Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK response to Covid-19 [MOD WARNING 1ST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

This is going to be delicious. It still amuses me how the government is now the B list of British politics. Sure Cameron, Osborne and co were horrendous Tories, but even they never went to the depths of Priti Patel and Dominic Raab etc. Always kept them low in the pecking order then cleared them out at the first opportunity. But of course Boris is a C list Prime Minister. He would have never got the gig had it not been for the cult of Brexit. Everyone knows he has never been up to the task and so it had to involve a once in a generation political "moment" for him to sneak his way in. See the 80 plus majority also - not an 80 majority for Boris or even the Tories, but for Brexit. I think Starmer is going to steamroll them.

Speaking of Cameron and Osborne, they also had no time for Cummings. Not because he was a bit of a nutter, though that too, but probably because he's an arrogant idiot. As is coming to pass now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Durham Constabulary have released another statement:
    https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1264285594970206209
    More bad news for the Tory spin department, who now claim fake news

https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1264291113550176258

Full Trump in......

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Fantastic journalism, but I'm struggling to understand how they didn't anticipate this coming out as well? He's a well know government figure, did he assume people wouldn't take any notice of him.

A middle aged bloke shuffling around Downing Street in scruffy clothes and tatty hat trying not to be noticed by the TV cameras that pick him out on a daily basis whilst he pretends to be Kevin The Teenager would never stick in someone's mind if they spotted him on the street.

He's got to be one of the most recognisable people in the country just purely down to how badly he manages to try not to be noticed. If he wanted to be ignored he should have a shave, wear a suit and nobody would pay attention to him outside of political circles. That there is a moody teenager on telly being described as the one controlling Johnson it what make him noticeable... And an idiot if he thinks he's invisible.

Interesting tactic being used by Sophy Ridge here (see thread)
    https://twitter.com/RidgeOnSunday/status/1264274539422388225
    Good to see the media are finally getting wise to the lengths that the Tories will go to avoid answering questions.

I so so hope that there is a part 3 to come out tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

bilston wrote: »
    What's wrong with clapping for NHS workers?

Nothing in essence. But you certainly didn't get what I meant anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Transport minister being thrown under the bus. How fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Transport minister being thrown under the bus. How fitting.
    Theres a lot of people that have gone under that bus and probably a lot more to go under it as long as this tory government lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Guardian/ Mirror to reveal the next Gotcha in 3..2..1

Journalists shouldn't be bothered with exerting maximum damage. Journalists uncover information, release it and then let the public and other politicians take the next steps.

If they had this information weeks ago, it's disturbing that they haven't released the information earlier.

The Guardian reported back in April about Cummings making a trip and there was no real traction.

So yeah, Cummings should get away with it now cos the journalists decided to time the story. How very dare they.

Remember how the Telegraph sat on the Ferguson story and then released it when it was needed to cover up the Total Deaths v Italy news. I'm sure you were all over that announcement criticising the Telegraph, yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Enzokk wrote: »
    This tweet sums it up, those ministers will be right idiots if this is true.

Even if he doesn't go, it's fun that some of the very people Cummings despises or treats with contempt - Fleet St/Westminster media establishment - are the ones who carefully laid the trap he walked into.

devnull wrote: »
    Durham Constabulary have released another statement:
    https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1264285594970206209
    More bad news for the Tory spin department, who now claim fake news

https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1264291113550176258

Full Trump in......

That No 10 statement is outrageous

In tomorrow's Daily Mail.

Faithful and loyal partner and husband to his ex wife, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson (remember him?) says that Cummings shouldn't be fired because he was looking out for his children rather than having an affair.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1264304509951582219
    Can't make this up, they're really scrapping the barrel now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I so so hope that there is a part 3 to come out tomorrow

Why do you think sky are laying out the questions so clearly? There will be at least one beautiful "gotcha" in there somewhere.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Why do you think sky are laying out the questions so clearly? There will be at least one beautiful "gotcha" in there somewhere.

I hope so. But I still think that it will be old news by Tuesday and there is no PMQ until June

VinLieger wrote: »

Indeed, they are essentially trying to make it harder for him to avoid answering the questions like he tried to do today. Of course he could use this time to prepare some spin to answer the questions, but on the other hand the spin that the Tories used today hardly worked out well for them.

You will find that Sky, like the Guardian and Mirror and some of the other media, will not give him an easy ride like Laura and the BBC. If you contrast Beth Rigby, Sky's political editor, and Laura's approach to this, you will notice a big difference. Rigby has been far more analytical and been piecing things together whereas Laura has just been amplifying Government messages.

There's another element to this story just been released as well
    https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1264299662846177281
    So, it seems that completely by co-incidence, it was his wifes, and mothers birthday around the time he HAD to get to his parents in order to access childcare he couldn’t get from friends or family in London, just in case he came down with a serious dose of Coronavirus, like his wife?

What an amazing co-incidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,236 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Cummings gone and some other Tory will fill his place. The Brits voted for a Tory government a few months ago.

Ah now, I'd have thought you were smart enough to know Cummings is no garden variety Tory.

I hope so. But I still think that it will be old news by Tuesday and there is no PMQ until June

June's next week practically.

Something else will come out by then to let this sink below the front page.

But there's gonna be something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Enzokk

If you needed any evidence why Brendan O'Neill should be ignored, here it is.

https://twitter.com/LeoHickman/status/1264253876087123968?s=20

So what is the difference between these 2 stories? Other than the Brexit element?

Government just announced that discussion of lifting lockdown to take place on Monday in a meeting to be held by Johnson.

Not a massive dead cat but announcement timing of 11pm on Saturday night of a Bank Holiday weekend means it's a dead cat neverless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Not sure is Pippa hinting at a possible Part 3 here. She'll be on Marr in the morning, essential viewing for a change!

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1264297237598941185?s=20

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Ah now, I'd have thought you were smart enough to know Cummings is no garden variety Tory.

Well if you didn't know that Lloyd, clearly you're not smart enough?

: sar :

• Registered Users Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Enzokk

devnull wrote: »
    Government just announced that discussion of lifting lockdown to take place on Monday.

Dead cat.

Yes, there is the story that Shapps will want to focus on tomorrow. This is so reckless, no other country that has had a outbreak like we have had in Europe is thinking about ending the lockdown, but all it takes is the most powerful man in the UK to be caught with his pants down with his hand in the cookie jar as well.

If they exit the lockdown as a consequence of this story and more people die, I mean that is sending people to their graves for Cummings.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

According to Twitter he was in Durham in May also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

So what is the difference between these 2 stories? Other than the Brexit element?

Double standards by the Government. One was sacked and completely thrown under the bus whilst the other is being vehemently defended despite multiple breaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Johnson has to fire him. This totally inept 'leadership'.

This is what happens when you let "peasant Irish stock" get ahead of themselves.

The right-wing have ALWAYS engaged in double standards. The problem is no one else ever plays them at their own game so they keep winning. It's very infuriating tbh.

This Cummings story is an example of how EXACTLY to play the game.

There were examples during the election campaign where the Tories could just keep ignoring hard questions long enough for something else to get in the way and distract the press. The thing is, this was exactly their weakness, but they had the temerity and the major press and the BBC on their side so it was fine.

This time you have an opposition made up of Sturgeon (and BBC creation Davidson is gone) and Starmer so things are different.

---

Does anyone think that if Starmer was in charge that Boris would have gotten away with the fridge escape? The Andrew Neil escape? The flood mopping?

Not a chance.

---

Also, while.we.may lament that the Scottish CMO shouldn't have resigned, the fact that she did shows that the SNP are different and regardless of talent or faith, you have to be above reproach.

Look how skillfully Sturgeon has managed to maneuver away from Salmond?

---

Honestly, looking at how this Cummings story has developed it merely has shown how little there is up top with the Tories.

Yes, there is the story that Shapps will want to focus on tomorrow. This is so reckless, no other country that has had a outbreak like we have had in Europe is thinking about ending the lockdown, but all it takes is the most powerful man in the UK to be caught with his pants down with his hand in the cookie jar as well.

If they exit the lockdown as a consequence of this story and more people die, I mean that is sending people to their graves for Cummings.

I was actually earlier going to post that one of their options to get out of this situation, alongside the vaccine/cure/treatment dead cat strategy, would be to end the lockdown or make large relaxations to it, but didn't post it, because I thought that would be a pretty crazy thing to do and maybe I was being a tad over-dramatic and sensationalist and even this Government couldn't be that bad.

But I hear about their actions tonight, I see the statement from Boris in the Daily Mail and see their most recent laughable statement backing up Cummings again tonight and also see them basically accusing the police of being liars as well and I have to admit it really make you wonder if they would go that far to protect Cummings.

Exiting Lockdown to take the heat off Cummings is literally risking trading the death of many people in order to keep him in a job. You'd like to think that no Government in modern times would be capable of these things, even really out of touch ones like these and I still hold onto the comfort that what I like to think is true, we'll see if it's misguided or not.

You'd like to think that if push comes to shove there are enough decent Tory politicians who would rebel and revolt, but you know, seeing some of their most recent intake and some of the principled people who got deselected or are no longer part of the Tory party, you really wonder if there are many decent Tory MPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭I see sheep

This ain't going to go away Dom sorry :P

He's done

Looking forward to Johnson having to run things himself :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement