Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump v Twitter

Options
  • 30-05-2020 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭

This is possibly slightly in the conspiracy theory realm.

Whoever is really running America and or Trump's billionaire backers have decided to drop Trump as they are no longer making money plus his handling of the COVID 19 situation.

That is what is really going on with twitter clamping down on Trump? after all why now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I think he is trying to get banned. He is deliberately pushing them..

I am not sure why Twitter are deciding to go after him now, they seem to be quite selective in their actions.
    There is no way they will ban him though. Too good for business.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yep. That seems much more likely than Twitter just deciding to push back a bit.
    mariaalice wrote: »

Whoever is really running America and or Trump's billionaire backers have decided to drop Trump as they are no longer making money plus his handling of the COVID 19 situation.

That is what is really going on with twitter clamping down on Trump? after all why now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

If he was as upset with Twitter as he says, he'd just stop using it. This is purely a distraction tactic away from his "leadership" during the Coronavirus pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I'd also had the thought he was provoking them to ban him so he could play the martyr more. After all, making them more liable for what tweeters tweet will give them more cause to ban him, given some of the things he says. Twitter can afford to lose him.

Then again, I don't think he's capable of that much forward planning, and he really does like to tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

Yet Facebook and billionaire Mark Zuckerburg are still sucking up to Trump, as so are Fox News. If the billionaire backers wish to get rid of Trump, it wouldn't just be Twitter clamping down on Trump.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,769 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They're not clamping down on him at all. He's just become so deranged that they've finally decided to link factchecks to his tweets.

He's still free to spout his nonsensical bile while his supporters are still free to fetishise their fantasy victimhood narrative.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Good publicity for Twitter, I know at least two people who joined just to follow Trump. Twitter are very selective in what they act on, plenty of other vile tweets get to stay. If it was as bad as they say they would delete but this way people are talking about it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

This whole thing amuses me so damn much.

1/ It's absolutely hysterical to me that a Republican, GOP led Government is pushing for more regulation of business. The free market is apparently a problem when they don't like it.

2/ Trump is looking to get Congress to approve the Government control of a private business, and controlling that companies business model.

Trumps supporters are literally, literally supporting facism.

And the best part is that he's not ever been censored. They merely stuck up a fact checker and left his content up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

They're not clamping down on him at all. He's just become so deranged that they've finally decided to link factchecks to his tweets.

He's still free to spout his nonsensical bile while his supporters are still free to fetishise their fantasy victimhood narrative.

But it's always about the money, how come the fact checking is only important now and not before this?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I'd also had the thought he was provoking them to ban him so he could play the martyr more. After all, making them more liable for what tweeters tweet will give them more cause to ban him, given some of the things he says. Twitter can afford to lose him.

Then again, I don't think he's capable of that much forward planning, and he really does like to tweet.

The thing is though he actually needs Twitter, it is vital to how he communicates. Hes got 80 million followers there about 40m of who are his base. If they ban him how else is he going to communicate so frequently and instantly with his base? All 40 million of them are not going to move to some alt-right Twitter lookalike platform, some would but he could still lose more than half his followers.

I dont think Twitter would ban him either because that would just make a martyr of him. They're stuck between a rock and a hard place though, especially when he is tweeting debunked conspiracy theories saying Joe Scarborough murdered his intern.

Twitter staff have been getting death threats too just to add another layer to this and the types who are issuing them are armed up to the teeth. Trump is stoking his base now over Twitter and Id be worried some MAGA crackpot could actually do something to the staff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

This is my take on it too. If he hadn't spouted conspiracies about Joe Scarborough being a murderer they wouldn't have touched his tweets about mail in voting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,769 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

But it's always about the money, how come the fact checking is only important now and not before this?

Because they don't want to give governments any more incentive to regulate them than they already have. Between live streaming of atrocities, conspiracy theories, racism, misogyny, homophobia, etc these companies, while not directly producing such material are nonetheless giving it a platform. It's a bad look that could play out very badly for them so they'll keep quiet and hope things die down.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 41,010 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Trump cant win the next election if twitter bans him.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Who fact-checks the fact-checker? Twitter admitted there was a mistake in their fact-check of Trump.

A truly bizarre world we live in where people are happy for a private company to be the arbiters of truth, and what a time to do it! There was just a 3 year investigation into Russia meddling in the U.S. elections; now twitter do it completely openly in front of the public and you all are in support of it.

Truly ****ing bizarre.

2u2me wrote: »
    Who fact-checks the fact-checker? Twitter admitted there was a mistake in their fact-check of Trump.

A truly bizarre world we live in where people are happy for a private company to be the arbiters of truth, and what a time to do it! There was just a 3 year investigation into Russia meddling in the U.S. elections; now twitter do it completely openly in front of the public and you all are in support of it.

Truly ****ing bizarre.

Anyone can factcheck Twitter. There are numerous factchecking organisations independent of Twitter.

But you know this. So you're instead just pushing more of this victimhood nonsense.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 23,315 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Anyone can factcheck Twitter. There are numerous factchecking organisations independent of Twitter.

But you know this. So you're instead just pushing more of this victimhood nonsense.

If they weren't able to be victim/martyr what else could they be?

I'd be fine with fact-checking being applied to everyone equally(which is impossible); but applying to to Trump this close to an election is clear as day what they are doing.

Take your statements that you constantly spew for example; so easily fact-checked and disproven as wrong.

"Farage isn't a journalist"
    "Trump advocates to drink bleach"

You can pedal these lies to your hearts content, but you wants others lies silenced. That's called hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

Trump cant win the next election if twitter bans him.

I'm not so sure. Twitter seems to me the most effective way of getting the message out that he's unfit for office. The fact that it's Trump's own tweets that spread this message is a nice touch of irony.

Its a sad state of affairs when "the most powerful man in the world" is reduced to constantly playing the victim cos the mean people online wont do what he says.

Maybe he can just send a group of people that didn't have to get a doctor to fake a note to stay out of the army to go kill Jack Dorsey for him and fix it all?

I'd be fine with fact-checking being applied to everyone equally(which is impossible); but applying to to Trump this close to an election is clear as day what they are doing.

Take your statements that you constantly spew for example; so easily fact-checked and disproven as wrong.

"Farage isn't a journalist"
    "Trump advocates to drink bleach"

You can pedal these lies to your hearts content, but you wants others lies silenced. That's called hypocrisy.

Ah. The old "Both sides" fallacy.

Those statements were never disproven by the way.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

silicone valley has a political position and their platforms take an editorial stance.

Trump needs the JFK. It’s the only thing that can save them now.

silicone valley has a political position and their platforms take an editorial stance.

Even if thats true, isnt that the joy of capitalism and private ownership?

Cant be just having these things when it suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

peddlelies wrote: »
    This is my take on it too. If he hadn't spouted conspiracies about Joe Scarborough being a murderer they wouldn't have touched his tweets about mail in voting.

I actually think Twitter made a mistake there in not tackling him over the Scarborough tweets instead using the mail in voting ones that just add to the whole conspiracy theory footing of his base. The Scarborough issue was one everyone could relate too, that was really low stuff. Whereas the mail in voting one is just a big rabbit hole.

Ah. The old "Both sides" fallacy.

Those statements were never disproven by the way.

That's the problem. Just about any statement or utterance can be considered an untruth, a falsehood or a lie apart from maybe the theorems in mathematics.

You trying to dismiss Farage as not a journalist reminds me of when some people tried to dismiss the Charlie Hebdo cartoonists as 'not-cartoonists'.

It's always about how these things are applied and given twitter's track-record I don't have high hopes for fairness and journalistic integrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Even if thats true, isnt that the joy of capitalism and private ownership?

Cant be just having these things when it suits.

if they take an editorial stance they should be liable for what they host on their platform, like boards.ie is.

That's the problem. Just about any statement or utterance can be considered an untruth, a falsehood or a lie apart from maybe the theorems in mathematics.

This is a weird mentality. Because people treated Trump as the dangerous, deranged bleach advocating lunatic that he is, suddenly everything is false?

H. H. Asquith

This is a weird mentality. Because people treated Trump as the dangerous, deranged bleach advocating lunatic that he is, suddenly everything is false?

Trump should be treated just the same as everyone else, fairly. We live in a society where we don't tar and feather people.

There is a cabal of twitterati blue check marks that are intent on seeing his blood by any means necessary. The same mob that were shouting the loudest about the integrity of democracy during the last election now fall silent when Twitter openly do the very same thing they spent 3 years investigating Trump over.

if they take an editorial stance they should be liable for what they host on their platform, like boards.ie is.

They havnt taken anything hes said down, they just offered people the opportunity to fact check it.

His bull**** is still there for all to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Can anyone advocate a negative position on Trump without engaging in hyperbole?

Advertisement