Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Rest between reps, such as training for a sub 20 5k.

Walk or easy jog? I've traditionally jogged when doing other training. No definite guidance that I've seen (4-5 videos). Up to your own discretion? Thinking of bringing the heart rate back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Walk or easy jog? I've traditionally jogged when doing other training. No definite guidance that I've seen (4-5 videos). Up to your own discretion? Thinking of bringing the heart rate back down.

I’d always go for an active recovery B, but have read where both ways are effective. If you’re used to active ones I’d stick to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Depends on the purpose and the pace.
    6-10 x 1k @ 5k pace where the focus is on speed endurance I'll jog easy.
    6-10 x 800 @ 3k pace off 1 min is a standing / walk around in circles with my head spinning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I think the difference between standing or jogging recoveries is to do with lactic clearance - there is evidence that jogging the recovery clears it more efficiently.

If the session requires full recovery between reps though do whatever makes YOU feel recovered. After longer reps I tend to stand or walk for a bit and then jog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

400s with standing rest way way easier than same with jog rest that's for sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

Hey, recently I've been getting callsus' on the tips of my toes after my 6-8km run, which wasn't happening before. Got some new socks Hilly socks but issue is still happening, with some blood after today's run.

I'm thinking my runners may be the cause, they are over a year old now, although they seem in good nick. Would worn runners be a cause?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 djdwainec

Hi all,

Have decided after quite a long time that I'm going to try start running to improve my fitness and lose some weight.

Have a pair of asics quantam 360 on the way but have some other questions about a smart watch/ fitness tracker

Could anyone recommend a decent smart watch of fitness tracker?

I own a Huawei phone so was looking at the Huawei GT watches

Also this may be a silly question but , I have been using the Huawei health app for the last day or 2 on my phone while walking. if I get a Huawei watch or get another watch and download an app, do I just use the watch while running and then the data syncs with the phone/app when I get home?

Any advice on the above appreciated

Garmin 235 is going cheap, 245 if you can spend more

Yes you would start to use a better app like garmin app and everything uploads automatically when you get home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

djdwainec wrote: »
    Hi all,

Have decided after quite a long time that I'm going to try start running to improve my fitness and lose some weight.

Have a pair of asics quantam 360 on the way but have some other questions about a smart watch/ fitness tracker

Could anyone recommend a decent smart watch of fitness tracker?

I own a Huawei phone so was looking at the Huawei GT watches

Also this may be a silly question but , I have been using the Huawei health app for the last day or 2 on my phone while walking. if I get a Huawei watch or get another watch and download an app, do I just use the watch while running and then the data syncs with the phone/app when I get home?

Any advice on the above appreciated

It all depends on how long you think you'll be running. You've two types of watches available. Smart watches that can do some running stuff and running watches that can do some smart stuff. If you intend to continue running when the lockdown ends then you should probably consider getting a running watch like a garmin rather than a smart watch.

I wouldn't be trying to match a phone to a watch. If the phone breaks in a month do you then replace it with another Huawei phone? It would be very limiting to any future phone choice.

Generally runners get garmin watches and you install the garmin connect app on your smartphone. You bring only the watch with you on a run leaving the phone behind and when you finish the run it automatically connects to the phone and syncs your activity. This is why some watches can store music as it allow people to still listen to music without having to bring their phone however this will increase the price.

I'd try and work out if this is a long term interest or shorter lockdown interest as this will influence how much you'd be willing to spend on a smartwatch and what it's long term use is for.

I've a Garmin 245 for almost a year I'm very happy with but had a cheaper one before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Just to not that your Huawei will not allow you to upload runs to Strava or Garmin etc, in case you wanted to do this in the future.

• Advertisement

Just to not that your Huawei will not allow you to upload runs to Strava or Garmin etc, in case you wanted to do this in the future.

Why is this? So Huawei won't connect with Garmin? So a Garmin isn't much use to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Why is this? So Huawei won't connect with Garmin? So a Garmin isn't much use to me?

I think he means if you get a Huawei watch it won't upload to Garmin (and why would it?). Nothing wrong with your current Huawei phone which should connect perfectly with your Garmin watch allowing your activities to upload to Garmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I've a Honor phone which is basically a Huawei phone and its works fine with Garmin Connect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Yeah sorry, just meant you won't be able to upload runs to Strava if you so wished. (and I know a lot of people don't wish to!) Not sure why I wrote Garmin in there also, probably just cos I have a Garmin watch.

Thanks all, is there any model of Garmin you'd recommend. I'm hoping to try take this seriously enough but will be building it up over time. Already spent over 100 on asics so if I could get a Garmin at a decent price let me know

Garmin forerunner 35 should do a beginner. 245 if you want to spash a bit more on it and be sure you're happy when you go pro down the line :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

On the Garmin 235 posts from last week, I had to do a factory reset on mine at the weekend. I note the comment about the poor optical monitor. I do have a chest strap. Is there any accuracy with a 235 and a strap, or is this combination OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Question around calf pain/injury. Not looking for any medical advice or anything, just curious about others' experience.

So I was in a bit of a bad way with the right calf last week. Did some damage on a session on the Saturday, last Sat week.

Pulled up 3m in to a 5m recovery run the following day (Sunday) and had to limp a km or so home.

Limping a bit on the Monday but it eased. Had discomfort in it and pain when pressed up until Wed but could walk. Lightly foam rolled on Wed night then woke up on Thurs in bits again, back to limping. Tried walking that night and couldn't without grimacing.

Limping again on Fri up until about lunchtime when it started to ease, back to mild discomfort, especially when pressed.

Gradually got better and better really quickly, to the point where today I tested it out over a 4 mile gentle run.

No pain at all right now, it's like it never happened.

It seems a bit weird to me. Obv I'm delighted, was 9 days out but was expecting to be out for weeks last Thurs.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced that sort of timeline with a calf problem.

Hoping I'm not lulled into a false sense of security and will certainly take it easy for a week but it does seem like it's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Lazare wrote: »
    Question around calf pain/injury. Not looking for any medical advice or anything, just curious about others' experience.

So I was in a bit of a bad way with the right calf last week. Did some damage on a session on the Saturday, last Sat week.

Pulled up 3m in to a 5m recovery run the following day (Sunday) and had to limp a km or so home.

Limping a bit on the Monday but it eased. Had discomfort in it and pain when pressed up until Wed but could walk. Lightly foam rolled on Wed night then woke up on Thurs in bits again, back to limping. Tried walking that night and couldn't without grimacing.

Limping again on Fri up until about lunchtime when it started to ease, back to mild discomfort, especially when pressed.

Gradually got better and better really quickly, to the point where today I tested it out over a 4 mile gentle run.

It seems a bit weird to me. Obv I'm delighted, was 9 days out but was expecting to be out for weeks last Thurs.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced that sort of timeline with a calf problem.

Hoping I'm not lulled into a false sense of security and will certainly take it easy for a week but it does seem like it's gone.

Sounds like it wasn't an actual tear of the calf muscle - probably just really tight, ironically the foam rolling probably aggravated it and made the recovery longer, for me if it's sore don't foam roll.
    Training for the 5k TT you perhaps upped the intensity which triggered it?
    Has happened to me before, I usually just rest up until tightness is gone and resume with easy runs. Always a sign for me that I'm neglecting the prehab side of training and need to up my S&C and regular foam rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

How was hydration C, dehydration can lead to calf cramps which may have been the pain you experienced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Different muscle but i had what sounds like a similar injury at the end of Feb. At the end of a long run it got gradually sorer and by evening i could hardly walk - and that lasted a few days. I honestly thought i was going to be out for weeks but in the end I had 9 days non-running and then i started to build back up slowly (i still had a slight niggle for a couple of weeks i'd say). The only difference is i had 2 Physio sessions - he said the hamstring was just extremely tight but there was no tear....As others have suggested he told me not to foam roll, just gentle stretching after a few days and lots of icing it in the meantime. Hopefully this will be the end of it for you C.

OOnegative wrote: »
    How was hydration C, dehydration can lead to calf cramps which may have been the pain you experienced?

Eh, I did the session with a hangover :o

Thanks guys.

Definitely neglect S&C. Although, I'm doing a fair bit of it lately with all this extra time.

Great lesson learnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

ariana` wrote: »
    Different muscle but i had what sounds like a similar injury at the end of Feb. At the end of a long run it got gradually sorer and by evening i could hardly walk - and that lasted a few days. I honestly thought i was going to be out for weeks but in the end I had 9 days non-running and then i started to build back up slowly (i still had a slight niggle for a couple of weeks i'd say). The only difference is i had 2 Physio sessions - he said the hamstring was just extremely tight but there was no tear....As others have suggested he told me not to foam roll, just gentle stretching after a few days and lots of icing it in the meantime. Hopefully this will be the end of it for you C.

Pretty similar story to a hamstring injury I had after a 10k race last year. For the day after the race I could barely walk, or put any weight on that leg, and feared the worst. But it improved quickly - I took about 5 days off, and following physios advise kept everything easy for a few weeks. It took a good while for the niggle to disappear completely. Hopefully it's nothing too serious for Lazare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Ceepo

ariana` wrote: »
    I've been trying to work on my cadence recently as it's dismally low for the most part. I'm curious what advice/opinions/experiences ye wise ones might have on the subject, things to watch out for perhaps with respect to the impact on form?

Here are some sample easy runs before i started consciously trying to increase it

Avg Pace|Avg Cadence
    10:07|159
    9:55|159
    9:50|162
    9:43|163
    9:50|164

And in the past 1-2 weeks where i'm conscious of trying to increase it (by 5% to start with)

Avg Pace|Avg Cadence
    9:31|175
    9:57|170
    9:55|169
    9:41|170
    10:30|165
    9:54|169

To be honest it's sucking a wee bit of the joy out of running at the moment so if you could tell me it's going to turn me into a speed demon then that would be great :D

You might find this interesting.

news.umich.edu/step-it-up-does-running-cadence-matter-not-as-much-as-previously-thought/?fbclid=IwAR07mIPxVEPXlkkXoU-XxyCIQY7MwfpX0HHXW7lxMqrcx69ZHHjLO1SxPXw

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

On the Garmin 235 posts from last week, I had to do a factory reset on mine at the weekend. I note the comment about the poor optical monitor. I do have a chest strap. Is there any accuracy with a 235 and a strap, or is this combination OK?

235 and a good strap is perfectly fine. I have one of the newer Garmin straps (where the monitor is not detachable) and find it very reliable.

I have a 235 and use chest strap. My friend used a 235 in it's own while doing a vo2 max test and it matched the readings ahe got so it can work! Another friend done an easy run the other day and it said hr 190 for the whole thing so it also doesn't work sometimes :)

I use a 235 with a garmin strap.

Find the optical monitor good for tracking resting heart rate while you sleep.

Unreliable with your arms swinging though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Interestingly I've had very few issues with the 235 on prolonged hard efforts like racing. Have had issues on some easy runs or intervals. Presuming it's down to sensitivity level and when you're running hard it's much easier to detect the wrist heart beat.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Yes as it will be the strap that's reading your HR not the watch. The watch will only be displaying the HR data that's transmitted from the strap.
    Any watch that can receive the data would work.

Advertisement