Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe in UFOs & flying saucers ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

That Shannon ATC brings to mind something I saw only a few weeks ago at the start of lockdown. It was a Saturday evening about 8 or half 8. A streak in the sky, quite like any old meteor, between the two stars of Gemini - high but towards the south. This was followed by another and a third in the same region of the sky but separated by a little distance, say a few degrees of sky. It was the perfect pulse (like a relaxed human heartbeat sort of frequency) and aligned nature of the three streaks that puzzled me and I began to contemplate the odds of a series of meteors behaving that way. About 10 seconds later another streak, quite like any old solitary meteor this time, streaked across and 20 degrees closer to the north at right angles to the pulse of three.

I called the Mrs. out to tell her as she is mad into space stuff. She guessed something must have been breaking up - hence the three separate aligned streaks. But the perfectly balanced frequency still has me wondering. Other than that I never saw anything meaningfully weird in the night sky in all my years. I would be very slow to believe in any kind of alien spacecraft visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

isn't Boyle Co.Roscommon a UFO hotspot ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

fryup wrote: »

No, it’s URO hot spot (unidentified rossie object).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,639 ✭✭✭buried

fryup wrote: »

I know two lads who like to do a bit of fishing and they swear they saw something hovering over the lake near Boyle Forest park when they were out on a boat. I know they ain't lying about it because both of them said and still say the exact same thing about it still to this day. Both of them say they saw a "bright lit up door that hovered over the water and then it disappeared". The evening it happened they rang up another friend of ours to drive them back home because they were too shook. The guy who brought them home said they were terrified, totally not themselves. They've never gone back up there either. Makes no sense for them to make up the story as these lads wouldn't be the most imaginative bunch and they still act the same way anyone ever brings up the story and asks them about it.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

topper75 wrote: »
    That Shannon ATC brings to mind something I saw only a few weeks ago at the start of lockdown. It was a Saturday evening about 8 or half 8. A streak in the sky, quite like any old meteor, between the two stars of Gemini - high but towards the south. This was followed by another and a third in the same region of the sky but separated by a little distance, say a few degrees of sky. It was the perfect pulse (like a relaxed human heartbeat sort of frequency) and aligned nature of the three streaks that puzzled me and I began to contemplate the odds of a series of meteors behaving that way. About 10 seconds later another streak, quite like any old solitary meteor this time, streaked across and 20 degrees closer to the north at right angles to the pulse of three.

I called the Mrs. out to tell her as she is mad into space stuff. She guessed something must have been breaking up - hence the three separate aligned streaks. But the perfectly balanced frequency still has me wondering.

That sounds like Elon Musk & his Starlink . . . . .

Timings with good visibility

Thurs 28th May 2020, 4:23 am.

Starlink - for 6 mins
    Look from SOUTHWEST to EAST (details)
    Elevation (from horizon): start: 10°, max: 54°, end: 10°

Friday 29th May 2020, 3:25 am.

Starlink - for 4 mins
    Look from SOUTHWEST to EAST (details)
    Elevation (from horizon): start: 18°, max: 35°, end: 10°

Sat 30th May 2020, 3:59 am.

Starlink - for 6 mins
    Look from WEST to EAST (details)
    Elevation (from horizon): start: 10°, max: 66°, end: 10°

Ungodly hours for star gazing, but great for insomniacs & night workers, if you want to see some real (IFOs) then look up at these times to see Elon Musk's Starlink satellite train . . . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

TomSweeney wrote: »
    A bird that can fly that fast ... and turn at 90 degrees without slowing down ...
    What 90 degree turn? The apparent speed is a trick of parallax when you zoom in and track something, its not going anywhere near as fast as you think, watch the video where he analyses it, its going at bird speed and has the size and body temperature of a bird because its a bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

I believe that life as we know it, or something similar, exists on infinite other planets.
    I believe that we are far more advanced evolutionary than life on some of those planets.
    I also think that more advanced civilisations exist than ours - so advanced that they have travelled to our planet.... just like we will start travelling to other planets (Mars) from the 2030s onwards.

Sort of makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭corks finest

Ditto.

Wonder when we'll get to Mars?

On the way but not soon

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I think the Tuatha De Danann came on like a cload or some air boat. Does that count?

I think the Tuatha De Danann came on like a cload or some air boat. Does that count?

Ah now. Even Ancient Aliens brought that up. Let’s not pollute Irish mythology with this modern day grift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I believe that life as we know it, or something similar, exists on infinite other planets.
    I believe that we are far more advanced evolutionary than life on some of those planets.
    I also think that more advanced civilisations exist than ours - so advanced that they have travelled to our planet.... just like we will start travelling to other planets (Mars) from the 2030s onwards.

Sort of makes sense.

This kinda sums up my beliefs too, simply by doing the maths involved.

And also, because of the maths involved, we may never get the chance to find out if we are correct or not.

Ipso wrote: »
    Ah now. Even Ancient Aliens brought that up. Let’s not pollute Irish mythology with this modern day grift.
    Proceeds to pollute.

The most interesting aspect about the Tuatha De Danann myth is that it mentions a group of people coming from a seafaring boat in the first place, at a ancient age where most historians think the human race was still living up the trees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

With 40,000,000,000 Earth-sized planets orbiting in the 'habitable zones' of Sun-like stars and red dwarfs in the Milky Way.
    Multilpy that by 150,000,000,000 galaxies in the observable universe, for longer-haul visitors.

1 / 6,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

approx chance of other life in the Universe.
    Chance of winning euromillions jackpot:

139,838,160 / 1

buried wrote: »
    The most interesting aspect about the Tuatha De Danann myth is that it mentions a group of people coming from a seafaring boat in the first place, at a ancient age where most historians think the human race was still living up the trees.

They are a euhemerism of celtic gods (possibly along with the Fomor). They were written as the fourth of seven waves of migration. So the other three came pre the tree dwelling stage of evolution?

They are a euhemerism of celtic gods. They were written as the fourth of seven waves of migration. So the other three came pre the tree dwelling stage of evolution?

As far as I know it the legend of them describes them as arriving on boats, Sea faring boats, as they arrived to an island from the sea. The records of these legends were first written down at a time of early Irish christianty when sea faring boats were already well known about, so that milieu at that time may have effected the recording of the event. I just find it interesting.

Sorry, I see now that my last remark was a bit snarky. It's important to note the time that these stories were written down, the first few waves seem to b linked to religious terms where the word Nemed seems to be linked to the word blessed (I wonder of it's linked to the Naomh) and have a link to Scythia, the reason Scythia is chosen is that the Scythians were supposed to be descended from Japeth who was a sonof Noah (so we have direct link to the bible. Parthenon is a variation on Bartholomew, the Tuatha de Dannan and the Fomor seem to be the older gods treated as real people where you have the Tuatha as a "light" force and the Fomor as "dark".
    The Fomor were also linked to the sea and sometimes referred to as Lachlann, which also used for vikings. This may be an attempt to denigrate the pagan vikings by linking them to a monstrous group of people.
    the Fir Bolg seem to be the best candidates for a real group, and the final group were the Milesians who came from Spain. With them you get two links to Christianity; Mil having a link to Noah and at the time Spain was a very important center of Christianity so having Irish people descend form them gives us a bit of good breeding.

buried wrote: »
    As far as I know it the legend of them describes them as arriving on boats, Sea faring boats, as they arrived to an island from the sea. The records of these legends were first written down at a time of early Irish christianty when sea faring boats were already well known about, so that milieu at that time may have effected the recording of the event. I just find it interesting.
    SPACE BOATS! :)

Chariots of the Gods....

Chariots of the Gods....

Morning of the magicians, HP Lovecraft

• Advertisement

Morning of the magicians, HP Lovecraft

I was thinking Erich von Däniken and his 1968 book, Chariots of the Gods.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Maybe aliens planted covid 19 here

Maybe gravity is only a theory.

Crosby (1993) estimates that in 1967 10-15 million people were still being infected with smallpox every year

Covid 19 is a walk in the park compared to what used to happen all year, every year. One in every nineteen Irish people carry a gene that offers some protection against only cholera at the cost of what would have been certain death back then from cystic fibrosis if you had two copies of the gene.

I was thinking Erich von Däniken and his 1968 book, Chariots of the Gods.

He wasn't the first to come up with that idea.
    http://www.jasoncolavito.com/charioteer-of-the-gods.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Maybe aliens planted covid 19 here
    Very unlikely...

...but after an extended period of Solar min, it could increase the occurance of panspermia (viruses, bacteria and strands of DNA can exists in space, carried on comets and meteorites). North East China had a small meteortie producing small amounts of airborne carbonaceous dust last October.

Good way for Enlil (of Anu & Ea), along with the merry crew of the Anunnaki (great bunch of lads) to prepare for a good harvest in 2029.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I've seen two in Co Clare, one near a place called Doolough near Kilmaley.
    A creepy place that's for sure.

And another near Miltownmalbay, myself and two ladies were in the vicinity near the headland by the White Strand around 15 year's ago.

Definitely not a drone or optical illusion, two big orbs in the sky.
    We didn't really get excited, funnily enough we didn't even report it.
    Just had a laugh about it and said who'd believe us anyhow.

Supposedly there's a cryptoid doing well in getting noticed around Ballyvaughan/Fanore in the last few years.

Seen by a few people.

nthclare wrote: »
    I've seen two in Co Clare, one near a place called Doolough near Kilmaley.
    A creepy place that's for sure.

And another near Miltownmalbay, myself and two ladies were in the vicinity near the headland by the White Strand around 15 year's ago.

Definitely not a drone or optical illusion, two big orbs in the sky.
    We didn't really get excited, funnily enough we didn't even report it.
    Just had a laugh about it and said who'd believe us anyhow.

Supposedly there's a cryptoid doing well in getting noticed around Ballyvaughan/Fanore in the last few years.

Seen by a few people.

What is it supposed to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

That sounds like Elon Musk & his Starlink . . . . .

Thanks for posting that useful info. I was vaguely aware of the satellite train thing. What I saw that evening were successive aligned streaks in a relatively small part of a cloudless sky just after dusk. Satellites, by contrast, tend to make their way steadily across an entire arc of sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Yes. Sure how else did Marty Morrissey get here.

• Advertisement

Crop circles.

10 or 20% man made, but who makes the rest?

Advertisement