Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

tamova wrote: »
    I'm a complete noob but I've bought in to KO (Coca Cola) for 46-47$. I can't see it not returning to it's pre-COVID level eventually, so I think it's a decent hold.

My first purchase Nike has gone up 18.2% since I bought in at 84.74$ :)
    KO is a decent one to hold. Pepsi recovered quickly, Coke is slower as it has more contracts in cinemas, restaurants, stadiums which are gonna be slower to reopen. Assuming they do reopen, the price will get back there. Just requires a little patience.

Starbucks and Nike are my 2 consumer brands I've picked for the recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 tamova

Shedite27 wrote: »
    KO is a decent one to hold. Pepsi recovered quickly, Coke is slower as it has more contracts in cinemas, restaurants, stadiums which are gonna be slower to reopen. Assuming they do reopen, the price will get back there. Just requires a little patience.

Starbucks and Nike are my 2 consumer brands I've picked for the recovery.

My thoughts exactly! I like Coke as it's pretty much stable, but will likely have some growth getting back to pre-covid.

Nike, I'm a little reluctant to invest any more in at current price. I could see it going below 100 again for a brief spell and if so I'd like to get some more shares.

I like Starbucks (who will likely have a larger share of the market due to smaller 'mom and pop' coffee stores closing) and Square.

I put away 15% of my salary in to Microsoft every month now (as I have ESPP 10% discount).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I'm a complete noob but I've bought in to KO (Coca Cola) for 46-47$. I can't see it not returning to it's pre-COVID level eventually, so I think it's a decent hold.

never sell those coca cola shares and buy more if they drop below $40 again , safer than money in the bank

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭inisfree0504

I'm also quite new to this game and have picked up some nice long-term holds. I originally bought Shell and it's currently up 47% :)

I held off on buying a lot of my other long-term picks thinking the bottom had not yet come. My biggest regret is Flutter - I had an order set when it was around €65 but got cold feet.

I picked up CRH and Diageo last month, and Coca-Cola and McDonalds last week. CRH is up nicely so far, but there's not been much movement in the others. I'm still relatively happy to keep them though regardless of how the next 3 months go. Finally, I bought Ryanair on Monday. It's one I would like to hold in the long run but not at the price I got in at. I'll sell as soon as it hits 14 and wait to see if it falls again.

Ironically enough I've made the most from the companies that were never on my 'wish list'. Because I never planned on keeping them long enough to see the 'real' bottom, I ended up buying at the right time and didn't have any great issue in getting rid. Bought tesla at 500, sold at 800, and took 40% on some pharma companies etc. The only 'risky' company I'm still holding is 4d Pharma. I'm down 35% on me but finding it very hard to let go. Does anyone know what the story is with it? My own fault for buying on a whim but I'm finding it hard to get any info online.

I'm also quite new to this game and have picked up some nice long-term holds. I originally bought Shell and it's currently up 47% :)

I held off on buying a lot of my other long-term picks thinking the bottom had not yet come. My biggest regret is Flutter - I had an order set when it was around €65 but got cold feet.

I picked up CRH and Diageo last month, and Coca-Cola and McDonalds last week. CRH is up nicely so far, but there's not been much movement in the others. I'm still relatively happy to keep them though regardless of how the next 3 months go. Finally, I bought Ryanair on Monday. It's one I would like to hold in the long run but not at the price I got in at. I'll sell as soon as it hits 14 and wait to see if it falls again.

Ironically enough I've made the most from the companies that were never on my 'wish list'. Because I never planned on keeping them long enough to see the 'real' bottom, I ended up buying at the right time and didn't have any great issue in getting rid. Bought tesla at 500, sold at 800, and took 40% on some pharma companies etc. The only 'risky' company I'm still holding is 4d Pharma. I'm down 35% on me but finding it very hard to let go. Does anyone know what the story is with it? My own fault for buying on a whim but I'm finding it hard to get any info online.

You seem to be doing really well. I wouldn't be comfortable with short term investments/flips just yet, as I'm still extremely novice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I picked up CRH and Diageo last month,

Well done.

My big regret was not buying CRH in March when the shorters pushed the price down to £15.75 only to see it rise back to £27 in just over two months. It was a toss of a coin to go for CRH or GSK. I had the buy button ready to purchase 6000 of one or the other. Although in truth I probably would have jumped ship before £20 on CRH taking a nice profit of £4 per share. Anyone who bought back in March and held on to them would have a very handsome profit of £12 per share. The brokers consensus was for CRH to go to £29.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭peterofthebr

My thoughts exactly! I like Coke as it's pretty much stable, but will likely have some growth getting back to pre-covid.

Nike, I'm a little reluctant to invest any more in at current price. I could see it going below 100 again for a brief spell and if so I'd like to get some more shares.

I like Starbucks (who will likely have a larger share of the market due to smaller 'mom and pop' coffee stores closing) and Square.

I put away 15% of my salary in to Microsoft every month now (as I have ESPP 10% discount).
    I put away 15% of my salary in to Microsoft every month now - thats allot..even with the discount are you not afraid of buying when the price is too high? i rem buying MSFT back at $25 -- thats the only way to make real money buy em cheap!

I put away 15% of my salary in to Microsoft every month now - thats allot..even with the discount are you not afraid of buying when the price is too high? i rem buying MSFT back at $25 -- thats the only way to make real money buy em cheap!

I think Microsoft will continue to grow in value well past what it is currently. IMO it's one of the most reliable stocks to own.

If it came down to it, and I couldn't afford to invest in any other stocks - I'd keep investing in to Microsoft above all others (with the 10% discount).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Well done.

My big regret was not buying CRH in March when the shorters pushed the price down to £15.75 only to see it rise back to £27 in just over two months. It was a toss of a coin to go for CRH or GSK. I had the buy button ready to purchase 6000 of one or the other. Although in truth I probably would have jumped ship before £20 on CRH taking a nice profit of £4 per share. Anyone who bought back in March and held on to them would have a very handsome profit of £12 per share. The brokers consensus was for CRH to go to £29.

Considering trimming my CRH position at current levels but have a "never sell" friend in my ear telling me not to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

I think Microsoft will continue to grow in value well past what it is currently. IMO it's one of the most reliable stocks to own.

If it came down to it, and I couldn't afford to invest in any other stocks - I'd keep investing in to Microsoft above all others (with the 10% discount).

Be careful not to let the internal company PR you are bombarded with override the true position of the company / market.

I was there and lost my shirt for the same reason.

BTW sitting here typing this on a surface laptop and pissed I didn't get into to MSFT months ago :)

AmberGold wrote: »
    Be careful not to let the internal company PR you are bombarded with override the true position of the company / market.

I was there and lost my shirt for the same reason.

BTW sitting here typing this on a surface laptop and pissed I didn't get into to MSFT months ago :)

I'm with you, I don't directly work for Microsoft, but a company they own. I just really think Microsoft is a giant in its field, and I don't imagine they will lose any of their grasp on the market. But again, this is just merely speculation on my end.

Articles like this also are promising: https://www.barrons.com/articles/microsoft-could-be-a-2-trillion-company-analyst-sees-gains-from-cloud-business-51591115603

https://www.investopedia.com/microsoft-stock-could-break-out-to-new-highs-4846614

With the discount alone and moderate growth, I think MFST is a great investment for me personally.

Also on my Surface laptop - LOVE IT! I'm gonna be distraught when I leave and they take it back lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Imagine what would happen if most of your investment is in the company you work for and the company goes into a sudden trouble. You lose both your investment and your employment at the same time. Less than ideal.
    There's also this behavioural argument that people are often not able to judge objectively their employers performance and potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah I have Microsoft in my portfolio over Apple. They're far more innovative in the past 5 years. Big investment in the Cloud stuff too (hoping to close the gap on AWS).

I sold my CRH recently.
    Bought 18th March @ 18.90
    Sold 1st June @32.68
    73% profit

It's up about 8% again this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ShareShare

I'm with you, I don't directly work for Microsoft, but a company they own. I just really think Microsoft is a giant in its field, and I don't imagine they will lose any of their grasp on the market. But again, this is just merely speculation on my end.

As a software developer in AWS who doesnt use MS, I can easily say that MS have alot of strong growth coming. They are doing very good things in the cloud space and their integration into the rest of the company makes them extremely attractive option. I foresee alot of growth in that area similar to what AWS gained in their first to market

voluntary wrote: »
    Imagine what would happen if most of your investment is in the company you work for and the company goes into a sudden trouble. You lose both your investment and your employment at the same time. Less than ideal.
    There's also this behavioural argument that people are often not able to judge objectively their employers performance and potential.

I hear you and agree to this. I'm comfortable with my investment allocation to MFST as 15% of my income wouldn't financially ruin me. Also, without going in to detail, I can't foresee my role being impacted by the company struggling.

But - I fully understand your argument - and investment is a risk. I've decided that the risk to reward ratio in my case is worth it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

NIO has gone ballastic the last few days. Up again in pre-market. I might just leave it. I've held it long enough. A bit more won't hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The airlines have gone mad too, SAVE for example up 19.45% yesterday and up 14.38% pre market today. Was looking at it on monday (when it was up around 10%) and at the time thought I'm not going to chase this...ahh hindsight! Still way off pre-covid high's, a gamble..think i'll leave it and cry bitter tears later if it continues going bananas :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Considering trimming my CRH position at current levels but have a "never sell" friend in my ear telling me not to.

Countries have spent millions on Covid-19. Infrastructure spending will slow. House building has slowed.

If you read the CRH Trading update of last April their outlook is somewhat bleak.

https://www.crh.com/media/press-releases/2020/crh-trading-update-april-2020

Having said that, it is still a share to purchase on weakness.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭NickSantigo

Purchased Sea Ltd earlier in the year.
    Afraid I was buying high at the time but they have gone from strength to strength

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

Avis has been my standout for the past few days, still room to run IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Supercell wrote: »
    The airlines have gone mad too, SAVE for example up 19.45% yesterday and up 14.38% pre market today. Was looking at it on monday (when it was up around 10%) and at the time thought I'm not going to chase this...ahh hindsight! Still way off pre-covid high's, a gamble..think i'll leave it and cry bitter tears later if it continues going bananas :)

I know they've gone crazy, I have American which is up nearly 30% today and 50% overall :D

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

LK LUCKIN Coffee.
    has an interesting history, had some dodgy accounting, SEC went after them, looks to be coming out of it okay with a slap on the wrist, cuaght up in teh US China trade war ,

trading at $3 bucks was $51 5 months ago .. up 25% today

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

codrulz wrote: »
    Intu properties anyone?

Up 50% since last wk

APA Apache and MRO MARATHON are my 2 oil plays, been holding them a few months waiting for them to pop.
    as long as OPEC+ play ball this week
    Even though OXY is backed by Buffet and Carl Icahn and has more room to grow back to 52 week high they have too much debt .
    Plus APA have made significant discovery in BLOCK28 Suriname where they are surronded by the big boys who may potentially pick them up.

Correction to my earlier post I said LK Luckin Coffee were up 25% .. its 33% today
    playing with house money at this point. entry point under 2
    GLTA long.. f the shorts

RIGOLO wrote: »
    LK LUCKIN Coffee.
    has an interesting history, had some dodgy accounting, SEC went after them, looks to be coming out of it okay with a slap on the wrist, cuaght up in teh US China trade war ,

trading at $3 bucks was $51 5 months ago .. up 25% today

Not just some ...Big dodgy scandal upping the sales to the tune of $300 Mil, I have them myself @4.60 was thinking of offloading them when they started trading again, but they went down so quickly didn't get a chance and they got notice from Nasdaq for delisting so wouldn't really recommend buying them.

Not just some ...Big dodgy scandal upping the sales to the tune of $300 Mil, I have them myself @4.60 was thinking of offloading them when they started trading again, but they went down so quickly didn't get a chance and they got notice from Nasdaq for delisting so wouldn't really recommend buying them.

It was a warning , not a notice of delisting.. big difference.
    For sure theres a bit of Enron about it all. But they have cash on hand . a few thousand store fronts and were going to be the Starbucks of China.
    Once Goldman have squeezed them enough to restructure and acquired a chunk circa $3-$4 they will let it run to double digits to recover some of their initial investment. If it tanks completely everyone loses.
    Plus the CCP bailed out the ceo Lu's other big car rental venture earlier this week. They wont let it go to the wall.
    LK is a pawn in the China-US trade war . neither side wants to take it off the board.
    GLTA

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

RIGOLO wrote: »
    It was a warning , not a notice of delisting.. big difference.
    For sure theres a bit of Enron about it all. But they have cash on hand . a few thousand store fronts and were going to be the Starbucks of China.
    Once Goldman have squeezed them enough to restructure and acquired a chunk circa $3-$4 they will let it run to double digits to recover some of their initial investment. If it tanks completely everyone loses.
    Plus the CCP bailed out the ceo Lu's other big car rental venture earlier this week. They wont let it go to the wall.
    LK is a pawn in the China-US trade war . neither side wants to take it off the board.
    GLTA

It is not just this stock, the US is currently progressing a bill where ALL Chinese stocks will be delisted. It is also supported by the Democrats - I think it is only a matter of time.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/21/bill-that-could-delist-chinese-stocks-in-the-us-moving-at-warp-speed.html

it's up 50% today, wonder who is buying them...i'm gonna get rid of my holding .

• Advertisement

it's up 50% today, wonder who is buying them...i'm gonna get rid of my holding .

If I were you I would hold but its your money
    Im holding .

Advertisement