Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Minor schemes & realignments

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

serfboard wrote: »
    A sh1te road, in other words.

Glad to see this, which has happened on a few of these realignments:

A ****e road, that was already realigned in the 90s!

The old route will be partially used as an access route for housing and the rest used for cyclists and pedestrians. Very good to see as the existing road is quite dangerous for both with all the blind corners

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

The N59 Kilmeena realignment is finally nearing completion. Since construction work resumed after the lockdown the final surface has been laid and only the lines and cats eyes are still outstanding.

No idea why this job has taken 18 months as opposed to the 12 months that was expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭serfboard

Further along the N59, the "N59 West Of Letterfrack widening" project has resumed.

You can see from Google Street View, where they are working. The wooden fence shows the new alignment. (Also visible on Google Satellite).

It's only a short scheme as far as the entrance to the National Park (I'd estimate less than 1km), but they're taking out a serious bend, and doing some impressive rock cutting to do it. Looks like P&D Lydon have the contract.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

serfboard wrote: »
    Further along the N59, the "N59 West Of Letterfrack widening" project has resumed.

You can see from Google Street View, where they are working. The wooden fence shows the new alignment. (Also visible on Google Satellite).

It's only a short scheme as far as the entrance to the National Park (I'd estimate less than 1km), but they're taking out a serious bend, and doing some impressive rock cutting to do it. Looks like P&D Lydon have the contract.

The road is ridiculously tight there and it causes issues when 2 buses or heavy vehicles meet along there especially in summer. It's a 300m scheme I believe or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

300 metres?

Hardly 300 million?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I know its not technically roads but it will improve road safety . I was driving by kells tonight and I seen a pedestrian walkway is under construction alongside the N52 Bypass. This will be great as it will get people of the road

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

The N59 Kilmeena realignment is finally nearing completion. Since construction work resumed after the lockdown the final surface has been laid and only the lines and cats eyes are still outstanding.

No idea why this job has taken 18 months as opposed to the 12 months that was expected.

I heard it was the bridge by the road down to Buckfield. It kept collapsing or they couldn't keep water out of it or something.

That bridge certainly seemed to be problematic alright! It was still unfinished when the rest of the project looked largely complete.
    afatbollix wrote: »
    I heard it was the bridge by the road down to Buckfield. It kept collapsing or they couldn't keep water out of it or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

marno21 wrote: »
    A ****e road, that was already realigned in the 90s!

The old route will be partially used as an access route for housing and the rest used for cyclists and pedestrians. Very good to see as the existing road is quite dangerous for both with all the blind corners

There was very little done on this stretch in the '90's, one bend at the eastern end was opened up a bit. You'd wonder if a proper job might have been done years ago if it weren't for all the funds diverted to the local roads around Kilgarvan. If the cult independents really held sway, schemes like this would have been done years ago. They influence where money is spent alright but usually at the expense of some other part of their own constituency. It wasn't until JHR's third term supporting FF that he included this stretch of road as a priority, and it's now after a decade without direct Healy-Rae influence on government that it's getting done.

• Advertisement

The offline alignment of the N60 Hill of Oran project is now open. The Ballymoe end of the works is still ongoing. This is a widening of the existing online road. It should be complete by August, I estimate.

Already visible on Google satellite view, they must have updated their coverage of this area in the last couple of months.
    The offline alignment of the N60 Hill of Oran project is now open. The Ballymoe end of the works is still ongoing. This is a widening of the existing online road. It should be complete by August, I estimate.

I have photos but as I'm a new user I can't share them yet. It's interesting that Google Maps updated the satellite for this section and still hasn't updated its satellite for the N61 Coolteige realignment, though the new route is outlined.

Some photos of the offline section of the N60 Hill of Oran project. It's a very high quality upgrade and will shave a few minutes off travel, as well as drastically improving safety by avoiding Oran graveyard.

The only issue I have, and it's been noted locally, is that the tie-in at Rockfield (the Roscommon end) is very abrupt and arrives at a bend. The road really should have been widened closer to Kenny's pub. There is a ringfort to the north which couldn't be interfered with but ample room on the southern side for widening and removal of that bend.

Rare enough that we post regional road upgrades on this thread, but I got a nice pic today of a realignment project on the R312 north of Castlebar.

Nephin mountain makes for a good backdrop :)

Rare enough that we post regional road upgrades on this thread, but I got a nice pic today of a realignment project on the R312 north of Castlebar.

Nephin mountain makes for a good backdrop :)

I wasn't aware there was any upgrade of the Glenisland Road underway. What section is being upgraded and what length?

It's only about 500 metres. ABP turned it down in 2017 but it got permission last year.

http://www1.pleanala.ie/casenum/302267.htm
    I wasn't aware there was any upgrade of the Glenisland Road underway. What section is being upgraded and what length?

New offline alignment of N60 Oran is now added on Google maps, both satellite and default settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

^^^ is it open for business? Havnt been in the area since lockdown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I have noticed on a lot of small bypasses the amount of people that walk on them is massive, It surly wouldn't cost that much extra to allow for a provision of a segregated walking area along side the road when being built . I am particularly thinking of the Ardee & Slane bypasses. Doing it now would make it safer for drivers and pedestrians and save you coming back to retrofit like they currently are on the N52 Kells bypass

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

What Slane bypass?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

spacetweek wrote: »
    What Slane bypass?

The one under planning, as their post makes fairly clear - just as the Ardee Bypass is also at that stage. The N33 is not a bypass!

Does anyone know what's going on with what appears to be a new parallel road that was started in Glencar and Diffreen on the N16 but seems to have been stalled? The foundation and earthworks are completed but no sign that it's been touched in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

not sure if this falls into the list or belongs on the minor schemes but some small progress on this.
    https://www.sligococo.ie/N59/

shanec1928 wrote: »
    not sure if this falls into the list or belongs on the minor schemes but some small progress on this.
    https://www.sligococo.ie/N59/

That's a separate road altogether, the N59 heading to Ballina. I know the Lugatober section is being designed at present and has planning permission. This section alongside Diffreen NS looks like an abandoned road project.

That's a separate road altogether, the N59 heading to Ballina. I know the Lugatober section is being designed at present and has planning permission. This section alongside Diffreen NS looks like an abandoned road project.
    Sorry HabibiLibneni, the post about the N59 was on the wrong thread so I moved it here.

That post wasn't in reply to your one.

marno21 wrote: »
    Sorry HabibiLibneni, the post about the N59 was on the wrong thread so I moved it here.

That post wasn't in reply to your one.

Oh, sorry! 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Yes, I noticed that alright, on Google Maps and Earth; I was wondering about that myself.
    I'll be up that way in 4 weeks, so I'll stop and get some pics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Looks like a continuation of the road improvements up to that point, heading west... but I cannot fimd any info on it.

Advertisement