Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Interestingly I've had very few issues with the 235 on prolonged hard efforts like racing. Have had issues on some easy runs or intervals. Presuming it's down to sensitivity level and when you're running hard it's much easier to detect the wrist heart beat.

That might be it - mustn't be trying hard enough!

Seriously though, I think skinnier people have more of an issue. You can improve results by wearing on inside of wrist and tightening, but I find that too uncomfortable, and doesn't always work anyway. Strap all the way for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Charliebull

anyone have nike vapourmax runners

mine got a puncture after 145 miles

need to get a new pair, going tru nike about getting a refund,

• Registered Users Posts: 28 djdwainec

So done my first run this morning, selected outdoor run on the Huawei health app but I did also walk 2km as it was 6km altogether, I paused the app anytime I walked.

Feel a bit sore after it but glad to get out for the first time, not sure whether the time is good bad or indifferent....

Weird thing happened about 3km in, feet started to become numb... Anyone ever experience this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

djdwainec wrote: »
    So done my first run this morning, selected outdoor run on the Huawei health app but I did also walk 2km as it was 6km altogether, I paused the app anytime I walked.

Feel a bit sore after it but glad to get out for the first time, not sure whether the time is good bad or indifferent....

Weird thing happened about 3km in, feet started to become numb... Anyone ever experience this?

dont worry about the time, just run easy and often

sounds like your laces may have been too tight

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I know I've asked this so many times before, but it's clearly not going in because, here I am asking it again!

(a) If a plan says - steady X mins > threshold X mins, they're not a million miles a way from each other? It's just a gentle increase to comfortably hard?

(b) So if threshold is something that is comfortably hard, where does steady fit in, feel wise, between easy and threshold?

If you had a plan that had a schedule with two runs more or less as above, on your long run (using that term v loosely here :D ) is it alright to make use of hills you come across? Or keep it all handy?

It's all getting very serious here :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I know I've asked this so many times before, but it's clearly not going in because, here I am asking it again!

(a) If a plan says - steady X mins > threshold X mins, they're not a million miles a way from each other? It's just a gentle increase to comfortably hard?

(b) So if threshold is something that is comfortably hard, where does steady fit in, feel wise, between easy and threshold?

If you had a plan that had a schedule with two runs more or less as above, on your long run (using that term v loosely here :D ) is it alright to make use of hills you come across? Or keep it all handy?

You could try inputting a recent race time of yours into this pace calculator and if you go to the training paces tab it will give you some numbers to work with. For the purposes of answering your question above I'd go with moderate pace on the calculator as "steady".

https://runfastcoach.com/calc2/index.php

There is no need for your long run to be pancake flat but don't try to incorporate a couple of sessions into it if thats what you're asking? Keep your long run nice and easy. :)

skyblue46 wrote: »
    You could try inputting a recent race time of yours into this pace calculator and if you go to the training paces tab it will give you some numbers to work with. For the purposes of answering your question above I'd go with moderate pace on the calculator as "steady".

There is no need for your long run to be pancake flat but don't try to incorporate a couple of sessions into it if thats what you're asking? Keep your long run nice and easy. :)
    Thanks Skyblue. I used the McMillan calculator and put in the TT time and got the paces themselves last week. But when I'm going along and think I'm going along at a certain pace I look at watch and despite being careful its too fast. I slow down and then it's too slow.

I was wondering was there a checklist or trick to use to judge how the paces should feel?

Thanks Skyblue. I used the McMillan calculator and put in the TT time and got the paces themselves last week. But when I'm going along and think I'm going along at a certain pace I look at watch and despite being careful its too fast. I slow down and then it's too slow.

I was wondering was there a checklist or trick to use to judge how the paces should feel when you get them right?

I was wondering was there a checklist or trick to use to judge how the paces should feel when you get them right?

I suppose everyone is different and you'll find your own little keys as time goes on...try to get the pace right on the watch and pay attention to the small things...how heavy your breathing is, are you sweating...anything that changes and can help in future.

I suppose everyone is different and you'll find your own little keys as time goes on...try to get the pace right on the watch and pay attention to the small things...how heavy your breathing is, are you sweating...anything that changes and can help in future.

Ah ok. That makes sense! Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

For me Steady is between Marathon pace and Easy. So, if M is 4.15 and E is 5.00 then St would be 4.35 or 4.40. Threshold is faster than M and I would consider the jump from St to T to be substantial. Be interested to see what others have to say.

Itziger wrote: »
    For me Steady is between Marathon pace and Easy. So, if M is 4.15 and E is 5.00 then St would be 4.35 or 4.40. Threshold is faster than M and I would consider the jump from St to T to be substantial. Be interested to see what others have to say.

Yeah I'd agree..the jump from steady/moderate to threshold is a big jump.

Itziger wrote: »

Well that's what I thought too, so I headed out and when the change came from steady to threshold, I moved up to what felt harder than steady, but like not belting out and when I looked at the watch it was in the 10:xx. On strava I can actually see where I looked at the watch because it just drops :pac:

The paces in Mc Millan says:

Steady state run 11:58 - 12:32
    Tempo run 11:35 - 11:56
    Tempo intervals 11:23 - 11:50

But the jump from 11:58 to 11:23 is unrecognisable. So I looked online earlier and read this. It says regarding threshold running:

This pace is a little faster than a pace that you could maintain for two or more hours (marathon pace for most people) but slower than the pace you could maintain for 30 minutes (10K race pace for better runners).

Now admittedly, I can't hold on to a 10:xx pace for 30 minutes, because I didn't do it in the time trial, but anything less than that doesn't feel like a huge jump and is really hard to judge.

It also mentions not turning your tempo run into a time trial, that it should be a workout to practice your ability to concentrate on a running task and keep in touch with how your body feels while running comfortably hard.

Unless I'm either misjudging how it feels and need to keep practising, or I need to slow down everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Yeah I'd agree with Itz and SB. I'd consider threshold and steady to be very different. From difficult to hard I'd have threshold, half marathon effort, marathon effort, steady, then easy.

Pace wise I might have a threshold pace around 6.15/6.20 min/mile. Steady would be slower than 7min miles.

Also depending on your plan or coach steady efforts might normally be longer than threshold efforts.

How they feel is different for everyone.

Now that you've confirmed it's Mcmillian you're following i understand your confusion.

McMillians definition of steady state is very different to my definition of steady. I consider McMillians steady state stuff to be almost HMP.

In terms of how do you distinguish between the two in terms of feel, its certainly not easy and takes a lot of practice.

Yeah I'd agree with Itz and SB. I'd consider threshold and steady to be very different. From difficult to hard I'd have threshold, half marathon effort, marathon effort, steady, then easy.

Pace wise I might have a threshold pace around 6.15/6.20 min/mile. Steady would be slower than 7min miles.

Also depending on your plan or coach steady efforts might normally be longer than threshold efforts.

How they feel is different for everyone.

There is a huge temptation to stick with the jump to 10:xx, which (if steady is at 11:58), would kind of match the jump that you guys are saying is approx the difference between steady and threshold.

Then again, maybe as the plan moves on and the time spent at each pace will mean it will naturally have to be dialled back a bit? And it'll all make more sense then?

There is a huge temptation to stick with the jump to 10:xx, which (if steady is at 11:58), would kind of match the jump that you guys are saying is approx the difference between steady and threshold.

Then again, maybe as the plan moves on and the time spent at each pace will mean it will naturally have to be dialled back a bit? And it'll all make more sense then?

The plan tells you that tempo interval pace is threshold?

The plan tells you that tempo interval pace is threshold?

So, the plan says '5 mins steady pace. 5 mins threshold pace' = one day
    Then 'run threshold pace for 6 mins - recover 3 mins x 2' = a second day

I searched online and it said that threshold running was the same as tempo running/tempo intervals. So I used the paces from McMillan for tempo runs and tempo intervals.

I've a feeling i'm going to be told something really obvious that I'm missing here :o :pac:

So, the plan says '5 mins steady pace. 5 mins threshold pace' = one day
    Then 'run threshold pace for 6 mins - recover 3 mins x 2'

I searched online and it said that threshold running was the same as tempo running/tempo intervals. So I used the paces from McMillan for tempo runs and tempo intervals.

I've a feeling i'm going to be told something really obvious that I'm missing here :o :pac:

To be honest I'm not all that familiar with McMillan but at the paces you mention I would expect threshold to be approx 30 secs per mile faster than tempo...

skyblue46 wrote:
    To be honest I'm not all that familiar with McMillan but at the paces you mention I would expect threshold to be approx 30 secs per mile faster than tempo...

I think mcmillian calls threshold 'tempo'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Dante

delete

I just used your calculator there, I see what you mean now. Threshold and tempo are different and threshold is nearly 4 mins per mile faster than easy.

Mind you, it has easy at 16:xx :eek: Like...they're not asking me to do that are they? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

I've a running form question. I've noticed on my LSR's that once I'm in the nice comfortable tripping along zone that my torso sways side to side due to one of my arms moving left to right in a swaying motion rather than up and down.

It's no problem at all but just wondering whether it's worth correcting when I notice it or leaving it be as I'm sure from a running efficiency perspective keeping myself straighter would be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

MisterJinx wrote: »
    I've a running form question. I've noticed on my LSR's that once I'm in the nice comfortable tripping along zone that my torso sways side to side due to one of my arms moving left to right in a swaying motion rather than up and down.

It's no problem at all but just wondering whether it's worth correcting when I notice it or leaving it be as I'm sure from a running efficiency perspective keeping myself straighter would be better?

Swaying is normal due to hip rotation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Just to be clear.
    When you say "sway side to side" are you talking that your trunk flexes from side to side (lateral flexion) or that your trunk rotates (trunk rotation)

Why do you think only one of your arms is causing the sway.. Maybe your arm is compensating for your lack of trunk rotation

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Swaying is normal due to hip rotation

Should your hip's rotate when you walk/ run.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Ceepo wrote: »
    Just to be clear.
    When you say "sway side to side" are you talking that your trunk flexes from side to side (lateral flexion) or that your trunk rotates (trunk rotation)

Why do you think only one of your arms is causing the sway.. Maybe your arm is compensating for your lack of trunk rotation

I'm not sure of the difference between lateral flexion and trunk rotation however from an arm movement perspective my right arm moves vertically but my left (dominant) arm moves more horizontally meaning my shoulders follow that horizontal movement and my shoulders and upper torso sway with that arm (if that makes sense)

I'm not sure of the difference between lateral flexion and trunk rotation however from an arm movement perspective my right arm moves vertically but my left (dominant) arm moves more horizontally meaning my shoulders follow that horizontal movement and my shoulders and upper torso sway with that arm (if that makes sense)

Lateral flexion, if you're standing and reaching/sliding you hand down by your side towards the ground
    Rotation, turning your body left or right.
    Without seeing you run its hard to say what the reason is.
    There are a number of reasons, from
    1 you maybe only rotating to one side.
    2 your arm swigh is compensating for lack of oblique engagement
    3 arm trying to counterbalance hip rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

You should rotate your torso, but not really too much lateral flexion as ceepo is trying to figure out.
    Arm drive together with abdominal and spinal rotators drive your hips around and legs swing following this.

Ideally in run form, ( though never fully in reality because we are all different to each other, and in also in the same person from side to side ) arm swing should go forward and back, not across body.

Could be weaker obliques, tight spine or hip on one side as Ceepo says

If it works well maybe leave it alone, if causes problem, try drills to correct as much as you can.

Although works for Haile Gebrselassie ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PerryB78

Hi all,

Newbie on this thread but looking for some help with an ongoing issue. Have been running intermittently for 20 odd years, done a few DCM series races going up to half marathon in 2017. Am an active gym goer doing spin hiit, crossfit and normal gym in that time but I've always had an issue with shin splints whenever my running has ramped up. Would anyone have any advice as to what I can do to alleviate this, have tried foam rolling, massages, gait analysis but it always flares up as soon as I increase my running sessions, thanks in advance

Advertisement