Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hide (chat thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Have a swallows nest under the gable pitch here in Cork, still a whole family here on the 3rd of October. Had cleaned the path a week ago thinking they were gone!

Sounds more like House Martins?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

High expectations in the birding community with what birds Lorenzo may bring along.

A hoopoe and a Hobby were spotted in Wicklow this week, and it should only get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Gonna have to look closer in the morning.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

gzoladz wrote: »
    High expectations in the birding community with what birds Lorenzo may bring along.

A hoopoe and a Hobby were spotted in Wicklow this week, and it should only get better.

A hoopoe this time of year!! Wow!!! :)

New Home wrote: »
    A hoopoe this time of year!! Wow!!! :)

While April and May are the more usual months, we have had them in October and November in 2016 and 2017. One appeared a few days after Christmas last year.

Always a lovely bird to see.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Amazing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

You were right! I've been calling them swallows for over 10 years, shows what I know.
    I did put up a mirror there years ago and it worked as I had no more visitors for about 3 seasons, I love them flying in and out but they do leave an awful mess. Might put a "shelf" up above the second ceiling level below them before next season, to catch the droppings.Anyone ever done anything similar?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Posters here might be interested in a current 'sponsored post' on boards - for crowdfunded journalism on specific topics - in this case it's the spate of councils cutting down trees across the country in the last year or two. See below for details:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058021471&utm_source=sponsored_thread&utm_medium=forumview&utm_campaign=2058021471&utm_content=thread_title

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭bkrangle

gzoladz wrote: »

Lots of hype yesterday over a nighthawk seen up North

https://twitter.com/RonaldSurgenor/status/1181642656604143618?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I think he's been there a couple of weeks

http://www.irishbirding.com/birds/web/Display/sighting/121774/Common_Nighthawk.html
    07:00-19:00 Galgorm. Relocated, roosting in a field (G. Bagnell). Showing well all day. Left the roost at 19:00, giving crippling views. Present for the last two weeks

he's been spotted today too

http://www.irishbirding.com/birds/web/Display/sighting/121812/Common_Nighthawk.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i seem to have a lot of bees hovering around in my garage lately, they're up around the rafters for some reason??

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

fryup wrote: »
    i seem to have a lot of bees hovering around in my garage lately, they're up around the rafters for some reason??

Are you sure they are Bees, Drone Flies are looking for nooks and crannies in which to hibernate at the moment and they resemble/mimic male Honeybees.....

eristalis-tenax-17068d6a-8b72-4d74-a7fc-87441d6aee8-resize-750.jpeg
    Google Image.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

https://youtu.be/oyOwqQTkbXQ
    0.3 acre nettle/hogweed early cover patch for corncrake.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what sort of ground prep do you do for that, if any? lots of potash?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

what sort of ground prep do you do for that, if any? lots of potash?

Prespray with roundup. In total around 150 trailer loads of spent mushroom compost bought in, dumped and leveled with digger. Dig up 1000 nettle sods and then wash. Break up nettle rhizomes over mushroom compost with some common hogweed seed. Cover with thin layer of mushroom compost. Control any chickweed/cleavers/creeping thistle/scutch grass. Fertilize with 0-16-0. Nettle bed done in 5 sections ,started in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Slugs.. I am resting abed today and gazing at the glass panel on the outside door. It is a maze of slug tracks. Every inch back and forth.. busy critters..

Is this a seasonal thing? I have had a couple indoors that have slimed in under the door. Tiny ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Poor photo, bird was high up enough for my phone camera.

Comeragh foothills, at about 200m. Anyone able to identify the bird?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,151 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Looks like a buzzard.

Buzzard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Definitely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

Drove from Swords through Ballyboughal and on to Skerries today and saw 12 different Buzzards, they seem to be doing really well in North county Dublin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, we saw loads of buzzards over the weekend too. possibly a lot to do with the clear weather, i suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yes you will see loads of Buzzards on sunny days soaring in sky in North Dublin. However I see ar least one buzzard everyday no matter what the weather on my daily drive on M50 northbound. They love perching on side + watching traffic go by!

The M4 near Maynooth is another popular hangout for them.

I love them especially when soaring in the sky.

Must be something in air, 3 buzzards in a week

Mod Edit: Precise locations of birds of prey should not be made publicly available due to risk of persecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

Just had a visit from a Goldcrest in the garden what a little beauty.

What burrowed this?

Glove is for scale, maybe 40-50mm diameter.

In an ash plantation

Probably a rat, I'd say. Or a large mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Saw one of those once in a lifetime sight's this morning. Was coming up to a roundabout close to home, when a Buzzard dropped from a tree right in front of my car, and caught a red squirrel on the grass verge, the other side of the road. Watched it for maybe half a minute till the car behind me start blowing it's horn. Buzzard didnt even move after all the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ulmus

Sad to see the photo of a dead Golden Plover which was killed, presumably, after colliding with Liberty Hall at night. http://www.irishbirding.com/birds/web/Display/sighting/123640/Golden_Plover.html

Is there any way of reducing these bird collisions in a city? It would be great if SIPTU and other premises would take measures to reduce these fatalities.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Ulmus wrote: »
    Sad to see the photo of a dead Golden Plover which was killed, presumably, after colliding with Liberty Hall at night. http://www.irishbirding.com/birds/web/Display/sighting/123640/Golden_Plover.html

Is there any way of reducing these bird collisions in a city? It would be great if SIPTU and other premises would take measures to reduce these fatalities.

Possible Peregrine predation rather than collision? Might have been disturbed by a gull or similar before it got to eating it?

Advertisement