Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,313 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Today provincial preseason starts when the internationals are still away on their summer tours. Every player in Ireland gets three full weeks rest and will have a number of off weeks during the season. The internationals have a weeks holiday after the 6N for example(and possibly after the AIs too)

I don't really see any change other than preseason starting in November (now that's a nasty thought).

Yeah I just think there are going to be slightly longer seasons for the international’s on a regular basis that are closer to a lions schedule time wise. Now of course I’m being quite linear with competitions start in January and end in October, but may start a couple of weeks in and finish a week or two before Giving an extra few weeks but I think ultimately there is a need for x amount of weekends and the 6N is down for two months but only needs 5 weekends so is there matches to be played then or will there be off weekends which seems a waste if it prolongs the physical season.
    Devil will be in the details but I think it’s not going to be an easy sort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

The other problem (if it's a problem, I don't know) is that one of the objectives of this is that international and club fixtures will be separated. If you think about how many club fixtures currently happen during the November and Six Nations windows, I'm not sure how that will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

They’re going to need serious irrigation systems for the pitches. Rugby is not a summer sport, even by May the pitches are usually like concrete. Having played in a couple of tournaments held during the summer, I’d expect it would lead to a lot more shoulder injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

awec wrote: »
    If this reduces the amount of times clubs have to play without their test players then I'm all for it.

I reckon in Ireland anyway the players being available and the players actually playing will be two different things.

Anyway if I never have to go to Murrayfield, the coldest place on planet earth, in early Feb again then I am in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

stephen_n wrote: »
    They’re going to need serious irrigation systems for the pitches. Rugby is not a summer sport, even by May the pitches are usually like concrete. Having played in a couple of tournaments held during the summer, I’d expect it would lead to a lot more shoulder injuries.

I've seen this said a lot but is there going to be much difference between this and the T14 being played in June and August (which already happens), the three test matches Ireland played in August last year, the 7s circuit which is high speed and played on hard pitches all year round (obviously less contact but still considerable action on these surfaces) or the current games on artificial surfaces (Racing, Saracens, Glasgow, Cardiff etc.)?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Artificial surfaces are not rock hard and the Aviva has a modern irrigation and watering system.

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Where would Leinster play during July and August?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Artificial surfaces are not rock hard.

Having had the one next to LR as my home pitch for a couple of years I can assure you they take their toll over time. A game here or there on a 4G pitch is grand but when you train week in week out on one, then have every other game on one.. the injuries stack up.

I'm fairly certain I'd have had an extra couple of seasons had it been a grass pitch I was playing on, the surgeon who done my knee agrees.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Buer wrote: »
    So World Rugby are meeting today to discuss the global calendar. I'm cautiously optimistic as to the outcome.

From the reports, the potential line up of the season could look something like this:

January - April: Club rugby with the T14 potentially starting before Christmas due to the length of their season (similar to how their season goes longer and starts earlier as it stands)
    May - June: Six Nations/Rugby Championship
    July - August: Completion of domestic tournaments
    September - October: The summer and autumn internationals condensed into a single, prolonged window.
    November - December: Off season

This year there's 35 game weekends from the start of Jan til the end of August.

Currently there's 21 regular season Pro14 games, 3 play off games, 6 Euro pool games, and 3 knock out Euro games. So 33 weekends needed in total. That's going to be tight getting all those games played!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Christ February will be depressing.

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    This year there's 35 game weekends from the start of Jan til the end of August.

Currently there's 21 regular season Pro14 games, 3 play off games, 6 Euro pool games, and 3 knock out Euro games. So 33 weekends needed in total. That's going to be tight getting all those games played!

This is only what has been roughly suggested; no firm dates as of yet. It could well run into September or start before Christmas.

Maybe the club window will overlap with the test window as it does already in the northern hemisphere which buys back a couple of weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Podge_irl wrote: »

The NFL season will have just ended too. Yeah that's ****e.

Podge_irl wrote: »

Not as depressing as November.

The likes of Sky and BT would pay a fortune for a May / June Six Nations, at a time when they traditionally struggle for live content that appeals to the masses.

Where would Leinster play during July and August?

Well it’s touted as the end of the season so it would likely be mostly knock out rugby and playoffs at that stage, a bit of creative fixture listing say giving a couple of away trips in the normal season and use of the Aviva for playoffs or whatever could probably get round that. Not ideal but wouldn’t think it would be insurmountable.

salmocab wrote: »
    Well it’s touted as the end of the season so it would likely be mostly knock out rugby and playoffs at that stage, a bit of creative fixture listing say giving a couple of away trips in the normal season and use of the Aviva for playoffs or whatever could probably get round that. Not ideal but wouldn’t think it would be insurmountable.

Pretty sure it would be too expensive to use the Aviva cause I think it costs a clean fortune to open it for a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Pretty sure it would be too expensive to use the Aviva cause I think it costs a clean fortune to open it for a game.

Has it ever been reported what the fixed costs are for opening the lower tier only?

The likes of Sky and BT would pay a fortune for a May / June Six Nations, at a time when they traditionally struggle for live content that appeals to the masses.

If the 6N was moved to May/June then every second year the climax of the championship would clash with the Euros (Euro 2020 should have started last weekend) or the World Cup and it would clash with events like the FA Cup final and the Champions League final every season.

They need to be very careful when moving the tournament, because at the moment it doesn't clash with any other major tournament.

Think this was discussed here recently there used to be a rumour that Croke park needed something like 35k to make it worthwhile to open but the GAA came out and said it didn’t matter as only opening small parts kept the cost down. The ground is there to be used and I’m sure the irfu don’t have to pay the same amount as MCD would to rent it anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Having each country have 3 home international games in Sep and Oct is a bit much from a fans pov.

• Advertisement

Having each country have 3 home international games in Sep and Oct is a bit much from a fans pov.

Won’t be long before we see a six match England/NZ series played over 2 hemispheres and Wales organising playing 8 matches in the millennium stadium But managing to claim the SH opposition were the home team.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The NFL season will have just ended too. Yeah that's ****e.

One of the best parts of the year for me is the NFL season ending and the 6N starting. It's almost perfect sometimes with an Ireland match scheduled on SB Sunday like SB50.

That's what the RC currently is and it's only one additional game from the 6N schedule. The problem will be if and when some unions try to squeeze additional games in and it becomes 7 or 8 games.

I would hope it would lead to more opportunities for developing players at test level. As there would be a more concentrated period at the end of the season, we would be less likely to see the usual 25 players or so play every match.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Buer wrote: »
    I've seen this said a lot but is there going to be much difference between this and the T14 being played in June and August (which already happens), the three test matches Ireland played in August last year, the 7s circuit which is high speed and played on hard pitches all year round (obviously less contact but still considerable action on these surfaces) or the current games on artificial surfaces (Racing, Saracens, Glasgow, Cardiff etc.)?

I suppose it would vary from ground to ground. Main stadiums like the Aviva would have proper irrigation and would better suited to it. Some pitches like the Rec barely have grass in some areas as it is. Might see more grounds moving over to artificial surfaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,335 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

stephen_n wrote: »
    I suppose it would vary from ground to ground. Main stadiums like the Aviva would have proper irrigation and would better suited to it. Some pitches like the Rec barely have grass in some areas as it is. Might see more grounds moving over to artificial surfaces.

The rec isn't a great example. There is a river right behind one of the stands which is prone to flooding IIRC

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    The rec isn't a great example. There is a river right behind one of the stands which is prone to flooding IIRC

What about the issue that Bath can't use the Rec during the summer, so they'd need to find a new home ground.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

What about the issue that Bath can't use the Rec during the summer, so they'd need to find a new home ground.

Aren't there a few clubs with ground share agreements that could be impacted by this?

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Aren't there a few clubs with ground share agreements that could be impacted by this?

I’d imagine there are a few that share with soccer that use the summer for getting the pitch right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

One of the best parts of the year for me is the NFL season ending and the 6N starting. It's almost perfect sometimes with an Ireland match scheduled on SB Sunday like SB50.

One of the strongest arguments I’ve heard to date for not moving the 6N.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭OldRio

Utterly fascinating interview with Stuart Barnes on OTB on YouTube. I wish it had been for a lot longer to be honest.
    Highly recommended.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement