Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

• 16-06-2020 2:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Old thread has reached 10k posts...

Here's part 2 ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

It must be a sign that a BMW driver is the first poster in the MK7 and MK8 thread;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

hooch-85 wrote: »
    It must be a sign that a BMW driver is the first poster in the MK7 and MK8 thread;)

Lol he’ll be back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Cupra owners excluded again?! :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Aaaah...love that ‘new thread’ smell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

I’ve no Golf for over w year now, this thread is like remembering an old flame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭noelf

Volkswizard 42 minute mark 8 review ..
    https://youtu.be/fYcMJUfIf-g

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Not golf related but figured this thread might be where the knowledge on the issue may be. We have a ****cough cough seat cough Alhambra ahem cough cough***" in the house. Great at what it does in fairness. Anyway, the head unit lately has had a mind of its own. It used to think we were touching it, and today it's completely unresponsive with the only thing working on it being the volume control and on/off button. The car is a 162 and has android auto/car play support so might be a mib2 unit but not sure. Anyway, car is in for service next week and they said they'd take a look but reminded me car is out of warranty...

Any idea how good Seat are with good will? Car is an import from main seat dealer and has full main dealer history, even though on 30k miles on it.

Any other things I could try for a diy fix? IV reset it a number of times and that used to temp fix it but no go at all today.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Hi folks new to the GTI search and stumbled upon this, which to me seems very good value with very low mileage. The only dodgy thing I can spot simply from the photographs is that the "I" from GTI is missing from the drivers door wing. Anyone have any thoughts on it or any dealings with the garage?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2016-vw-golf-gti/25086657

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Not golf related but figured this thread might be where the knowledge on the issue may be. We have a ****cough cough seat cough Alhambra ahem cough cough***" in the house. Great at what it does in fairness. Anyway, the head unit lately has had a mind of its own. It used to think we were touching it, and today it's completely unresponsive with the only thing working on it being the volume control and on/off button. The car is a 162 and has android auto/car play support so might be a mib2 unit but not sure. Anyway, car is in for service next week and they said they'd take a look but reminded me car is out of warranty...

Any idea how good Seat are with good will? Car is an import from main seat dealer and has full main dealer history, even though on 30k miles on it.

Any other things I could try for a diy fix? IV reset it a number of times and that used to temp fix it but no go at all today.

Cheers

It's a popular-ish issue. There is a software update for it in most cases. Rebooting the unit etc wont help.

Zero percent chance of Seat covering it but if you are going back to the dealer you bought it from, they might.

Shouldn't be expensive even if you had to cover it, an hours labour max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Hi folks new to the GTI search and stumbled upon this, which to me seems very good value with very low mileage. The only dodgy thing I can spot simply from the photographs is that the "I" from GTI is missing from the drivers door wing. Anyone have any thoughts on it or any dealings with the garage?

18k for a low mileage 2016 seems suspiciously cheap to me. Might be worth doing a UK history check

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Looks like a really high spec clean Mk7.5 only real extra it’s missing is the pan roof but has leather, keyless along with PP and tech pack, upgraded alloys and discovery pro radio.

I know it’s a late 172 but does seem like very strong money for a private sale.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-golf-gti-mk-7-5-performance-245/25096338

CIP4 wrote: »
    Looks like a really high spec clean Mk7.5 only real extra it’s missing is the pan roof but has leather, keyless along with PP and tech pack, upgraded alloys and discovery pro radio.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-golf-gti-mk-7-5-performance-245/25096338

It has Dynaudio too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Took the plunge today and purchased a Cupra! Bit of a step up from the FR that I had. Wasn’t sure about it in black at first but it does look very sleek I think. I’ll be a nervous wreck for a while especially with the alloys and scuffing them. But looking forward to breaking her in over the summer!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

That’s lovely, well wear!

Is it AWD? DSG or manual?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That's a lovely looking car, that design has really aged well. Was that the one McCoy's were selling? I'll admit I've bit of a want for one of those, they seem draw a lot less of the wrong type of attention over a Golf R.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    That’s lovely, well wear!

Is it AWD? DSG or manual?
    The 4 drive model is estate only.

Very nice car OP, well wear. Looks the the demo McCoy's had alright.

Thanks guys! Yep got it from McCoys- had been looking at the demos for ages so finally bit the bullet. Never had a DSG before so I’ll have to see which I prefer.

Thanks guys! Yep got it from McCoys- had been looking at the demos for ages so finally bit the bullet. Never had a DSG before so I’ll have to see which I prefer.

High Five, black Cupra twin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Took the plunge today and purchased a Cupra! Bit of a step up from the FR that I had. Wasn’t sure about it in black at first but it does look very sleek I think. I’ll be a nervous wreck for a while especially with the alloys and scuffing them. But looking forward to breaking her in over the summer!!

Congratulations, it's a super motor. Must say the Cupra has quietly grown on me over time. Looks great in black and those alloys really suit it. Safe motoring and enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

That didn't take long! I said it before, I'm not a fan of black but the Cupra looks savage in it. Really suits with the bronze accents. They're a lovely looking car in person.

Regarding scuffing the alloys, if the Continentals on the car don't have rim protection, the Pilot Sport 4 does. Something to keep in mind when you've burned through the first set :D

• Advertisement

CIP4 wrote: »

Tell him he’s dreaming!

That’s a cracking looking car, looks great in black. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Lovely bus, nice spec too. Really like the copper accents on them too. Enjoy it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭td2008

Congrats, beautiful car, love the wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭garycoyle1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭shanec1928

garycoyle1 wrote: »
    get some better pictures, ditch the screen shots and you have no mention of a service history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

garycoyle1 wrote: »

Better pictures and list all the extras. No mention of service history in the ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What’s your thoughts on the Mk8? Price is way over the top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

For anyone who finds the clutch travel too long on their manual GTI, I fitted this adjustable clutch stop yesterday and am very happy with the difference it makes.

As I no longer need as much leg travel when changing gears, it has enabled me to change my driving position to be a little more stretched out and less upright, which I prefer. The clutch action feels more precise now too as it stops that bit sooner. Definitely recommend it if like me, you feel there's too much dead space between the pedal and the floor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭theintern

maddness wrote: »
    Tell him he’s dreaming!
    That would be strong money from a dealer with a warranty. Looks like someone is trying to get their money back from all those lovely option boxes they ticked. It does look lovely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭theintern

There's one thing that mildly annoys me about the MK7.

The buttons around the gear stick are so clearly designed for LHD cars.

The more frequently used ones are over on the left, for easier access for LHD users, and we then have to reach around the gear stick to change drive mode.

Also I don't think I've ever ever seen a car that didn't have at least one blank switch on the right hand side, whereas most of the time, the left hand buttons are all filled in. Blank switches never look good. I think the blanks are for a TPMS reset button and the auto park feature?

Such a minor minor niggle, but something you do notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Car was written off as a Cat N in the UK in October 2018.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    That didn't take long! I said it before, I'm not a fan of black but the Cupra looks savage in it. Really suits with the bronze accents. They're a lovely looking car in person.

Regarding scuffing the alloys, if the Continentals on the car don't have rim protection, the Pilot Sport 4 does. Something to keep in mind when you've burned through the first set :D

Nice one thanks for that! A crowd down here in Cork do 'rim savers'. Like a bit of plastic that goes around the rim of the alloy. Are these any good I wonder, has anyone any experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

If it's polished right up to the edge you might get the kind of damage you're trying to avoid just having them over it.

Nice one thanks for that! A crowd down here in Cork do 'rim savers'. Like a bit of plastic that goes around the rim of the alloy. Are these any good I wonder, has anyone any experience?

There looks to be fairly decent rim protection on the Continentals already, no? I haven’t marked mine yet anyway...

516891.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭TheBetsy

Hi guys, new to the thread here. Just wondering if I could get yere opinion on something. Have decided on getting a GTD and narrowed the options down to 2, but ones a mk7 and the other a mk7.5. The mk7 has some extras I like eg Dynaudio, DSG and the sport and sound pack. I know the 7.5 it has the updated bumpers, lights dash and infotainment system but is there anything else ye think I should take in account?

Thanks a mill

MK7
    ww.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202003148421597?fromSavedAds=true&advertising-location=at_cars

Mk 7.5
    ww.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202001176295696?fromSavedAds=true&advertising-location=at_cars

According to the free MOT checker website - www.check-mot.service.gov.uk the mileage on the white one wasn't readable at the time of the MOT. That would make me very wary.

I prefer the blue one over the white but it being a manual would rule it out for me but that's a personal choice.

My 2c. If your not doing big mileage buy a GTi or an R instead. GTDs are grand but you'll always want the proper performance mk7. They are not massively more expensive to run and will hold their value much better in the long run

I’ll never get used to people driving up my arse taking pictures of the Cupra. It’s not special like!

I’ll never get used to people driving up my arse taking pictures of the Cupra. It’s not special like!

It’s a lot more special than most hot hatches as there are so few of them on the road. Enjoy the attention I suppose!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Nice...

4-DC710-D6-6-EDE-4-AA4-8590-56-E8-F95-A76-AF.jpg
    0-D0-CA85-F-B3-F5-4-CC7-AF6-A-7777-DAAE1-BFA.jpg
    5633-CB60-6-A71-49-B5-8127-AE1-E7-C88-C909.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm starting to like it now.

bazz26 wrote: »

Has to be the nicest R currently for sale in the country.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Has to be the nicest R currently for sale in the country.

Not in that colour though, it’s awful.

maddness wrote: »
    Not in that colour though, it’s awful.

Nicest colour for me :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭carsfan2

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Nice...

4-DC710-D6-6-EDE-4-AA4-8590-56-E8-F95-A76-AF.jpg
    0-D0-CA85-F-B3-F5-4-CC7-AF6-A-7777-DAAE1-BFA.jpg
    5633-CB60-6-A71-49-B5-8127-AE1-E7-C88-C909.jpg

Those alloys make a huge difference to the overall look of the car.

This new thread reminded me that I started the previous one when trying to make my mind up between GTD and GTI.
    Over five years ago since I picked up GTI PP.
    I have wasted a fair bit more money on cars since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

^^^ I saw the shots of the Mk8 with the woeful alloys, but thought the car looked sharp otherwise. With those wheels it looks fantastic imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

bazz26 wrote: »

It's class colour/wheel/spec etc but the price is so high on these now. Think I paid less for a brand new 5 door dsg with prets in 2015. Fair enough that has more kit on it, but an awful lot of money for essentially the same car. Maybe it's all relative and I'm just poor now and couldn't swallow that cost anymore. :(

vintagevrs wrote: »
    It's class colour/wheel/spec etc but the price is so high on these now. Think I paid less for a brand new 5 door dsg with prets in 2015. Fair enough that has more kit on it, but an awful lot of money for essentially the same car. Maybe it's all relative and I'm just poor now and couldn't swallow that cost anymore. :(

Car prices have shot up across the board the last few years though. An entry level Golf is getting close to 30k these days so 45k for a 1 year old high spec R with only 6k miles on the clock isn't outrageous imo especially when 2018 models are still asking north of 35k.

• Advertisement
Advertisement