Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Seat Mega Thread! Please post all your car seat questions here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

jlm29 wrote: »
    My cabriofix is nearly ready for retirement, so if you need a head hugger or wedge let me know, I’ll be taking them out soon, and won’t need again!

Yes that is exactly what I will need if I can’t find them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Millem wrote: »
    Yes that is exactly what I will need if I can’t find them!!

Well my seat is nearly 9 yrs old, so I won’t be passing it on to anyone after I finish with it, so you’re welcome to them! I still have them in for the moment, but baby is 8 mo old, so they won’t be in there much longer!

Where can these be bought at the moment!? Mothercare, Smyths etc closed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Where can these be bought at the moment!? Mothercare, Smyths etc closed

Do you mean in-store? Both are still online. I don’t think there would be any store open.

If you need advice Tony Kealys are available by phone, chat etc and can purchase online then.

I think rearfacing.ie are still doing their car seat trial option as well if you want to try before you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

Has anybody Ud a look at the new maxi cosi coral? Looks really light for carrying and then you pop it back into the shell for travelling. Just thought might be handy for school pick ups in the early days before sling?? What do people think?

• Advertisement

Lizardlegz wrote: »
    Has anybody Ud a look at the new maxi cosi coral? Looks really light for carrying and then you pop it back into the shell for travelling. Just thought might be handy for school pick ups in the early days before sling?? What do people think?

I just googled it there, Its I-size, and very expensive! I’m sure it’s grand, but it looks like a bit of a money spinner. Because it’s I-size it won’t last as long as a cabriofix (anyone would think I’m selling cabriofix’s, this is the second time today I’ve been on here plugging them :) ). I bought a really light buggy that takes the cabriofix for baby number four, and found it a God send for school runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 _nobody_

Sent here from the pregnant thread.

Went car seat shopping last week and they tried to steer us towards the Cybex Cloud Z seat and base. It's quite expensive, but works with travel system, rotates sideways (full rotation on next seat), lies flat and the base lasts for the next seat.

The drawback is price and weight, slightly heavier than the maxicosi.

Does anyone have any experience with these?

Don’t underestimate the weight. My first boy was approx 4kg at birth add that to the weight of a car seat and imagine lugging that around. Usually those baby seats go up to 13kg...,,add that to the car seat seat and see how you manage.

I was going to buy the be safe sleep one for second child. Tried lifting it in the shop and ending up buying the maxi cosi cabriofix.

I found attaching car seats a faff anyway tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Can anyone advise please?

I’m using the be safe izi go infant car seat with a newborn. I attached with the seat belt and it felt super secure however baby’s head lopped forward. So then I tried adjusting the seat to tilt it back more but it just doesn’t seem to be as secure. Is there something I’m missing? Would the iso fix base give a better fit?

I just googled it there, Its I-size, and very expensive! I’m sure it’s grand, but it looks like a bit of a money spinner. Because it’s I-size it won’t last as long as a cabriofix (anyone would think I’m selling cabriofix’s, this is the second time today I’ve been on here plugging them :) ). I bought a really light buggy that takes the cabriofix for baby number four, and found it a God send for school runs.

Lol ah sure look I’ve always had the cabriofix and found them great! But I got a pebble this time around and it’s isize. I think the corals are around €220 in the sale. I just remember those awful days of popping into the school or shop for a quick pick up and having to drag the maxi cosi with me with baby... I just found them really heavy with baby in them. Just thought the coral looked really easy for this sort of thing!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

kandr10 wrote: »
    Can anyone advise please?

I’m using the be safe izi go infant car seat with a newborn. I attached with the seat belt and it felt super secure however baby’s head lopped forward. So then I tried adjusting the seat to tilt it back more but it just doesn’t seem to be as secure. Is there something I’m missing? Would the iso fix base give a better fit?

Isofix usually have a worse recline than seat belt installs. It’s usually not recommended to use the isofix until after 6 weeks. What car is it in? Some cars have very sloped seats.

Some things to check, the straps are at the right level (should be level or below baby’s shoulders). You are using all the correct inserts.

There is a great Facebook group (below) if you post pics they can give more specific advice.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/456353881062172/?ref=share

Lol ah sure look I’ve always had the cabriofix and found them great! But I got a pebble this time around and it’s isize. I think the corals are around €220 in the sale. I just remember those awful days of popping into the school or shop for a quick pick up and having to drag the maxi cosi with me with baby... I just found them really heavy with baby in them. Just thought the coral looked really easy for this sort of thing!!

Gosh I think just lugging around a car seat is too much hassle from car to school? It would still be at least half a big bag of dog food in weight with baby in it?
    We live beside our school so just walk as there is no point driving! Or do you mean sticking it onto buggy? We have to collect at the classroom....they come out one by one.
    The classroom is a good bit in as well.

Gosh I think just lugging around a car seat is too much hassle from car to school? It would still be at least half a big bag of dog food in weight with baby in it?
    We live beside our school so just walk as there is no point driving! Or do you mean sticking it onto buggy? We have to collect at the classroom....they come out one by one.
    The classroom is a good bit in as well.

I have to drive due to other pick ups aswell :-(. So I park in the Carpark. But thered be no point the hassle of bringing buggy And setting that up to put car seat on if you know what I mean? But then lugging the carseat in without buggy it’s soo heavy! Even bring the carseat into the shops etc carrying it by hand I always found my arms would be falling off!! Lol lol lol. I must check the weight of coral when it’s out of the shell.

Just checked: it’s 1.7kg when out of the shell.

I have to drive due to other pick ups aswell :-(. So I park in the Carpark. But thered be no point the hassle of bringing buggy And setting that up to put car seat on if you know what I mean? But then lugging the carseat in without buggy it’s soo heavy! Even bring the carseat into the shops etc carrying it by hand I always found my arms would be falling off!! Lol lol lol. I must check the weight of coral when it’s out of the shell.

Just checked: it’s 1.7kg when out of the shell.

Add 1.7kg plus baby!!! Still half a big bag of dog food!!! Do you just put car seat on the ground or do you hold the seat?

Add 1.7kg plus baby!!! Still half a big bag of dog food!!! Do you just put car seat on the ground or do you hold the seat?

I put it on the ground while I’m waiting but could be walking with it for a minutes. The coral is 2kg less than the cabriofix which is 3.6kg without baby so a good difference! The pebble I bought I think is 4kg. I will use a sling for pick ups after the first month or so....

I put it on the ground while I’m waiting but could be walking with it for a minutes. The coral is 2kg less than the cabriofix which is 3.6kg without baby so a good difference! The pebble I bought I think is 4kg. I will use a sling for pick ups after the first month or so....

Don’t underestimate lugging about 6+kg!
    I wouldn’t be using any car seat tbh...too much hassle. But my son’s class is a good bit in and always like to be 5 mins early! In general I see babies screaming their heads off tbh waiting and mum/dad generally pushing them to settle them.

Will your OH be working from home?
    Mine will so I will get him to watch baby while I nip out if needs be ;)

Don’t underestimate lugging about 6+kg!
    I wouldn’t be using any car seat tbh...too much hassle. But my son’s class is a good bit in and always like to be 5 mins early! In general I see babies screaming their heads off tbh waiting and mum/dad generally pushing them to settle them.

Will your OH be working from home?
    Mine will so I will get him to watch baby while I nip out if needs be ;)

Lol I know sure this is my 4th baby and it’s the Bain of my life lugging them about in the carseat! I try to do it as little as possible. Nope himself has his own office so won’t be home to help.

Lol I know sure this is my 4th baby and it’s the Bain of my life lugging them about in the carseat! I try to do it as little as possible. Nope himself has his own office so won’t be home to help.

Sure buy it if you think it makes your life easier.

Sure buy it if you think it makes your life easier.

I’ve no idea... just wondering if anyone had any experience of them. I just find carrying car seats so heavy in general with baby in them... even just into the shop to get bread etc...

I’ve no idea... just wondering if anyone had any experience of them. I just find carrying car seats so heavy in general with baby in them... even just into the shop to get bread etc...

I never carry the car seat, you’re right, it’s too heavy! I find the sling a bit of a faff just for pick ups too! It’s a logistical nightmare once you have a baby while the others are in school.

• Advertisement

I never carry the car seat, you’re right, it’s too heavy! I find the sling a bit of a faff just for pick ups too! It’s a logistical nightmare once you have a baby while the others are in school.

Absolutely! I don’t mind the sling when babies a bit older... it’s handier than setting the whole pram up. What do you do if you have go into the shop or somewhere and don’t want to leave baby in car? Do u just set the pram up?

Absolutely! I don’t mind the sling when babies a bit older... it’s handier than setting the whole pram up. What do you do if you have go into the shop or somewhere and don’t want to leave baby in car? Do u just set the pram up?

I ended up buying a baby jogger city mini

I ended up buying a baby jogger city mini

O yes I’ve the out and about which is similar...

O yes I’ve the out and about which is similar...

Would you not just use that? Way handier imho presume it lies flat?
    I just bought the footmuff and lay it flat

I bought an uppababy minu for baby no 4. Can open and close with one hand, it’s super light and folds up tiny. I’d have it out of the boot and the car seat on it while I’d be Getting the sling on. I also needed a single buggy that could fit either baby or my 2 yr old because he wouldn’t fit in the travel system buggy. And when I had baby no. 4 my boot shrank a bit so I needed something compact. It was a great buy!

Would you not just use that? Way handier imho presume it lies flat?
    I just bought the footmuff and lay it flat

Ah yea I spose I could. I just hate faffing and getting a buggy out for the sack of walking like 1-2 minutes...

Ah yea I spose I could. I just hate faffing and getting a buggy out for the sack of walking like 1-2 minutes...

I hear you but if you are waiting 5 mins!!!
    Will your OH get paternity leave or whatever it’s called? That might help you for a few weeks? Plus parent’s leave

I hear you but if you are waiting 5 mins!!!
    Will your OH get paternity leave or whatever it’s called? That might help you for a few weeks? Plus parent’s leave

Yep he usually takes 2 weeks. What’s parents leave? Is that a new thing? I doubt he’d take any more than 2 weeks tho... unfortunately for me he’s a workaholic... think it’s been 8 years since he took 1 sick day and that was for surgery! Lol. Anyway sorry for dragging car seat thread off topic!

Yep he usually takes 2 weeks. What’s parents leave? Is that a new thing? I doubt he’d take any more than 2 weeks tho... unfortunately for me he’s a workaholic... think it’s been 8 years since he took 1 sick day and that was for surgery! Lol. Anyway sorry for dragging car seat thread off topic!

Yes the new one where we get 2 weeks to be taken before the baby’s first birthday. You take in 7 day blocks.

• Advertisement

Yes the new one where we get 2 weeks to be taken before the baby’s first birthday. You take in 7 day blocks.

This sounds great! I’ll check it out! But I doubt he’ll take it. FML

Advertisement