire.

Another possibility is that a slave-secretary might have been permitted to earn a few shilling on the side by doing occasional jobs for others. Even if you own a slave-secretary and are entitled to demand his full-time attention and/or to take from him any money he does come by, it’s generally in your interests that he should be happy, feel well-treated, remain motivated, etc. Often slaves were permitted to do things like this, so long as it didn’t interfere with the performance of their duties to their master.

Finally, specifically in the case of Mark, it’s not impossible that he could have been provided with a scribe for the purposes of writing his gospel by being loaned one by a wealthier member of the Christian community. Paul depended on patrons to support his mission, as indeed did Jesus; so why not Mark?

All-in-all, I don’t think we can draw too many inferences about Mark’s wealth or social status from the fact that he is the author of a gospel written in a demotic register. It is plausible that this gospel could be the work either of quite a high-status person or of someone in a more humble position.

Absolutely.
    It's all conjecture.

All we can say with some certainty is who ever composed the narrative was educated to a higher standard than the average inhabitant of Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Read Wigners book and come back to me. You are the definition of a boring and uneducated troll. I won’t be responding to you again.
    I have read Wigner's book. It's interesting but it has little to do with the discussion here.
    Wigner was also an atheist, as is clear from letters to Bohr and others. He's using "god" as a metaphor for an objective perspective or the universe. Similar to many writers at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,274 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Clarification. Jesus was the son of God

Evidence...?
    performing miracles in front of thousands of witnesses

Translation: hagiographies written decades after his death claimed there were miracles in front of thousands of witnesses, but these hagiographies are wildly inconsistent both internally and between each other, and we have no proper historical evidence that the guy existed at all.
    ...and Mohammed was a warlord who married both a 6 year old and a rich widow and who directly killed thousands. In fact he had 11 wives. Islam spread by the sword and was only stopped from wiping out Christianity by people like Charles Martel.

So...?
    You can’t just take the existence of yourself as unexplained.

I don't.
    You need to believe that 1) the universe spontaneously decided to exist

Whereas you claim it was spontaneously magicked up by some supernatural being, whose creation or existence you have no evidence or explanation for.
    2) non living matter spontaneously organised itself into life despite us having no evidence of how this could happen

It is not true that we have no evidence as to how this could have happened.
    and 3) life organised itself into conscious beings like you and me by chance.

Yes it's called evolution.
    Just look at the animal kingdom, it should be obvious that intelligence and consciousness are emergent properties of increasingly complex neural systems.
    You also must accept that concepts like beauty and mathematics are merely accidents of nature that ultimately have no meaning
    They have the meaning that we put upon them. I think you are wrong about mathematics by the way.
    and were just invented in our brains and when we humans disappear then they will too...reframed like this it’s your meaningless atheism that becomes a bit of a farce and not my belief in a creator and in a universe with purpose. Materialism is dead. Deal with it.

LOL. Well I'm sure you've done a good job of convincing yourself.
    Also people like Gauss and Newton were extremely devout Christians

Hardly a big surprise in an era when you could be put to death for being the wrong sort of christian, never mind a non-christian
    and yes their opinion carries a lot more weight than yours

Appeal to authority fallacy.
    Don't forget that Newton believed in many stupid ideas as well as clever ones - he believed for instance that it was possible to change base metals into gold.
    or any half bit scholar like Dawkins.

You're doing nothing there except exposing your own rank ignorance, and inability to argue the points he makes. Dawkins is a highly respected scholar in the field of evolutionary biology.
    These men were true geniuses, polymaths of the kind that don’t even exist any more

Why not? Where is your evidence that "true geniuses" don't exist any more?
    and they were certain that Jesus was the real deal.

Appeal to authority fallacy mk.2. No better than saying that since Einstein's theories supersede Newton's, Einstein's atheism supersedes Newton's christianity - which is obviously a stupid claim.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

How do you know much of it is false?

Well it starts off with the utter nonsense called the book of Genesis, and goes downhill from there.
    We know that the Earth was not created in a week, populated by humans within a week, that humans are not descended from two individuals, that snakes don't talk, that people don't live to 900 years, that there was no global flood, that all creatures of the earth cannot descend from the inhabitants of an ark, that the global population cannot be descended from Noah's incestuous family, etc.
    Certainly Jesus is not.

Certainly? Show us your evidence.
    Yeah there will be this and that debate about whether he existed in here but I won’t engage with that.

Guess I was wasting my time then. You believe, we're all stupid, and that's that. :rolleyes:

Not all of it.
    We use pagan gods for the days of the week to this very day - does that make pagan gods true?
    The QWERTY keyboard is not the best way to organise a keyboard, actually it's one of the worst, but we're stuck with it because it's too much hassle to change it. Its continued use is not proof of its virtue.
    And there are many fictional stories and highly dubious or damaging ideas which have nonetheless had a profound impact on the world - doesn't make them true.
    In the end he converted the Empire that had him sentenced to death

He didn't, he was long dead by then, and (like the English reformation) religion was a tool of political power.
    You can still visit the Temple of Saturn today in Rome but who worships Saturn now?

I'd be very careful of employing this line of argument if I were you. It's argumentum ad populum really. Saturn's followers could no doubt have made similar claims about the gods he superseded.
    Proof of nothing except that religious allegiance is built on very shaky foundations and shifting sands.
    Islam is newer, has more followers, and is faster growing, so does that "prove" christianity to be false? I'd say that would be nonsense but it's the claim you are making on behalf of christianity vs. religions which went before it.
    Only in the last generation have they returned to Judea as the Bible prophesied..

So people regarded something in their religious book as a goal, and when they had the ability to achieve that goal they did so. Hardly a prophecy- and modern Zionism has been a thing since the late 19th century, and the state of Israel for over 70 years; a lot more than a generation.
    Too many things line up for me to believe he never existed or was a fraud of some sort...

God of the gaps / argument from ignorance. Two fallacies for the price of one.
    As CS Lewis writes Jesus was either a bad man, a mad man or the Son of Man.

Well we know which one anybody claiming to be god today is, so why would it have been any different 2000 years ago?
    People will talk about the other religions but no religion comes near the widespread appeal, the sheer egalitarianism of Christianity.

Yes, that's why it has gilded shrines to wealth all over the world, and its biggest leader lives in the world's largest art gallery. Egalitarianism.

I suggest you read "The God Delusion" or any work of Carl Sagan or any decent book about evolution and cosmology, really.
    God is clearly a mathematician and in his own image he made us. Which is why we can perceive tantalising glimpses of his engineering in our studies of physics and mathematics but ultimately our understanding breaks down at any meaningful level.

Appeal to ignorance again.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Clarification. Jesus was the son of God

You appear to be struggling a lot to even prove that this Jesus person existed at all. Users like OldrnWisr seem to be dealing with that claim quite well, and you have no rebuttal to offer them.

So I would take a different tack with you. Let us assume that a preacher named Jesus certainly existed. Have you ANY arguments, evidence, data or reasoning to offer to lend credence to the claim he was anything more than merely human like you or I? Or that he was a god or demigod of any sort.
    performing miracles in front of thousands of witnesses...

He was hardly unique in this regard. The followers of a man contemporary to us, sathya sai baba, also claim that he performed miracles in front of many 1000s of witnesses. I suspect you do not take the claims of sathya sai baba followers all that seriously, despite the witnesses being alive TODAY. Yet somehow witnesses dead for many 100s of years are credible? Hardly. You would wanna try harder than that to get the oul cigar.
    You can’t just take the existence of yourself as unexplained.

Thankfully you are not the arbiter of what I do, or do not, have permission to do. So if I want to take the existence of life and the universe as unexplained..... especially since it actually is unexplained.... I have every right to do so and you have no right to prevent me from doing so. You can SAY I "can't" all you like, but that hot air is just that. Hot air.

I have a tendency to call unexplained things unexplained. If this bothers you then I can only suggest you get a large piece of paper, use it to design a bridge, then build that bridge.... and then get over it.
    You also must accept that concepts like beauty and mathematics are merely accidents of nature that ultimately have no meaning and were just invented in our brains and when we humans disappear then they will too...

We already discussed, but seemingly you have just decided to ignore the people who replied to you and run away, the concept of whether mathematics was invented, or discovered. It seems it is an open question. I err towards the latter but with a mix of the two, in what my intuitions tell me.

So no when you say I "must accept" what you claim, the answer is no I must not. I do not accept it. I am entirely open and remain to be convinced one way or the other.

As for beauty it depends what you mean by "accident". I think we have a firm basis for starting a scientific theory of art and beauty and understand why art affects us like it does, and why beauty is a thing for us.

But yes I do accept that if all sentient life died, beauty would likely cease to be a thing. Because it is a subjective attribute of us, not an objective attribute of the universe. That YOU can not accept that or deal with it lends no credence to a narrative you invent to make inconvenient or distasteful realities go away.

In short "If X is true then Y is true.... I personally do not like Y.... therefore X can not be true" is a seriously intellectually bankrupt argument. I would drop it if I were you. It is not a good look.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I could be wrong but Pc is banned? Might not be fair to keep pointing out the flaws in his points if he cannot post to accept (or deny) them.

MOD

Pearcider is taking a couple of days break from this forum guys so cannot respond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

MOD

Pearcider is taking a couple of days break from this forum guys so cannot respond.

I'm sure he'll enjoy catching up when he gets out of the sin bin. :)

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men, you just can't reach. So, you get what we had here, last week. Which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men.

.... In fairness though, if I were to go into a certain udder place and yell "youse catlicks are all a bunch of ******** too thick to understand" etc I'd expect rather shorter shrift than is usual in these parts.

Obligatory LoB:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Hotblack wrote:
    Dawkins is a highly respected scholar in the field of evolutionary biology.

But he's a pretty shyte theolgian, sociologist, psychologist and philosopher. The God Delusion makes for is near infantile level reading. He should stick to that which he knows something about.

What he seems to want to do is turn his one trick pony (e.biology) into something that can comment on a much larger issue.

Which is an arrogance of sorts. Or little god as the OP pointed out.

Which is an arrogance of sorts. Or little god as the OP pointed out.

Rather like referring to oneself as the OP when one is the OP.

Dawkins does not claim to be a philosopher, theologian etc. I expect that his publisher chose the title, too. It would more accurately be called "Atheism for Dummies" :) but its target market clearly isn't those who have put much, or indeed any, thought into the question of belief.

Rather like referring to oneself as the OP when one is the OP.

The thread title is entirely pompous and utterly ridiculous also.

The thread title is entirely pompous and utterly ridiculous also.

It's certainly an eyesore in grammatical terms.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Dawkins is an awful pr1ck. Not sure if anything he says outside of his field is worth listening too (I am not in his field, so unsure if it's worth listening to their either). The fact that somehow people think he is some sort of idol for atheists is insulting to anyone who is atheist in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

But he's a pretty shyte theolgian, sociologist, psychologist and philosopher.

Hard to say until he attempts to write a book on any of those subjects. Just like if I were to write a book on the history of cakes, it would be difficult to guage my skills as a pastry chef.

In other words, you speak of arrogance, but the only arrogance I see is the straw man attack on an author about credentials nothing to do with the book the author actually wrote.

What he did write, and what his stated aims early on after the publication of the book were, was a book targetted at A) the lay man to religion B) people who have not thought much about whether or not they actually believe in a god or why they do and C) raising consciousness on the subject and getting more people talking about atheism and more people around the world who are/were atheists to come out and be honest about that fact. The book did little more, nor was it meant to, than address some of the more common fallacies that people thinking there is a god have fallen for.

And he seems to have been moderately, or better, successful at all of those targets. Which is likely why people such as yourself feel safer attacking him and his book for what it is not, and was never meant to be, rather than acknowledging it for what it actually is and he hoped it to be.

Another user put it well by suggesting it would have been better titled "Atheism for Dummies". Some good authors have written books int he "For Dummies" series and I would find it nothing but idiotic for me to comment on the credentials (or lack of them) of those authors because of the target audience of their book(s).

But what can we expect from someone who is ANTI skepticism in the first place? Likely your definition of a "Good theologian" under the rubric of you wanting your position to be default and skepticism to be stamped out and derided...... is that a good theologian is any one who concludes, like you, based on zero evidence at all that you have ever been able to present when asked directly..... that there is a god in the first place. If thinking there is a god....... even though there appears to be ZERO reasons (least of all from you) to think there is a god.... constitutes a good theologian.... then you can keep "good" theology. I have no time for it. I will stick to facts, evidence, data, arguments, and reason.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Dawkins is an awful pr1ck.

I don't know what this sort of posting adds to anything.

I have met him in person and he is a very nice man. Of course many people attack him personally because they dislike what he has to say and can't otherwise refute it.

Advertisement