Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hide (chat thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Breaking news, the female from the site near my place was seating in her nest this morning, I presume she has or is in process of laying.

The male was perching about 5 meters away.

The place get very leafy over the last few days, what is a good thing. The nest is hardly visible from the road now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

any idea what bird egg this is...

egg.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,389 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

blackbird egg, possibly. any indication of size?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Might be Song Trush

cadbury creme egg size (seriously)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Blackbird has brown specks/blotches, I think Eddie is right with Song Thrush.....

fryup wrote: »
    cadbury creme egg size (seriously)

I thought Song Thrush but if it's that big I'd go for Jackdaw.....

that big?? creme eggs are small

yes i concur on song thrush

that big?? creme eggs are small

yes i concur on song thrush

Our 'birds' must lay the bigger size in the west.....

231712472.jpeg

^^ Not Actual Size

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,389 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I saw the cutest little bird this morning in one of my mam's hedges, it was black and white on its head with a red forehead, white underbelly with tints of brown, any ideas what it was? it was so tiny, a bit bigger than a robin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭black forest

Might be an european goldfinch.🤔😉

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_goldfinch

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Might be an european goldfinch.🤔😉

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_goldfinch

Very similar BF !

Will starlings be fledging soon does anyone know?

I’m an animal lover but there’s a large clutch of starlings in the eaves of an empty house next door and I’m nearing the end of my tether being woken up by their incessant screeching and scraping on the gutters for weeks now!

three weeks from hatching to fledging is normal, i think.

Ah yeah it’s been about that...any day now hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

My two sunflower hearts feeders were empty when I looked about an hour ago. They are suspended in a metal cage a couple of metres from my little conservatory.
    I filled the feeders, then spent half an hour watering my cactus plants.
    As I was finishing I saw a bullfinch on the ground. A few seconds later there were two bullfinches in the cage munching on the seeds.
    I seldom see bullfinches here in Blackrock, Dublin. This is I think my third sighting in about five years.
    It made my day. :)

Can anyone identify the bird below? Took it today in the park, first time I pass them they were hiding in the bush and then with my next passing in the river.

IMG20200514111452.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Grey Heron/Heron, or crane in the vernacular in some parts of the country.

• Advertisement

I saw what I think was a Gold Crest down the park today, a tiny little fella with a piece of grass in its mouth and it hoping along the ground :3.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

There was a goldcrest rummaging through leaves half a step away from me on the footpath, this would have been around February. He clearly saw me, but kept working like mad. I was there for ages watching him (like, 10 good minutes with him less than a metre away from me). He looked at me from time to time but wasn't worried, he seemed to say to me, "Look here woman, you can watch me but don't disturb me, I've work to do here, can't you see?". I went home, got back out to where he was (again, not a bother on him) and scattered some crumbled dried mealworms near him. He seemed to appreciate the gesture. :D

All was ok until some woman with big white runners came stomping by, making a racket, to see what I was looking at. :rolleyes:

This little fella got really close to me as well , we were practically walking side by side for a second , I couldn't get over how small they were :3

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭NEW WAVE

I posted photographs of the goldcrest on "Some nature pictures I took recently" section yesterday.The golldcrest paid a visit to our fish pond after nine on Saturday last and again at the same time last night. Will post later.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

NEW WAVE wrote: »
    I posted photographs of the goldcrest on "Some nature pictures I took recently" section yesterday.The golldcrest paid a visit to our fish pond after nine on Saturday last and again at the same time last night. Will post later.

I saw that, my jaw dropped and I kept saying "Wow!" to myself over and over again (well, the cat was here, so I can pretend I was talking to him).

I was very envious of that shot and of the birdie, but also of that "waterfall". :)

there was a murder on my front drive this morning...

carcuss.jpg

who's the deceased? and who's the suspect?

Deceased: magpie
    Culprit: Peregrine? Buzzard?

there was a murder on my front drive this morning...
    who's the deceased? and who's the suspect?

It's a young Magpie so there are any number of suspects, a cat would be high on the list.....

the neighbour's cat was arrested this morning and taken in for questioning, she denies all charges

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Small update on my 2 pairs of allegedly breeding sparrowhawks...the D4.1 pair has gone expectedly very quite since incubation started. This month I have only seen one bird once, last week, arriving into the nest, but given that this is now very covered and that the action was extremely fast I am not sure if it was the m or f, although I suspect the female. All going well eggs would hatch the first week of June.

For the D4.2 pair, I got the male nearly everytime I went to check (every 2 or 3 days) in the same tree until last week, and the female once last week in the same location with catch. She flew into the tree where I suspect a nest is located, but I have never seen it. For the last week, I have not seen or heard either m&f, so they may well be on eggs or moved on.

Advertisement