Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You know God exists. Now thats either true or its not. Your opinion matters.

Options
1282930313234»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Agreed. I do not see him as a spokesperson FOR atheism. Just a popular speaker WITHIN atheism. And he has been quite useful in his own to the entire discourse as a whole.

Yeah absolutely. He's been very important to atheism. He might have been at the very forefront for a while, particularly around the time of the God Delusion and his time might have passed.

In the God Delusion he talks about how even a cherished theory in science should be discarded once a theory with greater explanatory power comes along. And it's a it like tha with Dawkins himself. He was really right about some things, but that doesn't mean he's, in any way, right about other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

smacl wrote: »
    Not sure who or what you're referring to there. Perhaps you could be a bit more specific and quote actual posts to support and better define your point above rather than taking a general side swipe.

I was not referring to anyone specifically in any explicit sense, I just feel that the people critiquing him in the most strident terms, are the ones who are also saying they either did not read the whole book or do not remember anything said all that clearly.

Do not get me wrong, the book is far from perfect and it can be critiqued in many ways. I have done so myself in the past. But at least I read the damn thing and remembered it's contents when I critiqued it. I would be less likely to critique it NOW as my memory is not as good, and I would insist on re-reading it before I did so.

If I am expected to name names then sure, Cramcycle would be an example. Rather than say his arguments were poor or ill informed or in bad faith, he was described as "utterly vile". When asked to cite anything "utterly vile" the response was vague, contained no citations, and suggested that he was not sure at all he was remembering the words clearly anyway.

Or we have Antiskeptic saying the book was infantile and lacking in substance, only to not only not be able to cite anything from it that was so.... but then admitted to not really having read the book at all anyway. Rendering his OWN position the one that was actually infantile and lacking in substance really.

Maybe I have unrealistic standards that I hold MYSELF to. But I just feel if I was going to critique some text, let alone in stronger terms, I would insist on having read and remember the text first and be able to cite bits of it to back up my critique if and when asked about it. The mileage of others varies I guess.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Sure, when some surveys even show that people who identify as "Catholic" do not actually believe in a virgin birth, a reincarnation, or in some cases do not even believe in a god..... which I once upon a time would have thought was the lowest bar you would have to cross to qualify..... then I think it is outside my paygrade and wheelhouse to even attempt to define what the word means or who qualifies for it.

So rather than worry about who is a catholic or not, I tend to ignore the labels people self identify with entirely.... and try to get to the meat and bones of what they as an individual actually believe. If someone answers something I ask with "Well I am a catholic" I will simply say "Thats great" and ask the question again.

Personally I don't pay much attention to other peoples beliefs until such time as they try to foist them on me. My concerns would more be about how people behave and how organised religion seeks to influence our society.

Personally I don't pay much attention to other peoples beliefs until such time as they try to foist them on me. My concerns would more be about how people behave and how organised religion seeks to influence our society.

Agreed. That is how I am too for the most part. Outside of activism and the like I do not actually go looking for religious conversations in real life (cept on boards, but that is what it is !for! I guess). But I still end up in them at times. You can not go to a lot of pubs, parties, and get togethers without the subject eventually coming up a bit :)

Even then I am entirely silent in such conversations until someone directly talks to me. I would normally sit back and just listen. As soon as I am drawn in though, and invited to do so, I get as vocal as I would be here on boards :)

Cram said he is obnoxious and pr1ckish offline and nicer online. I think I am the other way around :) I am very quiet and laconic off line, and a bit strident online. Until such time as I am asked to open up, then it levels out :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

But it does strike me as interesting that the people MOST critical about the book on this thread.... are the ones who are also admitting to either not really remembering anything that was in it or did not even bother to read more than half of it.
    Just to be clear I am not complaining about the book, I just don't like the man. Although in the same note, I have heard many people compliment the book and then talk about it and you realise that they haven't read it because what they are on about is not in the book at all but what they attribute to Dawkins and they seem to presume everything he talks about is in the book. His book is quite basic but overall, from memory, nothing I would disagree with in the round. Its not as controversial as people make it out to be and many of the people who would speak ill of Dawkins based solely on the book end up making silly points that are easily laughed off as incredulous. It was fine, a coffee table or toilet read. nothing too high brow and fairly reasonable regardless of your views on the world and gods (or lack there of).
    I have met many atheists who moan about the Bible yet have never read it. Granted most Christians I have met have not bothered to read it either, begging the question about how seriously they actually take it themselves. But I have equal disdain for the atheists moaning about the Bible if they have not bothered to read it themselves. I have read it multiple times. More than a couple of versions too. So on the rare occasions I mention something problematic about it, I at least know what I am at. But I would always defer to people who have studied it closely like OldrnWisr for example.
    I read it many years ago, there are parts that were tough going (listing of sons of sons of sons), there are parts that are funny, there are parts that are dark and there are a few surprising guest spots. I don't think Id ever read it again and I'll be damned if I could recall half of it, forgot most of it before I finished. The way it is written and subdivided I found particularly a slog. I don't moan about the bible because it was written before my time, the same way i don't moan about some of Christopher Tolkiens work. It is interesting but not in way that would make me want to read it ever again.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Just to be clear I am not complaining about the book, I just don't like the man. Although in the same note, I have heard many people compliment the book and then talk about it and you realise that they haven't read it because what they are on about is not in the book at all but what they attribute to Dawkins and they seem to presume everything he talks about is in the book.

Yea Agreed. I think this is a problem in so many areas. I remember the issues that came up on social media when Sam Harris entertained a conversation on his podcast with Charles Murray.

I read so much criticism about that online since then, and most of it was about things that never actually happened, or were said, in the podcast in question! Rather they were all things that were said in a misleading article ABOUT the podcast that was published on.... oh I forget now.... VOX I think. I can find out if needs be.

But it was absolutely clear that there was a direct proportionality in play. The more strident someone was AGAINST the contents of the podcast, the more likely it was to turn out the speaker never actually listened to any of it.

So I guess I hold myself to a higher standard. I will not critique something someone said or wrote unless I A) read/heard the thing in question directly myself and B) it was recent enough that I remember it and, when called out on it, can actually cite what I mean in defense of my position.

And due to that higher standard I can not help but find my respect for someone suffer a little if, when they are confronted in that way, say something like "Well I cant remember what he said but I seem to remember thinking at the time...." or "Well you know, I barely read half of it actually".

I try not to hold other people to the standards I hold for myself. But sometimes I fail.
    I read it many years ago, there are parts that were tough going (listing of sons of sons of sons)

Ah yes the family trees. I have been told that the only book harder than the bible to follow that stuff in, is Game Of Thrones. :)

I found it helped a lot to read the Bible in some of the more traditional versions. Like KJ version. Then to read the most recent translations/reinterpretations of it that are done in more recent vernacular. And then go back AGAIN and read the "originals".

There are people on boards who have done this in other languages so I defer to them usually. I have only done this in English and a TINY bit in German. Certainly not any other language, let alone relatively dead languages :)

But I find the same with Shakespeare. I used to love to read shakespeare. Then go read people who had translated it into "modern speak". And then go back and re-read the originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I have seen his twitter account over the years and interviews on TV. just found his disdain(and patronising attitude) for anything that didn't agree with him gauling. I had, up until I seen these things been in general agreement with him on most things. Like I said, if we met each other in a pub, we would probably get on like a house on fire but I feel, and maybe i am wrong, that as a scientist, his views on people who don't follow his views and his comments towards them to be unprofessional and unpleasant. Sort of the opposite to most internet cowards who would not repeat their speech in real life, I just found it hard to tolerate him.
    Sort of like that randomer you are having a few pints with, getting on great with and then you both stop at a chipper and they start talking to someone else about something else and you realise, actually, just because we agree on somethings, we clearly have very different views on others. Which is fine, except, in this case, its a big enough issue that I don't feel comfy being associated with them anymore.
    Maybe I am misremembering his words but I remember at the time thinking his intention in what he said was clear even his words were skirting the right side of the law. It wasn't much different than religious hate speakers who know how to skirt the line.

What intention are you talking about? I'm still not really getting an idea of what he has said or done that is utterly vile?

I take his claims to his own intentions on face value and take his word for it. He calls his intentions "Consciousness Raising" but this is just a fancy term for wanting A) More people to be talking about atheism and B) more people who are atheists to be open about that fact.

I reckon he has been moderately to well successful at both of those aims. If he has any other "intentions" I can not say I am aware of what they might be. Or what anyone claiming they are there are basing it on.

I take his claims to his own intentions on face value and take his word for it. He calls his intentions "Consciousness Raising" but this is just a fancy term for wanting A) More people to be talking about atheism and B) more people who are atheists to be open about that fact.

I reckon he has been moderately to well successful at both of those aims. If he has any other "intentions" I can not say I am aware of what they might be. Or what anyone claiming they are there are basing it on.

The downside here is that it has many people, notably theists, to incorrectly conflate atheism with Dawkins' ruminations on the subject. I for one don't find this to be a helpful association.

Indeed. It is one of the reasons I do not use the term "atheist" to describe myself. When you use a label to define yourself, any label, you are likely to have some people associate the positions of the most famous examples of that label with you.

But the term "atheist" in some ways defines you by something you are NOT rather than something you ARE. So I find the wiggle room people have to assign positions to you that you do not actually hold is much more flexible for that reason.

I never really care if people call me an atheist. But it is rare you will find me calling myself one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,030 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I read it many years ago, there are parts that were tough going (listing of sons of sons of sons)

https://youtu.be/YSO0FEMd9sw?t=87

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Peregrinus wrote: »
    His position is basically that people who are not simple-minded fundamentalists are not real Christians. It's a "no true Scotsman" stance.
    I don't recall him saying or implying that in the book, though if you say that's his position, then I'll accept it, and say that it's as simple-minded as the christians he's slagging off.

Christianity, like most religions, is an endlessly variable rabbit hole of great depth and most christians never seem to penetrate very far, despite many claiming, with great confidence, that they have.

in any case, I'm with smacl in principle - if somebody says they're a christian, well, I'll take their word for it and rarely, if ever, waste my time trying to change their opinion.
    robindch wrote: »
    Not that I disagree arguing with simple-minded versions of christianity, since that's what the majority of people who self-describe as christian appear to believe.
    It really isn't.
    To clarify - as above, I don't ever get the impression that the majority of christians have ever thought in great depth about the religion and instead, seem unconsciously to pick and choose a subset they find comfortable from the wider choice of cultural, philosophical etc nuggets which are available from the prevailing christian community - without much obvious thought to internal or external consistency, or clarity, or wisdom, or accuracy or anything at all really.

That said, one thing which I have noticed, with some degree of consistency, here on boards and elsewhere, is that when the nature of belief itself comes up in conversation, that many christians refuse to entertain any serious level of doubt about the accuracy of their religious beliefs - even relatively mild philosophical ones - and one could certainly argue that this does constitute simple-minded fundamentalism.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Indeed. It is one of the reasons I do not use the term "atheist" to describe myself. When you use a label to define yourself, any label, you are likely to have some people associate the positions of the most famous examples of that label with you.
    Likewise - Groucho Marx got it right when he said that he didn't want to belong to any club which would accept him as a member.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

But the term "atheist" in some ways defines you by something you are NOT rather than something you ARE. So I find the wiggle room people have to assign positions to you that you do not actually hold is much more flexible for that reason.

I never really care if people call me an atheist. But it is rare you will find me calling myself one.

I would come at it from a slightly different perspective.
    In my long departed youth words like 'queer' and 'dyke' were largely pejorative. Invectives to be spat at people like me to demean and belittle. The words were spat to at us to make us feel shame. And so people like me reclaimed them. Made them our own. Refused to let others define the labels attached to us. Removed the shame.
    Call me a dyke or queer and yes - that is part of who I am. And proud of it.

Atheist is a word that simply means I do not believe there is a God. It's shorthand for when I have no interest in getting into a debate.
    Other people can attach all the meaning they want but that does not mean they are correct. It means 'does not believe there is a God'. Nothing more, nothing less.
    People don't get to redefine words to suit their personal agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,113 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I would come at it from a slightly different perspective.
    In my long departed youth words like 'queer' and 'dyke' were largely pejorative. Invectives to be spat at people like me to demean and belittle. The words were spat to at us to make us feel shame. And so people like me reclaimed them. Made them our own. Refused to let others define the labels attached to us. Removed the shame.
    Call me a dyke or queer and yes - that is part of who I am. And proud of it.

Atheist is a word that simply means I do not believe there is a God. It's shorthand for when I have no interest in getting into a debate.
    Other people can attach all the meaning they want but that does not mean they are correct. It means 'does not believe there is a God'. Nothing more, nothing less.
    People don't get to redefine words to suit their personal agenda.
    Well, yes, they do. You got to redefine "dyke" and "queer", for example, in pursuit of your agenda of asserting pride in your identity, demanding respect and expecting equality.

People don't always succeed, though. Dawkins has never (SFAIK) attempted to redefine the word "atheist" but he has been associated with an attempt to claim the word "bright" for adherents of the particular flavour of materialist individualist atheism with which he is associated. Predictably, this fizzled; people assumed that "Brights" were claiming the label to suggest that, as adherents of Dawkins-ish atheism, they were more intelligent than those credulous theists over there. I dare say that wasn't, in fairness, Dawkins's intention but, still, the whole thing probably contributed a bit to perceptions that he is arrogant.

I think the difference is that you can do that for words that apply to yourself or to a group that you're a member of more readily than you can for words that you are applying to Those Other People Over There.

Well, yes, they do. You got to redefine "dyke" and "queer", for example, in pursuit of your agenda of asserting pride in your identity, demanding respect and expecting equality.

People don't always succeed, though. Dawkins has never (SFAIK) attempted to redefine the word "atheist" but he has been associated with an attempt to claim the word "bright" for adherents of the particular flavour of materialist individualist atheism with which he is associated. Predictably, this fizzled; people assumed that "Brights" were claiming the label to suggest that, as adherents of Dawkins-ish atheism, they were more intelligent than those credulous theists over there. I dare say that wasn't, in fairness, Dawkins's intention but, still, the whole thing probably contributed a bit to perceptions that he is arrogant.

I think the difference is that you can do that for words that apply to yourself or to a group that you're a member of more readily than you can for words that you are applying to Those Other People Over There.

Point taken.

I worded that clumsily - to put it mildly.

This whole refusal to use a label (which is really just a shorthand descriptive term) puts me in mind of Irish = Roman Catholic.
    That is not what 'Irish' (which is a label) means, despite an awful lot of people 'believing' it does.
    I am Irish.
    I am not a Roman Catholic.
    Because some (many) people believe a false equivalency is no reason for me to no longer attach the label 'Irish' to myself. Quite the opposite imo.

I'm not really getting into the whole Dawkin's thing as although I did read the book, it was many years ago and my abiding memory is that I was underwhelmed and didn't particularly 'like' it but can't remember exactly why after all this time.

I am Irish too. That is something I AM. So I have no real issue with calling myself Irish.

There are any number of millions if not billions of things I am NOT however. So why pick one of those billions of things.... in this case a theist..... and label myself as not being that one thing? It just has always struck me as a little pointless. I simply find myself without any compulsion to do it.

But yes I see the difference between redefining words (their actual meaning) and rebuilding the associations people have with those words. I do not think you "redefined dyke and queer in the pursuit of your agenda" at all. The words as far as I know mean mostly the same things today as they did 30 years ago. Just like atheist means mostly the same things today as it did 30 years ago.

That the words are no longer the pejoratives they once were does not, it seems to me, lie in their actual meaning having been changed. Just in the associations people have in their mind with the words having been changed. Do you feel the words have been changed? Or the narrative around them?

I am Irish too. That is something I AM. So I have no real issue with calling myself Irish.

There are any number of millions if not billions of things I am NOT however. So why pick one of those billions of things.... in this case a theist..... and label myself as not being that one thing? It just has always struck me as a little pointless. I simply find myself without any compulsion to do it.

But yes I see the difference between redefining words (their actual meaning) and rebuilding the associations people have with those words. I do not think you "redefined dyke and queer in the pursuit of your agenda" at all. The words as far as I know mean mostly the same things today as they did 30 years ago. Just like atheist means mostly the same things today as it did 30 years ago.

That the words are no longer the pejoratives they once were does not, it seems to me, lie in their actual meaning having been changed. Just in the associations people have in their mind with the words having been changed. Do you feel the words have been changed? Or the narrative around them?

Been thinking about that during the day and have come to the conclusion that the meaning of the words was not changed or redefined - they mean the same thing whether they are used as an identity label or as a pejorative. A Dyke is still Dyke (butchish lesbian) and Queer is still Queer (not the 'usual'). What has changed is the automatic negative connotation.

On the Irish thing - for some of us - the Irish born and bred - it's a thing we don't even really think about.
    But for 'new' (hate that term) Irish it is an identity label they chose to acquire - often at great cost in time and money - and there are sadly a few 'old' Irish who would deny them the right to have/use that label.
    There are even those who will insist that Irish means white skin.
    The meaning of Irish is still Irish but when drilled down into it what does it actually actually mean? That is under dispute. Different people have different interpretations.
    One could say at a base level it means 'entitled to a passport issued by the Irish Republic' but that ignores the children born and raised here who would not qualify. Plus there are people who never set foot on this island who qualify because 1 grandparent was born on it.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Been thinking about that during the day and have come to the conclusion that the meaning of the words was not changed or redefined - they mean the same thing whether they are used as an identity label or as a pejorative. A Dyke is still Dyke (butchish lesbian) and Queer is still Queer (not the 'usual'). What has changed is the automatic negative connotation.
    Ah, but are we redefining the meaning of "meaning" here? :)

If, when I use a particular word, everybody understands that is is pejorative, then that's part of the meaning of the word. Everything that is communicated to you when you hear the word is part of its meaning. So an abusive term for a homosexual person doesn't just mean "homosexual"; it means "homosexual-who-is-to-be-despised". And if the word is reclaimed, and stripped of its pejorative connotation then I'd argue that the meaning has indeed changed.

"Atheist" has in fact already gone through this process. It originally meant someone who denied or repudiated his or her duties to the gods. This might or might not be because of disbelief in the existence of the gods, or it could refer to disbelief in a particular god. (The early Christians were denounced as atheists, for example, because the would not offer sacrifice to the civic gods.) The word was inherently derogatory, because it assumed the moral or legal force of the duties being repudiated. [Agnostic was coined or, at least, adopted as a term that would focus on the question of lack of belief/knowledge, rather than repudiation of duty/practice.

Only in relatively modern times did atheist come to be a statement about lack of belief rather than failure in practice and that, coupled with enlightenment ideas about individual freedom an autonomy, opened the way to a non-pejorative sense. And this was accompanied by a shift in the meaning of agnostic; it came to refer to someone who not only did not know whether there was any god, but who asserted that such a thing couild not be known. Secular emerged as the term signifing living or acting in a non-religious way, without reference to relgious beliefs.

If, when I use a particular word, everybody understands that is is pejorative, then that's part of the meaning of the word. Everything that is communicated to you when you hear the word is part of its meaning. So an abusive term for a homosexual person doesn't just mean "homosexual"; it means "homosexual-who-is-to-be-despised". And if the word is reclaimed, and stripped of its pejorative connotation then I'd argue that the meaning has indeed changed.

I think you have to look at this in the context of time. At any point before 1988, homosexuality was still illegal and "homosexual" and "homosexual-who-is-to-be-despised" were largely synonymous terms as homophobia was the norm. I don't think the word has changed so much as society where open displays of homophobia are considered unacceptable and rightly so.

Religious intolerance seems similarly deep seated. What we see from a number of angles are attacks on imagined religious and atheist stereotypes which are far from stereotypical of the groups they represent. e.g. the bible bashing Christian literalist, the Muslim suicide bomber or the goateed Dawkins worshiping atheist. Where I think this is headed in this part of the world is that the arguments will become increasingly irrelevant as religion becomes more a matter of choice than imposition. For me, this is why secularism is worthwhile social objective and atheism is no more than a personal trait.

• Advertisement

I think you have to look at this in the context of time. At any point before 1988, homosexuality was still illegal and "homosexual" and "homosexual-who-is-to-be-despised" were largely synonymous terms as homophobia was the norm. I don't think the word has changed so much as society where open displays of homophobia are considered unacceptable and rightly so.
    Not at all. Even at times when homophobia was normative, "homosexual" was not pejorative in the way that terms like "queer" or "fairy" were, and it was the preferred term of those who wished to speak either dispassionately or positively about homsexuality - as witness the Campaign for Homosexual Law Reform in Ireland, the Campaign for Homosexual Equality in the UK.
    Religious intolerance seems similarly deep seated. What we see from a number of angles are attacks on imagined religious and atheist stereotypes which are far from stereotypical of the groups they represent. e.g. the bible bashing Christian literalist, the Muslim suicide bomber or the goateed Dawkins worshiping atheist. Where I think this is headed in this part of the world is that the arguments will become increasingly irrelevant as religion becomes more a matter of choice than imposition. For me, this is why secularism is worthwhile social objective and atheism is no more than a personal trait.
    Oh, I don't disagree (though I would point out that the achviement of the worthwhile social objective of secularism is to some extent the necessary condition for atheism to be regarded as no more than a personal trait). But I'm just interested here in the meaning of words and the way in which it can change. "Atheist" began as a deregatory term, but I think long ago ceased to be so. It's now considered derogatory only by people who are already prejudiced against atheists, in distinction to certain sexual or racial terms that we all know to be derogatory, and therefore avoid.

If, when I use a particular word, everybody understands that is is pejorative, then that's part of the meaning of the word. Everything that is communicated to you when you hear the word is part of its meaning.

Not so sure that's accurate. I do not think it entirely wrong either, I see what you mean. But I think there is a conflation going on too.

I think the narrative around a word is PART of the meaning a person intends when using the word... but is still also very distinct from the meaning of the word in and of itself.

I guess the most obvious example is a word I can not use due to the boards.ie filters. But if I as a white man call a black man a certain word, the context and narrative affect the meaning of the word.... despite the fact black people call each other that same word a hell of a lot of the time.

The meaning of the word is the same essentially, but the context and narrative around the use of it differs vastly.

I guess the point is: Words in and of themselves have meanings. But actual speech and communication is made up of more than just words. It is made up of narrative, context, intent, the relationship between the speaker and listener, culture and much much more.

So what we communicate when we use a given word can change massively over time, even if the word itself in isolation still means exactly what it meant before.

It is interesting that Bannasidhe above points out that "A Dyke is still Dyke (butchish lesbian) and the negative connotation has changed.

In fact if I google the definition of the word most of the results say things like "noun•INFORMAL•OFFENSIVE•a lesbian.". That would be exactly what I mean.

The definition of the word has not changed. In fact quite the opposite given the definitions still acknowledges it as being "offensive". Yet as Bannasidhe notes that negative connotation is no longer a given. Often quite the opposite.

So the word still means, even OFFICIALLY means, the same thing. But still, a change has occurred without the word being redefined.

So in short no I do not think we are "redefining the meaning of "meaning"" here. Rather there are two equally and wholly valid uses of the word "meaning" and if we each using a different one we are talking past each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

robindch wrote: »
    I'm not sure I follow you. So far as I'm aware, most or all christians believe that they're believing the right version of christianity while seemingly unaware or unconcerned that their neighbors are just as sure that they're right, while believing something different. Is it really a "weak point" to say that christians can't agree amongst themselves about what's true? Or is it just a point you don't want to address?

Suppose for a moment God does exist and that what is a "Christian" is defined by Him. This doesn't mean there can't be people who identify as Christians but who, in not meeting God's definition, aren't Christians.

We can liken the situation to a car crash (which shouldn't be hard for you to do). The folk (God-defined Christians) who actually witness the crash have different views regarding the detail but agree the red car and the blue car crashed into each other. We can suppose too that there will be folk who didn't see the car crash but who might have been in the area and as part of the buzz going down, when questioned by a police officer about what happened, think that they did see the crash. They parrot the bits and pieces they pick up from the people who actually witnessed the crash. They are not God-defined Christians (not witnesses), but they suppose themselves so.

Dawkins problem is that he supposes he knows what happened - there was no accident. He then picks and chooses amongst the material at this disposal to make the best case he can that there was no accident. He points to the disagreeing views. He points to the weakness of the testimony of people who didn't witness the crash as further evidence the crash didn't happen.

Dawkins problem is his a priori assumption.

The fact that almost no two christians believe exactly the same thing would suggest that there's some fairly basic problems with what christians are supposed to believe, let alone the allegedly infinite wisdom of a transcental deity who's presiding over the whole mess.

There are no two people who view another individual exactly the same way. No two individuals who view a piece of music or a painting or a piece of architecture the same way. You will find a lot of sharing of views within that of course. Someone like Theological has quite different view of God than me but our views share a lot too. Dawkins (and you) focus on the differences only.

It's another a priori going on. The view that God is an entity that ought produce uniformity of view.

What if God isn't interested in what Christians are supposed to believe because what there is to be believed isn't static. What if it's a life-long journey from where we start (an utterly false view of God, including the view that he doesn't exist) right up to the point where we have a perfect view of God. A persons view will be evolving all the time, if evolving at all. And evolving at different speeds and probably in fits and starts. And given different persons are at different stages, you would expect constant divergence and disagreement.

It's not unnatural, if folk are on a potentially evolving trail, for them to suppose that the current view they hold is correct one. Nor is it unnatural that some folk won't budge from the position they hold and won't evolve or will evolve very slowly.

Dawkins considers none of this. He simplifies the problem down where he is the one to define the starting conditions. And straw mans his way through the material in infantile fashion, not making any attempt to understand the problems he faces.

It's hard to get a man to believe something when his book royalities depend upon him not believing it.

Just to ground the discussion you two are having for the rest of us audience who are observing, could you jog the memories of those of us who read the book in question 10 years ago by citing Dawkins actually making the arguments, assumptions, rhetorical moves, and conclusions you set up and knock down above?

I know you are against people being sceptical, particularly of anything you personally assert to be true about the world, but I do remain sceptical none the less that you can present the arguments of a third party.... with whom you disagree..... with good faith, accurately, or without a few 100 fork-fulls of straw.

So it would be nice to anchor the discussion above with actual references to the person who.... lets face it is not here to clarify or defend his own position.... so we can act as good faith proxy.

Of course to make your car crash analogy 100% accurate above I would add that the people who claim to have directly witnessed the accident in question.... regardless of whether you think they are in the group who actually did, or the group who convinced themselves they did..... have the issue that when anyone else shows up there is in fact no cars, no crash site, and in fact no evidence the accident in question ever actually occurred in the first place.

In fact a better analogy if you can imagine it (which shouldn't be hard for you to do. See I can put snide swipes in brackets after things I say too.) would be to the "Indian rope trick". Like your analogy many people claim to have seen it done and even agree on many of the attributes of the trick and how it was done. There is however no reason to believe the trick exists or was ever done.

But with over 33000 different derivations of Christianity alone it is of course great fun to watch you guys argue amongst yourselves about who you think it or is not likely to be a "True Christian" (tm). Arguments that are the verbal equivalent of watching a boxing match between people who in fact have no arms to hit with.

The other thing that always interests me when theists appeal to witnesses, is that the longer the witnesses have been dead the more credible their testimony is treated. I have christians telling met he miracles of the Nazarene had witnesses for example. I am not convinced they did. However the same Christians disregard instantly the CONTEMPORARY witness accounts of people very much alive today to the "miracles" performed by people like sathya sai baba.

I have always wondered by what algorithm they select testimony to lend credence to. Why is long dead testimony more credible than that of people still alive today?

Just to ground the discussion you two are having for the rest of us audience who are observing, could you jog the memories of those of us who read the book in question 10 years ago by citing Dawkins actually making the arguments, assumptions, rhetorical moves, and conclusions you set up and knock down above?

Since I don't possess the book any longer and have no desire to read it again I'd have to stick to jogging my memory from the Look Inside feature on Amazon.

P.14. He explains why he doesn't opt to read what scriptures say in order to understand the whole. But if you don't understand what the overall is, and merely cherrypick the bits that add to the view you want to promulgate, you can't be but strawmanning.

He has a whole chapter on the great prayer experiment. Which presupposes prayer (if God existed and answered prayer) is subject to scientific inquiry. One would have thought that there may be "terms and conditions" on answered prayer. For example, that the people praying have access to God via prayer. How does one check for this with a scientific experiment? Well it seems you can't, so you just run with "if someone is praying (issuing forth words to a god) then that is a valid prayer for the purposes of measuring whether prayer effective or not".

Science!?

Or how about his citing research showing that, at root, human morality is the same the world over when you strip out religious, educational, societal, etc influences. He is trying to make the point that there is a common (naturalistic) ancestor which confounds the myriad of moral systems which are to be found across the worlds religious systems.

Yet the Bible says the very same thing: that the Jew (who has a written moral code) and the Gentile who has not, both have access to something else - God's law written in the heart, mind, conscience. That there is a common morality which is the same for all men at all times. And that this common law has nothing to do with the written law sacrificing goats or wearing fabrics spun in this or that way. Rather, it is a law to do with what all men know to be true: that cowardice, thievery, murder, rape, green eyed jealousy, gossip, slander, etc are evil. And that love, empathy, joy, peace, generosity, selflessness, forgiveness are good.

Dawkins and the Bible agree - there is a common ancestor to the fact of a common, universal root morality. They just disagree on the source. Dawkins wouldn't know this of course - for he says in his introduction that he would eschew actually understanding what the texts are saying.

Of course to make your car crash analogy 100% accurate above I would add that the people who claim to have directly witnessed the accident in question.... regardless of whether you think they are in the group who actually did, or the group who convinced themselves they did..... have the issue that when anyone else shows up there is in fact no cars, no crash site, and in fact no evidence the accident in question ever actually occurred in the first place.

Which is to side step the point. The point is that the sheer variation is pointed to as a problem. When it need not be a problem

But with over 33000 different derivations of Christianity alone it is of course great fun to watch you guys argue amongst yourselves about who you think it or is not likely to be a "True Christian" (tm).

Or watch The Great Prayer Experiment decide that all partakers are Christians?

Anyway, the point was made that it can't be helped. If the nature of the beast is that different folk will view God in different ways, in the event he exists, then so be it. There is nothing necessarily amiss with that. Even if that's inconvenient to a mindset that likes everything boxed off as a scientific truth.

Not that science itself isn't an evolving picture in which previous models get overturned in the path towards the summit.

Since I don't possess the book any longer and have no desire to read it again I'd have to stick to jogging my memory from the Look Inside feature on Amazon.

So the quick answer is "no" you can not and will not cite the actual arguments made that you are setting up and knocking down? Thats hardly fair on... well anyone is it? Also citing a random page number does not help either as we can not assume all copies of the books are the same. Page 14 for you might not be page 14 for someone else. The paper back for example has an entire preface of nearly 10 pages that was not in the hard back.

No, I think if you want to honestly rebut someone's words and arguments it is a minimum standard of honesty to quote what exact words and arguments, in context, that person presented. You appear both unwilling an incapable of doing this. And I am entirely unsurprised by this.

For example "Page 14" in my copy does not mention anything to do with scriptures AT ALL. Rather it is a discussion about which modern theologians he takes seriously and why. In short the ones he takes most seriously are the ones that include in their works the concept that god might not exist, and then proceed to argue that god does exist. He takes less seriously theologians who simply write their entire book on the apriori assumption that there is a god and that this assumption is not to be questioned.

In general historically the Atheist Forum here on boards has a dim view of anyone who will not cite the background to their points and arguments when asked and the "Go find it yourself on google" approach has been rejected more times than I can count. Bear in mind here I am not rebutting or even disagreeing with your appraisal of his position or his points. That was the conversation you were having with someone else before and actually I could not care less if Dawkins did or did not say it, and if he was or was not right in doing so. But as an interested onlooker in the discussion.... I can not follow the discussion if I do not know, nor can I find, Dawkins saying the things you seemingly ascribe to him. And given your history on the forum I simply can not take your word for it that you are in any way moved to represent his positions and words in good faith.
    He has a whole chapter on the great prayer experiment. Which presupposes prayer (if God existed and answered prayer) is subject to scientific inquiry.

You are going off on a rabbit hole tangent here nothing to do with what you were talking about before, or the citations you were asked to back up. Rather than back up the arguments you have presented SO FAR as you were directly asked to do, you are jumping on something else entirely and running away on a tangent away from it. This kind of dodge and deflect tends not to go unnoticed around here.

Actually to be more accurate, without your straw here, the experiments suppose that the EFFECTS of prayer are subject to scientific inquiry. Not so much prayer in and of itself. And this assumption is a valid one. After all if prayer does have an effect, then if you have a large sample group not subject to prayer, and a large sample who were not..... then if prayer has an effect at all you would expect to notice some differences between the groups.

The simple fact is no difference was noted. EXCEPT That people who were A) prayed for and B) knew it.... turned out to fare worse.

Of course that finding still does not curtail the hubris and arrogance of the theist who likes to tell other people "I will pray for you". The fact the study shows that those words might actually HARM the person you are showing feux concern for gives absolutely no pause it seems to those who really want others to know about their religious practices. By their fruits you will know them indeed. A theist truly invested in the well being of another would pray for that person and NOT INFORM THEM AT ALL that they are doing so. That, given the findings, would be the moral thing to do.

But I feel for many theists they are more interested in virtue signalling. It is not the well being of the recipient that interests them. Or the relationship with god. Or being a good or moral person. No.... the motivation for them is that people KNOW they are going to pray to god. And that says more about such theists and their character and moral system than I reckon they intended.
    Or how about his citing research showing that, at root, human morality is the same the world over when you strip out religious, educational, societal, etc influences. He is trying to make the point that there is a common (naturalistic) ancestor which confounds the myriad of moral systems which are to be found across the worlds religious systems. Yet the Bible says the very same thing

Here again you are doing the same thing I noted above. I asked you DIRECTLY to cite passages or words from the man backing up the claims you set up and knocked down in post #1014. Rather than do this you are continuing to jump on OTHER claims you feel has has made, nothing whatsoever to do with anything you wrote in #1014. And again you are doing so without citing a single word the guy actually said/wrote.

This is just a gish gallop of dodges from you in other words. You are NOT at all backing up post #1014 in any way whatsoever as you were directly asked to do so. Instead you appear to think that writing a long wall of text populated with irrelevant tangents.... that maybe no one would notice.

I call foul on that dishonestly alas.

But yes it is always a good thing to find common ground between groups that disagree. It is a tactic and rhetorical tool I use whenever possible in fact. I used it A LOT during the abortion referendum debates for example. And I was given a lot of credit by people on both sides for doing so in fact, even people who disagreed with my pro choice stance strongly.

So yes it is good that both the atheists and the theists agree there seems to be a common morality in play. And we can examine why that might be. The difference between Dawkins/atheists and you/theists can be summed up in occams razor. In that we tend to ascribe the explanation for this common morality in arguments, evidence and data that exists and we can point to. Whereas you simply invent a "god" to explain it without offering a shred of evidence (despite being asked, including by me, innumerable times for some) that this god actually exists at all.

The simple fact remains however that one does not need to invent the supernatural in order to explain and understand that morality.

However I would edge caution into this too before we assume a common morality. In fact the common morality only appears to exist at the extremes. On things like rape, murder, torture. As we move down the continuum of morality away from the extremes to things like theft and lying for example..... morality becomes much more divided and a lot less universal. The problem is when we move to discuss morality, we tend in discourse to run automatically to the extremes.

Also many of the things you list are not "morals" but "emotions". You listed for example cowardice, jealousy, love, sympathy, joy and so on.... these are not morals or morality. They are emotions. And I utterly reject the idea that any emotion is bad or good. People like to tell us "love" or "sympathy" or "happiness" are good and "hate" or "jealousy" or "anger" are bad for example. I think that is utter tripe nonsense. Emotions in and of themselves are neither good nor bad.

And who says "gossip" is automatically a bad thing for example? I certainly do not.
    Which is to side step the point. The point is that the sheer variation is pointed to as a problem. When it need not be a problem

Bit rich given the complete gish gallop of side steps and dodges you spewed above! But no I do not see it as a side step at all but an important clarification. The analogy builds into it a dangerous assumption that the car crash even happened. The only way to make the analogy valid is to point out that regardless of which group of witnesses you believe one person to fall into.... the "real" ones or the tag along ones.... the simple fact is that neither you, nor they, nor anyone you or they communicate with..... has the first shred of evidence any car crash happened in the first place. And that is an important distinction that does not get hand waved away just because you really really really really wand to hand wave it away.
    Anyway, the point was made that it can't be helped. If the nature of the beast is that different folk will view God in different ways, in the event he exists, then so be it. There is nothing necessarily amiss with that. Even if that's inconvenient to a mindset that likes everything boxed off as a scientific truth.

But it does not negate someone writing a book that encompasses the predominant and most numerous concepts of what this "god" is. The fact that no one book can be all inclusive without going into innumerable volumes in length does not negate a word written in the book itself.

If you have a concept/definition of god that is not included in that book then so be it. There is nothing necessarily amiss with that. Even if that's inconvenient to a mindset that likes everything boxed off as beyond sceptical rebuttal solely because that mind is "anti sceptic" and simply wants assertion to be beyond response.

But if you have a definition or concept of god not include in that book then that rebuts NOTHING in the book. It just means that despite years of asking for it we are sitting here STILL waiting for you to offer your definition and STILL waiting for you to substantiate the existence of the thing so defined.

And I am a patient man. I will keep asking for it and I will keep waiting. Maybe some day you will actually man up and engage.
    Not that science itself isn't an evolving picture in which previous models get overturned in the path towards the summit.

At the fringes it does, but not so often at the core. Anti science types do like to spin the fact science sometimes gets it wrong and then rights those wrongs as if it is somehow a mark AGAINST The credibility of science. The fact is it is exactly the opposite. A system of belief that is based on proving itself wrong and working towards the truth in iterations is much more credible and honest than one that claims some core truth was "revealed" int he beginning and is eternal.

So the quick answer is "no" you can not and will not cite the actual arguments made that you are setting up and knocking down? Thats hardly fair on... well anyone is it?

Did Dawkins cite the actual arguments scripture is making or did he just broad brushstroke his way through the Old Testament in search of a quote to mine? He says he doesn't intend to.

Also citing a random page number does not help either as we can not assume all copies of the books are the same. Page 14 for you might not be page 14 for someone else. The paper back for example has an entire preface of nearly 10 pages that was not in the hard back.

Amazon Look Inside page 14 is a reference you can look up if you like.
    No, I think if you want to honestly rebut someone's words and arguments it is a minimum standard of honesty to quote what exact words and arguments, in context, that person presented. You appear both unwilling an incapable of doing this. And I am entirely unsurprised by this.

As unwilling as Dawkins says he is. What's good for the goose isn't for the gander?

For example "Page 14" in my copy does not mention anything to do with scriptures AT ALL. Rather it is a discussion about which modern theologians he takes seriously and why. In short the ones he takes most seriously are the ones that include in their works the concept that god might not exist, and then proceed to argue that god does exist. He takes less seriously theologians who simply write their entire book on the apriori assumption that there is a god and that this assumption is not to be questioned.

It would depend on who the theologian intended his treatise at. If at someone who started from the position of God's existence, then no need to entertain the notion that he doesn't.

Fair enough if a theologian argued for the existence of God and assumed the existence of God at the outset. By all means ignore that. But if someone has no need to suppose God's non-existence for the intended audience, then what of it.

In general historically the Atheist Forum here on boards has a dim view of anyone who will not cite the background to their points and arguments when asked and the "Go find it yourself on google" approach has been rejected more times than I can count.

Again, I take The God Delusion approach. Caricature Christianity can be added to the 33,000 versions you say already exist.

You are going off on a rabbit hole tangent here nothing to do with what you were talking about before, or the citations you were asked to back up. Rather than back up the arguments you have presented SO FAR as you were directly asked to do, you are jumping on something else entirely and running away on a tangent away from it. This kind of dodge and deflect tends not to go unnoticed around here.

You've read the book. Do you deny that Dawkins utilizes the multivaried views of the Christian God as a device to evidence the probability he doesn't exist? It's an argument you've used yourself here with your 33,000 derivations.

I posed a view that there need not be a unified view and that the lack of unified view and even contradictory view is not necessarily an issue. It is only an issue if you suppose that approaching God is like approaching the natural world - something that can be progressed with largely linearly and ever upwardly towards the summit.

Did you say anything about that - other than to deflect into "there was no car crash" and missing the point along the way?

Actually to be more accurate, without your straw here, the experiments suppose that the EFFECTS of prayer are subject to scientific inquiry.

Why do they suppose that? On what basis would one suppose the effect of prayer is open to scientific enquiry?

If you stamped around the woods in search of a reported lesser spotted peregrine sparrow and found none, you, by your way of thinking, would conclude there were none. Someone else might conclude that stamping around the wood is the wrong way to approach such an enquiry.

This is just a gish gallop of dodges from you in other words.

That is precisely the term I was looking for to describe The God Delusion!

You are NOT at all backing up post #1014 in any way whatsoever as you were directly asked to do so. Instead you appear to think that writing a long wall of text populated with irrelevant tangents.... that maybe no one would notice.

You don't remember his citing that research and drawing the conclusion he drew about a common ancestor in the naturalistic evolutionary line?
    I call foul on that dishonestly alas.

I call that poor memory. The book clearly didn't have much effect on you.

But yes it is always a good thing to find common ground between groups that disagree. It is a tactic and rhetorical tool I use whenever possible in fact. I used it A LOT during the abortion referendum debates for example. And I was given a lot of credit by people on both sides for doing so in fact, even people who disagreed with my pro choice stance strongly.

So yes it is good that both the atheists and the theists agree there seems to be a common morality in play. And we can examine why that might be. The difference between Dawkins/atheists and you/theists can be summed up in occams razor. In that we tend to ascribe the explanation for this common morality in arguments, evidence and data that exists and we can point to. Whereas you simply invent a "god" to explain it without offering a shred of evidence (despite being asked, including by me, innumerable times for some) that this god actually exists at all.

You miss the point again. The point was that the Bible concludes in a common morality with a single source. Whereas Dawkins was Occam's Razoring his way to a score in pointing to the multitide of religions multi-moralities.

"The science says all men share a common morality!" he declares truimphantly (I paraphrase and tough if you want a citation).

"Er... the Bible got there before you, we already knew that" say a not insignificant cohort of the worlds Christians

The point wasn't to prove God.

However I would edge caution into this too before we assume a common morality. In fact the common morality only appears to exist at the extremes. On things like rape, murder, torture. As we move down the continuum of morality away from the extremes to things like theft and lying for example..... morality becomes much more divided and a lot less universal.

And so we move into cultural influences and the like: the owner of a bazaar in the Middle East will throw his hands up in horror and say that your offer of 90% of his asking price is the most insulting offer he has ever had in his whole life. He is lying but it is not lying of the lying that mankind shares a common view on. Lying to deceive for self-serving end and at cost to another is commonly detested (even though we do it ourselves when it suits us)

Also many of the things you list are not "morals" but "emotions". You listed for example cowardice, jealousy, love, sympathy, joy and so on.... these are not morals or morality. They are emotions. And I utterly reject the idea that any emotion is bad or good. People like to tell us "love" or "sympathy" or "happiness" are good and "hate" or "jealousy" or "anger" are bad for example. I think that is utter tripe nonsense. Emotions in and of themselves are neither good nor bad.

So you say. Jealousy brings seething hatred. The person of whom you are jealous is murdered in your heart. And out of the heart comes actual murder. And whilst jealousy festers there, your own mind is darkened. Not bad you say...
    The analogy builds into it a dangerous assumption that the car crash even happened.

Well since the people are talking of a car crash some time ago and all the physical evidence has long since disappeared, you're out of luck in that department. What Dawkins does is focus on this disparity of view to deny there ever was a car crash. Whereas disparity of view is to be expected in the event of a car crash.

Could you focus on that - I am not making any point that the car crash actually happened. Just on the weakness of an approach (for it is common here too) that sees divergence of view itself as evidence that the car crash never happened.

But it does not negate someone writing a book that encompasses the predominant and most numerous concepts of what this "god" is. The fact that no one book can be all inclusive without going into innumerable volumes in length does not negate a word written in the book itself.

I appreciate that a single book can only go so far. But who is declaring that these are the most predominant and numerous concepts of what this god is? Someone who is openly antagonistic about religion is not one to be looking for a fair, in context appraisal of how, eg: Christianity views God. Again, the problem of divergence of view in Christianity is a problem for Dawkins, and one that probably can't be resolved. He is content to cherry pick and gish gallop is way through whatever the best highlights he can find which bake the cake he is trying to bake.

You seem to think he is approaching this as some kind of neutral, genuinely-after-the-truth individual. Pigs might fly.

If you have a concept/definition of god that is not included in that book then so be it. There is nothing necessarily amiss with that. Even if that's inconvenient to a mindset that likes everything boxed off as beyond sceptical rebuttal solely because that mind is "anti sceptic" and simply wants assertion to be beyond response.

But if you have a definition or concept of god not include in that book then that rebuts NOTHING in the book. It just means that despite years of asking for it we are sitting here STILL waiting for you to offer your definition and STILL waiting for you to substantiate the existence of the thing so defined.

And I am a patient man. I will keep asking for it and I will keep waiting. Maybe some day you will actually man up and engage.

The concept and definition of God depends on many things but one of them most certainly, is an understanding of what is being said and what is not being said. There is no possible way a cut n' paste of particular morsels is going to in anyway arrive an accurate picture of what is being said: whether reading the Bible or understanding a scientific theory. You have to follow the whole thing, start to finish and then you can at least appreciate and evaluate for yourself.

Even if someone did manage to do that with the Bible, and Dawkins hasn't by any means, they may still not conclude God (although many have from that exercise). But at least they won't run off half cocked talking through their arses.

I too still await proof. Proof that any of the various philosophies which underpin your belief system are true. Empirical evidence is the primary way in which we come to an understanding about the scope of and working of all reality. I mean, go prove?

If you would only spare me smacl's "we're on an ever onward and upward trajectory" evidencing of that idea. For the "ever onwards and upwards" viewpoint is problematic.

At the fringes it does, but not so often at the core. Anti science types do like to spin the fact science sometimes gets it wrong and then rights those wrongs as if it is somehow a mark AGAINST The credibility of science. The fact is it is exactly the opposite. A system of belief that is based on proving itself wrong and working towards the truth in iterations is much more credible and honest than one that claims some core truth was "revealed" int he beginning and is eternal.

And that I think is a problem. I agree that science works that way. It is on a linear path towards the summit, sometimes stumbling back a pace, but then finding new grips and working past the particular obstacle. It is clearly further along now that it was 100 years ago and was clearly further along 100 years ago than it was 200 years ago. Such is the characteristic of the scientific endeavor.

That mindset is then projected into a view that all reality can be approached in this way. That there is a linear path to the summit of our understanding and navigating it. When that need not be. It can be messy and confusing and result in paths seemingly wandering all over the place (to the linear-up demanding mind).

The linear-to-the-summit holds that what we know today is superior than what we knew yesterday - in all areas of life. It wants there to be a unified, accurate view, supposing that a unified accurate view is the only way to arrive at the summit.

But who says that system has any merit in describing reality? Unless of course, you predefine reality to be such, that that view is the optimal way to navigate it.

Too many quotes in a post dissection makes it impossible to read and reply to. So forgive me if I reduce your 17 of them down to something more manageable. I generally try to limit myself to 5, though sometimes I fail. But like any rhetorical tool, proper use adds clarity and over use adds obfuscation. So I will aim for a target of 10 for now and see if I can whittle it down further as conversation progresses.
    Did Dawkins cite the actual arguments scripture is making or did he just broad brushstroke his way through the Old Testament in search of a quote to mine? He says he doesn't intend to. Amazon Look Inside page 14 is a reference you can look up if you like. As unwilling as Dawkins says he is. What's good for the goose isn't for the gander?

Again no. You are putting words in his mouth and I am asking you to cite exactly what you are referring to to ensure that you are representing him correctly. If you will not cite what you are talking about the "Go to google and find my evidence for me" approach is one that has been rejected on this forum multiple times before. You are now asking ME above what he cited or did not cite??? You are essentially asking me to do your work for you. The rules of this forum were once edited to deal with this approach of being asked for evidence multiple times, and abjectly refusing consistently to provide it.

No thanks, no way, no how. If YOU want to reply to something HE said then cite him. Do not ask me what he did or did not do/say/cite. That is just profoundly dishonest and deflectionary from you.
    It would depend on who the theologian intended his treatise at. If at someone who started from the position of God's existence, then no need to entertain the notion that he doesn't.

Fair enough if a theologian argued for the existence of God and assumed the existence of God at the outset. By all means ignore that. But if someone has no need to suppose God's non-existence for the intended audience, then what of it. Again, I take The God Delusion approach. Caricature Christianity can be added to the 33,000 versions you say already exist.

Yet you have not shown any one actually is making a caricature. You just claim they are and then when asked to cite anything they actually did/said you deflect and refuse. I am not willing to take YOUR word for it as to what someone elses position is or is not. If you want to rebut something someone said then start by showing they actually said it, what they said, and in what context. Then we can talk like actual adults.

But yes you almost make my point for me above when you talk about who the intended audience of a treatise is. The intended audience of Dawkins book was people who are unsure of whether there is a god or not, or who think there might be but are unsure WHY they think there might be. Therefore his position is a useful one, that the Theologians he took the most seriously in the context of his book were the theologians who did not start with that existence as a given. And that is perfectly ok as an approach. So his algorithm for how he chose which Theologians to lend credence to IN THE CONTEXT OF HIS BOOK, is a valid and defensible one.
    You've read the book. Do you deny

I deny nothing. I said clearly already it is over 10 years since i read the book and that I do not remember him saying the things you are claiming he said. Therefore I am merely asking you for citations because I am not convinced you.... having admitted to not actually really having read the book yourself at all in the first place let us not forget....... are remembering or representing his positions accurately or with good faith.

Until such time as you show me what you think he actually said, I can neither confirm NOR deny any ideas.Not his and certainly not yours.
    It's an argument you've used yourself here with your 33,000 derivations.

That is not an argument I made no. I MENTIONED the number of derivations. But I was not making the argument you just pretend I was while doing so. This is another in a long line of discussions with you therefore where I am left unconvinced that when you summarise the arguments another person has made.... that you will do it honestly, accurately, or in good faith. Which is why I am demanding you cite what was actually said, rather than just tell us what you think the author said/meant.

When you here, in black and white, demonstrably in front of everyone the willingness to entirely mischaracterise the arguments I made TODAY.... I think it understandable therefore that I might be highly dubious that you are accurately and honestly representing the arguments of someone from over a decade ago in a book you admit you did not really read.
    Why do they suppose that? On what basis would one suppose the effect of prayer is open to scientific enquiry?

If you stamped around the woods in search of a reported lesser spotted peregrine sparrow and found none, you, by your way of thinking, would conclude there were none.

More misrepresentation of my positions and thinking from you here too. The list grows ever longer.

If something has an actual effect in our world then of course it is open to scientific inquiry. If the effect is not observed that does not mean an effect is not there of course. No one claimed otherwise despite your straw manning here above. I struggle to think of a single case where you ever wrote something like "by your way of thinking" and then actually wrote something I genuinely think.

I think you are a complete lay man to science so your errors are forgivable. I can 'splain it to ya better so you get hip to the realities though. If someone things that X has an effect in our reality we can use the tools of science to try and observe it. We will either observe it and confirm there is likely to be an effect, or we can fail to observe it and therefore say nothing more than there is a complete lack of evidence it has an effect. We can therefore conclude safely it has no effect and operate under that ASSUMPTION. But that is not the same as us stating categorically is has no effect. It is us stating that it has been shown to have no effect and then proceeding under that rubric.

It is similar to the theists coming peridically into this forum and claiming that "Atheism" means we actively believe there is no god. And that this is a faith position. Despite atheists then lining up to deny that that is their position, that their position is that they do not believe there IS a god and that FUNCTIONALLY this means they operate under the narrative/rubric there is none.

Either praying for people to recover from illness has an effect (sometimes, or always)..... or it has no effect. That question is open to scientific inquiry. I explained in the previous post how. And the results of that inquiry SO FAR has been that A) no effect of prayer has been observed at all and B) a negative harmful effect of TELLING people they are being prayed for showed up in the results.

So please do not presume to tell me what my way of thinking concludes. If you want to know what my way of thinking will conclude, have the decency, decorum, honesty, and adult strength of character to ASK me. I know what and how I think. You.... demonstrably..... do not.
    That is precisely the term I was looking for to describe The God Delusion! You don't remember his citing that research and drawing the conclusion he drew about a common ancestor in the naturalistic evolutionary line? I call that poor memory. The book clearly didn't have much effect on you.

You can "call it" whatever you like, that does not make it so. All you do in the words above is fling out a string of labels. Once again neither showing the labels stick, or citing a single thing to back up the claims you make on behalf of another. Your ENTIRE MO in this discussion is to put as many words in the mouths of others as possible without once acquiescing to a single request you show those words actually came from there.
    You miss the point again. The point was that the Bible concludes in a common morality with a single source. Whereas Dawkins was Occam's Razoring his way to a score in pointing to the multitide of religions multi-moralities.

You no understanding my point is not the same as me missing yours. Your point is perfectly clear, it is just nonsense. The simple fact is that both groups appear to look at a common shared morality and engage in theorising as to the explaination/reasons for the existence of it. However one group does so by recourse to evidence we actually have. The other group does so by simply making stuff up that they then.... as evidenced by people like yourself.... entirey refuse to substantiate the existence of entirely.

However you are most disingenuous with the "we already knew that" nonsense about the Bible. As if the bible knew it long before science did or something. That is not an accurate narrative. It is not that science some how did not know it when the bible did. It is that science more recently explored the WHY of it.
    And so we move into cultural influences and the like: the owner of a bazaar in the Middle East will throw his hands up in horror and say that your offer of 90% of his asking price is the most insulting offer he has ever had in his whole life. He is lying but it is not lying of the lying that mankind shares a common view on. Lying to deceive for self-serving end and at cost to another is commonly detested (even though we do it ourselves when it suits us)

So you say. Jealousy brings seething hatred. The person of whom you are jealous is murdered in your heart. And out of the heart comes actual murder. And whilst jealousy festers there, your own mind is darkened. Not bad you say...

You talk about all of the above as if they are some sort of given. That is just your fantasy and little more. They are not at all a given. Lying is not always done to deceive for the purposes of self serving, and jealousy does not always lead to hatred or murder or violence.

That is the subjectivity of both emotion and morality and you prove my point for me which is lovely. There are people who argue, sometimes quite convincingly, that we should NEVER lie. Ever. In any context. Sam Harris wrote a free to download book on that very argument for example. But others argue the opposite that there are situations where it would be absolutely the wrong thing to do NOT to lie. So the idea that there is some universal morality is not one I take seriously. At the extremes of morality opinion converges more often that not. But that does not stop it being opinion, and it does not at all make morality objective or universal. Not even a little.

And every emotion whether you would cast them as positive or negative, can lead to positive and negative outcomes. That is why I reject the notion of positive and negative emotions. "Love" is probably the most lauded of "positive" emotions for example. But unrequited love is an example of one of humanities great miseries. "Love" can be stiffling and controlling and harmful. While "Hatred" can motivate people to enact great good and positivity in the world. While "jealously" can motivate a person to extremes of self improvement and self betterment.

It is a nonsense to me that any emotion is cast as positive or negative therefore. Rather the effect IN CONTEXT of any given emotion on a person, and the well being and actions it leads to internally and externally, are the only things that can be evaluated coherently.
    Well since the people are talking of a car crash some time ago and all the physical evidence has long since disappeared, you're out of luck in that department. What Dawkins does is focus on this disparity of view to deny there ever was a car crash. Whereas disparity of view is to be expected in the event of a car crash.

Hardly me that is out of luck given nothing about my world view is couched in evidence I simply do not have. It appears to be your problem not mine therefore. Sorry you are out of luck in that department. The evidence you MOST require to back up your claims on this forum seems consistently from thread to thread to be the evidence you are LEAST likely to actually have.

Above however you once again tell me/us what "Dawkins does" and once again I simply do not know if he does or not. I just know for very justifiable reasons that I do not believe YOU claiming he does this. So once again I have to ask you to cite what you are actually talking about here so I can evaluate for myself what Dawkins actually said or did.

I do not do so any more with any expectation you are actually capable or willing to acquiesce to the request. I do it solely because I believe it to be the right thing to do regardless.
    The concept and definition of God depends on many things but one of them most certainly, is an understanding of what is being said and what is not being said. There is no possible way a cut n' paste of particular morsels is going to in anyway arrive an accurate picture of what is being said: whether reading the Bible or understanding a scientific theory. You have to follow the whole thing, start to finish and then you can at least appreciate and evaluate for yourself.

All of this is just hand waving justification for you dodging what is being asked of you. If YOU think there is a god and wish to discuss that (if, no one is saying you have to, just saying you never have/could before) then it is on you to define what YOU think you are talking about and what YOUR evidence for it's existence is. The approach of simply declaring it to be so by assertion and fiat and then taking an "anti sceptic" view of people who do not show willingness to simply swallow whatever pill you are selling..... is not going to cut it.

So you can either make elongated excuses for not engaging or defending your world view, or simply be honest about your refusal to do so rather than making hand wavey cop out excuses for your failure.

I can help you if you like. I can use MY definitions as a starting point for you to jump off to your own. I can do this by means of two very simple questions:

1) Do you think the explanation for our universe and our existence within it is due to the decisions and actions of a non-human intentional and intelligent agent?
    2) If yes then have you any arguments, evidence, data or reasoning to offer that in fact lends credence to the idea that the explanation for our universe and our existence within it is due to the decisions and actions of a non-human intentional and intelligent agent?

Note you used the word "proof" in your last post. I do not. I stopped using that word in the context of this conversation for very long and contrived and deeply thought out reasons a LONG time ago. I simply matured and grew out of screaming "proof" at theists.
    That mindset is then projected into a view that all reality can be approached in this way.

Again I do not think you represent the thinking of others accurately or fairly or honestly here. It is not that we think that "all reality can be approached this way" so much as we have ZERO reason to A) think all reality can not be approached in the way we so far have, and therefore we will continue to do so until it proves problematic and B) we have thus far seen no reason to think that the approach of simply making crap up on the spot has provided a shred of utility to anything or anyone.

No one, least of all actual scientists, appear to be acting like the scientific method is completely perfect in all ways. The simple fact is however it has proved the most useful, if not the only, methodology we have thus far of discerning the truth about our reality and so long as it is the only game in town.......... save for the aforementined approach of simply making fantasies up and acting like they are true and then piling derision on anyone being sceptical as a practice.......... it remains all we have to work with.

Amazon Look Inside page 14 is a reference you can look up if you like.

Mod: @Antiskeptic, for the avoidance of doubt, where you make a claim that Dawkins or any other source has said one thing or another, can you please back it up with a valid reference, e.g a verbatim quote from a named book or linked article, a twitter link or a linked youtube with time reference. Telling people to go look it up themselves falls below the standards expected in this forum. Thanks for your attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

P.14. He explains why he doesn't opt to read what scriptures say in order to understand the whole. But if you don't understand what the overall is, and merely cherrypick the bits that add to the view you want to promulgate, you can't be but strawmanning.

Are you even aware of the irony?

Advertisement