Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Renault 19s - esp. phase 1 and TSE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I bought that brochure! I've a very big collection of R19 brochures etc which is helping me to put mine as close to the spec I'd like as possible. It helped me to pickup what was a Renault Boutique accessory car phone!

It's not fully finished but it's well on it's way. Its had a ceramic coating applied this week. I'll be picking it up tomorrow. I've the pictures here but I'm waiting for Taff to post them to his Facebook page first.

Currently, I've a few jobs to tackle which will be done over the next couple of weeks. Front brake calipers, discs and pads will all be changed, along with powersteering and fan belt. Also brake fluid and P/S fluid while I'm at it and finally I'll need to clean up the engine bay.

It's very clean underneath which is good.

Last thing I need to locate is a proper radio for it as some buttons are missing on mine. Window trims are hopefully coming from Spain once their lockdown is lifted.....they're like hens teeth.

I absolutely love it. I had a phase 1 convertible last year which I sold, sorry I did now. And I'm already on the look out for any 19 as my next project. I love them!

I'll post more pictures as it is now when I see them online.

And great to see all the 19 love, I assumed a 12 months ago when I started that everyone would think I was a moron for going to the lengths and expense I have.........well I am but at least the car is liked!

We just like Ph1.

Sorry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

colm_mcm wrote: »
    We just like Ph1.

Sorry :D

I never back the winning horse. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Nice one ba_barabus! IMO the phase 2 is more colour and wheel sensitive than the phase 1, I must admit that I'm not mad about the Turbine trims on the RSI and would prefer a set of 14 inch Zeniths. I think the below pic is of the 14 inchers. Back in the day I mainly saw these on phase 2 turbodiesels although the ones I saw might have been 13 inchers like those on the TSE.
    512829.jpg

Funny I like the turbine trims but a set of Zenith would be great. Can't find them sadly. I'm here unpacking a load of NOS parts I bought from a garage in the UK. Mainly just service items and a few boutique bits. Nothing exciting sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That looks like new, fair play!

Renault and PSA really knew how to make nice tail lights in the 90s, I don’t think anyone used black and red rear lights as often as the French.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That looks like new, fair play!

Renault and PSA really knew how to make nice tail lights in the 90s, I don’t think anyone used black and red rear lights as often as the French.

French cars of the 80s and 90s in general always looked handsome. They really went off the boil after 2000. Things are looking up however, Peugeot are especially on form right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

French cars of the 80s and 90s in general always looked handsome. They really went off the boil after 2000. Things are looking up however, Peugeot are especially on form right now.

Have to agree about Peugeot... A new 208 caught my eye in the local Aldi car park the other day, first one i've seen in the flesh.... Nice.

Oops! wrote: »
    Have to agree about Peugeot... A new 208 caught my eye in the local Aldi car park the other day, first one i've seen in the flesh.... Nice.

I'd genuinely consider a 208E in yellow bloody handsome looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Nice one ba_barabus! IMO the phase 2 is more colour and wheel sensitive than the phase 1, I must admit that I'm not mad about the Turbine trims on the RSI and would prefer a set of 14 inch Zeniths. I think the below pic is of the 14 inchers. Back in the day I mainly saw these on phase 2 turbodiesels although the ones I saw might have been 13 inchers like those on the TSE.
    512829.jpg

Alloys were nearly always 14's lower profile tyres so higher rim

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Funny I like the turbine trims but a set of Zenith would be great. Can't find them sadly. I'm here unpacking a load of NOS parts I bought from a garage in the UK. Mainly just service items and a few boutique bits. Nothing exciting sadly.

Wow...just WOW

• Advertisement

The Baccara wheel question may have been answered thanks to an ad on donedeal. My memory must be going, i'm familar with those wheels as they are on higher spec Megane Mk1 phase 2s but I didn't make the connection.

The Baccara on donedeal is fairly rough looking and it says it hasn't been NCT'd since 2007 but check out those seats!

Ad
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-19-baccara-1-4/24928077

Pics
    515199.jpeg

515200.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭bigroad

Nice spec seats for a small saloon car they are like armchairs.was the Baccarat the top spec possible with the 1.7 motor.
    Renault were a great company for giving a load of extras in the run out models without pumping up the price.

bigroad wrote: »
    Nice spec seats for a small saloon car they are like armchairs.was the Baccarat the top spec possible with the 1.7 motor.
    Renault were a great company for giving a load of extras in the run out models without pumping up the price.
    The Baccara in the Irish market was a 1.4, well there might have been Baccara diesels too but I don't think so. Anyway 1.4s and diesels were 99% of 19s on the roads here. I only ever saw a small handful of 16v cars and don't know if they were officially sold here or imported privately.

I never saw a 1.7/1.8 8 valve here but a poster earlier in the thread worked for a Renault dealer and said they sold a very small number of GTXs (phase 1 1.7) before they were dropped.

As can be seen from the 1989 pricelist I posted earlier it looks like we didn't get V6 versions of the Renault 25 and the overall Renault range here was pretty small.

All I can remember was the Renault 25 gts.maybe the gtx but no diesels .although I did hear a few 25s with conversions ,probably the 2.1 from the 18 or the later 21.

All I can remember was the Renault 25 gts.maybe the gtx but no diesels .although I did hear a few 25s with conversions ,probably the 2.1 from the 18 or the later 21.

25 s sold here were all 2.0 patrols, saw a French turbodiesel one once, used the 2.1 Trafic/18 engine, any conversions would have been from the 18GTD , the longitudely mounted 21s were scarce on the ground and 21diesels from the 1990 facelift up were 1.9 same as the 19.
    25 was actually a pretty good car, some bushing issues but nice old thing to drive and well specced ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Know a fella that had a 25 that was run on LPG one time, some bus.

The 25 was great - loved by most owners despite some build quality problems in the early days and auto gearboxes which had a bad rep.

A very economical car too for its size. A lot of them had the 103 bhp carb engine, steel wheels, rear drum brakes and yet there was more than a hint of "exotic" about the car. Not surprising I suppose given styling by Robert Opron and Marcello Gandini. The 19 and 21 were more understated.

The 25 was great - loved by most owners despite some build quality problems in the early days and auto gearboxes which had a bad rep.

A very economical car too for its size. A lot of them had the 103 bhp carb engine, steel wheels, rear drum brakes and yet there was more than a hint of "exotic" about the car. Not surprising I suppose given styling by Robert Opron and Marcello Gandini. The 19 and 21 were more understated.

21 was terrible car, bad coolant caused huge issues, seat frames fell apart, heater matrix leaked into the cabin, door locks failed, no power steering in most phase 1 models, front suspension shared most common parts with R5

They were nice and usually had the 20 TS badge but for me the 30 tx had the more aggressive look with the twin headlights and the v6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The Baccara on donedeal is fairly rough looking and it says it hasn't been NCT'd since 2007 but check out those seats!

What a throwback. Those seats were so comfy!

For the car you linked, are those the standard wheels for them?

I thought they came with the wheels the one in this advert has as standard, although it was 20 odd years ago since I last went in one regularly, so my mind could well be playing tricks on me!

He says in the advert that those wheels are from a 16v .

What a throwback. Those seats were so comfy!

For the car you linked, are those the standard wheels for them?
    My memory of the Baccara wheels was that they were "fancier" and had more spokes than the ones on that green saloon but that is probably just my memory playing up.

As bigroad said, the wheels on the car you linked to are phase 2 16v wheels and were not standard or optional on non 16v cars.

The PCD and offset on the 19 is the same as that on the Mk1 and Mk2 Clios and the Mk1 Megane (maybe excepting the Scenic) so lots of wheels fit. Some of the wider ones might foul the arch liners on full lock.

Oh yeah I see that Ba_barabus is not content with just one 19 and is looking for another to restore. That Baccara needs saving. Even if it can't be, it would yield lots of parts including possibly those seats and interior. Unfortunately I have not got the skills for restoration or the space for another car. Well I do have space but it would be on grass - and once I start with that I'll be on a slippery slope to becoming one of "those" lads with 20 Morris Marinas rotting into the ground in the back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

He says in the advert that those wheels are from a 16v .

Those wheels were fitted to my early '95 Baccara saloon.

I remember seeing them on quite a few at the time, assumed they came as standard, but perhaps they were an optional extra.

Those wheels were fitted to my early '95 Baccara saloon.

I remember seeing them on quite a few at the time, assumed they came as standard, but perhaps they were an optional extra.

95 was the run out year, think they came with alloys ,disc brakes and leather, dark green was the common colour , 25 years so slightly hazy

curvedxl wrote: »

The wee 5 petrol van sold quite well, sort of alternative to the mk3 Fiesta which was a big seller at the time, 47 bhp!

curvedxl wrote: »
    Thanks for posting that - confirms that the Supervan was a non turbo diesel, I don't see a 0-60 time in there but from other sources it is 15.7 seconds. A figure that was slow even back in the day yet many people including myself remember them as being one of the fastest vehicles on the road :) I had a couple of scary experiences as passenger in them, the fact that it is an old school noisy diesel probably made it seem faster again.

Are there any left? I haven't seen a 19 van on donedeal for years. I don't think they were sold in the UK so importing not an option.

• Advertisement

Haven't seen one around for years. Probably all driven into the ground like most vans.

Advertisement