Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JP said something on Twitter

Comments

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    JP was on Twitter giving out about the market being closed over social distancing. I'd be very wary of going near any of his restaurants for a while.

https://twitter.com/mistereatgalway/status/1264222119317180416?s=19

He is a pain in the hole at the best of times, not surprised to see him in the “opened it up and feck the consequences” camp on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

He is a pain in the hole at the best of times, not surprised to see him in the “opened it up and feck the consequences” camp on this.

You are putting words in his mouth. I think he makes a fair point about what’s going on inside supermarkets and shops like Woodies. Customers are made to queue 2 metres apart outside but it’s a free for all when they get inside. People are not socially distanced when they are in the aisles.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

JP was on Twitter giving out about the market being closed over social distancing. I'd be very wary of going near any of his restaurants for a while.

Having seen his beard, I'm not sure how he expects a face mask to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

You are putting words in his mouth. I think he makes a fair point about what’s going on inside supermarkets and shops like Woodies. Customers are made to queue 2 metres apart outside but it’s a free for all when they get inside. People are not socially distanced when they are in the aisles.

Social distancing not being adhered to inside some shops isn't a valid reason to allow a market to ignore social distancing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Social distancing not being adhered to inside some shops isn't a valid reason to allow a market to ignore social distancing.

Now you're putting words in my mouth. I would like to see all shopping facilities adhering to social distancing protocols. The point is that all such facilities should be subject to the same rules. Its unfair for one outdoor venue to be policed when other indoor venues aren't. Simples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved to own thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Is it not fair to call out a double standard being applied to two different types of shops?

Certainly "being wary" of his restaurants is a bit extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,389 ✭✭✭JoeA3

He's a polarising individual and has come out with some mad stuff in the past, he's certainly not afraid of upsetting a few snowflakes.

On this occasion I 100% agree with him. The "rules" are all over the place.

I like his restaurants, I'd love an evening out in Cava again, hopefully soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Wompa1

JoeA3 wrote: »
    He's a polarising individual and has come out with some mad stuff in the past, he's certainly not afraid of upsetting a few snowflakes.

On this occasion I 100% agree with him. The "rules" are all over the place.

I like his restaurants, I'd love an evening out in Cava again, hopefully soon.

Hard to take you seriously when you come out with dog whistle sh1te like that.

<snip>. Obviously this is a very stressful time, particularly for those who make their income in the service industry.

I don't agree with his take on this at all. It's coming from a bit of a selfish place, in my opinion but I can understand why he feels the way he does.

It seems like the council may be working on allowing more outdoor seating, hopefully that will help a little.

Why would you be wary of going to his restaurants for a while?

And it is less transmissible outdoors than indoors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I don't agree with his take on this at all. It's coming from a bit of a selfish place, in my opinion but I can understand why he feels the way he does.

It seems completely reasonable to me. There is different guidance from the WHO on social distancing (1 metre) and shopping centres seem to be held to a different standard again.

Considering what is feasible and realistic from a business perspective is important when in reality guidelines are set somewhat arbitrarily to begin with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Jp has a horse in the race, and has shown many times that he’s looking to make maximum profit. <snip, rumour>

Jp has a horse in the race, and has shown many times that he’s looking to make maximum profit. <snip, rumour>

Everyone has a horse in the race.

Everyone has a horse in the race.

In the service industry? No they don’t

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

If the race is being at the mercy of pandemic decisions, then yes, the majority DO have a horse in the race. Depends what race you mean.

JP spouts off a lot and some of it I despair at, but his point about inconsistent rules grows stronger by the day.
    It reflects where lobbying groups are strongest or financially more connected too. When rules make no sense to more and more people, sadly 'disobedience' for the ones that do will happen as well as people will lump all these decisions together.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Wompa1

cooperguy wrote: »
    It seems completely reasonable to me. There is different guidance from the WHO on social distancing (1 metre) and shopping centres seem to be held to a different standard again.

Considering what is feasible and realistic from a business perspective is important when in reality guidelines are set somewhat arbitrarily to begin with.

Someone from WHO was on the radio this morning:
    The World Health Organization's Special Envoy on Covid-19, Dr David Nabarro, has said two-metre distance guidance "keeps you safe 99% of the time", but you can "greatly reduce your risk by maintaining a one-metre distance".

Speaking on RTÉ's Today with Sarah McInerney, Dr Nabarro said that 70% of droplets from a person's cough will travel within one metre, and that "very few of them travel further than two metres".

"The WHO and others have said the best distance to keep away from people if you want to avoid inhaling a droplet is two metres.

"That's because that will keep you safe 99% of the time but you can greatly reduce risk even at one metre because 70% of the droplets will stick within one metre."

And our health experts have said they are reviewing it. It's not a decision that should be taken lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

His reasoning is faulty.

So because something isn't being practiced safely in some places, we should also let it be practiced unsafely elsewhere too?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,391 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Arghus wrote: »
    His reasoning is faulty.
    So because something isn't being practiced safely in some places, we should also let it be practiced unsafely elsewhere too?

On the other hand, if the limit isn't being observed indoors & outdoors, closing down the outdoor space shunts people into the more risky indoor space.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

odyssey06 wrote: »
    On the other hand, if the limit isn't being observed indoors & outdoors, closing down the outdoor space shunts people into the more risky indoor space.

Nope. They went from a risky outdoor space back to their own homes.

Galway market is leisure shopping, not household essentials.

Arghus wrote: »
    His reasoning is faulty.

He’s looking to be able fill his restaurants with as many people as possible for maximum profit.

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »

On the other hand food shopping is vital, coffee or food from a stall is far from it

There needs to be a big push on supermarkets, from what I'm hearing things are a bit of a free for all. Guards should really be doing spot checks and putting the foot down but closing a food shop is difficult, though it has been done especially at the start of lock down where supermarkets in the east had to be shut by the guards due to queues etc.

The level of complacently is astonishing, we are headed for another spike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Galway market is leisure shopping, not household essentials.

Stalls were selling Bread, vegtables etc. whats on your househeld essentials list? :eek:

Good lord :eek: There's reasonable care and caution and then there is hysterical paranoia.

Another spike? Did we have a first spike?

Supermarkets have been doing a roaring trade since this started. I know people who own a SuperValu supermarket/hardware and its been like Christmas season for them for 9-10 weeks running. They employ 30-40 staff, all working throughout. None of their staff have contracted the virus. As far as they're aware, no customer has either. I don't recall any news reports of any clusters originating in supermarkets anywhere, nationwide. The queuing outside of supermarkets is tokenism. Once inside, people tend to loiter around like they always did... yet we don't hear of people dropping like flies in the supermarkets, do we?

The ultra cautious CMO himself has admitted the situation is largely nullified in the general community. Most new cases appear to be coming from clusters, whether its nursing homes or meat factories. The media will report that Galway has ~450 cases, but we also know that approx 85% of known cases nationwide have recovered. So lets say there's 100 cases in total in this county... 0.0004% of the county's population.

Hysterical reports of people trying to go about their normal business as best they can, whether it is shopping or exercise is completely over the top. Given where we are, with new case numbers dwindling and people's lives being on hold for 10 weeks now (and jobs lost, etc, etc), there has to be some balance and perspective applied to it surely.

Hysterical reports of people trying to go about their normal business as best they can, whether it is shopping or exercise is completely over the top. Given where we are, with new case numbers dwindling and people's lives being on hold for 10 weeks now (and jobs lost, etc, etc), there has to be some balance and perspective applied to it surely.

This is exactly how we undo all the work we have done to keep the virus contained. Now is not the time for complacency, it's time to completely drive the virus out. We should not imo have eased things at all yet, we should still be in full lockdown.

Think of it this way, we not have more cases and more deaths per day than when we locked down in the first place, how does it make sense to ease things when we are worse than when we started or how are people so naive as to think "we are over the worst". This is complacency and stupidity, I can't understand how intelligent people can not see this.

Making a deal about lives being on hold for 10 weeks?? Like it's incomprehensible how this is even mentioned when we are talking about live and death from the virus.

This is exactly how we undo all the work we have done to keep the virus contained. Now is not the time for complacency, it's time to completely drive the virus out. We should not imo have eased things at all yet, we should still be in full lockdown.

Think of it this way, we not have more cases and more deaths per day than when we locked down in the first place, how does it make sense to ease things when we are worse than when we started or how are people so naive as to think "we are over the worst". This is complacency and stupidity, I can't understand how intelligent people can not see this.

Making a deal about lives being on hold for 10 weeks?? Like it's incomprehensible how this is even mentioned when we are talking about live and death from the virus.

I, on the other hand, cannot understand how supposed intelligent people have lost all sense of reason and perspective and can see no alternative beyond locking themselves away for eternity.

People who don't align with your views are not stupid Nox. They have a different opinion to you, they have different perspectives and risk adverseness to you. They may have very real concerns in life that the current pandemic is massively impacting upon them, whether its personal, medical or economic. That does not make them stupid. This is something you seem to struggle to grasp.

Zero deaths reported today thankfully. We are emerging from this, the restrictions will continue to ease and I don't believe there will be second waves or spikes or whatever you want to call it. I'm sure you'll at least be hopeful that I'm right with that opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

As someone who only recognizes him from occasional puff pieces in the local newspaper, what exactly is the story here? Has he some deep track record of controversy I'm missing?

As someone who only recognizes him from occasional puff pieces in the local newspaper, what exactly is the story here? Has he some deep track record of controversy I'm missing?

He caused some controversy years ago around Race week time, he made some derogatory remarks about the typical races crowd - people making last second cancellations to restaurant bookings, or worse - not showing up at all, urinating outside his premises, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

He caused some controversy years ago around Race week time, he made some derogatory remarks about the typical races crowd - people making last second cancellations to restaurant bookings, or worse - not showing up at all, urinating outside his premises, etc.

Hard to disagree with his frustration about people booking and not showing up, but yeah his means of expression tend to be a bit colourful. https://twitter.com/mistereatgalway/status/494953173296349184

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gogirl/24034031

I find these great

• Advertisement

His dislike for the races immediately made me dislike him and he has come out with plenty of other stuff since that I wouldn’t be in agreement with.

Advertisement