Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hide (chat thread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you mean in terms of the virus?
    dogs especially. getting loads more attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,151 ✭✭✭✭Base price

fryup wrote: »
    i wonder would animals sense there's something going on? dogs especially
    The cities seagulls and pigeons are getting hungry at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

you mean in terms of the virus?
    dogs especially. getting loads more attention.

i mean i wonder can they sense that something is a bit off, humans are acting strange

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

i mean i wonder can they sense that something is a bit off, humans are acting strange

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-52057543

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we spotted a wren collecting moss off the lawn in our back garden yesterday, but today i realised it's actually building its nest in my shed - which is used quite a lot, i do a good bit of woodturning out there.
    there would often be a lot of dust in the air, and powertools being used out there - i suspect if i evict them (for their own sake), i need to do it now?

• Advertisement

rang a chap i know who is better educated on such things than me, and he said to close up access now, which i have done.
    one of the main concerns i'd have had would have been at fledging time, they could have easily been trapped. it wouldn't be a healthy place for them to be, i regularly use a breathing mask out there; so hopefully they'll find a new home quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Have a great battle going on in our nest box at the moment. Two blue tits vying for it, one brings in a few bits of nesting material, and the next minute the other one comes in and carefully removes it!

Originally when I first saw two birds in at once, I thought they were a pair as they seemed to be OK with each other being in there at the same time, but it's starting to get a bit rougher with the new one chasing the other out.

tragic news from zoe devlin (wildflowers of ireland):

https://twitter.com/zoedev1174/status/1242790683259179008

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Alun wrote: »
    Have a great battle going on in our nest box at the moment. Two blue tits vying for it, one brings in a few bits of nesting material, and the next minute the other one comes in and carefully removes it!

Originally when I first saw two birds in at once, I thought they were a pair as they seemed to be OK with each other being in there at the same time, but it's starting to get a bit rougher with the new one chasing the other out.
    Currently we have one bird starting to nest, bringing in moss and bits of dried grass and the next day the other bird comes in and empties it completely and starts over again, Rinse and repeat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Spotted a flock of migrating Golden Plover resting on some spring tillage land near my parents place in North Kildare. They really are a stunning looking bird when the Males are coming into their breeding plumage. These birds appeared to be of the "Northern" variety as the black patch extended totally down their chest and belly

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

gzoladz wrote: »
    Surprising turn of events...I checked the roosting site this afternoon, and there was a male who was NOT Cyrano (check his much smaller bill) and a female. I wondered if maybe Cyrano was the female but if that is the case, it is not the same bird as Cyrano has quite a bit of orange and this female has no orange at all.

Both birds were interacting quite a lot and they checked a half built nest in the same site. The female sat in the nest for about 15 minutes and her head was occasionally visible from the other side of road. I was actually surprised they were checking that nest as it looked too exposed to me.

DSCN2115-01 by Gustavo, on Flickr

DSCN2026-01 by Gustavo, on Flickr

Not Cyrana. Roxanne. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

New Home wrote: »
    Not Cyrana. Roxanne. :)

We need a second male name...there is Cyrano and another younger looking male. This morning both were collecting nesting material for the same nest. I didn't see the female.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

To remain in theme, Christian?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

We need a second male name...there is Cyrano and another younger looking male. This morning both were collecting nesting material for the same nest. I didn't see the female.

Bet you have the chicks named already:D

Eddie B wrote: »
    Bet you have the chicks named already:D

New Home is actually who names them!

Lunch break...only Cyrano there, perching at his favourite branch. There was a few Blue Tits feeding an calling 2 or 3 mts away from him...I don't know if they did not see him or they don't respect him.

I am hoping to check it again this evening.

Brief update...after a quite Wednesday, M and F Sparrowhawk were very active yesterday morning...more mating, more nest building, etc.

I submitted an application to obtain a license to photograph activity on the nest, as this will be required from when eggs are laid until the youngs fledge...it is a long shot as I don't know if I qualify, and if these are granted given the current situation (and if I am not too late requesting it, but who would have expected this!).

In any case, the nest location is getting very leafy, so I don't know how much longer will be visible (all my observations are from a busy road, not accessing the roosting/nest site).

under Section 22 (9)(f) of the Wildlife Act, 1976 (as amended) a licence is required for a person to take or make photographic, video or other pictures of a wild bird of a species specified in the licence on or near a nest containing eggs or unflown young.

M and F Sparrowhawk were very active yesterday morning...more mating,

tell them to get a room

spotted a kingfisher on the tolka yesterday, first time i've seen one in several years. it was at the bridge on mobhi road.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Odd question please... Might anyone be able to know how I might help a frantic bird off a balcony, draped in netting (so birds wont get in, but occasionally they do) ?

Can you remove part of the netting? Sorry DB, I'd need a picture or a better description, I can't quite visualise it.

• Advertisement

I can't, its stapled from roof to sides of building. I tried coaxing him to the floor with seeds, cos that must be where he flew into, but he is just too spastic to even catch with net on a stick :(

A single bed sheet might help.

ok, will try that, ta new home!

And wait until dark. It might be easier to catch it then. What kind of bird is it? You might be able to keep it in a large cardboard box until dawn, but not all birds will be able to withstand that.

BIRD IS FREEEEEEEEE ! :D Thanks for all your help New Home!

YAAAAYYYY!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

I saw a Kestrel take a small bird in mid air today. Unbelievable manoeuvre to catch it. It looked like it had escaped for a second.

Not sure was it the flock of small birds were chasing it off which I have seen plenty times and it turned on them or if it just had a go at them.

quick question - do swans fly at night? was in the back garden last night and heard that unique swish swish sound you get from swans wings overhead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

quick question - do swans fly at night? was in the back garden last night and heard that unique swish swish sound you get from swans wings overhead

Yes swan's fly at night

• Advertisement

I think I have found another sparrowhawk nest on the edge of my 2km, area of mixed decidious and coniferous woodland. Potential nest in a huge coniferous tree, m&f seen and heard calling and interacting. Male left and came back a few times.

I have not seen the actual nest this time.

Advertisement