Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just came back from a holiday in Ireland

• 13-06-2020 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84,324 ✭✭✭✭

Hotels some really upping their prices, if we get 500 euros for Irish staycations from the Government :D then might afford if not then Costa del my Garden

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Hotels some really upping their prices, if we get 500 euros for Irish staycations from the Government :D then might afford if not then Costa del my Garden

Much of what we give to hotels goes to the government in various taxes anyway as the money circulates in the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Was always very expensive to stay in Ireland. Most people stay cationing it’s usually only a few nights in a hotel or else do self catering

• Registered Users Posts: 84,324 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

road_high wrote: »
    Was always very expensive to stay in Ireland. Most people stay cationing it’s usually only a few nights in a hotel or else do self catering

Yes you could holiday abroad from the prices to stay here but to entice more staycations in Ireland especially for the remainder of 2020 I thought you might get some good deals or offers but so far no

I know the tourism and hospitality sector has been hit hard in this pandemic but some of prices are extraordinary

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Ultimately the hotels will be short-sightedly shooting themselves in the foot if they try and overcharge now. They have a captive market while planes are grounded.

If anything they should offer up a once in a lifetimes sale to hook us all on Irish staycations.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's down to supply and demand - there has been a significant uptick in demand as restrictions are lifted, and people will typically want to stay local rather than flying to somewhere in the sun. Hence more people are chasing relatively few deals

We've a place we let in Cornwall. It's all done through an agency and prices have not increased, although the cleaning costs and other precautions required increases the costs of providing holiday accommodation. The months of July and August have pretty much booked up over the past 2 weeks

Hotels may also have to limit occupancy to maintain social distancing

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I'd like to get away sometime but is there anything I can do to reduce the risk by staying in a hotel. The only thing I can think of is bringing my own wipes and ringing ahead to get them to leave the window open in my room.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I'd like to get away sometime but is there anything I can do to reduce the risk by staying in a hotel. The only thing I can think of is bringing my own wipes and ringing ahead to get them to leave the window open in my room.
    Have you considered self-catering options?

https://www.discoverireland.ie/Where-To-Stay/Self-Catering

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

is_that_so wrote: »
    Have you considered self-catering options?

https://www.discoverireland.ie/Where-To-Stay/Self-Catering

Thanks very much for this, self catering is a good idea as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just on the cribbing over pricing - Supply and demand surely?

Most of my circle of family friends and acquaintances are planning to stay in Ireland until a vaccine is found or the virus is completely eradicated (which is unlikely)

So I would guess there’s big demand for Irish hotel/b+b options this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

and it's not worth it - in the current environment.

Supposed to be a 4 star hotel and the following services were unavailable due to COVID:

No room cleaning
    No new bed sheets
    No new towels - get them yourself from reception
    No room service
    No TV
    No fridge
    No swimming pool
    No bar

Restaurant was available at reduced capacity however the orders were mixed every day because we had to fill out the order in advance and orders were getting mixed up because staff were adjusting to the new requirements and extra steps involved.

If it stays like this, it would be better to book a dorm in a hostel or go camping and have a DIY holiday.

I expect that hotels and service providers will use COVID as an excuse to cut back on services and reduce their costs while maintaining same prices and using COVID and social distancing measures as the reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I had a night booked in the cliff house in Waterford, 5 star spa hotel. They never said anything at the time of booking or emailed me about it but if you check their website it says you have to book in the for the pool, the sauna and steam room etc. are closed. I went to book a time and asked how long we'd have and they initially ignored that question, I asked again after a few more mails and they confirmed 30 minutes. I cancelled immediately, any kind of fancy hotel is certainly not worth it at the moment.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Supposed to be a 4 star hotel and the following services were unavailable due to COVID:

No TV
    Why on earth would there be no TV? If it's handling the remote, that's an easy clean afterwards.

This is exactly what awaits people who decide to go on holidays in Spain, etc this Summer.
    Not a holiday if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Kalimah

We went for 2 nights last week to the Seafield in Ballymoney in Wexford. Not a bad experience to be honest under the circumstances. We had room cleaning and towel changes, and TV! We had to book our evening meal in advance, and also the breakfast which was ok. We sat at our table for the evening and were able to have a few drinks- no time limit it seemed. You had to book the spa in advance and treatments were limited, but we could use the hydrotherapy and vitality pool. No changing facilities unfortunately, so you went back up to your room in the robes supplied.
    Weather was chronic, though we did get a walk in one of the days. Weather is the main reason I don't holiday in Ireland anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I had a night booked in the cliff house in Waterford, 5 star spa hotel. They never said anything at the time of booking or emailed me about it but if you check their website it says you have to book in the for the pool, the sauna and steam room etc. are closed. I went to book a time and asked how long we'd have and they initially ignored that question, I asked again after a few more mails and they confirmed 30 minutes. I cancelled immediately, any kind of fancy hotel is certainly not worth it at the moment.

Well said! It appears to be taking time for the penny to drop with hoteliers and some of their prospective guests. Nothing is operating as normal currently high end accommodation is no different. Keep the money in the pocket if you are not happy to pay full whack for a stripped down experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Kalimah wrote: »
    Weather was chronic, though we did get a walk in one of the days. Weather is the main reason I don't holiday in Ireland anymore!

Have had many enjoyable breaks here in the past and yes, for a lot of them the weather was not perfect. Probably the best though which I'll never forget was a largely 'soft' week spent in Wexford in June 1990 which had one ray of sunshine on the evening of the 25th. The hotel held off on serving dinner while everyone gathered in the TV room. And yes, everyone did hold their breath. The rain didn't seem quite so bad after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I booked two nights in a nice looking 3 star place in Kinsale instead, was actually slightly cheaper than one night in the cliff house. I'm happy to go away for the weekend but there's absolutely no point in paying the extra for anything other than the hotel room itself as that's all you're getting.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

We're just back from a few days in Kerry and stayed in a B&B. You had to choose your breakfast, what you wanted and what time at the night before but other than that, there was no discernable difference to before Covid.
    It is a lovely part of the world, we were lucky to get some good sunny weather and you can easily find a deserted beach with so many beaches down there. If it's a choice between no holiday at all or paying to head to another part of the country - I'd still head away. We've holidayed in Ireland the past few years so one more year under the circumstances is fine, there are plenty of beautiful places to explore. Always bring a raincoat :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

No room cleaning
    No new bed sheets
    No room service
    No TV
    No fridge
    No swimming pool
    No bar

Restaurant was available at reduced capacity however the orders were mixed every day because we had to fill out the order in advance and orders were getting mixed up because staff were adjusting to the new requirements and extra steps involved.

If it stays like this, it would be better to book a dorm in a hostel or go camping and have a DIY holiday.

I expect that hotels and service providers will use COVID as an excuse to cut back on services and reduce their costs while maintaining same prices and using COVID and social distancing measures as the reason.

We are in the middle of a pandemic. Hotels probably had to implement changes to the room servicing to minimise risks to the housekeeping staff. They probably don't want staff going into rooms while guests are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I can watch TV, make my own bed and look out the window at the rain at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

how is a man supposed to get through a family holiday with no bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The Nal wrote: »
    I can watch TV, make my own bed and look out the window at the rain at home.

The point of a holiday is you don't have to make your own bed, cook, do the wash up, vacuam, clean up, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 51,115 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Lots of hotel services not available but no drop in prices I see.
    They think we’re all Americans.
    I won’t be paying top money or be ripped off so I’ll stay at home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Thanks for the thread op, it's certainly opened my eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

This is exactly what awaits people who decide to go on holidays in Spain, etc this Summer.
    Not a holiday if you ask me.

Absolutely incorrect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

That's crazy, and I found it strange that some of Ireland's top hotels - Powerscourt Wicklow, Lodge @ Ashford Castle, were both advertising on the radio the past few days with 20% discount.

Powerscourt had a 1 night stay for under €300 for 2 people which would have been unheard of pre-lockdown.

Now I can see why!! I was half tempted before hearing this.

Will hold out for Portugal in Sept/October. Algarve still has little to no cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

wellwhynot wrote: »
    Absolutely incorrect.
    +1

Spain is open for business, as an example, heres one hotel's list of measures which include lots of tweaks (eg. show cooking stand now in the open air rather than indoors) but pool, sauna, room cleaning etc are running pretty much as per normal
    https://www.melia.com/en/hotels/spain/majorca/innside-palma-bosque/stay-safe.htm

Its a lovely hotel btw, should anyone be still looking for a holiday in the sun !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,979 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ixoy wrote: »
    Why on earth would there be no TV? If it's handling the remote, that's an easy clean afterwards.

I'm going to take a guess and say they stopped paying a subscription/license fee to their provider as a cost saving measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

No room cleaning
    No new bed sheets
    No room service
    No TV
    No fridge
    No swimming pool
    No bar

Sounds like you are from out of state, which leads me to pose the question , WHY DO YOU THINK ITS OK TO TRAVEL? You are putting yourself and the people you come in contact with in harms way. We are the the middle of a pandemic how on earth people can contemplate going abroad on holidays is beyond me , let alone start moaning about their experience. Hotels have been closed for months like most businesses, expecting anything approaching a normal service is ridiculous. Prices will invariably remain the same or even go up to counterbalance the lack of trade since March. Im not saying i approve of high prices at all but i can see where the mark up is coming from . I cant however approve of foreign visitors visiting ireland at the moment. Its ludicrously irresponsible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The point of a holiday is you don't have to make your own bed, cook, do the wash up, vacuam, clean up, etc

Exactly. So whats the point in paying a hotel so you can stay in a room smaller than your own gaff and have to do all this yourself?

Advertisement