Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,947 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Wellpark just can't catch a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Penny's have a sign on the door that they are reopening on Monday

Penny's have a sign on the door that they are reopening on Monday

Eyre Square, Headford road or both?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

For those who remember the story about Leona Paula Leoncio who was battling for her life a few weeks back some good news. Four front line UHG workers, including Leona, have made a full recovery!

https://connachttribune.ie/frontline-four-make-full-covid-recovery-118/?fbclid=IwAR2lgGZUkdcfc2nd_OquhhQoaauYOByBfXr7FHFMH-_2evHBEO-DoeijSck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

flazio wrote: »
    Eyre Square, Headford road or both?

Sorry eyre square centre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

For those who remember the story about Leona Paula Leoncio who was battling for her life a few weeks back some good news. Four front line UHG workers, including Leona, have made a full recovery!

https://connachttribune.ie/frontline-four-make-full-covid-recovery-118/?fbclid=IwAR2lgGZUkdcfc2nd_OquhhQoaauYOByBfXr7FHFMH-_2evHBEO-DoeijSck

This is brilliant news.

The article says that 4 heath workers became ill from contact with one patient who had a false negative Covid test.
    Just goes to show how fast it can spread.

This other article is less inspiring unfortunately. There are currently 7 in hospital with diagnosed Covid and 11 hospitalised with suspected Covid in UCHG.
    That's quite a lot. Generally around 20% of cases tend to need hospitalisation which makes recent figures regarding numbers in Galway seem a bit conservative. Given suspected cases are generally people who've presented with issues in the last 48 hrs or so, those 11 would suggest that there might be at least 40 symptomatic cases in the community? And we don't know regarding asymptomatic cases.
    That's not including the 7 diagnosed cases as some of those might be in hospital for several weeks, though it's possible they're recent cases too.

Galway Bay fm newsroom – 7 patients are currently being treated for Covid-19 at University Hospital Galway, down from the figure of 10 on Monday, according to the latest HSE figures.

11 more patients are awaiting test results of suspected cases of the virus at UHG, while one patient in Portiuncula Hospital Ballinasloe is waiting for test results.

One patient is being treated for Coronavirus at the critcal care unit at UHG – while another ICU patient is awaiting the results of a Covid-19 test.

There are two vacant general beds at Portiuncula hospital and 18 at UHG, while there are three vacant ICU bed in Portiuncula, five in the Galway Clinic and 8 at UHG.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

In the businesses opening and closing vein of things...

Dunnes Eyre Square is going to repurpose itself as a cafe and take away
    I suppose it could be useful to have a very large cafe that can cater to distancing needs although we really do need some more shops at this stage.

https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/plans-to-convert-prominent-eyre-square-store-into-cafe/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,804 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In the businesses opening and closing vein of things...

Dunnes Eyre Square is going to repurpose itself as a cafe and take away
    I suppose it could be useful to have a very large cafe that can cater to distancing needs although we really do need some more shops at this stage.

https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/plans-to-convert-prominent-eyre-square-store-into-cafe/

In fairness it's only the small Dunnes beside the Advertiser that this concerns. The other two Dunnes outlets in the area are unaffected.

There is plenty of empty retail space for clothing stores, should they wish to open here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

In fairness it's only the small Dunnes beside the Advertiser that this concerns. The other two Dunnes outlets in the area are unaffected.

If you look up 40 Eyre Square on Google Maps it's clearly the largest Dunnes across the way not the small corner-spot that was the off-license. 40 Eyre Square is a multi-level superfluous Dunnes given it duplicates the Dunnes in the shopping centre.

Is there any proof as to which one they're talking about? In regards to social distancing the larger space made sense as you could really spread out indoor service across the 2 floors in a first of it's kind post coovid restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Redo91

If you look up 40 Eyre Square on Google Maps it's clearly the largest Dunnes across the way not the small corner-spot that was the off-license. 40 Eyre Square is a multi-level superfluous Dunnes given it duplicates the Dunnes in the shopping centre.

Is there any proof as to which one they're talking about? In regards to social distancing the larger space made sense as you could really spread out indoor service across the 2 floors in a first of it's kind post coovid restaurant.

Saw another article saying it was the Paul Costello store so that’s the former off-licence and not the larger store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,804 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is there any proof as to which one they're talking about?

The real proof will be in the planning application. I just had a look at the council site, and it's not loaded there yet. I guess COVID related delays in document handling.

That would be an ideal spot for a large terrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

Lidl have been granted permission for a new store in the Arch motors site in Westside - 100% will be appealed by RGDATA (aka Supervalue) so won't get too excited just yet.. https://geo.galwaycity.ie/ePlan5/AppFileRefDetails/19333/0
    Any movement on their new store in Wellpark?

Supervalu don't have any stores in Galway so why should they care?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Supervalu do have shops in Galway, none in the city though.

We're getting away from Corona news which is the purpose of this thread, along with shops closing only temporary for the virus.
    New enterprises/shops can be discussed in the regular thread (not covid related)

Jammyd wrote: »
    Lidl have been granted permission for a new store in the Arch motors site in Westside - 100% will be appealed by RGDATA (aka Supervalue) so won't get too excited just yet.. https://geo.galwaycity.ie/ePlan5/AppFileRefDetails/19333/0

RGDATA aka Joyces.

No supervaule in the city (and it badly needs one) so why would they care?

RGDATA aka Joyces.

No supervaule in the city (and it badly needs one) so why would they care?

RDATA lobby for Supervalu

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I was surprised to read that (no Supervalu in the city), I had it in my head that they’re everywhere! They definitely used to be in town but Joyce’s bought them up?

Pat Joyce will definitely object anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Supervalu don't have any stores in Galway so why should they care?

Apart from Lackagh, Barna, Moycullen, LoughRea, Tuam, Portuma, Glenamaddy, Gort and ClareGalway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭1641

RDATA lobby for Supervalu

"In its appeal, RGDATA said the development would undermine the primacy of the city centre, and would allow that part of Knocknacarra/Rahoon to function almost exclusively as a retail destination.

It notes that in addition to the adjacent Dunnes and Aldi, Supervalu in Barna is 4.2km away; Joyce’s Supermarket 900 metres away [RGDATA represents Supervalu’s parent Musgraves and Joyce’s];"

https://connachttribune.ie/rgdata-appeal-lidl-planning-permission-for-knocknacarra-211/

• Advertisement

Apart from Lackagh, Barna, Moycullen, LoughRea, Tuam, Portuma, Glenamaddy, Gort and ClareGalway

Thank you for listing out all the county stores in the city forum, but as Biko said, we've deviated way off course.

Thank you for listing out all the county stores in the city forum, but as Biko said, we've deviated way off course.

Deviated off course but answered your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,449 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I passed through the other weekend and it looks like there is work being done on the PetMania side. Wasn't there talk that there was a lift going in there, to facilitate easier entry through the car park?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭Bredabe

1641 wrote: »
    "In its appeal, RGDATA said the development would undermine the primacy of the city centre, and would allow that part of Knocknacarra/Rahoon to function almost exclusively as a retail destination.

It notes that in addition to the adjacent Dunnes and Aldi, Supervalu in Barna is 4.2km away; Joyce’s Supermarket 900 metres away [RGDATA represents Supervalu’s parent Musgraves and Joyce’s];"

https://connachttribune.ie/rgdata-appeal-lidl-planning-permission-for-knocknacarra-211/

Plenty of town and cities in the country have a similar mix and get on fine. I dont bel that ppl in the westside area would drive to barna to shop for much except speciality items(which would be available in town for the most part anyway)

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭1641

Bredabe wrote: »
    Plenty of town and cities in the country have a similar mix and get on fine. I dont bel that ppl in the westside area would drive to barna to shop for much except speciality items(which would be available in town for the most part anyway)

I don't either. So I doubt that is where any objection will come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Bredabe wrote: »

I drive from the Westside end Kingston to Supervalu Barna regularly. Much easier to get there with less traffic and more parking than Barna or town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭Bredabe

?Cee?view wrote: »
    I drive from the Westside end Kingston to Supervalu Barna regularly. Much easier to get there with less traffic and more parking than Barna or town.

I can see how some ppl do that, but I dont think its so many that would impact on lidl(as they have such different markets)

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Anyone noticing tourists around or is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

I see the Universal are reopening on 1 July and the Bierhaus on 3 July, with prebooking of tables etc. Bierhaus is my Galway local so I'm happy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Anyone noticing tourists around or is it just me?

I live near one of the student accomodation/holiday apartment places. Cars turned up as soon as the county wide travel was allowed. Had been empty since paddy's weekend. So defintley some tourists about

Advertisement