Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Add me to the list of people who didn't enjoy Mad Men. I watched Season One years ago and it just came across to me as a costume drama for men.

When it came back to Netflix I thought I'd give it another shot and watched the first episode of Season Two but I felt the same. It just leaves me cold. I don't think it is especially well written to be honest. The dialogue is often very plane and they make their points heavy handedly.

The production values are obviously amazing but I reckon that's the best thing I can say about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Absolutely adore Mad Men - would happily put it in my all-time favourites. While it’s arguably a bit too long (like almost every great show, The Wire included), it still finds new ground to cover right until the end.

It’s a show that also is always deeper than its surface level pleasures. I mean it’s obviously as lavishly produced as anything, and one of the most properly cinematic of television shows visually. But what I always appreciated was how seemingly disparate subplots in episodes actually resonated thematically and complemented each other in unusual, thoughtful ways that weren’t always obvious while simply enjoying the unfolding drama (or comedy: hell of a funny show at times). Thoroughly recommend reading the excellent AV Club or Matt Zoller Seitz episode reviews as you go: not as a chore, but because like all good criticism they do a great job in getting to those deeper levels that separate a good show from a great one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭iniall

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Add me to the list of people who didn't enjoy Mad Men. I watched Season One years ago and it just came across to me as a costume drama for men.

When it came back to Netflix I thought I'd give it another shot and watched the first episode of Season Two but I felt the same. It just leaves me cold. I don't think it is especially well written to be honest. The dialogue is often very plane and they make their points heavy handedly.

The production values are obviously amazing but I reckon that's the best thing I can say about it.

Just out of interest, can you give an example of what you would consider to be well written?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Sure. But I don't want to get into it either.

The Simpsons (first 8 seasons or so) and The US Office I think are brilliantly written.

Those are comedies though so a bit different.

House has amazing dialogue in it that puts most shows to shame.

Those are the examples that spring to mind. Not sure what you're expecting tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,958 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Mad Men is the kind of show Niles and Frasier would enjoy and discuss over a glass of sherry.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

Just finished watching 'How to get away with Murder" 5 Seasons and 75 episodes
    Found it very good

• Registered Users Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Ardillaun wrote: »
    This may be a generational thing. Mad Men is full of awkward, shameful moments (so much so, I hit pause on occasion) and Don Draper is a damaged man who cannot express sexual love in a healthy way. When he debates the significance of sex with his ex-wife in bed in S6 E9, Betty says this of Megan and him: "That poor girl. She doesn't know that loving you is the worst way to get to you." Then she adds sarcastically, "Are you sure you just don't want to hold me?", and the answer is, of course, a resounding, and tacit, no. It's sad, funny, brilliant all at once.

Regarding Netflix, I'm open to suggestions - that's why I'm here. A show has to have good writing and acting. The only deal breakers for me are zombies and time travel unless something really interesting is done with them. Otherwise, I just feel sorry for the zombies - what responsibility do they have for their sad plight? Man, it's like a Marxist critique of capitalism or have I had too much completely legal Canadian weed at this point?

You watched Kominsky Method? Loved that one too, Michael Douglas is superb. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

SBPhoto wrote: »
    Just finished watching 'How to get away with Murder" 5 Seasons and 75 episodes
    Found it very good

Watched the first two seasons of it and thought it was utter tripe. I still haven't forgiven myself for the time I wasted watching the second season.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,888 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Maybe the reason I didn't like Mad Men was because Connor from Angel was in it. Least favourite character in my least favourite season. :)

Anyway, back on topic, I need to catch up on Fargo and I see airing has been delayed in the States, but does Netflix usually show it weekly or do they wait for it to finish and drop the whole season at once?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Maybe the reason I didn't like Mad Men was because Connor from Angel was in it. Least favourite character in my least favourite season. :)

Anyway, back on topic, I need to catch up on Fargo and I see airing has been delayed in the States, but does Netflix usually show it weekly or do they wait for it to finish and drop the whole season at once?

Season 4 has been delayed as production was halted due to the virus, no premiere date has been announced as of yet

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Season has usually all aired on Channel 4 before Netflix Ireland get it.

It all makes sense now! I couldn't figure out why I instantly disliked him, thank you :)

Mad Men was ok, I'd nothing else for watching at the time. It's not something I would rewatch. One memorable moment for our house was the bit where Don and Betty took the kids out on a picnic. It was picture perfect, then they get ready to leave...

I tried to watch How to Get Away With Murder. I got as far as episode 5 of season 1 and I just lost interest.

I loved the Kominsky Method! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Mad Men was ok, I'd nothing else for watching at the time. It's not something I would rewatch. One memorable moment for our house was the bit where Don and Betty took the kids out on a picnic. It was picture perfect, then they get ready to leave...

That made my blood boil! Yes I've stuck with it... For now anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I’m enjoying sweet magnolias

I’m not saying I’m recommending it.....just that I’m enjoying it :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I watched the Kimmy Schmidt interactive special tonight. It was actually really good fun. I think it's a better wrap up to the whole series than the final season actually was.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I watched the Kimmy Schmidt interactive special tonight. It was actually really good fun. I think it's a better wrap up to the whole series than the final season actually was.

How does the interactive options work?

joeguevara wrote: »
    How does the interactive options work?

They just come up at the bottom of the screen whenever one of the characters has a choice to make. You use your remote to select one. The characters have little side conversations or make thinking faces in the background while you decide. It actually works really well with the universe of Kimmy Schmidt. If you chose the "wrong" options the story continues for a scene or so and then something will happen that takes you back to the last choice you made and you choose again.

Remembered a film I watched about a year ago and just checked to see if it was still on Netflix. Result. The Guvnors.

Didn’t get the best rated on IDMB or rotten tomatos but if you like Top Boy and British gritty drama then I would really recommend. Also a truly remarkable performance from fizzle kicks band member Harley sylvester.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2992524/

• Advertisement

They just come up at the bottom of the screen whenever one of the characters has a choice to make. You use your remote to select one. The characters have little side conversations or make thinking faces in the background while you decide. It actually works really well with the universe of Kimmy Schmidt. If you chose the "wrong" options the story continues for a scene or so and then something will happen that takes you back to the last choice you made and you choose again.

I’m definitely going to give it a go. Really loved the first couple of seasons then I kind of lost interest. Also a throwback to my childhood with the choose your own adventure books with choices at the bottom of the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Late to the game here but just finished Kingdom, Jesus H Great Googly Moogly, what a show!!! Hands down for me, the best zombie show out there, and better than any zombie film out there, I endured 7 seasons and 150+ comics of walking dead and this tops it easy. Great direction, great costumes, great acting and just great entertainment. 10/10 for me. WATCH IT FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    Late to the game here but just finished Kingdom, Jesus H Great Googly Moogly, what a show!!! Hands down for me, the best zombie show out there, and better than any zombie film out there, I endured 7 seasons and 150+ comics of walking dead and this tops it easy. Great direction, great costumes, great acting and just great entertainment. 10/10 for me. WATCH IT FFS!

I'm seeing lots of positive reviews for this. It will definitely be the next show I binge (when I've a bit more free time from next week on).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Enjoy the thread and have found some good stuff through it so would like to contribute back with some things I've watched the past few weeks on Netflix, probably most have been mentioned at some stage:

- The Last Dance: one of the best sports documentaries I've seen, probably the best and I am in no way a basketball fan.
    - Ozark S2 & 3: watched S1 ages ago and enjoyed it, wasn't mad on S2 but it was okay. S3 probably the best of the lot.
    - White Lines: crap despite me wanting to get into it, only got to the end of episode 3 before giving up.
    - After Life: watched both seasons back to back, brilliant show, not what I would usually like but really enjoyed it, equally funny and sad.
    - When They See Us: very late to the party on this one but really fascinating true story, horrible what happened to them but the show is very well put together.

Currently watching Bordertown (Finnish detective show), I am a sucker for crime/detective shows in general but this is one of the better ones I've watched. Watched S1 about 2 years ago and only saw someone here post that S3 came out last week! So currently going through S2 and enjoying it, something likeable about the characters and the setting.

A few people recommended Money Heist to me. Watched one or two episodes but wasn't sure on it. Is it worth going back to?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭appledrop

I must be the only one who doesnt see what is so brilliant about The Last Dance. I'm half way through. Maybe it's because I have no interest whatsoever in American Sports + they fact that if you look up all main stars they are not exactly role models in my eyes with all their different wives and children with various mothers.

Enjoyed the second series of After Life. People are right that's it's not as good as season 1 but that would be impossible to follow as I think it a very unique programme. It still made me cry especially last two episodes!

appledrop wrote: »
    I must be the only one who doesnt see what is so brilliant about The Last Dance. I'm half way through. Maybe it's because I have no interest whatsoever in American Sports + they fact that if you look up all main stars they are not exactly role models in my eyes with all their different wives and children with various mothers.

If the worst thing a US sports star does is have kids with different women then they're doing pretty well.

If the worst thing a US sports star does is have kids with different women then they're doing pretty well.

Scottie Pippen has 7 children with four different mothers. That's f##ked up in my mind.

appledrop wrote: »

Enjoyed the second series of After Life. People are right that's it's not as good as season 1 but that would be impossible to follow as I think it a very unique programme. It still made me cry especially last two episodes!

Absolutely adored season 1 of afterlife. Half way through season two and enjoying it but seems slightly forced with some characters trying too hard. Paul Kaye as the psychiatrist is a good example. Really liked him as Dennis Pennis but seems a bit forced here and not genuine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Unorthodox: Just didn't do it for me. I found the subject matter interesting but the writing, acting and characters poor. I had no empathy for the protagonist.

Tell Me Who I Am: Presented as a true story, but I don't buy it. Felt fabricated. Full of holes.

I guess I'm hard to please.

• Advertisement

Does no one else find the timeline in The Last Dance absolutely headwreacking. Its jumps all over the place for no reason whatsoever in my mind. One minute Denis Rothman is playing for Bulls + next minute they are jumping back years+ he is their nemesis playing against them.

Advertisement