Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

All Blacks Vs Kangaroos being mooted for December. Probably won't happen but a part of me would love to see what a hybrid game would look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

hahashake wrote: »
    All Blacks Vs Kangaroos being mooted for December. Probably won't happen but a part of me would love to see what a hybrid game would look like.

Rugby League players flying into rucks. What could go wrong?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Would it actually be a "hybrid" game and how on earth would that work?

Which bits of Union would they remove to move it closer to League?

And more fundamentally - Why would anyone bother??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

awec wrote: »
    No I mean they'll go hard at it from end of August - early November, and then they'll be essentially given 2 months off.

Unless the global calendar comes to pass, that won't be the case. They'll need to start the European season again fairly quickly. An entire season needs to be condensed into 6-7 months including test matches.

I imagine they'll have at least 2 European games before the end of January if not more. They'll also have the 6N probably starting in February so I they'll want guys with a few games under their belt before then.

The only sensible way to manage game time is to use this as the opportunity to bring in the global calendar and the end of the season gets pushed out by 2-3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,313 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Would it actually be a "hybrid" game and how on earth would that work?

Which bits of Union would they remove to move it closer to League?

And more fundamentally - Why would anyone bother??

Didn’t Bath play Wigan years ago in a two match series? One of each game if I remember right. Which I possibly don’t.

• Advertisement

Ha! Though in fairness, the rules haven't been announced/decided so we can only speculate how it would go.

I don't imagine this holds as much interest for an Irish rugby fan as an Australian, New Zealander or even English fan, but for the latter 3 there will be definite interest and interest = money.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

salmocab wrote: »
    Didn’t Bath play Wigan years ago in a two match series? One of each game if I remember right. Which I possibly don’t.

They did indeed - And each code won their own variant at a canter.

In a similar event now , I suspect that Union would be a bit more competitive in the League game as Union defenses are much more organised and things like line speed and players getting back into the defensive line are greatly improved after 25 years of Professionalism.

I can't see that the League guys would be that much more competitive in the Union game though..

A half of each would be better though surely the Union side would involve a lot of potential injuries not just from the aforementioned rucks, but scrums and even potentially lineouts.

If it does go ahead it's a massive slap in the face for the Wallabies and Kiwis.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,313 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

They did indeed - And each code won their own variant at a canter.

In a similar event now , I suspect that Union would be a bit more competitive in the League game as Union defenses are much more organised and things like line speed and players getting back into the defensive line are greatly improved after 25 years of Professionalism.

I can't see that the League guys would be that much more competitive in the Union game though..

Cheers, I have vague memory of a coach playing for Wigan because he was tall so they could do lineouts.
    Just like international rules I just can’t get excited about these types of events.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I was just going to post about that.... crazy stuff...
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8458195/Cross-code-clash-Blacks-Kangaroos-slated-December.html

so, no scrums, no lineouts, no rucks or mauls.... it will be heavily one sided for 1 of the teams.

Its slated to happen 3 weeks after the state of Origin.... but they will hardly train for the rugby union aspect after that.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Buer wrote: »
    Unless the global calendar comes to pass, that won't be the case. They'll need to start the European season again fairly quickly. An entire season needs to be condensed into 6-7 months including test matches.

I imagine they'll have at least 2 European games before the end of January if not more. They'll also have the 6N probably starting in February so I they'll want guys with a few games under their belt before then.

It's already been announced that the first round of next seasons comp will be played Dec 11/12. I'd expect 4 rounds by the end of Jan.
    The only sensible way to manage game time is to use this as the opportunity to bring in the global calendar and the end of the season gets pushed out by 2-3 months.

That's dead in the water. The English and French clubs and, according to Munster CEO Ian Flanagan, the IRFU are against summer rugby.

I was just going to post about that.... crazy stuff...
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8458195/Cross-code-clash-Blacks-Kangaroos-slated-December.html

so, no scrums, no lineouts, no rucks or mauls.... it will be heavily one sided for 1 of the teams.

Its slated to happen 3 weeks after the state of Origin.... but they will hardly train for the rugby union aspect after that.....

An utterly pointless exercise.

Fail to see what either side get out of it - Would they really make any more money out of this than any other International fixture?

It's already been announced that the first round of next seasons comp will be played Dec 11/12. I'd expect 4 rounds by the end of Jan.

As would I. As I said, I'd expect 2 at least if not more but it's hard to know precisely what format/approach things will take next season with potentially only 3 to a pool.
    That's dead in the water. The English and French clubs and, according to Munster CEO Ian Flanagan, the IRFU are against summer rugby.

It certainly appears so from the initial meeting in the last couple of weeks. It remains the sensible option from a player welfare approach though however unlikely.

It's madness to try and condense everything into 11 months approximately. If we assume the ECC only has 3 teams in each pool and the only November internationals are the outstanding 6N fixtures, we're looking at players technically being available for over 50 matches (7 remaining fixtures for this season, 7 European games potentially next season, up to 24 domestic matches, 7 6N fixtures and a Lions tour).

It will be last man standing by the time the Lions/summer tours come around.

An utterly pointless exercise.

Fail to see what either side get out of it - Would they really make any more money out of this than any other International fixture?

As a one off spectable/freakshow, it would attract huge interest. Look at Mayweather vs McGregor for a comparison.

League has massive interest in Australia, far greater than union. Anyone who knows any Australian sports fans knows they're not exactly known for being humble. They'll be all over an opportunity to beat the All Blacks. I imagine there would be a a big television deal on the cards for a double header.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭bilston

So the resumption of the season is beginning to fall into place (second wave of Covid allowing)

22/23 August - Pro 14 Inter Pros
    29/30 August - Pro 14 Inter Pros
    5/6 September - Pro 14 semis
    12 September - Pro 14 final
    19/20 September - European Q/Fs
    25/26 September - European S/Fs
    2/3 October - Free?
    9/10 October - Free?
    16 October - European Final

It gives us something to aim for. It would be nice if some supporters were able to attend some of these games.

bilston wrote: »
    So the resumption of the season is beginning to fall into place (second wave of Covid allowing)

22/23 August - Pro 14 Inter Pros
    29/30 August - Pro 14 Inter Pros
    5/6 September - Pro 14 semis
    12 September - Pro 14 final
    19/20 September - European Q/Fs
    25/26 September - European S/Fs
    2/3 October - Free?
    9/10 October - Free?
    16 October - European Final

It gives us something to aim for. It would be nice if some supporters were able to attend some of these games.

Maybe the Pro14 will allow some fans to attend by the start of September?

In that case, Ulster fans won't have much to worry about.

:pac:

Only way that might work would be if they had some kind of raffle for tickets for each game as I doubt that the limits on public gatherings are going to change for quite some time.

Might not be a bad idea - everyone buys a 5 euro raffle ticket and you have 400/500 winners for each game??

Only way that might work would be if they had some kind of raffle for tickets for each game as I doubt that the limits on public gatherings are going to change for quite some time.

Might not be a bad idea - everyone buys a 5 euro raffle ticket and you have 400/500 winners for each game??

The Taoiseach said a few week ago that outdoor public gatherings of 4-5000 could be allowed by September. 100 is the current limit and that will increase to 200 on Monday. Rugby is still 2 months away so a lot can change between now and then.

I'll be honest with you, I'm happy to watch the games at home.

I just wanted to pick on Ulster fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Cyber bullying is wrong Buer. Leave the downtrodden alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,723 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

The Taoiseach said a few week ago that outdoor public gatherings of 4-5000 could be allowed by September. 100 is the current limit and that will increase to 200 on Monday. Rugby is still 2 months away so a lot can change between now and then.

I think 5000 by September would be a bit optimistic. CMO has said mass gatherings bigger than size after 20th July will be the very last restrictions to be eased and will be some time better they are.

Eod100 wrote: »
    I think 5000 by September would be a bit optimistic. CMO has said mass gatherings bigger than size after 20th July will be the very last restrictions to be eased and will be some time better they are.

Well it was the Taoiseach who said it, so it's not at all optimistic. The CMO also said that we wouldn't be fully reopened until August. Well that changed very quickly and nearly all restrictions will be lifted on Monday. Once a new government is in place expect things like a reduction in the social distancing from 2m to 1m and to none for kids, scrapping of the quarantine and by September a large increase in (socially distanced) outdoor gathering numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

sydthebeat wrote: »
    OTB have done another very good interview podcast to follow up the Stuart Barnes one from last week.

This week its Liam Toland... and before people roll their eyes......hes actually quite an interesting guy, with his life outlook and his business interests.

Listened to it today. Very interesting man alright. Good points about making venues accessible to everyone and making the clubs more inclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Cyber bullying is wrong Buer. Leave the downtrodden alone.

But...but... he didn't mention Murroe ...though I hear they are opening Glenside pitch and putt any time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,335 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Get the games moved to Belfast, we're allowed spectators from the end of July

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I’d say there’s a reasonable chance of fans in by the end of August. Aviva holding 50k would allow for more space than any provincial ground

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Has anybody heard any rumours about internationals? Or the completion of the 6 nations yet?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,283 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

This could be fun :

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12343450

All Blacks coach Ian Foster has confirmed that a North Island versus South Island rugby match, doubling as an All Blacks trial, will go ahead - and revealed how players would qualify to represent the respective teams.

The match is set for August 29, the second weekend after the final round of Super Rugby Aotearoa, but coaches for the teams and a ground for the game are yet to be finalised.

Players would be eligible for either the North or South Island side depending on which province they made their first-class debut for.

The eligibility ruling means the likes of Northland's Jack Goodhue and Taranaki's Scott and Jordie Barrett will instead play for the South Island, having made their provincial debuts for Canterbury, while Christchurch's Anton Lienert-Brown and Invercargill's Damian McKenzie will play for the North Island as they both first played for Waikato.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    The eligibility ruling means the likes of Northland's Jack Goodhue and Taranaki's Scott and Jordie Barrett will instead play for the South Island, having made their provincial debuts for Canterbury, while Christchurch's Anton Lienert-Brown and Invercargill's Damian McKenzie will play for the North Island as they both first played for Waikato.

Great idea but the eligibility doesn't make a lot of sense. Should be school or place of birth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement