Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drugs in Golf

• 11-06-2020 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

We have all heard of hushed up bans etc, mainly for social drugs.

But there is a golfer on tour who made gains in muscle mass that are not believable over Xmas. Just seen him now and he has ballooned even more

These gains are not possible without Mexican supplement as Joe Rogan calls them

How is this happening when golf is now an Olympic sport. The testing must be absolutely rubbish

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Who's the golfer you are accusing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭gypsy79

He is one off the lead!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

gypsy79 wrote: »
    We have all heard of hushed up bans etc, mainly for social drugs.

But there is a golfer on tour who made gains in muscle mass that are not believable over Xmas. Just seen him now and he has ballooned even more

These gains are not possible without Mexican supplement as Joe Rogan calls them

How is this happening when golf is now an Olympic sport. The testing must be absolutely rubbish

Yes they are... Diet and structured muscle building could deliver this.. He would be tripling his calories using clean macro diet but it is doable and not necessarily steroids

he is young and has the cash to pay for personal trainer and dietitian

Rippeditup wrote: »
    Yes they are... Diet and structured muscle building could deliver this.. He would be tripling his calories using clean macro diet but it is doable and not necessarily steroids

he is young and has the cash to pay for personal trainer and dietitian

If you believe that then you would believe anything

0.25kg per week muscle gain is absolute most someone can do without help

He did 25lb gain (12kg) in 6 weeks and is ripped

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Dr Anthony Galea is a person of interest when discussing this subject.

• Advertisement

He was great in the wire

galea.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Holy **** what an accusation.

At least put together a post showing how you came to the conclusion and how it couldn't be done without drugs. Even link a study showing it can't be done.

Muscle been gained at 0.25kg per week is a well know fact. I dont need to post anything to prove this. Google will tell you this.

Even top bodybuilders who use steroids back in the day struggled with 5-10kg in a year.

Bryson is ****ing massive. He made the difference in roughly 6 weeks. The gains he made are his own claims

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Even top bodybuilders who use steroids back in the day struggled with 5-10kg in a year.

It's far easier to put on muscle when starting out compared to body builders who already have a high level of muscle

hence the rates much lower above. Even 10kg in a year with steroid abuse is below 0.25kg per week

0.25kg is considered the max gain rate doing everything perfect

Bryson did 4 times that if only 50% of gain was muscle. Looks more to me!!

If its not worth a question then people are blind!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

Drugs in golf would be more for beta blockers like snooker to take the edge of nerves/adrenaline off you for consistency I would think than muscle gains

slingerz wrote: »
    Drugs in golf would be more for beta blockers like snooker to take the edge of nerves/adrenaline off you for consistency I would think than muscle gains

That was the common perception. The point of this thread/discussion is that I think that might be changing!

Players are now lifting seriously heavy weights. Recovery becomes key

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Muscle been gained at 0.25kg per week is a well know fact. I dont need to post anything to prove this. Google will tell you this.

Bryson is ****ing massive. He made the difference in roughly 6 weeks. The gains he made are his own claims

If you're going to post such outlandish claims at least back them up with some evidence rather than saying you don't need to prove it, directing people to Google or insinuating they are thick for not agreeing with you. :rolleyes:

Bryson's been doing weights since last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

There are huge benefits from using growth hormones.

All I asked was has the testing improved

If it has, he should be targetted big time. Probably too late though. The impacts of hgh last for years

I suppose you are one of the sorts thinks Mo Farahs miraculous improvements were down to har work??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

All I asked was has the testing improved

If it has, he should be targetted big time. Probably too late though. The impacts of hgh last for years

I suppose you are one of the sorts thinks Mo Farahs miraculous improvements were down to har work??

(I dont think anyone except Mo who would claim that.)

Could he not just have got normal length sticks like everyone else if we wanted more distance ? Its totally legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

There are huge benefits from using growth hormones.

I’m not sure golf is a sport that lends itself to physical superiority. I think agility and flexibility are more important than mass gains

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Far from ripped, he looks more keg than abs to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I’m not sure golf is a sport that lends itself to physical superiority. I think agility and flexibility are more important than mass gains

No reason why extra power wouldn't be an advantage either.

"When he wasn’t flying it over trees, DeChambeau settled for flying past competitors. His playing partner Dustin Johnson—who has finished no lower than sixth on tour in driving distance since 2008—averaged 302.7 yards off the tee Thursday ... a mere 40 yards shorter than DeChambeau (345.4 yards, to be exact). DeChambeau picked up two strokes against the field off the tee, best among the morning wave"

"When golf went into its pandemic-induced sabbatical at the Players Championship, DeChambeau had four top fives in seven starts on the year and ranked first on tour in distance and third in strokes gained/off-the-tee. He added over 19 yards (321.3) to his average drive."

Since we last saw him at TPC Sawgrass, the former U.S. Amateur and NCAA champion has doubled-down on his metamorphosis, gaining an extra 20 pounds in the past three months, focusing on speed training to increase ball speed.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/a-buffed-out-bryson-dechambeau-shoved-colonial-in-a-locker-on-th

The extra weigh is cretainly not hindering him.

Ceepo wrote: »
    Since we last saw him at TPC Sawgrass, the former U.S. Amateur and NCAA champion has doubled-down on his metamorphosis, gaining an extra 20 pounds in the past three months, focusing on speed training to increase ball speed.

And he definitely doesnt look fat. That 45 lb documented weight gain in a year

It just doesnt seem feasable while still playing golf without help

In fact it barely seems feasible if he took a year off competition golf

• Advertisement

And he definitely doesnt look fat. That 45 lb documented weight gain in a year

It just doesnt seem feasable while still playing golf without help

In fact it barely seems feasible if he took a year off competition golf

No saying that there is or isn't any peds in Golf, but the drug testing is minimal to non existing. Ireland has a number of worlds class players, in 2017 there was only 1 golfer tested and that was in LPGA..
    Up to recently the PGA didn't allow blood to be tested, the only way to test for HGH.
    While other sports like athletics and cycling has the spot light put in them(and rightly so) but they do how ever look to be testing and actually banning athletes.
    Other sports like Tennis Football and maybe Golf continue to bury their head.

Even Bryson playing partner Dustin was unlucky to have 3 injuries lasting one lasting 3 months and 2 lasting 6 months. It certainly was misfortune to hurt your back on the eve of the Masters.
    Almost as unfortunate as a injury prone Spanish tennis player
    Edit, I forgot to mention Vejay and the curious case of Deer antler spray.

While I don't think that golf has a ped problem. To believe that it doesn't happen or that there's no benefit to it in golf in nieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,079 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Dustin's injuries were more recreational than performance enhancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭sugarman20

If he's juicing then he's doing it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,267 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

He absolutely does not look ripped

PARlance wrote: »
    Dustin's injuries were more recreational than performance enhancing.

While that many well be the case. The fact remains they were "injuries" and not suspensions,

AdamD wrote: »
    He absolutely does not look ripped

You don't have to be "look ripped"
    Peds don't make you look ripped
    All you need to do is gain power, Peds can help that by allowing you to recover so you can train harder.

sugarman20 wrote: »
    If he's juicing then he's doing it wrong.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,015 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Didnt recognise him at first, was shocked. He doesn't look ripped, but didnt he have a pop at Brooks after he was undone magazine? Brooks succinctly responded showing his major trophies

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

From what I can gather, CBD seems to be a bigger thing over in the US, with lots of talk of pros using it, including Tiger if I remember correctly. Supposedly that gum hes chewing is not of the mint variety.

Not being used for performance enhancement, more for keeping the mood levelled and stress down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

I know people who compete in natural bodybuilding and I have competed in power lifting and can tell you now this is possible... he will have a team focusing on him but claiming he is on steroids is a big claim... if he was he would be tested as the changes are large and if he was positive he would lose millions in deals and would be tarnished, why would he do this when already he was close to the top.. he is someone who comes across as obsessive and if this is on his muscle development and power he would invest heavy in all modern ways within the laws of the game...

Advertisement