Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A Tall Order

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

Another week off work to accompany a step back week with running and very little cycling. Pace has gotten quicker whilst remaining in the desired HR range. Got my first follow up MAF Test on Tuesday so really interested to see how that goes after 4 weeks of HR training. Spreading my mileage over 6 days for the next 4 weeks to see if the body will hold up.

Monday

Junior parkrun with the young lad

Tuesday

Run - 6.4Km @ 6:01min/Km, 139bpm.

Wednesday

Run - 6.4Km @ 6:06min/Km, 139bpm.

Thursday

Run - 6.4Km @ 6:06min/Km, 142bpm.

Friday

Saturday

Run - 14.2Km @ 6:01min/Km, 135bpm

Sunday

Run - 4.5Km @ 5:42min/Km, 139bpm.

Total
    Run - 44Km
    Cycle - few cycles with the boys but nothing strenuous.

Prior week was a down week so back in the swing of things this week. Was cautious/nervous about adding the 6th day of running on the Friday and whilst it went well, it may have caused the general fatigue I had on Saturday/Sunday. I trimmed the 5Km for the Friday from my long run on the Saturday. It obviously will reduce my long runs on Saturdays going forward but I'm not worried about that right now as there's not a whole lot of races to be training for where I'll need those ~20mile LSR.

Monday

Rest day

Tuesday

Run - 1Km warmup + 8Km MAF Test (details below). Ever so slightly slower than my initial test 4 weeks ago. Running itself has been going well but there hasn't been a lot of cycling which may have perhaps dropped my fitness a little and I also spent the prior two weeks while off work consuming whatever was in the house. Need more discipline.

Wednesday

Run - 8Km @ 6:19min/Km, 143bpm

Thursday

Run - 8Km @ 6:22min/Km, 142bpm. Cycled in to drop the bike for a service and this finally got me across the 30,000Km mark cycling (at least according to Strava). Treated myself by ordering a new bike, Trek Domane SL 5... she's a beaut, mostly red so obviously incredibly fast :D Ran home from the bike shop...I may need somewhere else to sleep if my wife ever finds out how much the bike was :pac:

Friday

Run - 5Km @ 5:58min/Km, 144bpm

Saturday

Run - 16Km @ 6:26min/Km, 138bpm

Sunday

Buggy run - 10Km @ 6:39min/Km, 136bpm. This and yesterday's run had me exhausted for some reason. Needed a brief nap on both days and went to bed really early on Saturday night too. :confused: Legs felt really tired when I woke up so spent some time doing some stretching/rolling and it helped get them to a state where I felt ok running on them.

Total
    Run - 56Km
    Cycling - Nothing worth discussing

Date|Avg |Mile 1 |Mile 2|Mile 3|Mile 4|Mile 5
    12/5/20|9:18|9:01|9:07|9:23|9:36|9:26
    9/6/20|9:22|9:09|9:11|9:29|9:38|9:28

Happy fathers day, hope your sock draw got it's annual top up of novelty socks :P

Early in the week went well and was uneventful. Later in the week threw some curveballs at me but I adapted and worked through them. Got out for 1 productive cycle which felt great. Another week with 6 days running and at the end of it, even with the few issues I ran in to, the body feels ok. As per usual, looking forward to the rest day tomorrow. :)

Monday

Rest day - light cycle during the day

Tuesday

Run - 8.8Km @ 6:00min/Km, 134bpm

Wednesday

Run - 8.8Km @ 6:08min/Km, 138bpm

Cycle - 80mins, 36Km, 134bpm - lovely cycle around Dublin west. Roads were relatively quiet and weather was good. Love me some cycling.

Thursday

Run - 8.8Km @ 6:35min/Km, 140bpm - this was the toughest run I've had in a very long time. Cycle the night before was later than I would've liked and then had to deal with our youngest being up crying even later. Sleep was much less than usual so when I woke up I felt awful. Once I hit the road the HR was incredibly high compared it to where it normally is and pace dropped right down. Any little incline in the road immediately had the HR spiking. Struggled to get it done as it felt really demoralizing running at that pace when the past 6 weeks have gone well but got to the end thankfully. At some stage throughout the day, I got a twinge in my right calf so took it easy the rest of the day.

Friday

Run - 5.5Km @ 6:58min/Km, 137bpm - after the previous day's poor run and funky calf I decided to run this on grass to test the water for the long run on Saturday. Body still really tired and pace was much higher due to how HR was reacting to effort. I guess this stuff comes with the territory with regards to HR training whereas if I was running to pace I may have struggled even more.

Saturday

Run - 17.6Km @ 6:20min/Km, 135bpm - HR and calf much better for this as is reflected in the slightly quicker pace than the previous couple of days.

Sunday

Run - 6Km @ 5:57min/Km, 133bpm
    Run - 5Km @ 5:57min/Km, 139bpm

This was supposed to be an 11Km run but I got really bad gut issues in the morning so cut it short. Got the remainder done in the evening. Felt really good during both as HR and pace shows. No issues with the calf either during the run or throughout the day. Even though it wasn't supposed to be, it was my first time doing a double and body seems ok.

Total
    Run - 60.5Km
    Cycle - 36Km

Happy with how this week went, even with the unscheduled rest day on Friday. More cycling this week which was great, hoping to keep that up going forward. Down week this week with the running side of things so may try get an extra cycle (or two) in.

Monday

Rest day - had a quick visit to my physio to check on a small issue with one of my hips. Nothing major, back to doing some body weight S&C drills to help it along.

Tuesday

Run - 10Km @ 6:17min/Km, 138bpm - Uneventful, don't recall anything from it.

Wednesday

Cycle - 85mins, 38Km, 132bpm - Early morning spin in Dublin west. Conditions were good for this, would've stayed out had I begun earlier but needed to get home to get the young lads up and ready for the day.

Run - 10Km @ 6:14min/km, 142bpm - Tough enough run with the heat whilst trying to keep the hear rate low.

Thursday

Cycle - 125mins, 53Km, 132bpm - very enjoyable spin around Howth head early in the morning. Nothing but runners and cyclists out that early so the roads were clear enough. Managed to keep the HR in touch going up howth head which was something I was concerned about.

Run - 10Km @ 6:41min/Km, 143bpm - tougher run than yesterday's, struggled with the heat/humidity/calmness. Fatigue from early morning cycle was also likely a factor.

Friday

Rest day - Unschedule rest day, was due to get in a 6Km run but between fatigue from previous 2 days, work and family I never got it done. Was tempted to do it late on Friday night but felt it would've had a knock on effect to Saturday's run so decided to rest.

Saturday

Run - 19.5Km @ 6:03min/Km, 138bpm - Much more enjoyable than the previous 2 runs. Weather was much more favourable for running. I'd actually planned on switching this with Sunday's run but felt really good for the first 10Km or so went back to the original plan.

Sunday

Run - 12Km @ 6:12min/Km, 139bpm. Bit of a wet and windy run but felt grand throughout. Delighted to finish out the week well.

Total
    Run - 61Km
    Cycle - 91Km

Down week this week. Quite an easy week in from an effort pov and don't remember much from the runs. Only thing that stands out is the MAF test result which again was slower. Got it out of the way 3 days earlier than scheduled as had anniversary celebrations to deal with yesterday/today so wasn't sure how fatigued I'd be going in to it on Tuesday. Neither mad nor disappointed in the result of it, it's the time I deserve given the lack of focus in other areas (diet being main one) so I'm going to focus things from tomorrow. Still enjoying getting out which is important.

Monday

Cycle - 80 mins, 35Km, 133bpm. Picked up a new Garmin cycling computer so took it out for a test ride.

Tuesday

Run - 6.4Km @ 6:23min/Km, 136bpm.

Wednesday

Run - 6.4Km @ 6:11min/Km, 141bpm.

Thursday

Run - 6.4Km @ 6:14min/Km, 140bpm.

Friday

Run - 4.2Km @ 6:10min/Km, 138bpm.

Saturday

Run - 2Km warmup, MAF Test #3 - 8.05Km @ 5:56min/Km, 145bpm. 3Km warm down. FIrst test I cycled down, second one I drove to and warmed up in the park. This time I jogged down. Perhaps I'll cycle down to the next one and see how I fair again.

Sunday

Run - 8.1Km @ 5:59min/Km, 138bpm.

Total
    Run - 44Km
    Cycle - 35Km

Date|Avg |Mile 1 |Mile 2|Mile 3|Mile 4|Mile 5
    12/5/20|9:18|9:01|9:07|9:23|9:36|9:26
    9/6/20|9:22|9:09|9:11|9:29|9:38|9:28
    4/7/20|9:32|9:15|9:26|9:38|9:48|9:34

• Advertisement

Good week all round with running and diet being very good. Made big healthy adjustments to the diet on Monday and kept them consistent throughout the week. Didn't get an initial weigh in till the Tuesday so going to wait till Tuesday this week to see how the first week actually went. Only meal I can't quantify for the entire week is the Irish mammy's Sunday dinner which I can only imagine comes close to about 2,000 calories.

Moved to a 7 day running schedule. Going to try get more runs on grass to minimise impact on the body to facilitate the 7 days of running. First week felt fine. Due to either (or both?) the change in diet or extra day of running, the runs during the week felt a little tougher so going to keep an eye on that going forward. Weekend runs felt really good, particularly the longer one on Sunday when I fell in to a good rhythm for the mid-end of it.

Minimal cycling this week which was the plan with the extra day of running. Will slowly add in more as this new schedule progresses.

Monday

Run - 5Km @ 6:55min/Km, 135bpm - This was the additional run added during the week. Ran it on grass to take it easy on the body.

Tuesday

Run - 9Km @ 6:27min/Km, 133bpm.

Wednesday

Run - 9Km @ 6:32min/Km, 143bpm - Another grass run.

Thursday

Run - 9Km @ 6:39min/Km, 141bpm.

Cycle - 65mins, 29Km, 132bpm.

Friday

Run - 5.6Km @ 6:54min/Km, 141bpm. More grass running.

Saturday

Run - 11.5Km @ 6:12min/Km, 139bpm.

Sunday

Run - 18.3Km @ 6:11min/Km, 140bpm.

Total
    Run - 67Km
    Cycle - 29Km

Happy with how the week went. Got a 10Km PB mid week. Even though the plan was to run a marathon on the day DCM would've happened, I got signed up to the virtual event. Did a lot more stretching and foam rolling this week which I feel helped a lot. Diet not as good as prior, steady the ship on this tomorrow. No cycling but that was down to having some study to get done for work which will likely run for the next 5-6 weeks.

Monday

Run - 5.6Km @ 6:34min/Km, 133bpm - easy run on grass to start the week.

Tuesday

Run - 9.9Km @ 6:11min/Km, 139bpm - Nice run through Tymon Park which saw me struggle to find the exit up on the Greenhills side. Eventually got out and home :)

Wednesday

Run - 10Km TT - 47:28 @ 4:44min/Km, 172bpm - This was an impromptu TT. Typically when I look to blow off some steam (which was badly needed) I'll jump on the bike and head up to the hills for some suffering but opted this time to go for a 10Km TT as it was over a year since I actually raced the distance (51:14) and it was a 10Km stretch within DCHM 2019 which was recorded as my fastest 10Km time on Strava - 49:19. Not doing a full blow by blow. I'd not planed the route so when I decided to turn in to Bushy Park along the dodder it felt like a good idea till I realised I'd have to go up that hill behind the playground, this blew any chance of a kick at the end out of the water. About mid-end of 6Km I started to feel like I was going to have to hang on. The head and humidity had started to take hold. Finished right outside my folks so dropped in for some water and a lift home :D Initially afterwards the achilles felt tender on right side so took it very easy for the rest of the day.

I'll plan out the route better for another go in about 2 weeks for a virtual South Dublin 10Km as part of my build up to virtual DCM. I'll also be wearing a more appropriate set of runners as max cushion is probably not the best for a fast 10Km. Happy with the time as I'm not doing any speed/interval training right now. I think I can get it down to 46:xx in a few weeks if I plan and execute it well.

Thursday

Run - 6.3Km @ 7:28min/Km, 121bpm - Doms from yesterday in quads/hams/glutes made this a very easy run on grass in Marlay park. Achilles was fine today.

Friday

Run - 10Km @ 6:23min/Km, 130bpm - Doms still there from TT, took it relatively easy.

Saturday

Run - 12.5Km @ 6:03min/Km, 137bpm - Nice run, a bit warm but humidity was fine.

Sunday

Run - 20Km @ 6:05min/Km, 140bpm - Felt good for most of it, from 17Km onwards it was tough. No doms but legs just felt tired. Pace dropped off a little and got through it.

Total
    Run - 74.3Km
    Cycle - 0Km

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Nice week, fair play on that 10k especially that hill in bushy park up from the pond, thats steep.

This was the last of 3 up weeks before an easy upcoming week. First 80Km/50mile week since before Donadea so felt good to be able to get through that mileage and over 7 days too. I'm on 4 weeks of consecutive running with no ill effects on the body.Only a few casual cycles this week so nothing to write home on from that front.

Monday

Run - 6Km @ 6:47min/Km, 130bpm - recovery run on grass.

Tuesday

Run - 11Km @ 6:26min/Km, 139bpm - another easy grass run, this time around Marlay park. Was unsure if I'd get a chance to hit the parks later in the week so opted for grass again.

Wednesday

Run - 11Km @ 6:04min/Km, 140bpm - Can't remember much from this.

Thursday

Run - 11Km @ 5:57min/Km, 139bpm - Felt really really good during this run, with some room to give in the HR range too. Would've liked to keep running but a lot of Kms to get through at the end of the week.

Friday

Run - 7Km @ 6:30min/Km, 127bpm - recovery run around bushy park, was lovely down there in the morning time.

Saturday

Run - 13Km @ 6:12min/Km, 135bpm - Ran to/from Tymon parkrun. Was feeling fine till last few Km when stomach started acting up, would've liked another Km to the total but was a good week in the end so another Km wouldn't have made much of a difference.

Sunday

Run - 22Km @ 6:15min/Km, 142bpm - Ran to/from Marlay and Bushy parkruns. Opted for path/pavement where possible to get as much benefit in the legs as possible as it's a down week coming up. Last couple of KMs were tough as HR was elevated so slowed down a bit to keep within range as much as possible.

Total
    Run - 81m
    Cycle - 0Km

Got a virtual 10Km TT to do this week as it would've been when South Dublin 10Km occurred and I'm trying to stick to the original DCM training schedule. Unsure which day I'm going to do it or at what time but hoping to improve on last week's effort and get in to the 46:xx range. Have my route planned out, just need to execute now.

py wrote: »
    ..... with no ill effects on the body..

Famous last words. Between DOMs and some strained tendons, it was an odd recovery week. Sleep wasn't great and can't even blame the kids on it as they were away for most of it. Need to get the sleep back to normal this coming week.

Monday

Run - 6Km @ 6:39min/Km, 138bpm - Recovery run on grass. Legs tired today after the late LSR the night before.

Tuesday

Run - 7Km @ 6:07min/Km, 140bpm - Woke up with some DOMs from Sunday's run, they feel really really dead.

Wednesday

Run - 7Km @ 6:00min/Km, 140bpm - Legs better today but given what tomorrow has in store, I think I pushed it too far even if I was within HR range.

Thursday

Run - 7Km @ 6:30min/Km, 138bpm - Tendon behind my left knee that stretches up to hamtsring (no idea of it's name, sorry) felt tight/sore. Went through the day hoping to shake it off with some stretching/rolling and opted not to call physio for an appointment asap.

Friday

Rest day - first rest day in a month. Tendon behind knee that stretches up the outside of the hamstring was at me again today so opted for a rest day. Unsure at this stage if TT on Saturday is going ahead. Got in touch with physio and arranged an appointment for middle of next week.

Saturday

Run 10Km TT @ 4:36min/Km, 177bpm - 45:59 - I stopped the watch at the end and it read 45:58.5 so strava can GTFO with it it's 46:00 for the activity :pac: Conditions were much better than a few weeks back, not as hot or as humid. No max comfort shoes, opted for the zoom flyknit. Got the route sorted, it's going to be an ever so slight drag for the first 5Km with a slight downhill for the remainder - Garmin said it was 43m up with 42m down. After doing some calculations, I opt for a very optimistic A goal for this TT of 45:xx with anything in 46:xx also an excelllent result. I knew that if I could get off to a good start and keep my pace under 4:44 I'd have no issue reaching the 46:xx mark.

1Km 4:15min - got off to a very slow start a few weeks back so gunned it (this for me is gunning it) to avoid regretting a slow start. First 1km goes off without issue.

2Km 4:39 - the ever so slight drag for the route kicks off at the end of the 1st Km so pace starts to slow. I move my watch to the HR page so that I can stop looking at it and focus on moving the body forward. Tough little bump up over the M50 so took it easy here.

3Km 4:42 - Trying to take it easy after the bump over the M50. Main goal for the first 1/2 is to keep the pace under the prior TT's 4:44min/Km. Mission accompished thus far.

4Km 4:42 - This is a unknown stretch of road when it comes to running. There's a bunch of road junctions that I need to traverse but it all goes off ok. Slight drag continues. Still keeping it under the 4:44min/Km.

5Km 4:38 - Drag starts to ease but still on an ever so slight upward trajectory. Even though I've not reached the halfway point at this stage, when I make the turn back towards the M50 it feels like I'm halfway done. I get the 1Km lap beep a few 100m down the road and I start to feel that a PB is witihin reach. Staying focused on form and breathing though.

6Km 4:38 - This is the last part of the upward drag but I keep pumping the legs. Feels good to get the last of the uphill drags complete. Body feels a little more relaxed one the ever so slight descent.

7Km 4:42 - 2 tricky enough road juntions to navigate here and one of the roundabouts a very generous motorist gave me the nod to shoot across.

8Km 4:31 - There's a nice solid downhill stretch during this Km so I try to take as much advantage of this as possible without blowing a gasket.

9Km 4:37 - Ever so slight downhill midway through this so again try and take advantage. Tired af at this stage. When I see the total elapsed time at the end of this Km I try to do some calculations on the fly to see if a 45:xx and come to the conclusion that is not on. (Facepalm!) I remain very happy/content that a 46:xx is on and thus a PB.

10Km 4:34 - There's a slight drag at the start of this Km so I push up it as much as possible. I'm running on the road now but there's a few junctions so I'm swapping sides every few 100m. I know there's not long to go so look down at my watch, 200m to go and the watch ticks over 45:00... f@£k me... there's a chance. I dig in knowing that top athletes can do 200m in under 20 secods.... I've got 59. I try and push my stride on further. Come on ta f@£k!!!! Tick tock tick tock. I don't have an idea where it's going to end so I'm waiting for the 1Km lap alert to beep. Still pushing. Turn the corner into my estate and eventually hear the beep. I stop the timer immediaely ... 45:58.5. BEAUTY!!!! 2 people who are chatting at the virtual finish line must have been wondering who/what I was running from :P Delighted with that result and am beaming for the rest of the day.

Not sure I could've given more. There was a bit of switching from sides to sides on the roads and hopping up/down from curbs but dunno if that would've affected the time by much. Looking forward to the 10 miler at the end of August, FD10 was a sh!tshow last year. The route I ran is what I'm planning on using for all of the virtual races with virtual DCM being the route x 4 so I'll be running by home to collect fluid/food.

45:59 is a 5:20min improvement from Dublin Night Run at the end of April 2019 which is my only 10Km race that I've done. Pretty happy with that considering I've not been doing any speed/interval work.

Sunday

Rest day - legs are beat up today. Ended up doing DIY for most of the day so not entirely a rest day but no running. Almost had some motivation to go out an hour ago but decided to sit down instead. Back running tomorrow for sure.

Total
    Run - 38Km for he week is about 20Km short of the target but given how the legs were feeling and that a PB was got, I'm content.
    Cycle - Nadda again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done on the 10k time :)

Couple of weeks to catch up on. Week before last went well. Physio mid way through the week to get a couple of things checked. Left quad/hip was tight but has been good since as I was concerned heading in to a couple of big mileage weeks (for me anyway) of 80Km/88Km/96Km ahead.

Monday

7Km @ 6:59min/Km, 125bpm. Did this late in the evening in Phoenix park. Body was still tired after the 10Km TT so took it easy. Would get to the park more if it was closer, really enjoyable running around it.

Tuesday

10.5Km @ 6:40min/Km, 134bpm. Another evening run, opted to run Marlay parkrun forwards/reverse and just about made it out of the park before the gates were closed.

Wednesday

10Km @ 6:13min/Km, 137bpm. Ran this in early afternoon as I needed to shift the running schedule back to early morning gradually.

Thursday

10Km @ 6:37min/Km, 135bpm. Morning run, out and back to Bushy park with some laps around the fields and the forest there. Enjoyable but given the shift back to morning run with less than 24 hours recovery for the past 2 runs, the body was feeling tired.

Friday

7Km @ 6:44min/Km, 130bpm. Recovery run on grass around Marlay park.

Saturday

20.5Km @ 6:20min/Km, 138bpm. I ran to/from Tymon and Bushy parkruns.

Sunday

14.5Km @ 6:14min/Km, 139bpm. To/from Marlay parkrun. Got this done as early as possible as we were travelling to Cork that morning.

Total
    Run - 80Km
    Cycle - Nadda.

Lovely running along Youghal beach for most of this week before getting back to Dublin for long runs at the weekend.

Monday

8Km @ 5:57min/Km, 135bpm. First day running down in Cork, started in Youghal town and ran down around the beach. Very tranquil.

Cycled out and back on the Dungarvan greenway for a 20Km round trip with the family which was very enjoyable. Great weather for it.

Tuesday

11Km @ 6:16min/Km, 136bpm. Same route as yesterday with an added loop down by the beach.

Wednesday

11Km @ 6:24min/Km, 135bpm. Out and back beach run this time. Hopped in the water towards the end which freshened up the legs.

Thursday

11.2Km @ 6:05min/Km, 137bpm. Same as day before with out the splash in the water. Travel back to Dublin later that day.

Friday

8Km @ 6:22min/Km, 127bpm. Recovery run around Marlay park on the grass.

Saturday

22.5Km @ 6:15min/Km, 134bpm. Covered DCM route from the Coombe right across to Orwell Park. Was really happy to compare training runs from last year to this year and seeing improvements on HR/pace. Spent a good 5-6 hours after a brief nap painting, great for recovery. :rolleyes:

Sunday

16.5Km @ 6:13min/Km, 136bpm. Last 5-6Km were tough enough on the legs. Broke in another new pair of Glycerins, the other 2 pairs hopefully have a few 100Kms left in them though.

Total
    Run - 88Km
    Cycle - 20Km

Excited to get to this week and see how the body would hold up. Body was very tired from the prior week and this week got off to a sluggish enough start. 96Km for the week is the largest mileage I've run so to get through it without injury is a huge boost for me. Fully expecting to be tired for a couple of more days but upcoming week is a down week with a 10 mile TT to come on Saturday.

Next week's 10 mile TT will be the first time running the distance since FD10 2019 (1:24:39) so my expectation is to come away with a PB under the 1:20:00 mark. Somewhere around 1:17:xx-1:18:xx would be good I think.

Monday

8.5Km @ 6:45min/Km, 130bpm. Recovery run on the grass in Bushy Park. Absolutely bucketing down from start to finish.

Tuesday

12.5Km @ 6:09min/Km, 133bpm. Legs were pretty tired after the previous week, not a great start to the week with a big week of mileage ahead.

Wednesday

12.5Km @ 6:03min/Km, 133bpm. Same route as Tuesday, legs still tired. This is going to be a long week.

Thursday

12.5Km @ 6:09min/Km, 140bpm. Same route again, legs tired. :mad:

Friday

8Km @ 6:33min/Km, 130bpm. Recovery run on grass near home. Felt sluggish throughout but body felt good later in the day.

Saturday

25Km @ 6:19min/Km, 135bpm. Longest run in some time. Felt ok after 15Km, legs began tiring then. I knew when I planned the route the last 5-6Km drag from Portobello Bridge to home was going to be tough and it lived up to expectations. Got the 25Km done and sat on the wall a bit away from the house to gather myself.

Sunday

17Km @ 5:59min/Km, 144bpm. I left this till the afternoon to allow a few hours extra recovery after the previous day's long run. Started off with a trip up Stocking lane which wasn't too bad though keeping HR under control was tough. Last 5Km of this was pretty challenging, legs were burnt at this stage of the week.

Total
    Run - 96Km
    Cycle - Nadda

Great week, building up nicely!

Was tired for the first few runs of this week after the prior 3 weeks of increased mileage. A few easy runs and the legs and mind started to freshen up though it did feel mentally challenging to get through some of the Kms. Between the MAF test result on Tuesday and the TT result on the Saturday, finally feels like the low HR approach is working for me. Looking forward to the next few weeks where I've got 3 weeks up followed by a down week with a virtual Half at the tail end of what will be the final full 4 week cycle prior to virtual DCM. One day at a time though, plenty of running left to do. Right now, one can at a time to round out a good day. :pac:

Monday

5Km @ 7:45min/Km, 137bpm. Felt great for the first 4Km of this and then bumped in to a buddy whom I spent talking to for ~10 minutes before knocking the last Km out.

Tuesday

8.05Km @ 5:41min/Km, 145bpm. I'd not planned on doing a MAF test but got off to a good start with body responding well so ran with it to see how it went. Ended up an improvement (finally!!!) on the MAF result though it wasn't the usual route so I'm going to have to line up the time to get it done on the usual route around Bushy park. I've updated my MAF results table but included an asterisk to this effort until I validate my fitness on the usual route. I'm also not sure if I should be tapering for the test, not found any info on that online.

Wednesday

8.5Km @ 6:11min/Km, 138bpm. Can't recall anything about this run other than it's on strava.

Thursday

8Km @ 6:37min/Km, 131bpm. Took it real easy for this run and finished out the last few Km on grass.

Friday

Rest day - took this off with 10mile TT the next day.

Saturday

10 mile TT @ 4:43min/Km 172bpm. 1:15:54 for a PB by 8:45.
    • Warmup - 0.5Km warmup and some activation drills
    • 1Km - 4:31 - Got off to a good start but not overly quick like I did for the 10Km a few weeks back. First of 3Kms to be on a slight drag so made sure to keep it under control.
    • 2Km - 4:44 - Still on this slight drag so maintaining focus on effort and ensuring I'm not getting in the red.
    • 3Km - 4:46 - This is the toughest part of this initial drag with some parts hitting almost 5%. I run a bit here so know the terrain well so I know when to go and when to back off. Feeling in control at this early stage.
    • 4Km - 4:34 - Terrain levels off and begins to descend ever so slightly. Pace picks up slightly but ensure I remain in control.
    • 5Km - 4:33 - Still on the slight descent back towards the end of the first small loop. Very much feeling good. Running on the road as much as possible as roads seem to be quiet today.
    • 6Km - 4:33 - This is probably the only fully flat stretch (which is run again in the 15th Km) throughout so to feel good along here whilst running a good Km time felt good.
    • 7Km - 4:45 - Start up the slight drag as per 1st Km again. At the end of this Km my hamstrings are saying hello :p
    • 8Km - 5:01 - This is the slowest Km of the lot so when I see the alert to say it ticket over the 5 minute mark I did an evaluation of where I was at physically. My form wasn't at all right so I got the arms swinging properly again and slowly over the next few Km started to feel a bit better.
    • 9Km - 4:55 - Still going every so slightly uphill and focusing on form. I completely forgot to turn at the end of this Km for a brief detour through an estate but was so focused on working on my form that I forgot.
    • 10Km - 4:56 - Last of the uphill drag and the turn for what should be 5Km but I see 6Km remaining and dunno why that is :rolleyes: Feeling ok but concerned that the Kms are closer to the 5 minute mark than they are to the 4:45-4:50 range.
    • 11Km - 4:45 - This Km goes sllightly down and back up so I knew I could coast through and hopefully get back on target.
    • 12Km - 4:48 - Biggish crossroads halfway through this Km but only had to drop off the pace slightly to make it through unscathed. Kept going. At this stage I'm not too far from the finish... or at least where the finish should've been :rolleyes:
    • 13Km - 4:48 - Just need to make it through a crossroads and roundabout in this Km and the remaining distance will be relatively stress free from a traffic pov. Legs are tired. Still very much focused on form pumping the arms/legs.
    • 14Km - 4:41 - This is the easiest section (for the 2nd time) of the lot. Pretty much all on path so easy to navigate and slightly downhill. Felt good seeing the pace drop when the Km alert came.
    • 15Km - 4:27 - Home straight now, running on the road for most of this and am feeling strong. Know I can throw a bit more at it now that there's not much to go...look at my watch, why is there so much left? I should be finishing right about now!!! Felt good seeing the time for this Km.
    • 16Km - 4:35 - Didn't realise my navigational error till after the run but I just get on with it and take a turn off the main road to a much quieter area so I can hopefully power through the remaining distance.
    • 0.09Km - 0:24 (4:17 pace) - Last Km alert goes and I try my best to sprint as hard as I can. The distance had been ticking down and with on the fly calculations (which have been poor in the past) I had an idea that I could get under 1:16. Watch starts beeping that the workout is almost over, keep pumping the legs and arms and hear the final beep to see the time and am exhausted but thrilled. Ended up completing the run in the car park of the local pub... but it was closed :p Had it been open I'd have gone in and ordered a pint regardless of how disheveled I looked after the run.

Delighted with how it went. I knew a PB would happen but didn't expect that much of a jump from last year. Big improvement on last year's FD10 which didn't go well due to the hot conditions on the day. Conditions couldn't have been better this time though. This distance (and longer) feels more enjoyable than the 5Km/10Km, less time spent hanging on for dear life I guess. :p Though I did kind of spend the latter part of the run wondering if the legs would just fail on me. Few niggles from today which may very well disappear after a couple of sleeps but booked in for physio on Monday just to give the legs the once over.
    py wrote: »
    Next week's 10 mile TT will be the first time running the distance since FD10 2019 (1:24:39) so my expectation is to come away with a PB under the 1:20:00 mark. Somewhere around 1:17:xx-1:18:xx would be good I think.

In retrospect, it feels like the above is top notch sandbagging but genuinely didn't expect to be able to come away with that PB. I input my 5Km time (boards TT) at the time of running it through the calculator from the grad thread and it gave me a time of 1:16:57 and I didn't expect to even reach that as I've put faith in calculators before only for them to bite me.

Sunday

Rest day - this is going to be a rest day tomorrow. Perhaps some light cycling/walking with the boys but nothing more strenuous than that.

Total
    Run - 96Km
    Cycle - Nadda

No.|Date|Avg |Mile 1 |Mile 2|Mile 3|Mile 4|Mile 5
    1|12/5/20|9:18|9:01|9:07|9:23|9:36|9:26
    2|9/6/20|9:22|9:09|9:11|9:29|9:38|9:28
    3|4/7/20|9:32|9:15|9:26|9:38|9:48|9:34
    4|25/8/20*|9:09|9:34|8:53|8:42|9:14|9:23

Monday

8Km @ 6:53min/Km, 129bpm. Recovery run with half of it on grass around Bushy Park. Had physio later in the day to work out some doms from the TT the previous Saturday.

Tuesday

11.5Km @ 6:03min/Km, 136bpm. Uneventful lunchtime run.

Wednesday

Unscheduled rest day - pretty horrid night's sleep left me wiped for the day. Almost got out late in the day but decided to get to bed early.

Thursday

11.5Km @ 5:54min/Km, 138bpm. Other than covering new ground it was uneventful.

Friday

5Km @ 6:07min/Km, 135bpm. Only a short run but probably should've been slower and done on grass to prep for the weekend runs ahead.

Saturday

26Km @ 6:25min/Km, 141bpm. Ran to/from Phoenix Park to do a lap of the park. This was a challenging enough run, don't think I fueled enough before getting out for it. Tried out some Maurten gels which worked out well.

Sunday

17Km @ 6:27min/Km, 138bpm. Ran to/from Marlay Park to get the parkrun done up there. Felt ok for most of it till the last 1/4 where the legs were heavy/achy.

Total
    Running - 79Km - should've been at the 90Km mark but missed midweek run :rolleyes:
    Cycling - about 30Km of very easy cycling but no workouts.

Bit annoyed with the missed run but got the other 6 runs for the week done. Physio on Monday went well and got some work done on adductors due to them being tight for a while now. Have scheduled massage for each of the next 4 weeks as the mileage is going to big (for me) and I want to ensure the legs are kept in good condition during the business end of this marathon training cycle. Schools being back is awesome but scheduling runs between school runs and work is proving tough during the week ... I'll get it sorted for this week though.

Monday

8Km @ 6:48min/Km, 134bpm. Recovery run on grass.

Tuesday

13Km @ 6:07min/Km, 136bpm. Felt really good during this run even if it was late in the evening.

Wednesday

13Km @ 6:04min/Km, 136bpm. Another evening run, felt really good again during this.

Thursday-Sunday

Unscheduled break - One of the boys had a temperature for a brief period on Wednesday so it was decided by the medical expertise we use that he should go get covid tested. This has lead to all being on lockdown at home. Wife is also dealing with her own injury which means she's off work which in turn means I'm off work looking after the boys. The young lad which is due to get tested has been bouncing around here for 48 hours. Grateful the weather has been good so we can burn off their energy in the garden. We feel it's a common cold though we've taken the covid stuff pretty seriously since it began so we're following orders. He's getting tested on Sunday and hopefully results back on Monday. No running until Monday evening at the earliest. If it comes back positive, then I'd imagine I'll be out of action for 2 weeks which may lead me to begin running the back garden. The lack of running is a first world problem but frustrating nonetheless.

Total
    Running - 34Km
    Cycling - Nadda

18 of the 24 weeks of this training block complete. 1,100Kms run. 108 of the 114 runs completed with the 6 missed runs totalling 80Km. On paper that looks good thus far... trying to convince myself of it after 4 days off my feet. :(

As expected, young lad's result came back negative. Running once again. :)

Feels like I should be happier with this week but I'm just bloody tired and fed up with being tired. I'd say I was a hoot to be around all week. I'd hoped to post my plans/thoughts for taper in a few weeks but I'll post about it in a few days. Lower body just aches all over. Still need to muster up the energy to go shower after this evening's run. Physio on Tuesday to alleviate the doms. Down week ahead, praise jebus.

Monday

10Km @ 5:55min/Km, 143bpm. Young lad's results came in at around lunch time and the four of us couldn't wait to get out the door. The eldest lad joined me on his bike and I was just thrilled to be out running again.

Tuesday 14Km @ 6:24min/Km, 141bpm.
    Wednesday 14Km @ 6:25min/Km, 136bpm.
    Thursday 14Km @ 6:07min/Km, 138bpm.

3 really dull midweek runs. New life schedule is not conducive to anything over 10Km during the week so felt tired/dull/annoyed after these. I could probably get these done at 5:30/6am, I just don't have the desire/motivation to get up that early like I did during the winter months.

Friday

5Km @ 7min/Km, 134bpm. Recovery on grass with my running buddy that I ran with most of last winter. He's slowly getting back in to things. Was good to have a bit of company to shoot the **** with. Looks like it'll be a regular thing which is welcome. He opted to sit out the 20 miler on the Saturday though. :P

Saturday

32Km @ 6:27min/Km, 143bpm. Average HR doesn't really tell the full story. HR was doing well till the bottom of Booterstown avenue but as I started descending and seeing the pace whilst keeping it within my usual HR ranges, I decided to ignore HR to just get the remainder of the run done. Legs were tired at this stage so keeping at around 6:30min/Km was tiring but there were a few times I'd to run to make traffic lights and the legs responded well so felt good about that.

Sunday

17Km @ 6:21min/Km, 134bpm. Sh!t run was sh!t. After skipping out on family stuff to get the 20 miler done the day before, I needed to be available to help out at home and give the OH a well deserved break from the 2 monsters. Ended up starting the run at a little after 8pm and the legs and head weren't in it from the start. Was supposed to be a 2 lap course, got the first one done and decided I'd improvise my route for the remainder which was a big mistake. Had about 2Km left to do to hit the weekly target and just stopped. No injuries and the leg aches weren't too bad, just felt like I didn't want to run.

Total
    Running - 106Km
    Cycling - Few spins on the commuter, can't even remember the last time I'd a decent spin :( New bike also not coming till the new year :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Some great stuff going on here. You're getting lots of miles in and you've a couple of decent TT's under the belt too. You're in a good spot coming up your virtual DCM.

Just an observation on a couple of your Sunday runs. You've followed up a couple of big LR's on the Saturday, 3 hours or 3 hours+ efforts with a couple of long enough efforts on the Sunday. In the last couple you've complained of being tired and struggling towards the end of these runs. Are those distances prescribed in your plan? Or is your Sunday run trying to tick off an arbitrary total distance for the week? There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of recovery going on in those runs anyway.

• Advertisement

healy1835 wrote: »
    Some great stuff going on here. You're getting lots of miles in and you've a couple of decent TT's under the belt too. You're in a good spot coming up your virtual DCM.

Just an observation on a couple of your Sunday runs. You've followed up a couple of big LR's on the Saturday, 3 hours or 3 hours+ efforts with a couple of long enough efforts on the Sunday. In the last couple you've complained of being tired and struggling towards the end of these runs. Are those distances prescribed in your plan? Or is your Sunday run trying to tick off an arbitrary total distance for the week? There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of recovery going on in those runs anyway.

Thanks for the reply healy1835. I wanted to take a look over last year's DCM novices thread to get an idea of what fatigue levels were like for me at this stage 12 months ago before replying. It looks like I experienced similar fatigue at this stage of the plan, albeit there's significantly more mileage (biggest week: 2019 - 65Km, 2020 - 106Km) and training days (2019 - 4, 2020 - 7) this year. The other difference is that 2019 was a 2up/1down program whereas I'm doing 3up/1down in 2020.

There's no arbitrary mileage goal apart from my weekly schedule. The theory, based on what I've read/heard, behind the back to back LSRs is to help with endurance. Monday & Friday's have been my recovery runs since I introduced a 6th and 7th day in my to weekly schedule. All of my runs apart from the TTs are run to HR based on the maffetone method. I think the only other exception to that has been the hills in the 20 miler this past Saturday.

Just under 5 weeks to go and this is what the remaining schedule looks like. The result from this week's 1/2 TT (2019 1/2 was 1:47:30) is what I'm hoping to base my virtual DCM pace off. Once I've an idea of PMP, I'm planning to integrate some PMP in to the Saturday LSR in the remaining weeks.

Week|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday|Total
    5|6.4|9.3|9.3|9.3|Rest|1/2 TT|Rest|55.2
    4|8.9|12|12|12|8.9|32|18.7|104.5
    3|6.7|9|9|9|6.7|24|14|78.4
    2|4.5|6|6|6|Rest|16|7|45.5
    1|Rest|4.8|4.8|4.8|Rest|4|DCM|56.6

Physio session yesterday went well with just some doms to work out.

Are you hitting the Phoenix Park or what is the route for the TT M?

Are you hitting the Phoenix Park or what is the route for the TT M?

Similar enough route to my prior virtual TTs and my run this morning. It'll be a 2 lap route with a slight diversion in around Speaker Connolly estate. I may swing by home to grab a gel or small bottle of water after lap 1 but undecided as of yet. It'll have 100m of up compared with 136m at DCHM (on my Strava anyway). PP may be quieter but not going to be possible logistically this weekend.

Monday

6.5Km @ 7:07min/Km, 129bpm. Recovery on grass. Body/mind still fatigued after the prior big week. Had company for the run so wasn't that much of a struggle.

Tuesday

9Km @ 6:09min/Km, 130bpm. Took it easy for this, still very fatigued and had physio later in the day. Physio went well, legs were still aching up until then.

Wednesday

9Km @ 6:12min/Km, 134bpm. Easy run covering most of what I was expecting for the TT on Saturday. Legs still not right after last week, even after the physio.

Thursday

9.5 @ 6:12min/Km, 141bpm. Same route as day before but got out early in the dark, cold and wet morning. It's been a long time since I got out this early and it felt good to get it done and duster prior to starting the day with family and then work. Mid left of my left quad was still aching, grabbed an epsom bath later in the evening which settled it over night.

Friday

Rest day - cycled in and out of city centre to grab a box of Maurten gels. Felt good to stretch the legs on the bike but I sure do not miss cycling around the city. Sad to see some of the cafes/restaurants in the city closed but I guess it's to be expected after almost 7 months of lock down. Settled in the end for the sausage roles in The Green Bench cafe which are a Friday only special, magnificent. :cool:

Saturday

1/2 TT (21.13Km according to strava) - 1:41:46 @ 4:49min/Km, 169bpm.

Got up at about 6:30am and grabbed some tea and toast with jam. Then the usual waiting game for the bowels to do their thing. :p During the wait, I finished off the book about John Delaney and the FAI, worth a read if you're anyway interested in how corporate governance of any organisation should not be done, ****show is an understatement.

After the recent 10Km (45:59) and 10mile (1:15:54) TTs, the recommended calculator from the grads thread had me down for a 1:41:22 (4:48min/Km) which I felt was slightly optimistic. I knew prior to the slight increase in pace during the 10mile TT, I was comfortable continuing at around the 4:50min/Km pace so I decided that my plan/goal for the 1/2 TT was to get trough the 16Km/10mile mark with an average of 4:50min/Km pace and see where I'm at then.

Got my usual activation drills (hips, glutes, hams and calves) done before leaving the house. Took a gel and then headed out whilst settling in to a light jog for a warmup and got down to start position.

0-5Km (4:40, 4:51, 4:55, 4:54, 4:53)
    Fairly uneventful first 5Km. I made sure to get out as close as possible to 8am to make sure the roads were as quite as possible as I wanted to run on road as much as possible. Most of this is flat to slight drag so happy to get through this just under overall average target pace.

6Km-10Km (4:42, 4:45, 4:45, 4:47, 4:47)
    The 2nd half of the loop is mostly downhill. I down a gel as the watch ticks 6Km. At about 7Km I almost turn my ankle on a cats eye, lucky to have dodged a bullet here. Watch ticks 10Km and I'm almost halfway there with a couple of seconds to spare on my average pace.

11Km-15Km (4:52, 4:56, 4:59, 4:54, 4:57)
    Back around to the drag section and the legs are feeling it. Still managing to hold targeted average pace of 4:50min/Km but I'm starting to have doubts if I can hold it till the end. Down another gel around the 12/13Km mark which is my last one for the run. Just needed to get through this 5Km section and I knew I'd know where I'm at then.

16Km-20Km (4:52, 4:50, 4:51, 4:34, 4:35)
    A few times I look at the watch, the average pace drops to 4:51min/Km, which is still on for a good PB but not what I want today. Ever so slight downhill till about 18Km where it decline increases. It's at the end of 18th Km that I see a runner up ahead that I know well so it gives me a bit of motivation to pick up the pace (what a running w@nker I am) as I catch up to and pass them! Kept that pace going through till the watch ticked 20Kms.

Final 1.1Km or so
    Struggled here to keep pace. Fighting till the very end and once again finished the TT in a pub car park. Was so out of breath at the end, took me a few minutes to gather myself. Felt I was going to vom at one stage.

Delighted with the PB for the 1/2. It was really close to what the calculator proposed but I knew myself that it would've been tough to nail that time.

I've some thinking to do now with regards to virtual DCM on what I think I can get out of it and what I should try to get out of it. Might post about it again in a few days when this wine has wore off.

Sunday

Rest day though we're due to be walking around Dublin zoo. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Really great half time M, you're flying along! Will you have company for your full attempt or what's the plan?

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Really great half time M, you're flying along! Will you have company for your full attempt or what's the plan?

Cheers V. I'm going to be doing it solo. I'm planning on setting up a pace alert which will be +/- 10 seconds from PMP to keep me on track throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done on your half PB, delighted for you :)

Well done on your half PB, delighted for you :)

Cheers E.

Right then, 4 weeks to go. One full week of running before the taper. Yesterday's 1/2 was the last TT before the full but I do have another 20 miler next Saturday. I plan on adding PMP but will see how the body is after the 1/2 before definitely doing some this week.

Week|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday|Total
    4|8.9|12|12|12|8.9|32|18.7|104.5
    3|6.7|9|9|9|6.7|24|14|78.4
    2|4.5|6|6|6|Rest|16|7|45.5
    1|Rest|4.8|4.8|4.8|Rest|4|DCM|56.6

The goal for the virtual DCM is sub 4 and I feel it's a much more realistic target this year.

This marathon prediction calculator was mentioned a number of times in last year's novices thread as being fairly good at predictions. I'm unsure how to rate my TTs in terms of fast/average/hard difficulty so I'm being conservative and inputting them as fast. The numbers I've input are as follows:

Weekly mileage - 45miles weekly average since I moved to 7 day/week running since start of July. This includes the upcoming week so hoping that goes to plan.
    1/2 TT - 1:41:44 with a Fast rating
    10Mile TT - 1:15:54 with a Fast rating.

This provides a predicted finish time of 3:50:40 which would be 5:28min/Km.

A sub 4 target comes in at 5:41min/Km which get you home at 3:59:48.

Taking a conservative approach, a PMP of 5:35min/Km is going to be my target which would result in 3:55:35 finishing time. It'll also allow me to adjust pace later on if required and have some time in the bank should I need it.

I want to get it right this year by running the entire thing and hopefully nailing the sub 4 goal so if anybody has thoughts/opinions on the above, I'd love to hear them.

I curiously input my numbers for last year's training and the calculator predicted 4:10 which would've been a better approach then trying to hang on to the 4 hour pacers and then coming undone. Lesson learned. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Huge well done on the Half at the weekend M, great running. It's great to see your progress, which is much deserved given the consistency of your training over the past 15 months or so. You'd have to think there would be another chunk off that in a proper race too?

Your time is a few minutes better than the two HM's I ran in the lead up to DCM last year (1:43 and 1:44), and I did DCM in 3:47. So, 3:55 seems a tad pessimistic, under normal circumstances at least. Given the TT aspect however, it does seem wise to not be too greedy with a target time.

Advertisement