Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭lulublue22

IvoryTower wrote: »
    ill give that a bash so, i really just ignored it until it cracked and left a stingy kinda slit on my heal, might as well stick something on it

E45 and cotton socks work wonders ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Hello,

I'm fairly new to running and after messing about for a few weeks and making all the beginner mistakes I decided to educate myself. So now I know I need to slow down and do some base building which is fine.

My question;Can I use cycling some days to increase my base or will this be detrimental to running? Ive tried looking it up but no clear answers.

For reference im running about 25-30km a week at the moment

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Hello,

I'm fairly new to running and after messing about for a few weeks and making all the beginner mistakes I decided to educate myself. So now I know I need to slow down and do some base building which is fine.

My question;Can I use cycling some days to increase my base or will this be detrimental to running? Ive tried looking it up but no clear answers.

Thanks

I'm no expert but I don't think there's anything detrimental about cycling as a form of cross training.

Slowing down is key and building up slowly. You hear 10% increases mentioned a lot but I'd err on the side of being a bit more conservative than that even when you're new to running... to see improvement over time consistency is key and injury is the nail in the coffin of consistency.

Good luck.

IvoryTower wrote: »
    ill give that a bash so, i really just ignored it until it cracked and left a stingy kinda slit on my heal, might as well stick something on it

Sounds sore! I'm not sure about putting cream on it if it's an open wound :eek: Maybe better to put something more healing on it for a couple of days first - can't beat old fashioned sudacream, if it's good enough for baby's bum :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

ariana` wrote: »
    Sounds sore! I'm not sure about putting cream on it if it's an open wound :eek: Maybe better to put something more healing on it for a couple of days first - can't beat old fashioned sudacream, if it's good enough for baby's bum it's good enough for a soft track fairy :pac::pac::pac:

Fixed that for you.... :D

• Advertisement

With races off what are people training for, those who follow textbook plans aimed at a target race i suppose in particular?

I'll be finished a 10 week base plan in a couple of weeks and trying to decide what's next. The target for the year was an October marathon but i can't see that going ahead although it hasn't been officially cancelled yet.

I'm leaning toward 5-10k as I see some opportunity there to do a TT or a virtual race.

It's not all about races either, i could train to train but I need a bit of prescription or a plan of sorts to follow.

Just wondering what others are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

With races off what are people training for, those who follow textbook plans aimed at a target race i suppose in particular?

I'll be finished a 10 week base plan in a couple of weeks and trying to decide what's next. The target for the year was an October marathon but i can't see that going ahead although it hasn't been officially cancelled yet.

I'm leaning toward 5-10k as I see some opportunity there to do a TT or a virtual race.

It's not all about races either, i could train to train but I need a bit of prescription or a plan of sorts to follow.

Coaching group that I'm part of has integrated TT's in place of sessions and have been designed to give a team feel.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    It's probably a good idea to follow a plan of some sort - you could do a lot worse than follow the Boards grads plans here. Lots of runners here have had great results with those plans and many keep coming back to them. The Base plan followed by the 10k/HM plan would serve you well over the next 20 weeks.

The calculator used to, eh, calculate the various paces in those plans is this one. You'll probably be shocked by just how easy the easy paces prescribed are :). I'm not sure what the weekly mileage will come out like when you plug in your paces, but you can add some additional easy miles to boost the weekly mileage if you like.

There are plenty of other plans out there though if that one doesn't take your fancy. A popular book is Faster Road Racing by Pfitzinger and Latter, which has lots of different plans for race distances of 5k to Half marathon.

Thanks for all this! As you said I was very surprised by how easy the 'easy' and 'very easy' paces were. I decided to give them a go and on Monday I ran 6 miles at 9:30 pace and on Tuesday 6 miles again at about 9:10 pace. This is literally the slowest I've ever ran so it felt a little weird, almost like I was walking/power walking at times. But afterwards the legs were feeling fresh and no soreness the next day either, so I think I might stick with it for a couple of weeks before trying to up the mileage/pace again. Thanks for everything! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Butterbeans

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Coaching group that I'm part of has integrated TT's in place of sessions and have been designed to give a team feel.

Same. Our club coach has been keeping us on our toes with TT's involving solo and team orientated efforts. It's no substitute for a race but it's keeping people motivated and connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Hello,

Thanks

I don't think you will work the bike hard enough to really improve your base but it is great to get on a bike just to mix it up, loosen the muscles and give the legs a break.

If I am lacking motivation to run I will just get out on a bike and do an hour around the local parks. It's a change from the 70-80km per week low HR runs.

I am deep into base training ATM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Absolutely use the bike, if you have the time and it doesn't tire you too much away you go. Scullion is on the bike most days now cross training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I don't think you will work the bike hard enough to really improve your base but it is great to get on a bike just to mix it up, loosen the muscles and give the legs a break.

If I am lacking motivation to run I will just get out on a bike and do an hour around the local parks. It's a change from the 70-80km per week low HR runs.

I am deep into base training ATM.

The thing is as someone new to running the op doesn't have to work the bike hard. Just because it might be harder to get heart rate up doesn't mean that theres no benefits to it.
    The biggest problem with people that are new to running, is the go to hard. So 60 minutes riding a bike at a heart rate of 120/130 bmp will have a huge benefit for myochondria density building.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Thanks for the replies I will keep up the bike few days a week so and I really enjoy it

I normally find it easier to stay in zone 2 on the bike alright however today I did 70k with over 700m of elevation so hopefully I was working the bike hard enough :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Thanks for the replies I will keep up the bike few days a week so and I really enjoy it

I normally find it easier to stay in zone 2 on the bike alright however today I did 70k with over 700m of elevation so hopefully I was working the bike hard enough :o

So you had a great recovery while free wheeling down the hills :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

ariana` wrote:

It's a really interesting question. One I've thought about a bit during my easy runs of late. It's certainly a unique time for runners.

Before I say anything you already know the caveat with me that I'm coached so I don't have to worry about the figuring out. I'm also a long term type of runner so if I didn't race for the rest of the year it wouldn't bother me all that much. In some ways this lockdown has been a blessing for me in that I haven't been tempted with the distraction of races and there's no fomo. I can just let Luke work his magic.

It's a tough time especially for people motivated by racing. I think the long term approach type people will come out of this in a great position.

To answer your question though if you are working from a plan in a book you can't really go wrong hovering around 10k fitness. It's the perfect transition point down to shorter stuff or up to the marathon (in my opinion). 10k has a nice balance and mix of sharper speedy stuff and tempo stuff (depending on what plan you follow).

I'm biased though, as you know.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Same. Our club coach has been keeping us on our toes with TT's involving solo and team orientated efforts. It's no substitute for a race but it's keeping people motivated and connected.

I'm not in a club.... I just follow generic plans for target races and in between take periods where i set my own training or follow base plans etc.
    It's a really interesting question. One I've thought about a bit during my easy runs of late. It's certainly a unique time for runners.

Before I say anything you already know the caveat with me that I'm coached so I don't have to worry about the figuring out. I'm also a long term type of runner so if I didn't race for the rest of the year it wouldn't bother me all that much. In some ways this lockdown has been a blessing for me in that I haven't been tempted with the distraction of races and there's no fomo. I can just let Luke work his magic.

It's a tough time especially for people motivated by racing. I think the long term approach type people will come out of this in a great position.

To answer your question though if you are working from a plan in a book you can't really go wrong hovering around 10k fitness. It's the perfect transition point down to shorter stuff or up to the marathon (in my opinion). 10k has a nice balance and mix of sharper speedy stuff and tempo stuff (depending on what plan you follow).

I'm biased though, as you know.

Thanks P. I was thinking about this recently and i like to think i'm a long term runner (it sounds good, right) but in practice i'm not. I'm motivated by long term goals progress is probably a better word here. I have some loose long term goals and i hope to be running long term for sure but in the absence of a coach i rely on generic plans which lends itself to working in 12-20 week cycles typically focusing on a target distance/race. Despite the crazy nervousness i do love racing and race day, i love the buzz, it feeds the addiction. Oh the good ole days :( Anyway i guess a 10k plan isn't a bad place to start - thanks.

ariana` wrote:
    Thanks P. I was thinking about this recently and i like to think i'm a long term runner (it sounds good, right) but in practice i'm not. I'm motivated by long term goals progress is probably a better word here. I have some loose long term goals and i hope to be running long term for sure but in the absence of a coach i rely on generic plans which lends itself to working in 12-20 week cycles typically focusing on a target distance/race. Despite the crazy nervousness i do love racing and race day, i love the buzz, it feeds the addiction. Oh the good ole days Anyway i guess a 10k plan isn't a bad place to start - thanks.

The crazy nervousness is normal for all. Don't ever worry about that. I'm the same. I think most of us are.

Would you consider getting a coach?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

I'm not in a club.... I just follow generic plans for target races and in between take periods where i set my own training or follow base plans etc.

Thanks P. I was thinking about this recently and i like to think i'm a long term runner (it sounds good, right) but in practice i'm not. I'm motivated by long term goals progress is probably a better word here. I have some loose long term goals and i hope to be running long term for sure but in the absence of a coach i rely on generic plans which lends itself to working in 12-20 week cycles typically focusing on a target distance/race. Despite the crazy nervousness i do love racing and race day, i love the buzz, it feeds the addiction. Oh the good ole days :( Anyway i guess a 10k plan isn't a bad place to start - thanks.

FWIW my mentality of balancing long term development with short term motivation is to keep the training very simple but measure the overall approach week by week as the sign of improvement

For instance a simple 5k/10k progression

Week 1 - 10 x 1 min hard 2 min easy (30 min total)
    Week 2 - 10 x 1 min hard 2 min easy (30 min total)
    Week 3 - 12 x 1 min hard 90 sec easy (30 min total)
    Week 4 - 12 x 1 min hard 90 sec easy (30 min total)
    Week 5 - 15 x 1 min hard 1 min easy (30 min total)
    Week 6 - 15 x 1 min hard 1 min easy (30 min total)

Keep the paces and effort of the hard segments the same and have this as primary session of the week, maybe suppliment with a short tempo or something but let the sessions take care of themselves.

Where you want to measure improvement is the rest of the week
    - Did you get slight increase on mileage WoW
    - Did you fit in your strides 1 or 2 times a week
    - Did you eat well during the week
    - Did you do consistent or more core, mobility, strength work

For me putting the big effort into the smaller details is where the big gains will be made in terms of long term progression but seeing an extra box or two ticked each week increases motivation and starting each week fresh with a target of progression helps with motivation. Even a slip up week can draw a line under start fresh and go again the following week.

It certainly has helped me even in area's where I was starting with a 5 min yoga routine simply to establish a habit to build on. The little habits becoming routine no matter how short start the snowball off that can roll and roll and continue to build. Momentum is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lazare

I've had this idea for a while, dunno, probably already is a thing.

With all the virtual races going on I was thinking today that it might be good in the current situation.

A progressive time/distance trial.

Basically you've to run each km (think it works better metric) faster than the previous one. As soon as you run a km equal or slower to the previous one your race is over.

So you run say 11km progressively faster and your 12th is 3 seconds slower, game over, your result is 11km.

You could have some sort of trust based rules that you're not allowed start off at a ridiculous pace etc.

Think it could be fun, while also being a cracking workout.

What do people think? How far do you reckon you could go?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

What is the general consensus about events happening in Ireland the rest of this year? I was planning on doing the half marathon in Limerick this month but that got postponed. Now that it is moved to October, I can still work towards an end goal. If it was to get cancelled, I would find it hard to keep training during the winter for long distances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Lazare wrote: »

With all the virtual races going on I was thinking today that it might be good in the current situation.

Basically you've to run each km (think it works better metric) faster than the previous one. As soon as you run a km equal or slower to the previous one your race is over.

So you run say 11km progressively faster and your 12th is 3 seconds slower, game over, your result is 11km.

You could have some sort of trust based rules that you're not allowed start off at a ridiculous pace etc.

That's a really good idea! I'd be up for it :)

You've been peaking in my sessions book :P

Generally this is my golden run of all my progression runs - i.e session pulled as soon as you slow on a split. I find it helps to keep the session quite controlled plus it helps for discipline for any of my athletes who have a habit of being too agressive in sessions early on (also a handy tool for developing effort based sensory data in athletes as you change pace subtling and can monitor it in relation to pace on a spectrum)

It's a great idea for a novelty race though.

I reckon I could probably go to 10k effort starting at easy distance wise is anyones guess.

I think honour system wouldn't be needed just average out a persons easy days on strava for the a two week period recently and use that as a baseline.

FitzShane wrote: »
    What is the general consensus about events happening in Ireland the rest of this year? I was planning on doing the half marathon in Limerick this month but that got postponed. Now that it is moved to October, I can still work towards an end goal. If it was to get cancelled, I would find it hard to keep training during the winter for long distances.

My advise would be to train as if it is going ahead. Even if it doesn't and you have to take time off and come back in the spring after a break the training will benefit you in how quickly you return to that fitness level

Muscle memory is not a vague thing.

Even when we lose fitness and muscles atrophy (shrink) the mitochodria etc don't disappear that just get confined to a smaller space. Once you return to action this little engines of the muscle are still there to work to bring you back to where you were so the work effort is reduced because of the size of the labour force (not a great analogy but you get my drift)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

1) Does anyone wear a girdle or waist wrap whilst running for comfort and if so, where can you buy them?

2) Are there any other asthmatics out there that find running more than 5k impossible? I would consider myself quite fit, but no matter how hard I try, I cannot exceed 5k without feeling like my lungs are about to explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lazare

That's a really good idea! I'd be up for it :)

Coolaboola E, I'll throw it out there after the miler and see if it attracts interest.
    KSU wrote: »
    You've been peaking in my sessions book :P

Generally this is my golden run of all my progression runs - i.e session pulled as soon as you slow on a split. I find it helps to keep the session quite controlled plus it helps for discipline for any of my athletes who have a habit of being too agressive in sessions early on (also a handy tool for developing effort based sensory data in athletes as you change pace subtling and can monitor it in relation to pace on a spectrum)

It's a great idea for a novelty race though.

I reckon I could probably go to 10k effort starting at easy distance wise is anyones guess.

I think honour system wouldn't be needed just average out a persons easy days on strava for the a two week period recently and use that as a baseline.

That's gas.

Got the idea from my own progression runs, when I used to use pace, would try beat the previous km.

Great point about it being very beneficial for discipline. I think I was doing it just for the OCD :p

Great point about it being very beneficial for discipline. I think I was doing it just for the OCD :p

I have found even the most stubborn athlete who can never slow down paces never wants to bail on a session so they always manage to pull the pace in line for that session.

Amazing some of the sort of mindgames you have to pull at times :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I have found even the most stubborn athlete who can never slow down paces never wants to bail on a session so they always manage to pull the pace in line for that session.

Amazing some of the sort of mindgames you have to pull at times :p

My 15 Mile Royal Flush is my greatest achievement of the lock down thus far :) 7:25 down to 5:59 around an undulating 5k loop. Great fun.

The crazy nervousness is normal for all. Don't ever worry about that. I'm the same. I think most of us are.

Would you consider getting a coach?

Haha glad it's not just me, the 1m TT is always causing nerves :pac:

I have flirted with the idea, even went so far as to have a few emails back and forth with one (someone you'd be quite familiar with) earlier this year but I didn't pursue it in the end. I've read some of your posts on Shotgun's log about not having to think and that definitely appeals to the chronic over-thinker in me but there's something holding me back, i think maybe it's the magic bullet (along with maybe some cheaterflys :p) that i want to keep for when i feel i can no longer make progress on my own - i don't think i'm quite there yet.
    FWIW my mentality of balancing long term development with short term motivation is to keep the training very simple but measure the overall approach week by week as the sign of improvement

For instance a simple 5k/10k progression

Week 1 - 10 x 1 min hard 2 min easy (30 min total)
    Week 2 - 10 x 1 min hard 2 min easy (30 min total)
    Week 3 - 12 x 1 min hard 90 sec easy (30 min total)
    Week 4 - 12 x 1 min hard 90 sec easy (30 min total)
    Week 5 - 15 x 1 min hard 1 min easy (30 min total)
    Week 6 - 15 x 1 min hard 1 min easy (30 min total)

Keep the paces and effort of the hard segments the same and have this as primary session of the week, maybe suppliment with a short tempo or something but let the sessions take care of themselves.

Where you want to measure improvement is the rest of the week
    - Did you get slight increase on mileage WoW
    - Did you fit in your strides 1 or 2 times a week
    - Did you eat well during the week
    - Did you do consistent or more core, mobility, strength work

For me putting the big effort into the smaller details is where the big gains will be made in terms of long term progression but seeing an extra box or two ticked each week increases motivation and starting each week fresh with a target of progression helps with motivation. Even a slip up week can draw a line under start fresh and go again the following week.

It certainly has helped me even in area's where I was starting with a 5 min yoga routine simply to establish a habit to build on. The little habits becoming routine no matter how short start the snowball off that can roll and roll and continue to build. Momentum is your friend.

Thanks L, great information (as always), some really nice ideas to build on there. I spotted the table on your log where you track the supplementary stuff by time/day, I like measuring stuff - not sure why i hadn't thought to measure the supplementary stuff.

Haha glad it's not just me, the 1m TT is always causing nerves :pac:

I have flirted with the idea, even went so far as to have a few emails back and forth with one (someone you'd be quite familiar with) earlier this year but I didn't pursue it in the end. I've read some of your posts on Shotgun's log about not having to think and that definitely appeals to the chronic over-thinker in me but there's something holding me back, i think maybe it's the magic bullet (along with maybe some cheaterflys :p) that i want to keep for when i feel i can no longer make progress on my own - i don't think i'm quite there yet.

Yeah I get you. There's a number of things to consider when going down the coaching route especially seeing as you are similar to me in that we can tend to overthink things. The biggest consideration for me has always been - can I commit to the training. For it to work you really need to be in a position in your life where you know you can fit the training around everything else. If its a case that this session gets missed coz work is busy or this long run gets missed coz kids have activities then its probably a waste of both of your time. That being said L has always done a great job at working with me on that front and in return ive been extremely committed to making sure i get it done. Even now, the training is set up in a way to work within my work/life/running balance.

Last thing I would say though, and this is just my opinion and plenty will disagree, you'll rarely make the same gains on your own than you will with a coach (or at least a coach who understands what training works for you and builds around that). I think you'd be shocked at how much you would improve with some coaching......so be careful not to save that magic bullet for too long ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

does anyone have recommendations for sunscreen? currently on a 35 day streak of running (praise be the running gods) but i am thinking with the weather getting better and even if it is not, i should be wearing sunscreen more often. The usual stuff just runs into my eyes so anything that might be a bit more sweat proof?

Advertisement