Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A 30 KPH limit for Dublin

• 02-06-2020 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭

I'm actually staggered reading this. 30km limits on ****ing dual carriageways like Malahide Rd.

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2020/0602/1145036-dublin-speed-limit/

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/coronavirus-speed-limits-to-be-cut-to-30km-h-across-dublin-city-council-roads-1.4268992

RTE intimates it is temporary and related t COVID19 (which with any luck will be gone by new year) I.T seems to think more permanent.

Has anyone stopped to think that a person getting the first bus on some routes will effectively have to leave their cross town employment if a bus that used to maintain a 50kph is now put on a 30? Do they care this will now nearly double the commutes of people who use off peak services and who drive on same?

Do these people realise that with people glancing at the speedometer more often they are far more likely to have a collision? The increase in commuting times it will cause?

What are the end results of these public consultations, do a strong rebuke from the public actually make a difference?

I'm actually struggling to think how anybody can think 30kph on the Clontarf Rd is an acceptable scenario.

Surely they won't find enough concillors willing to pass this outside of the Green loopers. Do the Greens realise that in order to avoid these limits people will take to the M50 and burn more petrol doing longer journey's they normally would take through town?

I'm speechless.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I'm actually staggered reading this. 30km limits on ****ing dual carriageways like Malahide Rd.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/coronavirus-speed-limits-to-be-cut-to-30km-h-across-dublin-city-council-roads-1.4268992

RTE intimates it is temporary and related t COVID19 (which with any luck will be gone by new year) I.T seems to think more permanent.

Has anyone stopped to think that a person getting the first bus on some routes will effectively have to leave their cross town employment if a bus that used to maintain a 50kph is now put on a 30? Do they care this will now nearly double the commutes of people who use off peak services and who drive on same?

Do these people realise that with people glancing at the speedometer more often they are far more likely to have a collision? The increase in commuting times it will cause?

What are the end results of these public consultations, do a strong rebuke from the public actually make a difference?

I'm actually struggling to think how anybody can think 30kph on the Clontarf Rd is an acceptable scenario.

Surely they won't find enough concillors willing to pass this outside of the Green loopers.

They are clearly not getting enough cash from catching people speeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Seems ridiculous and a bit drastic for a virus on its way out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

ceadaoin. wrote: »

Been in the pipeline since last year, they're trying to attach it to it.

https://www.thejournal.ie/30km-zones-dublin-city-4914340-Dec2019/

How could any motorist on the council vote in favour of this?

Do they have to take notice of what will undoubtedtly be negative public submissions?

The damage this will cause to the local economy, to people's mental health by their commutes being nearly doubled, it's absolute insanity. I'd seriously consider moving to Fingal/ SDCC if this goes through.

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    They are clearly not getting enough cash from catching people speeding.

With the taxi industry in crisis they want to put in measures that in some cases might double the fare. They want to put in place a system that effectively puts anyone who commutes cross city by public transport for an early start out of a job.

I actually can't believe what I'm reading. The article mentions dropping the N11 from 60 to 50km when it should be 100km as it stands. How in the **** has this got beyond the planning stage? Surely the council will vote it down before it even goes to public consultation?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The 30 kph is totally daft and no one will be obeying that, rightfully.

• Advertisement

The 30 kph is totally daft and no one will be obeying that, rightfully.

Those of us already with points will have little choice.

Then again what's the point in having a licence if the joy of driving has been taken off us?

Thats how slow we have to drive through school zones here , which consist of a few hundred feet at certain times of the day only. Cant imagine having to go that slow on normal roads and for extended periods. Youd be constantly looking at the speedometer to check you werent going too fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

now i will say that during the period in which road traffic was at a minimum, the speeds some people were doing were insane.

Thats how slow we have to drive through school zones here , which consist of a few hundred feet at certain times of the day only. Cant imagine having to go that slow on normal roads and for extended periods. Youd be constantly looking at the speedometer to check you werent going too fast.

Where is here?

To think the law is being brought in for the benefit of cyclists. The biggest bunch of rulebreaking ignorant no test no taxed ****ers on the road.

Staggered speed zones dependent on time, maybe. After all you'd do well to hit over 30kph in inner Dublin rush hour during normal times.

But driving down Malahide Rd at 30kph at 10pm?

Not to mention the Howth Rd will maintain its normal speed but the Clontarf Rd won't/ The congestion with people diverting off the CF in order to drive like someone who isn't 90 years old will be chronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

does anyone have a better resolution map of the areas involved so i can zoom in?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Youd be constantly looking at the speedometer to check you werent going too fast.

Anyone who isn't able to maintain a constant speed without constantly looking at the speedometer probably shouldn't be driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

DCC report

Go to the end of the report for the maps.

Anyone who isn't able to maintain a constant speed without constantly looking at the speedometer probably shouldn't be driving.

30km is an unatural speed to maintain for any long period Grandad.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How much of the Malahide Rd within Dublin city is dual carriageway?

Surely they won't find enough concillors willing to pass this outside of the Green loopers. Do the Greens realise that in order to avoid these limits people will take to the M50 and burn more petrol doing longer journey's they normally would take through town?
    In terms of the limit, why shouldn't vehicles drive at a speed appropriate to the fact that we've an unprecedented amount of vulnerable road users on our roads?
    You're just pissed off because for once drivers will have to be careful of other road users and are coming to realise that no longer are they the most important road users.
    As for the speedo stuff, that's crap (and I used to wrongly use it as an excuse also). If you don't have a good idea of your speed then stop driving.
    I'm speechless.
    Given your spiel, you're obviously not speechless!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Have you tried to maintain a speed of 30km/h? I can maintain 50 and 60 fairly well but 30 is a struggle as my car doesn't have gears, it's a CVT box, so I can get faster than that on idle. It feels unnaturally slow and I've been left for dead by cyclists when doing 30 in estates so yes I need to constantly check my speed to stay below 30, it would be better if cruise control could be engaged that low because then I could then give 100% concentration to the road instead of checking my speed.

Not that the 30km/h limit is even enforced, I've been behind Dublin Buses doing 50 down the Quays

In terms of the limit, why shouldn't vehicles drive at a speed appropriate to the fact that we've an unprecedented amount of vulnerable road users on our roads?
    You're just pissed off because for once drivers will have to be careful of other road users and are coming to realise that no longer are they the most important road users.!

You explain to me how driving faster than 30kph on a good sized road at an off peak hour is a danger to anybody.

The rest of your post was spoken like a true cyclist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_City_Council#Current_councillors

Greens will be nailed on for this. SD wouldn't surprise me. Labour, maybe.

Surely there's enough councillors who won't vote against their own self interest. There are entire areas like Finglas that are 30km zones, surely any councillor knocking doors there in 4 years will know he's gone if he backs this?

You explain to me how driving faster than 30kph on a good sized road at an off peak hour is a danger to anybody.
    So are you proposing variable speed limits across the city?
    Your post also implies that during peak hours the 30km/h speed limit is appropriate.
    I drive (and for a long time was a mod of the motors forum here), I cycle, I use PT and I walk. Should I not have a voice or do you think your view is more important than others simply because you drive yet you can't provide an actual argument against the proposed measure beyond the usual "it's not fair" crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Well the amount of ***** that turn left off Clare Hall Avenue onto the Malahide Road forgetting that there’s a filter light there for a start. Have lost count of the number of times someone has flown through the red there - almost been hit a couple of times.

30km is an unatural speed to maintain for any long period Grandad.

In that case, it's easy - as soon as it stops feeling unnatural, you're going too fast and need to tap the middle pedal.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    Have you tried to maintain a speed of 30km/h? I can maintain 50 and 60 fairly well but 30 is a struggle as my car doesn't have gears, it's a CVT box, so I can get faster than that on idle.

My last car was a CVT automatic and it was perfectly easy to maintain 10, 20 or 30 in estates, supermarket car parks, etc. As long as you're able to concentrate and gauge your speed, it shouldn't be a problem.

• Advertisement

So are you proposing variable speed limits across the city?
    Your post also implies that during peak hours the 30km/h speed limit is appropriate.

I drive (and for a long time was a mod of the motors forum here), I cycle, I use PT and I walk. Should I not have a voice or do you think your view is more important than others simply because you drive yet you can't provide an actual argument against the proposed measure beyond the usual "it's not fair" crap!

I await your rebuke of the economic costs of this nonsense. Cross city early bus commuters now out of a job. People unwilling to take taxis.

The ignorance of whoever drew up this garbage is staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

I'm speechless.

30km/h is standard in a large number of European Cities and becoming more and more the default speed in UK urban areas and doubt all these municipalities are controlled by "green loopers"

Say your cross-town bus commute is 10 km, the difference between a speed of 30 km/h and a 50km/h speed will be 8 minutes. Many journeys in the DCC zone will be a less than 10 km.

DCC have said that with Covid 19 restrictions on P/T it expects the numbers of people walking to work to double and the number cycling to triple. Given that permanent infra to accommodate numbers like that can't be conjured up overnight (and would be foolish if issue is going to be a temp one) what's your solution to the issue of sharing space? Even supposing all p/t users have cars and drive instead of getting the bus the ensuing delays caused by congestion will amount to a lot more than 8 minutes.

A person struck by a car at 30 km/h has a 9 in 10 chance of surviving. At 50 km/h its 50:50.

Not really. Ive no problem maintaing a constant speed in a normal speed zone but its an effort to maintain such a low speed. I drive an automatic and any pressure on the accelerator for more than 2 seconds would have it going faster than that. Very easy to unintentionally go faster, hence the need to monitor it.

30km/h is standard in a large number of European Cities

So?

Say your cross-town bus commute is 10 km, the difference between a speed of 30 km/h and a 50km/h speed will be 8 minutes. Many journeys in the DCC zone will be a less than 10 km.

[/quote]

Good to know you have a spare 80 minutes per week/ 5 hours a month/ 4000 minutes a year you're doing nothing with.

A person struck by a car at 30 km/h has a 9 in 10 chance of surviving. At 50 km/h its 50:50.

A person struck by an oncoming car will often be the author of their own misfortune because they are too busy playing with the phone while wearing Beats headphones weaving in and out of traffic on their bike.

I await your rebuke of the economic costs of this nonsense. Cross city early bus commuters now out of a job. People unwilling to take taxis.

The ignorance of whoever drew up this garbage is staggering.
    What economic costs? Have you actual and verifiable examples of how there will be negative costs arising from the proposed change?
    Or are you just whining about it and looking for possible excuses against it?

Not really. Ive no problem maintaing a constant speed in a normal speed zone but its an effort to maintain such a low speed. I drive an automatic and any pressure on the accelerator for more than 2 seconds would have it going faster than that. Very easy to unintentionally go faster, hence the need to monitor it.

But... is it not possible to monitor your speed by observing how quickly the scenery is passing you? I mean, surely anyone with more than a couple of years of driving experience has developed the ability to judge their speed without their eyes being glued to the speedometer.

A person struck by an oncoming car will often be the author of their own misfortune because they are too busy playing with the phone while wearing Beats headphones weaving in and out of traffic on their bike.
    Have you a source for this because the evidence suggests it's more down to drivers speeding, using their phone, drink or drugs and other motoring offences?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,575 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

We really are a total Nanny state - 10 new cases today of a virus that has a mortality rate of at best 0.5 , and using this as the basis for a blanket 30 km speed limit - I cycle and at one time enjoyed driving before authirties took all joy out of driving , slow driving does not equate to good driving , in fact it can be dangerous , seen muppets on ther phone driving at around 20 km not knowing what they are doing . If we were really concerned about this virus we would tackle how to re-introduce DARTs/LUAS and buses safely , rather than this pathic nonsense of 30 km .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Great my job is even worse from this, constantly watching the Speedo and not enough time to watch for morons stepping out without looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Enforce laws we have already and fine those for stepping out or running lights.

Advertisement