Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I read in the paper today that making masks mandatory on public transport is very much on the cards now.

It should be but also masks need to be easily available & at reasonable prices. Plus there needs to be campaign on how to use them.

One argument I heard is that they are concerned that masks will make people feel that they aren't at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Stewball

I read in the paper today that making masks mandatory on public transport is very much on the cards now.

It should be made mandatory in shops too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, UK is bringing it in 15 June so we should follow suit.

Of course Czech Republic have had mandatory masks outdoors for weeks..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,698 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

biko wrote: »
    Yeah, UK is bringing it in 15 June so we should follow suit.

Of course Czech Republic have had mandatory masks outdoors for weeks..

But we don't have widespread community transmission any more. Or a lot of air pollution which is the real reason mssks are commonly used.

That means that the risks of masks likely outweigh the benefits for us, right now.

FWIW I have a stash of masks in my purse. I will put one on if I have to be somewhere that social distancing isn't possible. That hasn't happened yet. It may do on the bus to work tomorrow morning.

We also have an issue with the lack of bio-hazard waste disposal facilities, And with people believing that just chucking home made cloth masks in with a regular wash is OK - it ain't unless you always use a 60-degree cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Discodog wrote: »
    It should be but also masks need to be easily available & at reasonable prices. Plus there needs to be campaign on how to use them.

One argument I heard is that they are concerned that masks will make people feel that they aren't at risk.

The masks message is difficult for any government when there is a shortage. (Aer Lingus to China etc.)

They have to sell the notion that masks keep hospital workers safe, but at the same time they don't keep the public safe !

And can you imagine anyone trying to make the argument that safety belts should be removed from cars, because 'they will make people feel they aren't at risk' and therefore might cause deaths by speeding ?

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

5 days of no new cases in Galway to midnight Friday. A great achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

The masks message is difficult for any government when there is a shortage. (Aer Lingus to China etc.)

They have to sell the notion that masks keep hospital workers safe, but at the same time they don't keep the public safe !

And can you imagine anyone trying to make the argument that safety belts should be removed from cars, because 'they will make people feel they aren't at risk' and therefore might cause deaths by speeding ?

:rolleyes:

The most convincing argument I heard against them was that people don't know how to put them on. They don't put them on right, they are constantly fidgeting with them which puts their hands up to their mouth and nose but my personal feeling is that what you are saying is closer to the truth on why there hasn't been a push here yet. Keeping stock for the key healthcare workers.

Still, at this point why not encourage people to make their own.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

We also have an issue with the lack of bio-hazard waste disposal facilities, And with people believing that just chucking home made cloth masks in with a regular wash is OK - it ain't unless you always use a 60-degree cycle.

We seriously need fact checking on this forum to debunk nonsense like this. Handwashing with soap for 30 seconds is enough to kill the virus but a 40 degree wash in laundry detergent for an hour or two isn't safe. FFS...

Zzippy wrote: »
    We seriously need fact checking on this forum to debunk nonsense like this. Handwashing with soap for 30 seconds is enough to kill the virus but a 40 degree wash in laundry detergent for an hour or two isn't safe. FFS...

It's not only about the virus.

A mask off of your face will be full of bacteria. This needs 60-degrees.

Ref: https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-8225325/Should-wash-clothes-60-degrees-help-beat-coronavirus.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Redo91

Spanish Arch still closed off as well as cones all along the Prom to stop people parking. I didn’t agree with it when the Spanish Arch was closed off for the June bank holiday but it’s beyond a joke now. The weather isn’t great and cases are so low what’s the reason for trying to stop people go out and about? Stupid stuff.

• Advertisement

Ref: https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-8225325/Should-wash-clothes-60-degrees-help-beat-coronavirus.html

There is no medical or scientific advice anywhere stating that you need to use a 60 degree wash against covid-19. That I could find anyway.

If you have a link to any such advice, by all means share it. Maybe we do need to do this though I'd find it very hard to believe.

But please, don't use a money saving advice site as justification.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

There is no medical or scientific advice anywhere stating that you need to use a 60 degree wash against covid-19. That I could find anyway.

If you have a link to any such advice, by all means share it. Maybe we do need to do this though I'd find it very hard to believe.

But please, don't use a money saving advice site as justification.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/face-masks-disposable-gloves.html

"How to wash one
    Wash daily in a hot wash over 60 degrees with detergent."

Which I did with the first few face masks we had bought and they shrank, although the seller had told me they can be washed at 60.
    The advice does seem contradictory though. And I won't be washing my clothes at 60 either since I'd shrink all of them.

BTW, I know lots of people that don't really think about washing the masks or how to handle them. They just take them off, fold them or crumple them up, stick them in their purse or bag or pocket where they keep all their other stuff and put them on again, rinse and repeat. No hand sanitizer used in between.

Redo91 wrote: »
    Spanish Arch still closed off as well as cones all along the Prom to stop people parking. I didn’t agree with it when the Spanish Arch was closed off for the June bank holiday but it’s beyond a joke now. The weather isn’t great and cases are so low what’s the reason for trying to stop people go out and about? Stupid stuff.

The Spanish Arch has turned into an 11 month building site.

Apparently it's more preferable to put up fences and that stupid orange cushion than it is to build up the wall another few feet.

What a wonderful way to treat one of the few tourist attractions. Make it look like a building site most of the year instead of finding a proper solution.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If you iron them there's no need, though. The temperature of the iron is higher.

Most clothes will fall apart at 60 degrees. I wash everything at 30 (as directed on most of them), its quicker and much kinder to fabrics.

Also the specific topic was corona and that is killed by the soap not the water temp.

A 30-degree wash is fine for clothes that need a general wash rather than targeted stain removal.
    However, underwear, towels and household linens should be washed at 60 degrees to prevent the spread of germs.

As suggested, iron the face masks instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭milout

Putting the cotton masks in a bowl of soapy water and washing up liquid for 20 mins, line drying in the sun and then going over with a hot iron whilst dry will kill off the virus.

It's also a lot kinder on the elastic.

biko wrote: »
    A 30-degree wash is fine for clothes that need a general wash rather than targeted stain removal.
    However, underwear, towels and household linens should be washed at 60 degrees to prevent the spread of germs.

As suggested, iron the face masks instead.

Everything always got washed at 30 at home growing up and I have already done the same myself and never had an issue so don't see any need to change. 15 mins quick wash, rinse and spin for everything all done in about 40 mins.

Everything always got washed at 30 at home growing up and I have already done the same myself and never had an issue so don't see any need to change. 15 mins quick wash, rinse and spin for everything all done in about 40 mins.

Yeah, and remind us how often the grill pan got a wash out ...

Some folks may as well be putting used underwear on their faces instead of masks.

Some folks may as well be putting used underwear on their faces instead of masks.

dd0.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

That would be very effective in ensuring social distancing!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Plus, Covid would DIIIIE rather than spending a split second on those. Not a good thing to read when it hasn't been long since you've had lunch.

Btw, NCT is reopening some places, incl Galway. More info here and here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Yeah, and remind us how often the grill pan got a wash out ...

Kinky

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Some masks do look like repurposed bra cups!

The immunologist Professor Luke O'Neil who has been heavily advocating for mandatory masks was on tv last week and said that a 60 degree wash, or a good sink wash with hot water and fairy liquid would do the trick.

He also said you could put your mask into the microwave for 90 seconds beside a half glass of water and that should also kill the germs.
    I'm not sure if that would be safe for all fabrics but it would be ok for cotton.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Some masks do look like repurposed bra cups!
    The immunologist Professor Luke O'Neil who has been heavily advocating for mandatory masks was on tv last week and said that a 60 degree wash, or a good sink wash with hot water and fairy liquid would do the trick.
    He also said you could put your mask into the microwave for 90 seconds beside a half glass of water and that should also kill the germs.
    I'm not sure if that would be safe for all fabrics but it would be ok for cotton.
    product placement!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

As long as there isn't a nose wire in the mask microwaving it should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,185 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Safe to assume that today is day 5 in a row with no Covid cases in Galway?

There is conflicting info, or I'm missing something
    https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/covid-19/coronavirus-4-more-deaths-no-galway-cases-for-6-days/
    June 8th?
    Coronavirus: 4 more deaths, no Galway cases for 6 days

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0606/1145845-ireland-coronavirus/
    Saturday, 6 Jun
    There were 19 confirmed cases of the coronavirus in Tallaght hospital last night and ten in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Help me settle an argument with the missus.
    You may travel within your own county, or up to 20 kilometres from your home if crossing county boundaries.

https://2kmfromhome.com/20km

Ballyvaughan: yes or no?

It's a 50k journey by road but within 20k as the crow flies

Advertisement