Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil VIIIage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Very excited for this. I love the series and how it manages to stay fresh by reinventing itself, whilst still retaining that certain RE charm. I also had a fascination with werewolves as a kid, so this ticks a lot of boxes!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Nice, my PC is crying out for something just like this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Why does Christ Redfield keep changing his appearance? He looks like a stocky East European / Russian in this... :p

And is Black Phillip the antagonist?!

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I hope this game comes equipped with Ballistics! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,292 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

just needs someone saying "what're ya buying stranger?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Skerries wrote: »
    just needs someone saying "what're ya buying stranger?"

God no, keep it survival, not the OTT action bullsh!t RE4 and beyond brought.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭FGR

nix wrote: »
    God no, keep it survival, not the OTT action bullsh!t RE4 and beyond brought.. :pac:

I don't know - there's what looks to be a castle in the trailer. It's already screaming thousands of ganados for target practice and another gigantic running statue of Salazar.

Hopefully they'll keep it low key a la RE1/2/3 and 7 - a compact story as opposed to anything over the top where the protagonist somersaults and kung fu kicks everything that moves.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭panevthe3rd

Hard to know what they are going for but there is a lot of resi 4 vibes.

Pretty sure that's an executioner from resi 5 at the 2.10 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

FGR wrote: »
    I don't know - there's what looks to be a castle in the trailer. It's already screaming thousands of ganados for target practice and another gigantic running statue of Salazar.

Hopefully they'll keep it low key a la RE1/2/3 and 7 - a compact story as opposed to anything over the top where the protagonist somersaults and kung fu kicks everything that moves.

Re4 is the best game in the series

Not sure its the best game in the series but damn was RE4 good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Re4 is the best game in the series

Wrong, its RE2, RE4 is a cheesy OTT action shooter. Might be a good game, but its a terrible survival/horror game and has aged poorly.

The changes they took with RE4 made a lot of people happy at first, but really they were just the beginning of the franchises nose dive into the hot garbage it turned into.

Notice how they returned to their roots to make the franchise good again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Wrong, its RE2, RE4 is a cheesy OTT action shooter. Might be a good game, but its a terrible survival/horror game and has aged poorly.

The changes they took with RE4 made a lot of people happy at first, but really they were just the beginning of the franchises nose dive into the hot garbage it turned into.

Nonsense, RE2 is an amazing game but RE4 is easily Capcoms best game, I'd put RE4 up their with the likes of Zelda BOTW as one of the best game ever made.

The gameplay of RE4 was superb, it had much more variety than any other RE game and a brilliant upgrade system.

Yes RE4 was more action than survival horror but it was action done right. The people been unhappy with the action direction only started with RE5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

I agree with a lot of what your saying . I love the old survival horror style and hate RE5 and RE6. But having played RE4 through recently I realise it's a master piece . We both have our opinions but the general consensus is that RE4 is the best in the series

RE4 gets alot of flak because of the legacy of RE5 and RE6. I think at the time the series peaked at RE 2 or the remake of RE1 and was getting stale, Code Veronica brought nothing really new to the old formula but better graphics nor did RE 0.

RE5 is actually a decent enough game. But its basically a co-op remake of RE4 and simply wasn't as fresh as 4. Hell its opening village scene is straight up ripped from 4 in how it plays. Having a partner accompany you and having a lot of the game set during brightly lit days in Africa further reduced the survival horror aspects of the series even more than 4 did. Still it was a decent enough third person action game particular in co-op, it had decent DLC adds on and its unlockable bonus game was great.

RE6 was poor, but it wasn't from a lack of trying. Leon's campaign was actually decent in my opinion, and its Mercs mode was fantastic. But yeah I'd rather not see an RE game in this vain again.

I get why some people dislike RE4 but I think its absolutely fantastic game.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,460 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I loved 4. I loved 2. But Resi 1 was the best of the series. The OG version is melted into my brain.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

That old mansion has a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

RE4 isn't just the best game in the series, it is the greatest game of all time.

On topic: Village looks like a cross between RE7 and RE3.5, which sounds amazing to me. I am a little disappointed that they have changed Chris' look again, I liked the RE7 redesign cos it made him look like an actual human again after the boulder-punching roid rage Chris of RE5/6

Dusk Golem, the guy who leaked all the correct Village info initially, has been chiming in on why RE8 is skipping current gen.

https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1271904090092523520?s=20
    https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1271904367386320896?s=20
    https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1271904564342472704?s=20

The most noticeable thing there for me is "bigger focus on exploration". Creeping around the woods surrounding the village at night, playing in a dark room, wearing headphones.... muah!

Love that decision! Cut off the dead weight to make a better game.

Yeah, me too. The game will still be there for people who only upgrade their machine later on down the road. And I like Capcom's bravery (for want of a better, less arse-licky word). Would have been very easy to target the existing 150m consoles already out there.

• Advertisement

Yupp, is amazing that resi broke 100mil sales. Horror genre isn't the biggest seller and would be easy to succumb to the more money/sales road.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Yupp, is amazing that resi broke 100mil sales. Horror genre isn't the biggest seller and would be easy to succumb to the more money/sales road.

You may find it slightly depressing that the action games, RE5 and RE6, were the biggest sellers by large margin.

Personally I put this down to the series being on a high from the impact of RE4 but its still a travesty RE6 outsold RE4 (and that is including its many rereleases).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Markitron wrote: »
    You may find it slightly depressing that the action games, RE5 and RE6, were the biggest sellers by large margin.

Personally I put this down to the series being on a high from the impact of RE4 but its still a travesty RE6 outsold RE4 (and that is including its many rereleases).

It's because they're such good co-op games.

Rob2D wrote: »
    It's because they're such good co-op games.

Exactly, they were pandering to the trends in gaming at the time and lost their identity as RE games. I still think RE5 is a decent game in and of itself.

RE6, on the other hand, is a crime against humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Instead of seeing potential for a new IP, CAPCOM decided to use established IP to be safe on the safe side and in doing so permanently compromised the Biohazard franchise from ever being pure survival horror again.

Instead of seeing potential for a new IP, CAPCOM decided to use established IP to be safe on the safe side and in doing so permanently compromised the Biohazard franchise from ever being pure survival horror again.

Thankfully they have mostly corrected that in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

They've made moves in the right direction but from what I can tell it's one step forward two steps back. I mean I'll play the better ones like Bio 2 Remake when they come out but I have zero faith in the series anymore. 2 Remake was a pleasant surprise but I played it for free from a friend's shared library. It's safe to say I'm not a customer of the series anymore. I actually think 4 was the last one I ever spent money on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Homelander

RE5 and RE6 are both solid games, just not good Resident Evil, or even horror, games. Incredible co-op experiences. There's no wacky explanation for it, they sold the most because they appealed to the widest base and were good games.

Personally, I didn't really like RE4 for example. Though I do like the franchise in general. I even loved Operation Raccoon City which was horribly under-rated - the co-op and online multiplayer were incredible even if the main game was totally average, yet most reviews barely mentioned these huge features.

Another game that sold several millions copies despite mixed reception, as like RE5 and RE6, it was a decent game in its own right, but judging it harshly based on the expectation that it would be a survival horror was unfair.

Still haven't played the Resident Evil 3 remake. RE2 remake was pretty good.

Homelander wrote: »
    RE5 and RE6 are both solid games, just not good Resident Evil, or even horror, games. Incredible co-op experiences. There's no wacky explanation for it, they sold the most because they appealed to the widest base and were good games.

Personally, I didn't really like RE4 for example. Though I do like the franchise in general. I even loved Operation Raccoon City which was horribly under-rated - the co-op and online multiplayer were incredible even if the main game was totally average, yet most reviews barely mentioned these huge features.

Another game that sold several millions copies despite mixed reception, as like RE5 and RE6, it was a decent game in its own right, but judging it harshly based on the expectation that it would be a survival horror was unfair.

Still haven't played the Resident Evil 3 remake. RE2 remake was pretty good.

I don't judge the spin-off games for not being true RE games, that is the whole point really. I can enjoy them for what they are. I can do this to an extent with RE5 as it still maintains at least some of the DNA of the series, but not RE6. RE6 was a collection of every fad in gaming at the time, thrown against a wall to see what would stick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,292 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

The RE Revelations games were waaay better than Resi 5 and 6 imo

Advertisement