Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perceptions about Ireland that people just assume but aren't true

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

He really does seem to think that a BA is literally an artistic course.

He should stick to drinking yanks under the table.

You spelt autistic wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

He really does seem to think that a BA is literally an artistic course.

He should stick to drinking yanks under the table.

He'd give Paddy Losty a run for his money!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

You can do a degree in mostly maths or economics and its an arts degree technically.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,403 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Blaze420 wrote: »

Whilst you are presenting yourself as an educated, cultured and socially well adjusted drinker of yanks under the table ...

Do us all a favour, google what Batchelor of Arts means.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

It isn't true that it rains all the time here (except Galway and Limerick)

We just don't get enough sun.

• Advertisement

Rodin wrote: »
    It isn't true that it rains all the time here (except Galway and Limerick)

We just don't get enough sun.

I think its because Americans can't afford to come here during the summer so they come in winter. Like they book for February or January or something expecting heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Staring at paintings or reading books don’t pay the bills or rent - much like doing a college course in the “orts” is code word for being a useless sponging bastard who can’t face the real world of holding down a job or paying bills without government subsidised welfare payments. The “artistes” tend to have a very romanticised and deluded view of their place in the world.

Load of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭snoopy84

cj maxx wrote:
    That we are always on the drink. In both the US and the UK people drink more often morning and lunch time for example

This one has always baffled me, our times in the UK US and Australia made everyone iv ever known seem like pioneers. On the train from long island to new York City it seems to be the norm for people in suits on the way to or from work to drink beer out of brown paper bags, the first time we saw it we didn't know where to look we were so uncomfortable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭georgina...c

That the majority don't want a United Ireland. There's an awlful lot of closet Republicans and more recently, theyre coming out.

smilerf wrote:
    Top o the morning to ya Arrgh I have never in my 40 years heard an Irish person say this and if I did I'd deck them

Never even heard the phrase till I landed in England 😡

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

That Ireland has a criminal justice system that is more lenient than any other country and Ireland and Dublin in specific has rates of crime higher than anywhere else in Europe/the world. Some people seem to be of the impression that junkies are unique to Dublin. They exist in virtually every large European city.

In fact much of the social problems that exist in this country exist in virtually every Western developed nation like addiction, homelessness, anti social behaviour etc.

Only ever read this on here but since I'm on here...that Irish people hate Irish Ballads :confused: that's news to me? Especially if you've ever been in the city centre in Temple bar on a Saturday night.

Whilst you are presenting yourself as an educated, cultured and socially well adjusted drinker of yanks under the table ...

Do us all a favour, google what Batchelor of Arts means.

A Bachelor of Arts is a bachelor's degree awarded for an undergraduate program in the arts or sciences.

Your maths teacher in secondary probably had one. A lot of science and business degrees are a B.A.

Blaze420 wrote:

What's that supposed to mean?

Whilst you are presenting yourself as an educated, cultured and socially well adjusted drinker

:pac:

snoopy84 wrote: »

He doesn't realize that traditionally universities give all their degrees a bachelor of arts. And engineering degree for example can be a Bachelor of Arts.

Oxford and Cambridge give a Bachelor of arts degree to all their subjects.

Geography degrees most IT degrees are all arts degrees.

A computer science degree in Trinity is an arts degree. Computer engineering is an arts degree in Trinity also.

Its best not to try to explain it.

I don't know if other Irish people have experienced it abroad.

That our education system is WORSE than that in America or the UK.

That we are stupid.

I was doing a course with an English student. She would make sarcastic remarks ...by the end of the year she was asking to read my essays.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

1 sheep2 wrote: »

You've obviously missed the upswing in anti-British sentiment among the younger generation.

Evidently so.... :o:mad:

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

snoopy84 wrote: »

It's supposed to mean he's drunk and too ashamed to admit it. And he knows it, but isn;t sure what I am.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

GT89 wrote: »
    That Ireland has a criminal justice system that is more lenient than any other country .

We do have an extremely lenient Criminal Justice System due to a lack of investment especially in Prison space.

70% of crime is committed by the same 25% of offenders.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

I don't know if other Irish people have experienced it abroad.

That our education system is WORSE than that in America or the UK.

That we are stupid.

I was doing a course with an English student. She would make sarcastic remarks ...by the end of the year she was asking to read my essays.
    It isn't worse, a 13 or 14 year old kid here would piss through grade 12 in the USA. Grade 12 is 17-18 years old.

It isn't worse, a 13 or 14 year old kid here would piss through grade 12 in the USA. Grade 12 is 17-18 years old.
    I know that YOU know that.

I have 2 friends who taught in the UK and here. THEY know that.

But Americans and British people they don't know that.

The perception of Irish people in the UK and the US is DUMB.

Blame comedians like Jimmy Carr, Conan O' Brian and Jim Davidson. All of whom have Irish parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

I know that YOU know that.

I have 2 friends who taught in the UK and here. THEY know that.

But Americans and British people they don't know that.

The perception of Irish people in the UK and the US is DUMB.

Blame comedians like Jimmy Carr, Conan O' Brian and Jim Davidson. All of whom have Irish parents.

That stereotype has existed long before them and no one really believes it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

One of the most common conceptions about Ireland is that our landscape and scenery are one of the best in the world.

Its far from it, Ireland's landscapes and scenery are crap.

Probably one of the worst in the world.

That stereotype has existed long before them and no one really believes it anyway.

They do.

One of the most common conceptions about Ireland is that our landscape and scenery are one of the best in the world.

They are not the worst. But they don't compare with the best.
    T. P. Flanagan
    We have no prairies
    To slice a big sun at evening--
    Everywhere the eye concedes to
    Encrouching horizon,

Is wooed into the cyclops' eye
    Of a tarn.
    Our unfenced country
    Is bog that keeps crusting
    Between the sights of the sun.

...............Our pioneers keep striking
    Inwards and downwards,

Every layer they strip
    Seems camped on before.
    The bogholes might be Atlantic seepage.
    The wet centre is bottomless.

Ireland is a landscape of the mind.
    The ground itself is kind, black butter ..............They'll never dig coal here,

It not about bogs lads!

They do.

Excellent point. Who's they? The entire population of both countries?

I've never encountered that stereotype outside of comedy and historical propaganda. I have many friends and colleagues from the US and UK and it has never been mentioned. Usually they actually know hardly anything about Ireland at all. I would say a far more prevalent stereotype is that Americans are dumb, but of course most reasonable people don't buy into stereotypes.

Yeah Connemara, Ring of Kerry, Skellig, Glendalough etc etc are particularly hideous.

Excellent point. Who's they?

The usual suspects.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Yeah Connemara, Ring of Kerry, Skellig, Glendalough etc etc are particularly hideous.

Not saying there hideous but nearly every country in the world has better scenery than we do.

USA, Australia, Canada, Asia and Any country in Europe is ten times better than what we have.

Here's Italy just for an example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlRwssZYRM0

Advertisement